Would you consider the Philippines

8 hours ago, tifino said:

yes ex from 25+ yrs ago tried that technicality on me...   I'd thought I would do a good thing by her'n'family to be surrounded by hers when Signing Up. Only took 9 months for to thankfully be seeing the last of her fleeing back to PI, with her looking over her back to see if the cops were closing in on her... 

But anyway the last words she spoke were Not 'sorry' but that " you me always married no can divorce it not allowed happen" Well, little will she ever know that back in falangland the Divorce Court accepted she was back somewhere never contactable... 

b

Bottom line is that She can Not ReMarry; but You Can, when you get back Home!! 

In her case, well she can not marry another farang victim, because she does not know she's been Divorced ( for 20+ years now) (I've hopefully since saved another foreigner victim his skin?)

Or, she can call the NPA & foreign husband gets a last walk into the jungle or last swim.....A few years later she has him declared dead & collects....

I believe I know first hand about one occurrence....One reason I wouldn't consider it a wise move.... 

The NPA is basically a nationally organized thug for hire & the police or government won't tangle with them....Designated as a terrorist group they levy taxes/protection + for hire anything - after which time they perform for you, beyond payment, you remain indebted to them....

They form an organized underground network financed by "taxes", crime, extortion, and for hire muscle.....

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 2:34 PM, olfu said:

Each country has different setup and its basically you like it or not.

I am type of person who like changing places and countries for no reason.

If country has  visible culture--past and present like Italy, Nepal and, maybe, Japan its one story. But neither Thailand or Philippines has any appeal to me

and they remind me US--looks good, you can make living, have some freedoms but culture is missing.

Yes, you should have clear understanding what you want.

Culture missing...in Thailand??? <deleted> are you talking about?

• Like 1

I don't see much mention of the fact almost everyone speaks english in the PI. That is probably the biggest plus over any other Asian country in my book.  Also much easier visa situation compared to Thailand.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 6:55 PM, Victornoir said:

Lived happy one year there. Difficult to indicate to you the best place which depends on your priorities.

My first recommendation would be to avoid the overly sex-oriented areas, Angeles, Subic, Manila, and Cebu.
In 2 avoid mass tourism areas like Boracay and Bohol.

In 3 of course do not choose an area that is too isolated, guaranteed boredom, or too poor, incessant begging.
In 4, as in Thailand, stay close to the sea for the best climate.

What is left then? The north of Luzon, the region of Tacloban, Davao, the eastern part of Mindanao and finally Palawan, area of Puerto Princessa, its magnificent beaches and diving spots adjoining a friendly and peaceful population. If I had to relocate there, this is where I would go.

You said stay away from heavy tourist areas and then mention Palawan which is one of the most touristy islands in the PI.  Not just some areas but the entire island.

I wouldn't discount Cebu.  It is a large city and the sex tourist stuff is a very small part of what the city has to offer.  That is kind of like saying avoid Manila because of Burgos St.

I also would not discount Angeles. Again, the sex tourist stuff is a tiny part of the activity there.  It's becoming something of a hub for Luzon with the major airport and intersection of major tollways. If you want to be on the ocean I would not discount Subic.  Again, the sex tourist stuff is a tiny part and not even in Subic, it's about 15 minutes outside of the city.  My only negative against Subic is that is has a heavier rainy season than other areas.  Only a problem from July-Aug so if I were to live there I would plan to make some trips elsewhere that time of year.

I think La Union is worth a mention if you want to be on the ocean and especially if you like surfing.  Not many tourists compared to other beach areas so more of a local vibe and probably more affordable.  Also cleaner with more functioning infrastructure and less crime compared to a lot of other areas around the PI. 

If infrastructure and easy access it international airports is important than Luzon island is your best bet with Cebu island as 2nd.  Davao 3rd.  I hear mixed things about Davao. I think the muslim thing turns a lot of people off even though that is not a problem around Davao or anywhere near there.

Edited by shdmn

Lived in many places in PI for about 10 years. Compared to Thailand and Cambodia, it is much more corrupt, shakedowns by police are regular occurances. 

As for the environment, there are always disasters(locally called calamaties), floods, typhoons, earthquakes, etc. It's a bunch of islands stuck out in the ocean and is always targeted by the typhoons before they hit Vietnam or China. Being part of the ring of fire gets you the earthquakes and volcanoes.

The electrical grid sucks and power is off frequently. Same with the water supply.

The country has about 70 million people with an economy that will support less than half that. That's why you see Filipino's working overseas anywhere they can get a job. There are few options in their own country.

The major religion is Catholicism. They're brainwashed more than anywhere I've seen, to the point some will nail themselves to crosses during the Easter holidays,

The food sucks. In Thailand I will eat Thai food predominately, but in the PI, it's cook at home or eat low quality expensive foreign food. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gargamon said:

Lived in many places in PI for about 10 years. Compared to Thailand and Cambodia, it is much more corrupt, shakedowns by police are regular occurances. 

As for the environment, there are always disasters(locally called calamaties), floods, typhoons, earthquakes, etc. It's a bunch of islands stuck out in the ocean and is always targeted by the typhoons before they hit Vietnam or China. Being part of the ring of fire gets you the earthquakes and volcanoes.

The electrical grid sucks and power is off frequently. Same with the water supply.

The country has about 70 million people with an economy that will support less than half that. That's why you see Filipino's working overseas anywhere they can get a job. There are few options in their own country.

The major religion is Catholicism. They're brainwashed more than anywhere I've seen, to the point some will nail themselves to crosses during the Easter holidays,

The food sucks. In Thailand I will eat Thai food predominately, but in the PI, it's cook at home or eat low quality expensive foreign food. 

Philippines Population (2021) - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Agree with most of your post but a clarification re the population.

Population is more than 110 miliion in 2021. Getting very close to 111 million.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

The PI gets a deservedly bad rap for it's food but some things are better than Thailand.  Definitely better and cheaper mexican food in the PI.  Italian/Pizza also can be good if you go to the right places.  Cooking at home I think you will have an easier time finding a lot of western ingredients in the PI.

I never had a problem with food in PI.

Pork Adobo, German breakfast, Mexican dinner, and a bottle of Gin for 70 pesos.

IMG_20160818_131225.jpg

IMG_20160820_082019.jpg

IMG_20161119_190149.jpg

IMG_20161112_131814 (1).jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

Allowing unchecked population growth (because birth control is against gods wishes) tends to have that effect on poor countries.  The PI is like a giant baby factory.  The damage the catholic church has done to the PI (and is still actively doing to this day) is the the most depressing thing about the PI imo.

I agree with the Church, while many of our countries are forced to take in immigrants to keep the population steady. I met some nice Catholic girls while I was there, and enjoyed many nice meals in their company.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

Filipino Catholics self-flagellate for Lent

https://www.yahoo.com/news/filipino-catholics-self-flagellate-lent-092454521.html

• Like 1

Yeah Filipinos and their Catholicism are quite a thing. I remember hooking up with a FOB (fresh off the boat) Filipino nurse in Chicago. He would do a religious ritual before doing the deed. You could cut the guilt and shame with a knife.

That sort of thing can be a quirky novelty at first but for me quickly becomes tiresome.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Philippines Population (2021) - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Agree with most of your post but a clarification re the population.

Population is more than 110 miliion in 2021. Getting very close to 111 million.

Population close to 111 million with over 12 million living overseas and sending money home. Most working as teachers, nurses or nursing home workers.  Ten times more Pinays in USA than Thai  ( 3 1/2 millinon Pinay vs less than 300,000 Thai ) as Filipino will go anywhere to work and support thier families back home.  Many guys make the mistake  of believing  "oh they are good Catholic girls unlike Thai girls"  BS---I personally know 3friends /co-workers whose Filipina wives filled for spousal abuse and diviorce as soon as they go to the US.  Another waited 5 years till she go Green card and a daughter then stsrted running arounf with younger guys. Told old husband  do what you want ,I stay here now and will take daughter withh me and half of everything you own.

I have an 81 years old cousin who was going to meet up with a filipina ,later founf out she was already married to an 84 year old guy and had run away from him and was trying to find another suker to marry to stay in the country.   Can't say they are all bad as my cousin married one after Korean War and had 9 kids by her and she was a sweet woman but that is rare.

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just talking today to my Filipino new neighbor.

She told me Boracay or new Boracay is the place for foreigners to retire and is much like Pattaya 

I will go there asap to have a look..but going in YouTube it looks great 

That surprises me. I think its much more of a place for a fabulous holiday rather than retirement .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

yes, to intro (or to desensitise) oneself to seeing it;  eek out a copy of 'Shocking Asia' and 'Shocking Asia II  - the videos complete can also be found on YouTube, resplendid in all their glory   ( or gory)  Viewing them gives one a dejavu feeling of watching an extreme 'In Search Of... with leonard nimoy flashback)

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

yes, to intro (or to desensitise) oneself to seeing it;  eek out a copy of 'Shocking Asia' and 'Shocking Asia II  - the videos complete can also be found on YouTube, resplendid in all their glory   ( or gory)  Viewing them gives one a dejavu feeling of watching an extreme 'In Search Of... with leonard nimoy flashback)

Or watch this from Thailand. You don’t have to be Catholic to abuse your own body!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Population close to 111 million with over 12 million living overseas and sending money home. Most working as teachers, nurses or nursing home workers.  Ten times more Pinays in USA than Thai  ( 3 1/2 millinon Pinay vs less than 300,000 Thai ) as Filipino will go anywhere to work and support thier families back home.  Many guys make the mistake  of believing  "oh they are good Catholic girls unlike Thai girls"  BS---I personally know 3friends /co-workers whose Filipina wives filled for spousal abuse and diviorce as soon as they go to the US.  Another waited 5 years till she go Green card and a daughter then stsrted running arounf with younger guys. Told old husband  do what you want ,I stay here now and will take daughter withh me and half of everything you own.

I have an 81 years old cousin who was going to meet up with a filipina ,later founf out she was already married to an 84 year old guy and had run away from him and was trying to find another suker to marry to stay in the country.   Can't say they are all bad as my cousin married one after Korean War and had 9 kids by her and she was a sweet woman but that is rare.

Not uncommon, they work it as a family cottage industry..... I've seen people switch houses & arrange for nice cars in order to make an impression to reel in a prize foreigner....

Theentire family colludes together to get that first step out the door & the magic golden ticket to the west to get a foot in the door to start the conga line....

If there happens to be several attractive sisters/cousins it turns into a matchmaking enterprise until they are all safely entrenched & start bringing the elder family members over along with any favored cousins or family they can hook up job wise through sources they've researched....There are whole school industries in the PI to facilitate this....They claim a hefty fee to test - towards school placement for targeted positions....

They are aggressive, organized, and usually guided through the process by a trusted westernized "family" member or close aquaintance....

One Filipina I had a relationship with in the states was told by a trusted "aunt" = get control of his money & line your pockets for the future....

The Thai women I went with in the US were more independent, only linking with others during parties or temple functions....

In the PI one gal and I visited her sister for a few days - we added to the 19 people that currently lived there....3 bedroom house....

If you respect your privacy or quiet time, a Philippine family is not the place to find it....

One family reunion - for only one side of the family I was told - there were 400 people there....

And they think nothing of eating with their hands....They spread banana leaves on a table & 20+ people at a time eat off it with their hands like a giant buffet trough.... It's not a pretty sight....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, mrfaroukh said:

Advantages:

1_The exchange rate is better. Almost 50 to a dollar against 31 bhat to a dollar. 

2_ Widely English spoken. 

3_ Cheaper bear

4_ Cheaper entertainment 

5_ You can find a good girl friend who also may be more honest and doesn't demand large amount of money

6_ Used to be easier to get the resident visa (not sure how is it now) 

Disadvantage :

1_ Not very safe, lots of crime

2_ Not as developed as Thailand

3_ Being Christian you don't see any open bar like Thailand. Everything is indoor and it is a kind of boring

4_ Cities are not as developed as Thailand

5_ I didn't see much variety of foreign food. 

6_ Hotels and may be condo are not as good Thailand

7_ You can hardly find a city like Pattaya that offer you everything

Now choice is yours. I feel you may get more for your money but that would be at the cost of your piece of mind and beauty of the place. 

You are presuming that the peso and baht are equivalent? I can get more US dollars than Euros for my British pound, but that doesn’t make the US better value?

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, pgrahmm said:

Not uncommon, they work it as a family cottage industry..... I've seen people switch houses & arrange for nice cars in order to make an impression to reel in a prize foreigner....

Theentire family colludes together to get that first step out the door & the magic golden ticket to the west to get a foot in the door to start the conga line....

If there happens to be several attractive sisters/cousins it turns into a matchmaking enterprise until they are all safely entrenched & start bringing the elder family members over along with any favored cousins or family they can hook up job wise through sources they've researched....There are whole school industries in the PI to facilitate this....They claim a hefty fee to test - towards school placement for targeted positions....

They are aggressive, organized, and usually guided through the process by a trusted westernized "family" member or close aquaintance....

One Filipina I had a relationship with in the states was told by a trusted "aunt" = get control of his money & line your pockets for the future....

The Thai women I went with in the US were more independent, only linking with others during parties or temple functions....

In the PI one gal and I visited her sister for a few days - we added to the 19 people that currently lived there....3 bedroom house....

If you respect your privacy or quiet time, a Philippine family is not the place to find it....

One family reunion - for only one side of the family I was told - there were 400 people there....

And they think nothing of eating with their hands....They spread banana leaves on a table & 20+ people at a time eat off it with their hands like a giant buffet trough.... It's not a pretty sight....

You mean like sizzler? 

12 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You are presuming that the peso and baht are equivalent? I can get more US dollars than Euros for my British pound, but that doesn’t make the US better value?

Buy some Turkish Lira????

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Buy some Turkish Lira????

I hope that poster doesn’t see this, as he’ll be thinking that Turkey is the place to be? Or worse, he’ll be planning retirement in Venezuela due to the favourable currency rates.

I would only live in the Philippines if I can live in a secure condo in a large city with plenty of facilities. My girlfriend of choice would be an orphan, or someone whose family where on an island far away. I like my own space and quiet time so the idea of people showing up at the door unannounced would drive me nuts, as would the constant requests for “loans”, the type that are never paid back. I might visit after Covid is gone and take a look, but my guess is that Thailand, despite restrictions, is a better location.

• Like 2