why does everyone wants the cheapest PC

robblok

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

My car hasnt moved in months use the GF's her car, my scooter on the other hand gets used a lot more but time wise nothing comes close to the use my pc gets. 

Yes, you're right about PC vs. Pickup.

I was running out of space on my old PC, so I ran "Crystal Disk Info" on it to see how many hours the drives were powered on for. That was on March 10th this year.

The previous time I did this was 3rd February 2019. That was 766 days previous.

The Power On hours of 4 of my 2TB drives increased by 8,315 hours each over that period. That means the PC was on for an average of 10.9 hours per day. That's quite sad really, isn't it. ????  I must get out more...

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

It was in answer to "why-does-everyone-wants-the-cheapest-pc?"

The answer is because that is often all they need. Of course some people buy ill advised carp, but that is another subject.

I buy good value items; not the cheapest items. Bought an 'as new' Lenovo laptop usually costing £500, for £200. Extended the warranty to a three year on-site warranty for £50.

I was more talking about the fact that nobody seems to spend money on the case (thicker case less sound) and the PSU (better PSU often less problems) and a bit more for a decent mother board (there are boards with better capacitors). I was not talking about going for the most expensive things. Just a lil bit more for things at are important and overlooked. 

54 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

It was in answer to "why-does-everyone-wants-the-cheapest-pc?"

The answer is because that is often all they need. Of course some people buy ill advised carp, but that is another subject.

I buy good value items; not the cheapest items. Bought an 'as new' Lenovo laptop usually costing £500, for £200. Extended the warranty to a three year on-site warranty for £50.

'as new' Perhaps I've been out of the UK for too many years. New is new, 'as new' obviously isn't. Does this mean it's actually second hand / refurbished? I think that's the very definition of finding the cheapest possible - ill advised <deleted>.

Lenovo laptops are renowned for being Chinese junk machines. They were also banned by the state department in the US, I think in 2006, for coming preinstalled with spyware. Not sure if the ban was for government employees only or not.

For my part, I look at the processor, drives and technology inside. These things need to be replaced every 3 years or so, so I often buy a mid range PC/laptop. I love apple products, but for the price and tech inside them, it's just not worth it. PC's always have higher spec components at a fraction of the cost. I always buy Dell and never had any issues with a PC dying quickly. I still have an old 2 in 1 touchscreen Dell  that's almost a decade old. Still works, and is great for the kids to watch something on whilst we're busy.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Lenovo laptops are renowned for being Chinese junk machines.

Lenovo have different brands as I am sure you are aware and some ThinkPads generally get well rated for business use - read a few The Register articles and comments from people in the business - 

https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/31/lenovos_latest_thinkpad_carbon_x1/

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

I was running out of space on my old PC, so I ran "Crystal Disk Info" on it to see how many hours the drives were powered on for. That was on March 10th this year.

The Power On hours of 4 of my 2TB drives increased by 8,315 hours each over that period. That means the PC was on for an average of 10.9 hours per day. That's quite sad really, isn't it. ????  I must get out more...

Mine are on 24/7. Not that I am looking at them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

These things need to be replaced every 3 years or so

Utter rubbish ! And then you say.

I always buy Dell and never had any issues with a PC dying quickly.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

Running out of space with 8TB of disks. What do you save on them?

4 hours ago, fdsa said:

Sorry, anyone using a huge heavy box dependant on stable power supply has no credibility.

Desktop PCs are the thing of the past.

My 'heavy box' power supply is even heavier, but lasts for ages when the power goes out.

giant ups.jpg

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Actually there are 5 x2TB HDDs - one of them was replaced during that period so wasn't included in my calculations ???? .

The system disk is an SSD. They're all housed in a Cooler Master HAF 932 case.

What's in them? Just about everything I ever downloaded, photographed, videoed, for the previous decade or so - a lot of TV programs, films, music, and system images.

2 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

What's in them? Just about everything I ever downloaded, photographed, videoed, for the previous decade or so - a lot of TV programs, films, music, and system images.

Why? It is so easy to download almost any movie or TV show via torrent. As for system images, do you not clean up your system disc and delete all but the latest restore file.

For not a lot of money you could get TBs of One Drive or Google Drive storage and then your millions of movies & pictures are accesible from anywhere.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My 'heavy box' power supply is even heavier, but lasts for ages when the power goes out.

giant ups.jpg

I tend to go for more off-the-shelf stuff but I'm very interested in your setup. A friend of mine talked about using a car battery in his setup, but I don't know whether he actually did it.  Any more information you can give would be appreciated.

485575806_UPSsIMG_20170915_194646.thumb.jpg.3d82ff5cb5b3e411e19886ff4376313c.jpg

46 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Utter rubbish ! And then you say.

I always buy Dell and never had any issues with a PC dying quickly.

I use computers for heavy tasks - I work remotely 7 days a week and the machine is on for at least 13 hours a day. 3 years is quite impressive for a mid range machine. Let me be clear - the machine doesn't die after 3 years, but I need to upgrade my computer after this to handle the workload.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I use computers for heavy tasks - I work remotely 7 days a week and the machine is on for at least 13 hours a day. 3 years is quite impressive for a mid range machine. Let me be clear - the machine doesn't die after 3 years, but I need to upgrade my computer after this to handle the workload.

Three years is not impressive. The laptop that I am using is fourteen years old and still on it's original battery.

There are just some characters who assume that their experiences are the reference for all. No, they are just your experiences.

• Like 2

Some posts with inflammatory and insulting comments have been removed.  Please keep it civil:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Some off topic posts bickering about Lenovo and spyware have been removed.  This topic is about people's personal preferences of the PC's they prefer using.

Edited by metisdead
Additional note added.

well, as my post was deleted I'll rephrase to stay more on-topic.

32 minutes ago, metisdead said:

This topic is about people's personal preferences of the PC's they prefer using.

I'm using one of the most expensive laptops out there — Lenovo Thinkpad — and confirm that they are chinese cráp. However most other laptops are much worse :biggrin:

And I agree with topic starter and other posters that more expensive hardware especially PSUs and motherboards do last longer, based on my experience working in PC repair company 10+ years ago (I doubt something have changed since then).

Edited by fdsa

13 minutes ago, fdsa said:

well, as my post was deleted I'll rephrase to stay more on-topic.

I'm using one of the most expensive laptops out there — Lenovo Thinkpad — and confirm that they are chinese cráp. However most other laptops are much worse :biggrin:

And I agree with topic starter and other posters that more expensive hardware especially PSUs and motherboards do last longer, based on my experience working in PC repair company 10+ years ago (I doubt something have changed since then).

Behave yourself

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I think you will be horrified by me i got 6x 6 gb disks in my nas drive in raid 2 so i got like 30gb of room 20 of it filled with movies and tv series. I just subscribe to tv series and it downloads it for me. Movies i select myself. But i do reewacht series and movies got netflix too but it is just not complete.

Edited by robblok

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why? It is so easy to download almost any movie or TV show via torrent. As for system images, do you not clean up your system disc and delete all but the latest restore file.

For not a lot of money you could get TBs of One Drive or Google Drive storage and then your millions of movies & pictures are accesible from anywhere.

my 6x6 gb of movies on my drive are watchable anywhere in the world through the plex media server. I sometimes share with friends too. Not too many as it affects my speed (it does not if you use google drive). But i like the solution like this its good for the tv series. They get downloaded automatically put in the right folder righ name with something like sickrage.

13 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

AfaIk the 3D nonsense came about by pressure from the big movie businesses, to stop the amount of people downloading new movies for free, on cam torrents etc.

Obviouslt the whole thing was cr@p. Are new movies even released in 3D anymore? ????

The curved TV nonsense seems to have gone too. Rarely see one when checking out the TVs in a store. Here's a piece of latest technology that makes your TV look smaller than it is! Cool! 

I disliked 3d movies the distracted from the real movie and were not good enough. I watched a few on my VR goggles they were almost better then in the movies. 

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Three years is not impressive. The laptop that I am using is fourteen years old and still on it's original battery.

There are just some characters who assume that their experiences are the reference for all. No, they are just your experiences.

If you keep using your old software not upgrade then 14 years is possible. It will probably not do well with current software if its heavy. But that is how you keep it. I personally would not buy second hand stuff. But its cheaper. I would worry about it breaking.

28 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think you will be horrified by me i got 6x 6 gb disks in my nas drive in raid 2 so i got like 30gb of room 20 of it filled with movies and tv series. I just subscribe to tv series and it downloads it for me. Movies i select myself. But i do reewacht series and movies got netflix too but it is just not complete.

I was keeping quiet - 

30TB in the bottom (movies and TV)

12TB in the middle (music, books, YouTube DL from the wife and general server bits)

20TB in the synology (photo, document and timemachine backups)

(usable)

Yup, sickrage / sonarr / radarr are the tools of the devil.

131BFF4E-930B-4377-8D9C-212EE263D5E6.jpeg

I buy budget boards so I can buy more HDD. ???? 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Could it be as simple as: people on fixed and limited income have other things upon which they need to spend their money!

True.. but you never hear people talking about the cheapest car.. cheapest room. There always seems to be a bit of higher expectations there. Maybe people just don't understand the difference dont care. Only care when problems arrive. Its not that much of a mark up to go from basic to a few better parts (maybe 5000bt plus). As i said its mainly PSU and mainboard and case that could benefit from a little bit more spending.

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

What do you do in the time you are not watching movies?   LOL

• Like 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

What do you do in the time you are not watching movies?   LOL

Work, fitness GF's and often watching TV movies or series with the GF. Sickrage is truly a great tool if you want to watch tv series and have an NAS drive.

I think its mainly that people don't know that a lil better changes a lot of things and that many people don't care as much about computers as I do. Logical as i work behind it. Seems that for some things cheapest beer, cheapest PC there is a large group of people who need that. 

I just think over all those years its not much difference in money.

• Haha 1