Biden says he plans to run for re-election in 2024

webfact

On 3/28/2021 at 9:57 AM, EVENKEEL said:

What's wrong with everyone paying the same tax. Seems fair to me. If you make $1000./yr you pay your 15% you make 10 billion you pay 15%.

Paying tax is one reason the the less well off pay more tax proportionally than rich people and companies. The main difference is that the less well off cannot afford to pay for accountants.

Tax avoidance is legal but tax evasion is illegal.

Very good accountants will save you more than they cost you and they will steer you away from pitfalls and problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Also keep in mind that income taxes aren't the only kind of tax. Sales taxes impose a far heavier burden on those who earn less.

Fair is fair. Why does sales tax effect the poor more? Don't criminalize those who make more.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/28/2021 at 9:57 AM, EVENKEEL said:

What's wrong with everyone paying the same tax. Seems fair to me. If you make $1000./yr you pay your 15% you make 10 billion you pay 15%.

You know it's not that simple.  The guy making 10 billion will find loopholes to ensure he doesn't pay his 15%.  But you say eliminate all the loopholes?  Impossible.  How about the interest deduction for home mortgages?  Dependent deductions?  Deductions for stock market losses?  Medical/education deductions?  State tax deductions?  Charity deductions?  The list is endless. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You know it's not that simple.  The guy making 10 billion will find loopholes to ensure he doesn't pay his 15%.  But you say eliminate all the loopholes?  Impossible.  How about the interest deduction for home mortgages?  Dependent deductions?  Deductions for stock market losses?  Medical/education deductions?  State tax deductions?  Charity deductions?  The list is endless. 

It's not endless, it's very doable. Making sure the rich pay should be possible if they're paying a flat rate.

I was deducting plane fare, hotels, car rental, uniforms, cel phones, everything job related till Trump put a stop to all that with an increased personal deduction. If folks want fair that's the ticket.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

What does it matter what you earn, we all throw in the pot 15% of income after deductions.

If we want to be fair to all then flat rate taxes should be introduced when all earn the same...as it is those who earn more should pay more.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

You make more you pay more, you earn $1000/yr after deductions you pay $150. and if you make $1000,000 you pay $150,000. So simple.

Yep, the rich should definitely pay more.

So glad we agree.

Simple indeed.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I thought it was a flat 15%. Now you've also got deductions? So not 15%.

Some things should be deductible like property tax, if you have rentals you have expenses. I don't see how you can cancel that. But definitely stop the tricky stuff some folks are doing. But I believe folks would feel better being on a level playing field.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Paying tax is one reason the the less well off pay more tax proportionally than rich people and companies. The main difference is that the less well off cannot afford to pay for accountants.

Tax avoidance is legal but tax evasion is illegal.

Very good accountants will save you more than they cost you and they will steer you away from pitfalls and problems.

Although I agree with this in principle, you may find that those of moderate means right up to rich people will have complex investments that require more strategy and bookkeeping.  For me, TurboTax has more than enough bells and whistles, and the cost most anyone can afford.

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Having a flat tax would eliminate accountant shenanigans, everyone would pay the same, no loopholes. 

It may work for the lower paid people but somewhere in the IRS laws are allowances for this and that and that is where accountants earn their fees.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Dead simple. Blacks statistically are less well off than whites. They are less likely to have government issued forms of photo ID such as passports, driver's licenses and student cards. They are less likely to have rental leases, mortgages or pay utilities. This is a more than obvious fact and statements like this are disingenuous.

I was under the impression DMV issues photo ID's besides a Drivers License. Are you telling me that Blacks are not able to do that? Isn't that racist in a way, like saying they aren't smart enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was under the impression DMV issues photo ID's besides a Drivers License. Are you telling me that Blacks are not able to do that? Isn't that racist in a way, like saying they aren't smart enough.

Don't put words into my mouth. People who hold any of the forms of identity I mentioned do not have to make the effort to obtain a special form of ID. Requiring them to do so is an impediment and therefore restricts voting. There is no evidence or proof of voter fraud because of an absence of ID.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The reason why racial minorities often face issues getting photo id's is nothing to do with intelligence, it's because of things like poverty, transportation and bureaucratic problems.

For instance, many of the people who struggle to obtain a valid photo ID are elderly and poor and were born in homes rather than hospitals. As a result, birth certificates were often lost or names were misspelled in official city records.

That can be put right by having their name legally changed, but that can be a difficult, lengthy and expensive process costing hundreds of dollars (which they often can't afford), involving background checks, multiple trips to government offices and/or court appearances and can take years.

These problems disproportionately affect racial minorities as they are more likely to be from poorer and more disadvantaged backgrounds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Don't put words into my mouth. People who hold any of the forms of identity I mentioned do not have to make the effort to obtain a special form of ID. Requiring them to do so is an impediment and therefore restricts voting. There is no evidence or proof of voter fraud because of an absence of ID.

The right to vote in the US is held by US citizens, what's wrong with making sure that they all are?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The reason why racial minorities often face issues getting photo id's is nothing to do with intelligence, it's because of things like poverty, transportation and bureaucratic problems.

For instance, many of the people who struggle to obtain a valid photo ID are elderly and poor and were born in homes rather than hospitals. As a result, birth certificates were often lost or names were misspelled in official city records.

That can be put right by having their name legally changed, but that can be a difficult, lengthy and expensive process costing hundreds of dollars (which they often can't afford), involving background checks, multiple trips to government offices and/or court appearances and can take years.

These problems disproportionately affect racial minorities as they are more likely to be from poorer and more disadvantaged backgrounds.

Having old people with no birth certs is not a valid reason for not requiring ID's for voting. It isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 6:59 AM, mfd101 said:

My perception is that, so far, he's doing fine. He's been moving energetically to help the US recover from the horrors of the past 4 years and is certainly making up lost ground on the foreign relations front. (Dammit! I thought he was going to be a weakling, thinks Xi Jinping)

He's appointed good people around him. And the one area that looks problematic has just been turned into a training ground for the Veep to show what she's made of. Good work all round.

Gees. The bar that Trump set is so low that I think each one of us from this forum would make a better President than Trump. 

I am sort of neutral about Biden. And, it is too soon to say how he is doing. Let's wait for at least a year, shall we? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1