Finding Land to Invest In

I just had sold my European property and bought nicely located farmland in north Thailand. Fiat cannot be trusted any more.

Settlements and Industry eat fertile land. but people get more and farmland can not be substituted by technology and people must ear also in future. So it shall never get worthless. 

• Like 1

Ask your (Thai) relatives to keep their ears open; the best deals come along when someone suddenly needs money and has some land they dont use. They often never even reach the point of putting up signs so you need your family members to listen around and see whats happening.

(Some relative of my wife also sold that way, for too little money and screwing over the other relatives. He needed the cash and someone just happenend to know that and made an offer, the deal was done before anyone else knew about it)

• Like 1

Forget the banks repo listings.  Hard to find good deals.  They prefer to hold onto the property for years asking high prices than trying to get rid of it.

You can try looking on ddproperty.com but I think you will find better deals elsewhere.  I know in my jungwat there are facebook pages of people who list property for sale.  You could look for some of those but have to search in thai language.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

It’s only an investment if you can get your money OUT..... in years to come who are the buyers going to be...... 

decades ago I bought a piece of land on a glorious beachfront..... after a couple of years the next door land became a beach resort, he needed my land, I doubled my money and bit his arm off..... BUT every other piece of land that I could have chosen is STILL for sale over 20 years later

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm looking to find some land as an investment in these strange times, when Fiat money is losing 15% per year. 

Where is the best place to find good deals? 

Maybe the bank or land office, or some where else. 

Are you aware that a foreigner cannot just own land in Thailand?

You might find some stocks on SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand) in property business, stocks are easy to buy NVDR (no voting rights as foreigner), and easy to sell, by opening a trading account for example through a Thai bank.

Physical land can be difficult, and a long lasting process to sell, when you wish to cash in from your investment. The land will not be registered in your name, and using the company limited-method to "own land", you only own 49 percent of the company's shares, and furthermore have company maintenance costs to pay.

Industrial land and farm land, if it's the right deed title and in the right area, might have best long term prospective in my horizon. However some tourist destinations might soon have affordable land, or business property, for sale, but there might also be too much for sale later, during too long time, keeping the resale prices low.

In my view, there are no fast earning investment deals in Thai land right now, so it's a question for how long term you are looking, and also if you expect to generate some income (interest) from the land until you finally sell off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Thai property as an investment? You are years too late. With the economy as it is, there is downward pressure on land and properties here. You would be better off buying bonds, or stocks with high dividends in the US or Europe. These are both liquid, whereas land and property here are not.

No matter where you go there are properties that have been up for sale for years.

Only reason to buy now is if you are going to live in it, or farm it.

He's looking for land, not property. Still plenty of money to be made on the right piece of land.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sungod said:

He's looking for land, not property. Still plenty of money to be made on the right piece of land.

What is the future use of the land? 

If it's in the tourist areas, fair chance it will be for redevelopment, and that development will be for what, hotels, condos, commercial premises?  There's already an oversupply of all of these.  

It may take a decade, or more, for demand to reach the current oversupply, and it's not guaranteed.  

The land / property investment ship sailed long ago for Thailand.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What is the future use of the land? 

If it's in the tourist areas, fair chance it will be for redevelopment, and that development will be for what, hotels, condos, commercial premises?  There's already an oversupply of all of these.  

It may take a decade, or more, for demand to reach the current oversupply, and it's not guaranteed.  

The land / property investment ship sailed long ago for Thailand.

Always money to be made on the right piece of land, just need to do your homework. Saying that the ship sailed on land in Thailand is naive/ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 5:23 PM, Neeranam said:

I'm looking to find some land as an investment in these strange times, when Fiat money is losing 15% per year. 

Where is the best place to find good deals? 

Maybe the bank or land office, or some where else. 

There was a thread about recommendations for investing 4 million baht back in August (you were a contributor to that thread so may have read it) and I wrote there the following:

‘If you are not looking for a substantial regular income, the investment I can recommend that is head and shoulders the best in Thailand is to buy productive farmland. Get to know an area very well over a year or two, introduce yourself to locals, particularly agents (there's one on every corner in the countryside), get to know price history, study the topography, learn about water supply, soil conditions and so on. Then buy. Put in some effort and you will reap rewards. I started doing this when I retired as I had spare cash, like you. The plots we have bought over the years have each appreciated in value by 15-20% per year. I know of no other investment here better than this. Put your 4 million baht on an Excel sheet and do the math.

Two obvious caveats: as a foreigner you can't own land in your name, so if you don't have an appropriate set up, I'm sorry you won't be able to do it. Secondly it should be looked at as a long term investment to get the most out of your money. Certainly not less than five years and 10-20 years better. So buy four plots at 1 million each, then you'll be able to sell them off at different times when you need the cash.’

This advice above is based on my own experience, not hearsay.

You want to search for good land for INVESTMENT not for making money actually farming it. You can let someone else (a good local farmer) look after it for you for free or even a small rent if you like.

Look for land that is in an area of natural beauty and a specific location that you yourself would find very desirable to live. NOT land that some relative is touting as a ‘bargain’ in the back of beyond and NOT barren land that is good for nothing. There is so much useless land around and it is cheap for a reason.

I am close friends with four land agents in and around Chiang Mai who I keep in regular touch with and I also keep my ear to the ground regarding land movements local to where our plots are. I can assure you that good land as described hasn’t gone out of fashion! Here in Chiang Mai farmland in places of great beauty is being purchased mainly by Thai INVESTORS in Bangkok and while transactions have been slower over the past year, mainly due to Covid fears and travel restrictions, there is still demand.

There is plenty of money around among the investing class and don’t let anyone without experience tell you otherwise.

Property, particularly condos - now that's another story altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

The plots we have bought over the years have each appreciated in value by 15-20% per year. I know of no other investment here better than this.

Could you share how many plots you actually have sold, and realized that 15-20% per year value increase?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Did you notice that I also included land? 

My point was to show that land and property are under the same pressures.

Maybe you should get a hobby?

45 minutes ago, sungod said:

Always money to be made on the right piece of land, just need to do your homework. Saying that the ship sailed on land in Thailand is naive/ridiculous.

Got an example of a future use of land, and a city location, or is it all rubber tree farms in Issan?  ????

33 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I can recommend that is head and shoulders the best in Thailand is to buy productive farmland.

What crop or animal do you suggest to farm?

All well and good to suggest buying farm land, but it depends on what is farmed on that land, that is where the return on investment is made.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

The plots we have bought over the years have each appreciated in value by 15-20% per year.

Says who?

Have you tried to sell one?

The market determines the value, not you, and comparative sales here can not be relied upon, because there are so many out of line sales here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Did you notice that I also included land? 

My point was to show that land and property are under the same pressures.

Maybe you should get a hobby?

Well, most of your reply about property is irrelevant, you should stay on topic.

Land is not under the same pressure, 2 different markets. Suggest you refrain from commenting on something you clearly have no idea about.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Got an example of a future use of land, and a city location, or is it all rubber tree farms in Issan?  ????

Sure, shall I post it on an open forum or just PM you?

Do your own research.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sungod said:

Sure, shall I post it on an open forum or just PM you?

Do your own research.

Open forum is fine.  

Can you also say, no need for accuracy, a lose approximate is fine, over what time frame said land investment will yield?  

35 minutes ago, sungod said:

Land is not under the same pressure, 2 different markets.

Property, which usually depreciates over time, sits on land that usually appreciates over time.  They are not two different markets.  Eg.  the developer that buy a "property" and bulldozes it and builds a structure that better reflects the highest and best use of that land.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Leaver, you don't appear to have a clue about land investments.

I know enough to know the words investment, land, property, and foreigner should not be used in the same sentence here.  We are not in the 80's anymore.  

land and property (houses and condos, etc) are two entirely different markets

Do the properties float in mid air?

land prices tend to hold up and to increase in value (you got that part right), while buildings depreciate and also fall in value during a glut or economic downturn such as we are experiencing now.

I guess I got the second part right as well, unless you are going to tell me the value of a 40 year old house here is all about the bricks and mortar, and not the land it sits on.  

You also haven't understood that buying productive farmland as an investment is not about 'ROI' as in profits from selling crops or livestock

So, outlay an amount of money on a non productive asset, in the HOPE you can sell it years into the future and it will return more than what that money would have made invested elsewhere, year on year.  Sounds like solid investment advice.  ????

I said that you can let someone farm your land for you without charge, or apply a small rental,

Sounds like a great investment.  Free, or cheap use of land for a tenant.  Let me guess, they would be your Thai missus' family.  ????

but about land value appreciation and capital gains, which can be substantial.

Where, in rural Thailand.  I don't think so.

May I ask, do you have any experience buying and selling land in Thailand?

No.  I am not that stupid.

How many rural plots of land have you bought and sold, and over what time period, and where, and for how much profit?

Or are you just voicing your opinion, based on anecdotes and hearsay?

I researched this some years ago.  It's lose - lose for farang here.

I noted that recently you wrote in another thread:

"Leaver wrote: My most expensive assets in Thailand are my motorbike, and my home entertainment system." 

Correct.

Thailand is for Thai's, and they will tell you this, and Thai law supports this.  That aside, supply and demand economics can not be relied upon here.  

Anyway, just how much do you think a few rai of jungle in rural Thailand is going to appreciate over the next 5 years?  I'm currently getting around 6% in my home country, where I can actually own the asset, and it's liquid, and you want to tell me some patch of jungle in rural Thailand can compete.  You are funny.  ????  

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1

I have no idea so I'm just gonna play devils advocate because I can, as many will know, I live out on the Darkside of Pattaya around lake Mabprachan, until maybe 20 years ( maybe more, but not much ) there was bog all out here, then all of a sudden developers started building gated communities, shop houses and all sorts of crazy stuff, large private houses with pools started appearing, the red dirt road got tarmac'd.

I have a number of friends who retired here before this all happened, they saw the potential and via wives or girlfriends bought prime plots of land around the lake for peanuts, those plots of 2, 3 or 4 Rai are now commanding mega money.

There is no way some one can afford to buy land around here now unless they are insanely rich and have a time span of maybe 20 to 30 years to make a bit of profit.

As for inland Thailand I can't really think of anywhere where you could buy, hold for a couple or 3 years then sell at a decent profit, but as I said at the start I'm not an investor it's just how I see it, if I had been 35 again with a few Bob to spare then maybe I would think differently, enjoy you purchases & profits ????????

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:41 PM, Neeranam said:

what is this at the end of your link ?

#:~:text=Fiat%20money%20is%20a%20government,U.S.%20dollar%2C%20are%20fiat%20currencies.

it it added by the forum ? because the real link is

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiatmoney.asp

People don't invest in physical land or properties anymore. They invest in REITS.

VNQ in the USA is one of the biggest.

A better investment is in CHINA, CapitaLand China Trust, SGX: AU8U

They own malls and retail parks in CHINA. This will gain 10-20% a year i believe.

https://www.clct.com.sg/portfolio.html

Another play right now is office reits. If you think people won't return to the office every again.

Edited by Don Chance