why doesnt thailand offer a middle range long term visa ?

My Wife has as a 10 year UK visa & can visit as she pleases but cant’y stay more than 6 months per visit (or can’t stay more than 6 months per year, I’m not sure which). 

When Thailand opens up again It would make sense to reduce the bureaucracy and cut the visa hassles, offer 6 months visa exemption stamp on arrival. I can’t see a logical reason not to do this. 

Who cares if digital nomads are working in Thailand, they are spending in Thailand. 

There are visas in place for those wanting to stay long term and life in Thailand but certain conditions must be met - financial restraints clearly a major hurdle for some but as harsh as it seems, that’s not Thailand’s problem. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When Thailand opens up again It would make sense to reduce the bureaucracy and cut the visa hassles, offer 6 months visa exemption stamp on arrival. I can’t see a logical reason not to do this. 

Who cares if digital nomads are working in Thailand, they are spending in Thailand. 

The logical reason lays behind economics and geo-political strategies / friendships. Immigration would go broke with such visa exempt. They already repeatedly said to not care for digital nomads working in Thailand, they just do not offer a visa to go with it. What I do not get myself is why immigration not just offer us a domestic extension of 6 months for 10-15K baht fixed price. or 12 for double that at once. Like a legal version of it instead the agents way.

They would make more money than today as we do not waste it on air plane tickets and nearby countries.

They raided one of the co-working offices in CM I was using 4-5 years ago and everyone was let go as long their visa was valid.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Salerno said:

Can still get 20 years (for 1 million Baht) but not sure if they still offer the lifetime option. Saw an article recently that, from memory, said 22% of members had the lifetime option. For a digital nomad doing well for themselves I would have thought it a fairly attractive proposition to have a solid base (other than home country) even if intending to travel around as a "nomad" should.

Im not a digital nomad, but the 1MB lifetime Thai Elite membership was the perfect solution for me in my early 30’s and allowed me to make Thailand my base / home for regional rotational work. 

The security & solid base I thought that offered fell through the floor 8 months ago when I couldn’t re-enter Thailand with mr S.E. Visa & instead had to get a Non-IMM O visa (based on marriage).

Thai said, it took a few months to get organised, Thailand opened up to ThaiElite visa in Sept (I think), so once again it’s a solid means of remaining in country for those who wish to stay here for long periods of time while not meeting marriage or retirement criteria.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

offer 6 months visa exemption stamp on arrival. I can’t see a logical reason not to do this

Serious? 

Pre covid I traveled to Vietnam every month. Each year I obtained four 3 moth multi entry visas. Being Oz I don't even have the option of visa exempt. Some countries including UK have lovely option of visa exempt however it's 15 days.

Your suggesting 6 month visa exempt. No way and flawed.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The security & solid base I thought that offered fell through the floor 8 months ago when I couldn’t re-enter Thailand with mr S.E. Visa & instead had to get a Non-IMM O visa (based on marriage).

Yes, that took the shine off it a little, their timelines opening up to various visas was a little surprising. 

I was never in the position of requiring one, but when they first launched (what was it, 2013?) I personally thought it was an excellent option for a subset of foreigners. Never could figure out the animosity some people spewed out about it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Serious? 

Pre covid I traveled to Vietnam every month. Each year I obtained four 3 moth multi entry visas. Being Oz I don't even have the option of visa exempt. Some countries including UK have lovely option of visa exempt however it's 15 days.

Your suggesting 6 month visa exempt. No way and flawed.

That is what I love with Malaysia, getting 90 days on arrival and always smiling on arrival.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

It is if you are Thai, "loss of face" is deeply imbedded into the system, why else do you think it's in such a mess.

Change is hard, personally, I don't have enough breathe in me to even contemplate helping them.

What other country that's 3rd world or developing in SEA has whip smart systems in place? If those countries even had expat forums you would see the same things 

Those who want 1st world systems with 3rd world charm are going to die from stress ????

• Haha 2

Not many countries even offer the 1 year retirement visa. The fact that Thailand do means that we should be grateful.

There are still people who try to abuse the system by faking documents. Who knows someday Thailand might even scrap the whole system due to these selfish abusers.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Maybe total lack of future thought. My best advice to Thai Immigration is that they hire a firm out of the U.S or about any other country that has their immigration system not in total disorder and complicated mess for advice. It is not a shameful thing to ask for help from someone even for a fee.

why would they? Where is the incentive? 

• Like 1

I guess the simple answer is that they don't want foreigners to come, unless they are either very short-term tourists or those affluent persons using Elite visas to come and go as they wish.  Thailand has no interest in encouraging other foreigners to either retire here or work here.  I think it annoys them somewhat when a foreigner expresses interest in doing this, and the authorities therefore make it as cumbersome as possible for the foreigner to achieve that goal!

Me, I left Thailand after many years and was made very welcome to live long-term in Laos ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They do have a visa program, all you have to do is marry a local girl.

They even have have numerous facilities in Bangkok and major costal town where candidates are numbered and lined up for your convenience. 

Best visa system ever.

Where

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I guess the simple answer is that they don't want foreigners to come, unless they are either very short-term tourists or those affluent persons using Elite visas to come and go as they wish.  Thailand has no interest in encouraging other foreigners to either retire here or work here.  I think it annoys them somewhat when a foreigner expresses interest in doing this, and the authorities therefore make it as cumbersome as possible for the foreigner to achieve that goal!

Me, I left Thailand after many years and was made very welcome to live long-term in Laos ????

You think I can come?

Handsome

Mid 50

Sporty

Not drinking too much

Not smoking

No sex (joke)

Where can I apply.

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Where you live Simon you should be able to follow construction of China's belt and road high speed railway on it's way through Luang Prabang to Nong Khai and beyond.

How long before little communist Laos (population 7.3 million) becomes the next colony of their huge neighbor?

Laos-Belt-and-Road-High-speed-Rail-2020.jpg.0b3aadf5ddf640f0cfc6f3b161438c18.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

the U.S or about any other country that has their immigration system not in total disorder and complicated mess

Are you joking? 

Have you ever tried to get a tourist visa, like the 30 day free entry into Thailand for a Thai to go to USA?  - - a Thai wanting a 2 week vacation in USA would have to pay an application fee and then most likely be declined... there is an interview process and letters to be written, and proof of many things..

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

How long before little communist Laos (population 7.3 million) becomes the next colony of their huge neighbor?

Laos-Belt-and-Road-High-speed-Rail-2020.jpg.0b3aadf5ddf640f0cfc6f3b161438c18.jpg

LoL - Laos has been a defacto colony of China for yonks!!  The edge of LP town is like Little China, with the Chinese market, Chinese businesses etc.  It makes no issue for me at all.  The railway is almost complete and that will bring much-needed tourism back into LP.  None of this affects my own lifestyle, and at my age, I'm now too selfish to care about anyone else!!

19 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Maybe total lack of future thought. My best advice to Thai Immigration is that they hire a firm out of the U.S or about any other country that has their immigration system not in total disorder and complicated mess for advice. It is not a shameful thing to ask for help from someone even for a fee.

You clearly don't think like a Thai. Of course it's shameful to have to ask foreigners for advice on how to run your own country.

To be honest...the Elite Visa is already as good as it can get!  I mean..if you are under 50, not married, a remote worker and don't pay taxes, you will save those 600k Baht in more or less half a year  compared to your home country taxes with a decent job! 

I know that the EV officially is NOT a work permit, but inofficially no one cares about it. If I know myself 2 guys in person who do it exactly that way, there are much more out there! 

Thailand obviously doesn't want young cheap charlies here, as the Thai opinion is that they don't benefit the country at all. 

OP,

You cant be serious? 

Residents are already paying taxes, why would you even think about being part of the problem and not part of the solution?

No one is flocking anywhere to be extorted anymore, then they already are....

5 yesrs of paying bills, taxes, rent or morgages and all of us should be given permanent residence cards and a sincere thank you from the Ministry of Interior. 

What were you thinking?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Before the virus panic there was a 3-year multiple "B" Visa.  (cost about 350 dollars. It seems to have disappeared . 

China also had a 3 or 5 year multiple visa - I think it still exists, so maybe Thailand can copy it.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:32 PM, holy cow cm said:

You are not a foreign woman married to a Thai Guy! Double standards.! 

There is a big difference between foreign men and women here in Thailand regarding the finances of their spouse. It doesn't take a somtam scientist to see why.