State Quarantine Will Be Shortened to 10 Days

rooster59

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Incorrect!!!!!

They are known by those names as it is where they were originally discovered not necessarily originated.

There is no certainty that the "UK variant" was or wasn't already in Europe, USA, SA, et al, but the UK is better at isolating the variants than some other places.

Granted then same could be said about Wuhan then. Bit semantic but on my part origin was maybe not the best word. Regardless it is still called the UK variant. The only thing that concerns me is how it pertains to me entering Thailand cbf where it come from. As for the Thais I think they may not understand the semantics as well. Let's see.

• Like 1

Where can we find the current COVID variants list the Thai Embassies are speaking about ???

I asked my local embassy and they said contact the hotel, so the embassy don’t know about the list.

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No indication yet what countries will be included in the 10 day quarantine. I can’t see a 7 day quarantine for vaccinated people as no one has decided how a Vaccination Passport would work.

According to what I read today the 10 days is happening, the vaccine passport is shelfed, and ther will be discussion (read delay) about status of people who have been vaccinated.  But 11 days is still better than 16 . Go Thailand! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DJBenz said:

Correct. The UK has, apparently, world-leading genome sequencing facilities which means we were much more likely to discover a new variant, regardless of where it originated. Sadly, that variant is now forever tagged with 'Kent' and the UK with ownership (even if it's not our fault). Europe currently has far more of the "UK" variant than we do. Still, we've have to improve exports now that Brexit has happened. lol

Probably the same with Wuhan then ????????????

Edited by starky

10 minutes ago, bolt said:

Where can we find the current COVID variants list the Thai Embassies are speaking about ???

I asked my local embassy and they said contact the hotel, so the embassy don’t know about the list.

Thai Government hasn't  even made up their mind yet. I'd wait till April . I did read today that probably the 10 days will happen the rest is all bs no mention of the variant countries.

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Incorrect!!!!!

They are known by those names as it is where they were originally discovered not necessarily originated.

There is no certainty that the "UK variant" was or wasn't already in Europe, USA, SA, et al, but the UK is better at isolating the variants than some other places.

Not so good in reducing cases or saving lives but potentially better at isolating individual strains. Congrats ???? Pretty sure that's what the Chinese are saying.

A reasonable person would think by some of the responses that some people are overly defensive about it being called the UK variant. 

Edited by starky

On 3/22/2021 at 6:34 PM, billd766 said:

Try looking at Thailand's Covid response if you want to see  what didn't do well looked like.

Despite all the reassurance given by the government, they are reactive and not proactive, they don't do mass testing unlike the UK (who got off to a terrible start last year).

OTOH the UK seems to have turned itself around and is getting far better now.

Please is that what you got? Thailand doesn't need to be overly proactive. They should but let's toss up some numbers keeping in mind that the UK is an island that did a wonderful job and Thailnd allegedly is a <deleted>hole next door to China and had virtually an open door

UK cases 4.3 million deaths 126 k

Thailand cases 27k deaths 91...

Now tell me it's all a conspiracy and there are actually millions of Thais wandering around with covid hundreds of thousands dying .

F F S. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

can you tell us how you found out about the UK 

Meridien hotel. If you read the wording it was obvious as well. ‘Every country with a variant’. Plus the allowed outside the room seems to have swiftly disappeared.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

It seems that this particular hotel is your "all-purpose weapon" regarding this news.
Please, either serious links, or your posts are not to be taken seriously

Weapon? It’s the hotel of choice that I was planning on using. If you want more advice email all the hotels you want.

Odd little man. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Scofield said:

If you want more advice email all the hotels you want.

Why should I waste my time?

As long as there is no "really official" government statement with all the necessary details, (especially a country white/blacklist), I think it is pointless to email Noi, Joy or Nok in some random hotels...

But everyone as he prefers ????.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scofield said:

Meridien hotel...

Years ago when I used to travel to Pattaya for 'business' Le Meridien was my hotel of choice. I have to say that's it's went significantly downhill now though. It's very popular with our friends from the Indian subcontinent. The reception staff were also hopeless and spent all day on their phones. Great buffet though.

Sincerely 

Morris 

1 hour ago, KhunMorris said:

Years ago when I used to travel to Pattaya for 'business' Le Meridien was my hotel of choice. I have to say that's it's went significantly downhill now though. It's very popular with our friends from the Indian subcontinent. The reception staff were also hopeless and spent all day on their phones. Great buffet though.

Sincerely 

Morris 

Is that not pretty much the case across the board? I was using it for the Bonvoy points.

Fear not though, Turkeyton above will grace us all with some official correspondence. Truth hurts for some seems. 

On 3/21/2021 at 12:33 AM, rooster59 said:

He said the 14-day quarantine period would remain in places for arrivals from countries where the Covid-19 virus has mutated, which is a global concern.

Well that may be good news for Bikini Atoll or Ascension Island but as far as I know, there have been literally thousands of mutations of Covid 19 and they are in almost every country.

It will be interesting to learn which variants of the virus Thailand considers to be a threat - if that's what he actually means.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Scofield said:

Meridien hotel. If you read the wording it was obvious as well. ‘Every country with a variant’. Plus the allowed outside the room seems to have swiftly disappeared.

Did the hotel confirm this about the UK, or did you take it from the wording ???

The High Risk Low risk 10 or 14 days is a bit sticky, I think they will publish a list similar to the golf quarantine as seen below.

For example the Golf Quarantine country list has been published and is updated every 2 weeks

Wording from website. March 16th Last update

Golf Quarantine has been introduced where golfers from eligible countries are allowed to quarantine at one of 6 approved golf resorts and play golf every day after the 4th day.  Thailand currently only accepts golfers traveling from (not nationality) the following counties. The Department of Disease control will update this list every month:
(update as of Mar 16, 2021)

Algeria
Angola
Andorra
Armenia
Australia
Azerbaijan
Barbados
Belize
Brunei
Canada
Cape Verde
China
Costa Rica
Croatia

Cyprus
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Fiji
Georgia
Grenada
Guatamala
Guyana
Hong Kong
Iceland
Ivory Coast
Japan
Kyrgyzstan

Laos
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macau
Mongolia
Morocco
Namibia
Nepal
New Zealand
Panama
Oman
Rwanda
Saint Kits and Nevis

Saint Lucia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
South Korea
Sri Lanka
Suriname
Swaziland
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Trinidad and Tobago
Uzbekistan
Venezuela
Vietnam

If you are vaccinated and want a vacation why would you waste all the time and money on Thailand when there is Costa Rica, Mexico, DR etc ?

Still they are only appealing to the long time, good timers but of course the visa system is still prohibitive. 45 days on arrival is not enough.

Then charge $100 a night for a hotel only worth 20-30$

Edited by Don Chance
  • Like 2