Chiang Mai: Haze health warning: "Worst in world" again and dire conditions set to continue all week

webfact

Chiang Mai: Haze health warning: "Worst in world" again and dire conditions set to continue all week

spacer.png

Picture: Daily News

There was continuing bad news as the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai was still blanketed in haze.

Daily News reported that the department of pollution was warning the elderly, those with young children and people with health conditions to watch their health and activities closely.

Four testing stations in Chiang Mai had high levels of PM 2.5 - Chang Pheuak with 113 micrograms, Sri Phoon 106, Suthep 90 and Thepparat Hospital 88. 

The media said that things were only getting worse with the haze expected to remain for a week.

Weather and atmospheric conditions were trapping the particulate matter over the city.

In addition an index of cities around the world with bad pollution, iqair.com, gave the city a 195 rating at 7 am yesterday.

This was the worst in the world with Beijing in second. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-11

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brickbat said:

“ why you complain? Why you talk bad? Don’t think too much” 

mai dai. Mai mi. Mai ruuh.

we folks (expats)  have only 1 option! Put up or get out. As it’s mai pen rai

Mai pen rai...(snorts...hack..spits out giant loggie on the sidewalk...mask on chin)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

The thai people are burning forest all over Chiang Mai the air is terrible of course they say all the air is coming from Miramar TIT

Call in the Thai Army and haul giant fans to mae sai border to blow it all back! :)....or boost economy for locals to stand there with paper hand fans?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

There was continuing bad news as the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai was still blanketed in haze.

Every year the same issue.... time the PM got all the governors in along with headmen, farmers and company owners.... and sprayed them with sanitiser to show his disgust.

That'll do it.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

those with young children and people with health conditions to watch their health and activities closely.

So, is this the solution? talking about the effect and not looking for a solution to the cause ????

• Thanks 1

My Thai ex (we were together 4 1/2 years) wanted me a year ago to move up there with her (and ideally buy a house for us). That was one of the reasons (though not the main one) why we broke up. Now she found a way to buy a house there 10 miles SW of the old town and she's got her son's family with her the last I heard. If I wished her ill I'd say say good, but I don't wish her ill, quite the contrary. But I don't understand why she couldn't see that this would go on and on.

Edited by Enzian
typo

26 minutes ago, brommers said:

Until the Thai population become activists and start demonstrating & demanding action from the local and national government there will be no solution. Many locals are totally complicit and untouchable, and big agri-business does not give a damn. We can study the numbers until doomsday and still there will be no improvement. 

Phayao has a burning ban. Most seems to be abiding by that. Mae Hong Son apparently does not or it is not generally accepted. 

30 minutes ago, brommers said:

Until the Thai population become activists and start demonstrating & demanding action from the local and national government there will be no solution. Many locals are totally complicit and untouchable, and big agri-business does not give a damn. We can study the numbers until doomsday and still there will be no improvement. 

Thais love burning anything that is even vaguely flammable.....combine that with total ignorance of the effects of burning and you get Chang Mai's all over the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Thais love burning anything

That is the basis.

Then I'll add an inversion to this and combine it with continuing replenishment from Myanmar. That's it.

Firemapper shows very clearly the situation west of the Thai-Myanmar border.

Cambodia is the other hotspot responsible for air pollution in Isaan.

'inversion'

https://www.weather.gov/media/lzk/inversion101.pdf

Edited by Yom
  • Like 1