Thailand says Moderna to apply for COVID-19 vaccine approval this month

snoop1130

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Even with the ramping up production, the US finishing their vaccination plan in May, no vaccine will be available to import unit 2021? Interesting that they are all applying to import if they do not have any vaccine to sell.

Always mysteries 

of planned in 2021 1bln production of J&J some 800mln is already contracted.  South africa want's to buy this one, because it's doing well with their mutation.

merck will also help JJ to make some doses, but they didn't say, how many

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html#jnj 

I think the only way for thailand for this vax is by buying indirectly, from COVAX, for inflated price

Really, do you feel at risk in Thailand ? after all, I am not sure that I want to be vaccinated, vaccines don't seem so safe ; Moderna may be Ok, but I am not in a hurry 

it will be mandatory to be vaccinated ? here, nobody has or had the corona 

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

merck will also help JJ to make some doses, but they didn't say, how many

Enough to move up completion of US population vaccination, from July to May. Yes Moderna helps with that date too. A doc on BBC vid stated right now there is a bottleneck but in two or three months there will be lots. Everybody is ramping up production; that include Sinovac & Sputnik V.

It depends on what Thailand wants to do. Thai production of Astrazeneca will run into 2022.  Slow and steady but, can you re open tourism on the large scale without having the bulk of the population vaccinated?! Doubtful.

11 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

This ramping up will increase vaccine available on the open market. Not just the Johnson and Johnson vaccine; Pfizer and Moderna vaccines as well.

I really hope the Pfizer vaccine is available in Thailand.  There seems to be a lot of positive reports about that one.

What pray tell has been taking them so long,  as of today 89 million people in the U.S have been vaccinated .

The goal is to to have every person over 18 who wants the vaccine to get it by May 1. That is the way to end the pandemic and crisis in the economy to 1,000's of small business's .

89, million is more than the entire population of Thailand. If someone in charge had the forsight to purchase the vaccine the whole country would be vaccinated by now and the borders would be open and the sinking economy here would again start to prosper. Dumb A _ _ es 

23 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

First it is Moderna not Johnson & Johnson that have applied for Thai approval.

Secondly, US Prez Biden used The Defense Production Act, to have Merck Pharmaceutical help manufacture rival (J&J) vaccine at their facilities. He has also pushed to have Moderna and Pfizer increase production. This will enable the US to have complete vaccination of the population by May. At least two months earlier than previous estimates. This ramping up will increase vaccine available on the open market. Not just the Johnson and Johnson vaccine; Pfizer and Moderna vaccines as well.  
|
One hopes this will help with Thailand's vaccination plans, but maybe not.      

Well I'm not denying in the US we are doing quite well.

My Thai wife has had both her Moderna shots, I've had the first Pfizer, second one scheduled for March 29.

But to clarify one point. What President Biden said was all adults would be eligible to be vaccinated in May. That just means that States won't be applying the tiered rollout we are currently doing. My wife was a 1A as a defense employee, and I am a 1D.

Thats what is being changed and everyone will be eligible in May to schedule a vaccine shot. Now when you will be able to get an appointment remains to be seen.

Makes me happy since this may well accelerate the ability of my kids to get vaccinated early

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:22 PM, Phaser said:

My close friends and even not so close friends have already been fully vaccinated with Moderna or Pfizer in the USA now - Thailand is way behind the curve on this !! 

even me  who don't know you got my shot of  moderna last month.

it was a piece of cake and no hassle.

the big issue is that I am planning to come to Thailand in June/july

It will be more than 3 month from now. But my vaccination does not fall in their 3 month window. I will be quarantine for 10 days.

The quarantine sucks....will just wait.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:41 AM, Aforek said:

Really, do you feel at risk in Thailand ? after all, I am not sure that I want to be vaccinated, vaccines don't seem so safe ; Moderna may be Ok, but I am not in a hurry 

it will be mandatory to be vaccinated ? here, nobody has or had the corona 

Moderna/Pfizer is a better vaccine and safe.. It is more reliable that other because of its composition.

Your safe bet will be moderna and you should take it if available.

The wait game is a throw of dice.

We know for a fact the tourism industry can't survive as long the quarantine is in place. however Countries are going lock down even though they administer the vaccine. bad for thailand... they will have to live without tourism for a while

Having the vaccines, administer it and people desire to take it  -all are another story the number delivered versus people taking the vaccines is never the same.

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2021 at 12:25 PM, DirtyFarang said:

They came around my village late last week peddling the Sinovac vaccine.  My wife told them, "No thanks."  The nurse that was along said, "I don't blame you.  I'm not getting it either."

Nice, huh, peddling the cheap Chinese vaccine to all the poor villagers of the country?  Expendable, I guess.

Chile Says Sinovac Is 80% Effective Against Death From Covid

Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s vaccine is 67% effective in preventing symptomatic Covid-19 infections and wards off 80% of fatalities from the disease, according to a Chilean government study published on Friday.

The report said the Sinovac vaccine was 85% effective against hospitalizations and 89% in preventing people from entering intensive care units. This is the first such evidence showing how well the Chinese shot can protect against Covid-19 after it’s been widely used in a population.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-16/chile-says-sinovac-shot-67-effective-vs-symptomatic-covid-cases-knkcmpwk

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s vaccine is 67% effective in preventing symptomatic Covid-19 infections and wards off 80% of fatalities from the disease, according to a Chilean government study published on Friday.

The report said the Sinovac vaccine was 85% effective against hospitalizations and 89% in preventing people from entering intensive care units. This is the first such evidence showing how well the Chinese shot can protect against Covid-19 after it’s been widely used in a population.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-16/chile-says-sinovac-shot-67-effective-vs-symptomatic-covid-cases-knkcmpwk

anything from China is very confusing and (for me) untrustworthy

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/04/06/opinion/columnists/topanalysis/shocking-report-on-sinovac-vaccinations-increased-covid-cases-after-using-vaccine/860478/

“The Hong Kong government recently rolled out a large-scale vaccination plan against the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as Covid-19, but it’s been mired by frequent reports of serious adverse reactions. In just one month, 13 people died in Hong Kong after being inoculated, 11 of whom had been injected with the Sinovac vaccine, a Chinese domestically made vaccine.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/world-news-china-admits-that-its-covid-19-vaccines-dont-have-high-protection-rates/379981

China Admits That Its Covid-19 Vaccines ‘Don’t Have High Protection Rates’

Chinese authorities have said that they are contemplating to ‘mix’ various Covid-19 vaccines to boost the effectiveness of their jabs

The effectiveness of a Sinovac vaccine at preventing symptomatic infections was found to be as low as 50.4 per cent

Edited by Mavideol

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Pity its not more than 80%, one of the least effective vaccines on the market for preventing death. The Chile University report from which the goverment got its data was a little less complimentary.

"A study in Chile, which has one of the furthest-advanced vaccination campaigns in South America -- mainly with China's Coronavac, has found that a first dose alone does not protect against coronavirus infection.

The study by the University of Chile found inoculation to be 56.5 percent effective in protecting recipients two weeks after the second dose, and 27.7 percent effective within the first two weeks.

But for a single dose, efficacy in the 28 days between the first and second dose was only three percent -- on par with the margin of error in such studies, it said."

https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/04/07/21/chile-study-shows-first-sinovac-shot-alone-not-protective

7 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/04/06/opinion/columnists/topanalysis/shocking-report-on-sinovac-vaccinations-increased-covid-cases-after-using-vaccine/860478/

“The Hong Kong government recently rolled out a large-scale vaccination plan against the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as Covid-19, but it’s been mired by frequent reports of serious adverse reactions. In just one month, 13 people died in Hong Kong after being inoculated, 11 of whom had been injected with the Sinovac vaccine, a Chinese domestically made vaccine.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/world-news-china-admits-that-its-covid-19-vaccines-dont-have-high-protection-rates/379981

Chinese authorities have said that they are contemplating to ‘mix’ various Covid-19 vaccines to boost the effectiveness of their jabs

The effectiveness of a Sinovac vaccine at preventing symptomatic infections was found to be as low as 50.4 per cent

Yet the CCP has not reported a single case of serious side effects or death after it announced the administering of 100 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine in China on March 28. Thats transparency for you.

We have to rely on other countries to report any serious side effects or deaths.

25 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

This is your idea of a reliable source of information? Somebody who calls Covid-19 the CCP virus? Who gets his information from the Epoch Times?

"The Epoch Times opposes the Chinese Communist Party,[20] promotes far-right politicians in Europe,[3][5] and has backed President Donald Trump in the U.S.;[21] a 2019 report by NBC News showed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign.[18][22][23] The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation.[18][24][25] In 2020, the New York Times called it a "global-scale misinformation machine".[21]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times

Human Rights Watch

Beijing is playing a dangerous game. To scare people off from taking vaccines – by not disclosing data on the safety of its new vaccines and discrediting others’ vaccines – is only going to prolong the pandemic. This is something that no one, least of all Chinese authorities, should want.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/04/chinas-dangerous-game-around-covid-19-vaccines

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"A study in Chile, which has one of the furthest-advanced vaccination campaigns in South America -- mainly with China's Coronavac, has found that a first dose alone does not protect against coronavirus infection.

The study by the University of Chile found inoculation to be 56.5 percent effective in protecting recipients two weeks after the second dose, and 27.7 percent effective within the first two weeks.

But for a single dose, efficacy in the 28 days between the first and second dose was only three percent -- on par with the margin of error in such studies, it said."

https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/04/07/21/chile-study-shows-first-sinovac-shot-alone-not-protective

Too many people don't seem to understand what efficacy and effectiveness mean. Basically, they're about protecting from infection. It says nothing about the severity of symptoms. And at 85% the Coronavac vaccine is very effective in preventing symptoms severe enough to require hospitalization and, of course, death. 

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Too many people don't seem to understand what efficacy and effectiveness mean. Basically, they're about protecting from infection. It says nothing about the severity of symptoms. And at 85% the Coronavac vaccine is very effective in preventing symptoms severe enough to require hospitalization and, of course, death. 

I'm aware of the difference, I think most people have Google to make the distinction on vaccine effectiveness and efficacy. The Chilean government seems to be contradicting the Chilean University that did the study however. From the University:

It estimated Coronavac's efficacy in real-life conditions at 54 percent 

56.5 percent effective in protecting recipients two weeks after the second dose

Edited by Bkk Brian

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

This is your idea of a reliable source of information? Somebody who calls Covid-19 the CCP virus? Who gets his information from the Epoch Times?

"The Epoch Times opposes the Chinese Communist Party,[20] promotes far-right politicians in Europe,[3][5] and has backed President Donald Trump in the U.S.;[21] a 2019 report by NBC News showed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign.[18][22][23] The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread conspiracy theories such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation.[18][24][25] In 2020, the New York Times called it a "global-scale misinformation machine".[21]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Epoch_Times

does this one pleases/fits you better