Residence Certificate

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need a medical when renewing your 5 year license. 

Depends on the DLT, Pattaya have told me I will need one for my upcoming renewal, and a Thai friend renewed last week and a Medical cert was required.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Depends on the DLT, Pattaya have told me I will need one for my upcoming renewal, and a Thai friend renewed last week and a Medical cert was required.

I'm sure I saw on the national website that it wasn't required. I wouldn't believe anything that offices in Pattaya say. 

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Which DLT for example? I'm not aware of a single DLT which would require this.

For the 5 year licence many DLT offices require a Non Imm Visa or long term extension.

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FROM TWO-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    ORIGINAL TWO-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. 2
    PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

Then again, not all offices enforce the requirements.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm sure I saw on the national website that it wasn't required. I wouldn't believe anything that offices in Pattaya say. 

The national website states a medical certificate is required.

As @Peterw42states, each office can set it's own requirements.

At my local DLT a medical cert is only required for the very first 2 year licence and when over 70 years old. In between it isn't required.

Also if you don't have a Non Imm type Visa or long term extension, they will only issue the 2 year licence.

Edited by Tanoshi

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

The national website states a medical certificate is required.

As @Peterw42states, each office can set it's own requirements.

At my local DLT a medical cert is only required for the very first 2 year licence and when over 70 years old. In between it isn't required.

OK, do you have a link for that?

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

For the 5 year licence many DLT offices require a Non Imm Visa or long term extension.

For a 5 year license they all require a long term visa/extension.

But Peterw42 was replying to a poster who asked about a 2 year license.

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I bet you can't find any official listing of that cost, as there is no fee for this document. 

No fee (200baht) = No RC.

You can choose option of Free RC. however the postage and handling charge is 200baht. Up to you.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, the website probably does say something like that, and I quoted the website when asking the DLT lady. She just mumbled something about old rule/ new rule/ our rule etc.

Surely you have lived here long enough to realise whats written on the website often isnt what happens at individual offices..

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, the website probably does say something like that, and I quoted the website when asking the DLT lady. She just mumbled something about old rule/ new rule/ our rule etc.

Surely you have lived here long enough to realise whats written on the website often isnt what happens at individual offices..

I've lived here long enough to know that when they ask for ridiculous things, show them you're not a tourist and they relax. In Khon Kaen the last time, when I walked in they said "madam you where?". I asked them why the hell did they want my wife as she has a license already. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've lived here long enough to know that when they ask for ridiculous things, show them you're not a tourist and they relax. In Khon Kaen the last time, when I walked in they said "madam you where?". I asked them why the hell did they want my wife as she has a license already. 

As of around 3pm today I will be able to give you a definitive answer, as I have a 1pm appointment at Pattaya DLT for renewal of 2x 5 year licenses. I will be taking 2x resident certificates, 2x medical certificates, copy of extension stamp, copy of passport, as advised 2 weeks ago when I made the appointment.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

OK, thanks, but that is not renewing a 5 year license. To do this, a medical is not required. 

Again it depends on the office.

I didn't need a medical for my first 5 year licence, but did for the 2 year licence.

I renewed my (2nd) 5 year licence earlier this month and reminded that next time a medical certificate will be required as I'll be over 70.

Nothing on the national website about age requirements, but they inform me Thais and foreigners over 70 require a medical - their requirement.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No fee (200baht) = No RC.

You can choose option of Free RC. however the postage and handling charge is 200baht. Up to you.

Free at my IO if you want to wait a week, or 200 baht for express same day service.  ????

49 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need a medical when renewing your 5 year license. 

in PHUKET, you do, ( note 6 years ago i didn't need one,  things change) 

renewed my 5th 5 years license last friday
COR  PHUKERT< free if u tell them its free after they tell you its 300 baht  LOL

Edited by zzzzz

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Since 19th February a medical certificate is required when renewing a driving license, as posted by the DLT on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PR.DLT.NEWS/posts/2841456662744149

Just renewed mine earlier this month, no medical certificate required.

It really depends on the local office requirements, not what a website states.

Same, same, as any other Thai government office.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Again it depends on the office.

I didn't need a medical for my first 5 year licence, but did for the 2 year licence.

I renewed my (2nd) 5 year licence earlier this month and reminded that next time a medical certificate will be required as I'll be over 70.

Nothing on the national website about age requirements, but they inform me Thais and foreigners over 70 require a medical - their requirement.

OK, if renewing your 5 year license and you are over 70, you need a medical. Under 70, not required.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

OK, if renewing your 5 year license and you are over 70, you need a medical. Under 70, not required.

At my local DLT yes, but could be different elsewhere, or could change locally in the future.

Question.

My 2 years DL expires end of May 21.

My Non-imm OA is also up for extension end of May.

If I try to go for the 5 years DL before the old one expires but don't have yet  a  visa extension, will they give me a new DL?

How long does your permission of stay still be valid in order to renew your DL?

2 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Question.

My 2 years DL expires end of May 21.

My Non-imm OA is also up for extension end of May.

If I try to go for the 5 years DL before the old one expires but don't have yet  a  visa extension, will they give me a new DL?

How long does your permission of stay still be valid in order to renew your DL?

As most o the comments are saying, it often comes down to your local DLT and their local requirements

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The DLT national website does indicate that a medical certificate is required for all licence renewals.

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=2816

I renewed my 5 year licences at Pattaya a couple of days back, presented the documents with the required medical cert a couple of weeks prior, and the medical cert was required.

Only cost Bt120 and took 5 minutes at a local clinic. Don't really see the issue about non compliance when it is so simple to obtain, even if the local DLT office does not follow the current rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dabhand said:

The DLT national website does indicate that a medical certificate is required for all licence renewals.

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=2816

I renewed my 5 year licences at Pattaya a couple of days back, presented the documents with the required medical cert a couple of weeks prior, and the medical cert was required.

Only cost Bt120 and took 5 minutes at a local clinic. Don't really see the issue about non compliance when it is so simple to obtain, even if the local DLT office does not follow the current rules.

That's not so clear. I understand that this means only required for a license you have not had before. I suppose if the office really want you to have one, there's not much you can do. 

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

What's not clear? In the info graphic they even put this part in red "both new license and extending a license".

The text above says the same:

การขอใหม่ = new license

การต่ออายุ = extend (renew) license

The rules are very clear, medical certificate required. If your DLT doesn't require it, it just means they don't follow the official rules.

Thanks, I was wrong. This is a very new requirement. 

• Like 1

Just back from Pattaya DLT (24/03) renewing 5 year licenses and medical cert was require, one for each license.

2 hours of my life I will never get back, lol

• Like 1

Finally spoke to CW Immigration today, last week we had zero luck getting them on the the phone.

It turns out we can get a Residency certificate without the 90 day report receipt,  we have to show a rental agreement, Bluebook and owners ID.  Is there a preferred form for rental contracts?

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Confused 1

Prior to my showing up at the  local DL agency, the Missus called and asked about requirements.    She was told there's  no need to have a health certificate to  renew  my 5 year license license.

We showed   up and sure enough I was required to have a health certificate.      Fortunately I was prepared for that possibility so  I   handed  the lady the  health certificate I brought with me.

All went well and after 7 hours I had my new license.

Always expect the unexpected in Thailand.