Thai baht is worst performing currency in Southeast Asia

snoop1130

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Boris Johnson will stub his foot next week and the baht will gain a 0.5% against the pound

Which foot? the one on his head or the other 2.

I always thought he was trying to impersonate Donald Trump with the haircut, but his looks better as it's not a comb over 

22 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Baht down another 10%—we celebrate. 
Baht up anther 10%—Good morning Vietnam.

Moving to Vietnam would be stupid, hardly anyone speaks English there. You will be ripped off constantly as well by double pricing, provided someone can finally understand what you are saying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Still down from 51 to 36 after the referendum so the so called deal did nothing. The current 43 is a response to the vaccine program after 150000 deaths. Nothing to do with EU or Bozo. Might go up a bit more if they can stop squabbling over vaccine supplies!

Currency forecast and those in positions do not get it far wrong is 47.5 for GBP in November 2021.  Already predicted 43.4 ,just missed it yesterday,but BH in UK yesterday too

From the lows of 36 push a wee bit more to 48 and Ill be 4000  UK smackers a year better off

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

They've been manipulating all along. The most significant recent manipulation being China illegal hot flows propping up the currency. This will continue unless China's economy takes a hit and they have to focus on "internal circulation" 

Agree—compare the Chinese Yuan to Thai Baht.  They seem to move in unison.  Almost like they pegged the Baht to Yuan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 8:26 AM, SheungWan said:

GBP has gone down since the vote to leave the EU. Current recovery due to making a deal with the EU. No-deal Brexit would have sent it crashing again.

Yep, Project Fear was very powerful and had some very influential backers.

As it's gradually debunked, expect the gbp to head back towards 2016 levels by 2025.

The irony is that many of the people on TV relying on a strong pound for their pensions were the same ones trashing it with their project fear anti brexit rhetoric.

If I was American I'd say, Go Figure.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yep, Project Fear was very powerful and had some very influential backers.

As it's gradually debunked, expect the gbp to head back towards 2016 levels by 2025.

The irony is that many of the people on TV relying on a strong pound for their pensions were the same ones trashing it with their project fear anti brexit rhetoric.

If I was American I'd say, Go Figure.

No-deal Brexiteers still looking to wreck the agreement if they can and cheering on the NI unionists to kick things off. Sterling holders always faced with whether to exchange cash now or risk the sourness happening. The Thai baht has its own set of problems so GBPTHB is in for an interesting ride. 

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

No-deal Brexiteers still looking to wreck the agreement if they can and cheering on the NI unionists to kick things off. Sterling holders always faced with whether to exchange cash now or risk the sourness happening. The Thai baht has its own set of problems so GBPTHB is in for an interesting ride. 

Actually its the EU that hasn't ratified the deal. But then when it takes 4 months to place an order for a vaccine it's not really surprising is it?

Incompetent fools. The house of cards is starting to creak. They better hope the wind doesn't blow. Le Pen might be the straw that broke the donkeys back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Actually its the EU that hasn't ratified the deal. But then when it takes 4 months to place an order for a vaccine it's not really surprising is it?

Incompetent fools. The house of cards is starting to creak. They better hope the wind doesn't blow. Le Pen might be the straw that broke the donkeys back.

UK-EU deal signed a long time ago by both parties. Its 2021 BTW. And $ strangely doing OK without Trump's antics, so time to buy some baht next week.

Edited by SheungWan

9 hours ago, SheungWan said:

UK-EU deal signed a long time ago by both parties. Its 2021 BTW. And $ strangely doing OK without Trump's antics, so time to buy some baht next week.

Do try to keep up. The deal hasn't been ratified yet. 

Delayed until April 30 (yes that's 2021)

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ratification-idUSKBN2AN1IK

On 4/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, Isaan sailor said:

Agree—compare the Chinese Yuan to Thai Baht.  They seem to move in unison.  Almost like they pegged the Baht to Yuan.

The two currencies would move in unison, both are linked in some way to the US Dollar. One is linked by a crawling peg, the other via a managed floating peg.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Do try to keep up. The deal hasn't been ratified yet. 

Delayed until April 30 (yes that's 2021)

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-ratification-idUSKBN2AN1IK

You are correct. Are you actually expecting something to happen or not happen that impacts the sterling exchange rate?

Edited by SheungWan

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

You are correct. Are you actually expecting something to happen or not happen that impacts the sterling exchange rate?

Yes I was correct.

No I'm not really expecting anything drastic to happen. If the EU fail to ratify the deal and leave the UK to leave with No Deal then the pound would drop, but I think the EU has enough problems right now without a No Deal scenario, the French fisherman kicking off and the knock on effect to Macron. So I'd expect them to ratify, but given the EU's glacial movements on pretty much everything there could be one more delay. 

So I'd expect the GBP to continue it's strengthening against the THB and the Euro. The THB (the focus of this thread) could be in for a tough ride IMO, Covid19's effect on tourism and the government's failure on the vaccine rollout could be the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:20 AM, mikebell said:

I still can't afford to buy Heinz Beanz because of tariffs on farang imports.

I agree, it is scandalous.

The Thai brands (Ayam, Brooks) are not a patch on Heinz, but the Italian brand Fiamma for about 35thb a tin in Makro are decent. 

On 4/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, natway09 said:

Worst performing ????

What rubbish, the country next door in total  turmoil has a currency that is useless

True. The three neighbouring countries in the West, North and East are the same. 

In Cambodia they still use the USD despite numerous attempts by the Dictator there to try and get the Riel used exclusively.

TBH anyone that keeps large amounts in fiat currency or in banks in countries with unstable governments deserves the reckoning that is most definitely coming.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

True. The three neighbouring countries in the West, North and East are the same. 

In Cambodia they still use the USD despite numerous attempts by the Dictator there to try and get the Riel used exclusively.

TBH anyone that keeps large amounts in fiat currency or in banks in countries with unstable governments deserves the reckoning that is most definitely coming.

What about my 800,000?

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I agree, it is scandalous.

The Thai brands (Ayam, Brooks) are not a patch on Heinz, but the Italian brand Fiamma for about 35thb a tin in Makro are decent. 

Not seen that brand in our Makro in Chiang Mai !

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Is that good?

Compared to the dire predictions of 35bht to the pound by many posters a year or two back.

When I moved here in 2009, I got 50 to the pound before Brexit, and 40 after.

But pension up 40%, currency down 14%, mortgage down 1.5% = quids in for me.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, Neeranam said:

Not for those of us that are paid in baht and travel/spend abroad frequently. 

Not to worry, COVID won't allow you trips abroad any more, so you'll be saving loads of money.

Same for me, I've missed around 6 holidays since COVID, and I can't see it getting much better in the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

What about my 800,000?

Maybe Immigration will create their own Bank.  Bank of Prayut or Bank of Prawit.  Funds secured by brown envelopes or high end watch collections.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Compared to the dire predictions of 35bht to the pound by many posters a year or two back.

When I moved here in 2009, I got 50 to the pound before Brexit, and 40 after.

But pension up 40%, currency down 14%, mortgage down 1.5% = quids in for me.

Was 37 baht when I came here. I don't care as Bitcoin is increasing at 100% a year ???? 

• Like 1