New Order to Be Issued for Food Delivery Men

webfact

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said he made the order for the department to improve regulations on food delivery men.

They'll get together, create a bunch of regulations that will be ignored and unenforced, group pictures and photo-ops, and news articles will abound.  Pats on the backs all around. 
Then nothing will change. 
These men (and women) make their money based on speed of delivery and the number of deliveries they make per day.  Want to change that?  Address the compensation model used by the companies which employ the drivers.
But even then, independent delivery persons will want to maximize their revenues, so nothing will change anyway.  A few hundred baht will be added to fines and a few more laws will be finable offenses should a cop wish to jump on their own bike and chase the offender down.  I can count the instance where I've seen cops chase people on one hand.
So again - nothing will really change.

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

SO all of the accidents are being caused by the Line, Grab, Food Panda, and GoJek riders.  I find that just absurd.  That's like saying the car accidents in the US back in the early 2000's were caused by the Domino's Pizza delivery drivers as if they did not get it there in 30 minutes fast it was free....Try again Mr. Minister.

Time to enforce the laws on all riders and drivers regardless of status be it a old Nissan or a new Lambo.  A violation is a violation.

If the government really wanted to address unsafe driving practices, they would train cops of pull violators over for moving violations and issue citations.  You don't catch the really stupid driving at a road block.  You see it when you yourself are moving along in traffic.
Thailand will never have patrol officers, so -- not a da*m thing will change ever.  Thais will continue of drive like the unskilled idiots that they are (the road carnage bares that out) and the BIB will continue their completely ineffective policing methods, i.e., roadblocks and will never progress to policing methods that are effective (like policing from patrol motorcycles and cars that move in traffic, spot moronic and illegal driving, and issue tickets).  And they should at least enter the 20th century (I know they are not ready for the 21st) and link police databases to unpaid citations and impound the vehicle of people with outstanding, unpaid violations.

• Like 1

everytime we drive anywhere we are always having near misses with grab or food panda riders that are riding like idiots, we have also seen quite a few after they have been cleaned up  due to their  bad riding habits. The problem is they ride like idiots because the more deliveries they do the more money they get, they totally ignore the other road users(nothing unusual really) and will swerve in and out of cars willy nilly & ride across the centre lines so they can get to their destination faster, they are accidents waiting to happen. While doing anything to stop them riding this way  is good they really need to do it for all bike riders as they, while not as bad, are still accident waiting to happen also

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, seajae said:

everytime we drive anywhere we are always having near misses with grab or food panda riders that are riding like idiots, we have also seen quite a few after they have been cleaned up  due to their  bad riding habits. The problem is they ride like idiots because the more deliveries they do the more money they get, they totally ignore the other road users(nothing unusual really) and will swerve in and out of cars willy nilly & ride across the centre lines so they can get to their destination faster, they are accidents waiting to happen. While doing anything to stop them riding this way  is good they really need to do it for all bike riders as they, while not as bad, are still accident waiting to happen also

I agree they are way out of control. On any given day while out on the road I will have a close swoop from one. They are also a nuisance by always taking pole position at a red light even if it means being on the pedestrian walk.

• Thanks 1

Interesting comments on here. After all the complaints I've read for the last couple of years on TVF, I'm surprised at the condemnation.  Looks to me like he's trying to improve road safety.  Hum, what's wrong with this picture????

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually not their business. Needs to be the companies that regulate the riders, but they are out of control up here in CM for sure..

How is it not the agency that licenses the drivers business?, Yes the companies need to ensure the driver drive safely but ultimately the DLT licenses the folks and therefore can regulate the hell out of them if they choose.  They can also suspend their license, which does not matter as folks still drive unlicensed it appears, and pass laws to seize the bikes or cars for that matter of drivers who are in violation of the rules and laws.

Edited by ThailandRyan

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

How is it not the agency that licenses the drivers business?, Yes the companies need to ensure the driver drive safely but ultimately the DLT licenses the folks and therefore can regulate the hell out of them if they choose.  They can also suspend their license, which does not matter as folks still drive unlicensed it appears, and pass laws to seize the bikes or cars for that matter of drivers who are in violation of the rules and laws.

These boys n girls usually are all hot air and nothing every really happens. Set up a section on the company website that people can turn in the license plate number to the company for the rider being a maniac on the road.  It should be the company who sets the criteria for safety based on looking at the riders ETD/ETA time for his delivery and how many accidents he or she has been in, not the Land Transport. These riders deliver food on a general license only, and if they really want to squawk then they may think about having all riders subjected to getting a special delivery license. Don't tuk tuk drivers have to get a special license? Other than that, if they don't go more than hot air then they need to be quiet.

• Thanks 1