Would you consider the Philippines

On 4/3/2021 at 11:37 AM, Oldie said:

If the Philippines are so good why does your lady not live there? 

It would be fair to say that she left home to go Australia as she probably came from a poor family and is working 3 jobs to support her family in the  Philipines. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 12:31 PM, BritManToo said:

I always enjoyed Barretto, Olongapo,

NIce beach resort with a load of bars and resorts catering to foreigners, you could even buy Aussie meat pies. Didn't even need a VISA, you could turn up and stay for 3 years, many Australians and business managed/owned by Australians.

Baloy Long Beach was my favourite place to hang out, clear, clean water, beautiful sand.

IMG_20161112_113716_PANO (1).jpg

I agree I always stay at Blue Rock Resort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

I agree I always stay at Blue Rock Resort.

I used to stay a bit further down the road at Blue Wave Resort, but I used to have morning tea at Blue Rock, and a few evening meals. The restaurant guard wouldn't let you leave without paying your bill.

IMG_20170206_104649.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Philippine food is vile. I wouldn't feed most of it to soi dogs.  

Manila is also the armpit of South East Asia, an ugly and horrible place. There's absolutely nothing worth going there for.

Thailand beats the Philippines in every way I can think of, so long as you speak the lingo. 

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

So I take it is a no to the Phillipines ?

I guess I should of started a poll.

I'm still considering it for retirement but must check it out first 

No its not a yes or a no.

The Philippines has pros and cons like most options. 

I would suggest a visit because you'll never know how you feel about the place without boots on the ground. 

That said the Philippines has logistical challenges with so many islands. Expect lots of ferry rides.

You can probably assume that you'll find  Manila a hell hole.

But beyond that what do you want?

Beach living? City living? How big a city? Cooler (there are a few options). Trying to avoid a higher risk storm and flooding area?

So assuming you don’t want to tour there for months after they open up you could do research and narrow down some more likely destination candidates there.

I did this for my first trip but if I went again it would be different places.

My first trip included Manila because that's where the flight landed. Then to Cebu City and Dumaguette which I was seriously interested in. 

Also went to Bohol and Bantayan islands just for tourism pleasure. Now I'm finding lots of expats are living in Bohol but I don't think I'm interested. 

If I went back I would go other places. 

Maybe Bacolod city, Iloilo city, Tagaytay, maybe Dumaguette again to see how its changed.

Your list would be different. There really are a lot of choices and that might make it harder to decide. 

Edited by Jingthing

If you do get involved with a Pinoy lady, I have heard a lot of men over there talk about the Three Island Rule:   You live on one island, there is an island in the middle, and your wife/GF's family live on the next island over.  Always keep at least one island between yours and theirs basically. Guess it cuts down on the casual requests for "loans" or "help"...

On 4/9/2021 at 1:31 PM, georgegeorgia said:

So I take it is a no to the Phillipines ?

I guess I should of started a poll.

I'm still considering it for retirement but must check it out first 

Why does retirement to a country in the region have to be considered as a final move?

If you don't buy property, a business, or hand all your money over to a local girl, you can enjoy the country for however many years you enjoy it, which maybe forever, or you can move on.  

If you are in a relationship, she either goes with you, or you find someone new in the next country.   

• Sad 1