Bang Khae market COVID-19 cluster spreads to 4 more provinces

webfact

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

A worrying development, I see they have asked anyone who attended any of six bustling Bangkok markets for a 3 week period to report for testing.

How many 10,000s would that be ? Not even including the close contacts of these people.

I wonder how the authorities will respond, or if they are able to respond ? The area quarantine (of mostly migrants) approach used in Samut Sakhon is going to be impossible in Bangkok. This might be the cluster that finally beats them and we head into another widespread lockdown. At which point their snail-paced vaccine acquisition programme comes home to roost. 

Time for a public health initiative to completely shut down/refurbish or modernize many of these markets, which lets face it, were often pretty disgusting pre-COVID and have not modernized at the same pace as the rest of Bangkok. I recall during the first lockdown in early-mid 2020 many vendors and customers in these markets were simply not bothering with precautions. 

It’s a far more complex solution required rather than just shut down and modernise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Markets here are historically a focal point for several outbreaks, there is no denying that. Gambling dens and boxing stadiums come in a distant second and third. Nor should it come as a shock given the number of people who traverse a market on a daily basis. 

As such, they should get extra daily scrutiny - and maybe they already are - involving inspections, enforcement, pooled-testing. I'd re-focus some of the village health care workers, of which there are one million, onto the markets.

• Like 2

Under the bed, ! under the bed !   

In my second quarantine now in Indonesia, 4 more days of a 5 day quarantine, two tests then i'm out, few beers and a scour round the town then back to work......  10,000 bht a quarantine....... lovely.......  Keep the coin coming in until the doors fall off at the border, then it'll be just like walking over the green belt in Cyprus.......       Ghost town, with thousands of emaciated mummified bodies hiding under beds, patiently waiting for the all clear..........  

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, SwampyThai said:

Ohhhhh of course it has only spread to 4 more provinces, woe betide that naughty virus if it dare to go elsewhere. I was going to liken the powers to be with Muppets but that would be an insult............. to the Muppets.

Hey, did it fill in a TM30 ?     

• Haha 1

well I am like the general I do not want a vaccine any vaccine for months I want to wait and see how it goes with the people that have had them, I old school and my Thai wife has said she never wants one, with no prodding from me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1