Finding Land to Invest In

12 hours ago, sungod said:

Well, most of your reply about property is irrelevant, you should stay on topic.

Land is not under the same pressure, 2 different markets. Suggest you refrain from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about.

Seeing as I have been buying and selling land since 1990 here in Thailand and always made a profit, may I suggest that you refrain  from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about.

I stopped in the early 2000's because it wasn't profitable within a reasonable time frame and there were much better opportunities to make money........just like the present.

Land is slightly more liquid than land with buildings on them, but, not enough to make it worth while.

So.......what are your qualifications to comment on this subject (you'll make something up, I'm sure).

Edited by KarenBravo

7 hours ago, Don Chance said:

People don't invest in physical land or properties anymore. They invest in REITS.

VNQ in the USA is one of the biggest.

A better investment is in CHINA, CapitaLand China Trust, SGX: AU8U

They own malls and retail parks in CHINA. This will gain 10-20% a year i believe.

https://www.clct.com.sg/portfolio.html

Another play right now is office reits. If you think people won't return to the office every again.

One reason I want to invest in Thai land is because I can.

The main reason is the security, not the making of heaps of money. I'm planning a change from a volatile market, crypto. 

On 3/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, Neeranam said:

I'm looking to find some land as an investment in these strange times, when Fiat money is losing 15% per year. 

Where is the best place to find good deals? 

Maybe the bank or land office, or some where else. 

If your talking about land in Thailand, as long as you know your investment could disappear overnight, because as you are most probably aware.

1) Foreigners cannot own land in Thailand

2) You buy it in your wife/GF's name and then when and if the relationship goes sour, they sell it and you get ZERO.

Personally I wouldn't land in Thailand as an investment, can understand what your saying about the state of the fiat money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

One reason I want to invest in Thai land is because I can.

The main reason is the security, not the making of heaps of money. I'm planning a change from a volatile market, crypto. 

To invest securely you need to diversify. Putting all your money into land in Thailand is not diversify.

You want some growth stocks, some defensive, health care, reits, etc.  Crypto is just gambling.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

To invest securely you need to diversify. Putting all your money into land in Thailand is not diversify.

You want some growth stocks, some defensive, health care, reits, etc.  Crypto is just gambling.

I don't understand how you think stocks or reits are not gambling but Bitcoin is. 

• Sad 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:19 AM, Golden Triangle said:

There is no way some one can afford to buy land around here now unless they are insanely rich and have a time span of maybe 20 to 30 years to make a bit of profit.

As for inland Thailand I can't really think of anywhere where you could buy, hold for a couple or 3 years then sell at a decent profit,

As I said, we are not in the 80's anymore.  

On 3/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, rimmae2 said:

In the last 20 years approx my wife (with my assistance) has purchased 3 plots of land; one on the outskirts of an economically sound village where she lived when she was young - land was sold for 6 times purchase price about 5 years later; (ii) one about 5km from centre of Thailand's second city - land was sold for greater % profit than in (i) but held longer; (iii) idyllic location about 25 km from centre of city in (ii) - if we could sell the land today then probably profit would be no more than 300%. 

When was the last purchase and sale?

On 3/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, KarenBravo said:

Instead of using those juvenile emoticons, how about giving a real answer to my question?

Reading through some of your answers you clearly no longer understand the topic, I thought I would communicate with you in a medium you may understand better.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, Neeranam said:

Where is the best place to find good deals? 

UK, Australia, some parts of the US, British Virgin Islands, Barbados, France, Greece; definitely not Thailand, where you can't own it directly and outright anyway. You do know this right? 

• Sad 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:38 AM, KarenBravo said:

Seeing as I have been buying and selling land since 1990 here in Thailand and always made a profit, may I suggest that you refrain  from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about.

I stopped in the early 2000's because it wasn't profitable within a reasonable time frame and there were much better opportunities to make money........just like the present.

Land is slightly more liquid than land with buildings on them, but, not enough to make it worth while.

So.......what are your qualifications to comment on this subject (you'll make something up, I'm sure).

So you are a Thai citizen then? Otherwise you were doing it for someone else. Bit risky here. 

8 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

UK, Australia, some parts of the US, British Virgin Islands, Barbados, France, Greece; definitely not Thailand, where you can't own it directly and outright anyway. You do know this right? 

I am a naturalized Thai citizen.

It is legitimate to challenge some of the posts on here, in answer to the OP, as the impression is being given by some, that you can trade in land and property here as if you were in a western country.  Newbies could get entirely the wrong impression on what is and what is not possible/advisable here and what is and what is not highly risky. There are too many sad stories on here and other forums,. of people being duped here on land/property deals and losing everything.  Invest by all means, but expect to lose it all and sure as God made little green apples, don't expect to make any kind of profit.  The odd people do, but it is rare indeed. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

It is legitimate to challenge some of the posts on here, in answer to the OP, as the impression is being given by some, that you can trade in land and property here as if you were in a western country.  Newbies could get entirely the wrong impression on what is and what is not possible/advisable here and what is and what is not highly risky. There are too many sad stories on here are other forums,. of people being duped here on land/property deals and losing everything.  Invest by all means, but expect to lose it all and sure as God made little green apples, don't expect to make any kind of profit.  The odd people do, but it is rare indeed. 

Could you give some details? Where exactly can/do people get burnt? Is this only in Thailand?

I understand and have known foreigners that marry prostitutes and then buy land in their name, getting ripped off. This is, of course, a foolish thing to do. 

I understand the land office has the reputation of being the most corrupt office in the country, but could they actually give me false documents or something? What is the best way to avoid these scammers? Maybe a good lawyer?

Sorry for all the questions! 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Could you give some details? Where exactly can/do people get burnt? Is this only in Thailand?

I understand and have known foreigners that marry prostitutes and then buy land in their name, getting ripped off. This is, of course, a foolish thing to do. 

I understand the land office has the reputation of being the most corrupt office in the country, but could they actually give me false documents or something? What is the best way to avoid these scammers? Maybe a good lawyer?

Sorry for all the questions! 

You just said that you are a Thai Citizen, so you are surely in a much better position to answer these questions than me, or most people on this forum?  

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

You just said that you are a Thai Citizen, so you are surely in a much better position to answer these questions than me, or most people on this forum?  

Not at all. I've only been Thai for 3 months and know practically nothing about buying houses and land. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:34 PM, KannikaP said:

I have seen it quite a few times recently. Please explain FIAT money, thanks.

The present monetary system is fiat losing each individual up to 15% in inflation etc per year 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think it is a bit of a myth that land in Thailand will always appreciate. Most Thai people think this, but have unrealistic expectations about how much land is actually worth. 

It is easy as a newbie to get sucked into all this and buy a piece of land. But very few will make any money out of this.

Having said this, if you know your area, know locals with their ear to the ground, and have cash available, it is always possible to get a bargain. But it may take a year or more.

Rural land tends to be more valuable if it is within a few kilometres of a size-able town, has access by all-weather bitumen roads, and has some attractive features that set it apart from surrounding land (e.g. some nice mature trees, permanent pond(s), raised portion, backing onto a creek etc.).

In my view, if you buy a rural lot (with the view to not selling for at least 5 years) the best thing you can do is to plant some trees around the borders and in other strategic locations. A plot with a few trees will always sell before otherwise bare plots.

Don't buy in the period August - November. This is when all the public sector people retire, get their lump sums and look for land to buy. It's hard to get a bargain in this period.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:34 PM, KannikaP said:

I have seen it quite a few times recently. Please explain FIAT money, thanks.

= Currency 

but maybe I did not pay attention yet around the time Bretton Woods happened.

• Confused 1