What new phone to buy?

jvs

My phone got wet and was repaired but is giving problems again and i pretty well

have to accept i need a new one.

I bought this one nearly three years ago and i know new phones have a lot better features now.

The main thing i use it for is take pictures of the garden and animals and stuff.

Also make a few calls a week but really mostly for pictures,not selfies.

Any idea what to get?My phone now is a Xiaomi and i was pretty happy with it.

Not looking to spend over 5000 baht.

• Like 1

I have no idea of the price / availability in Thailand but I'm very happy with my HMD Nokia 6.1.

It has the advantage of being included in the Android One programme  - other manufacturers are also included of course.

• Like 1

Here is a couple of links for budget phones with good cameras:

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-budget-camera-phones-1095137/

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-budget-camera-phones

Looks like the Goggle pixel 4a is really good but a bit over your budget?

Edited by guzzi850m2

Thank you all for the replies,i have a lot of options i see.

Maybe better to pay a bit more to get a better phone but i think all new phones are a lot

better now then the best ones ten years ago?

17 hours ago, VBF said:

Currently cheaper than in UK> Just make sure it's the 6.1 PLUS, (Nokia x6) not the cheaper 6.1

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8972&idPhone2=9178 

Got it thanks .

Lazada  THB 3460 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nokias-61-plus-nokias-x6-octa-core-58-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-lte-16mp-2160p-i2069520888-s67

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Thank you all for the replies,i have a lot of options i see.

Maybe better to pay a bit more to get a better phone but i think all new phones are a lot

better now then the best ones ten years ago?

Did you think about buying a 'real' camera, and a non-smart phone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did you think about buying a 'real' camera, and a non-smart phone.

I have a real camera already but have not used it for years,i like the idea of only having to carry one thing around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

I recommend to buy a phone in the 10k range, this is about the sweet spot.

There is a quite noticeable difference (in regards of speed, picture quality and so) between a phone in the 10k and one in the 5k range.

But if you compare a 10k phone to a more expensive phone, lets say 20k, there is not much difference, you might not even notice it.

what noticeable difference is there between a 5k and 10k phone? 5k are fast and good memory.  I used to buy more expensive phones, but the last 4 have been 5k-8k and all very good

Edited by scubascuba3

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

what noticeable difference is there between a 5k and 10k phone? 5k are fast and good memory.  I used to buy more expensive phones, but the last 4 have been 5k-8k and all very good

Nearly everything is noticeable better. Apps open faster, the screen looks crisper, the photos you take look better.

I'm not talking about the specs on the spec sheet, but when comparing 5k vs 10k I think the average person can just "feel" these differences.

(If comparing 10k vs 20k it does of course have better specs, but subjectively you won't notice them much)

Edited by jackdd

31 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Nearly everything is noticeable better. Apps open faster, the screen looks crisper, the photos you take look better.

I'm not talking about the specs on the spec sheet, but when comparing 5k vs 10k I think the average person can just "feel" these differences.

(If comparing 10k vs 20k it does of course have better specs, but subjectively you won't notice them much)

most people wouldn't notice the difference or at least isn't worth another 5k\100%

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 4:52 PM, Chris.B said:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10, fantasic specs for 5,999 THB.

Redmi Note 10

Bought one after checking out your suggestion.

Banana IT threw in a lot of free extras: Two Year Supercare warranty(https://instore.bnn.in.th/super-7-care-plus-update-oct20/), a six month warranty against accidental screen damage and a couple of accessories; power bank and something else I've forgotten.

I think the offer runs until the end of the month.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Bought one after checking out your suggestion.

Banana IT threw in a lot of free extras: Two Year Supercare warranty(https://instore.bnn.in.th/super-7-care-plus-update-oct20/), a six month warranty against accidental screen damage and a couple of accessories; power bank and something else I've forgotten.

I think the offer runs until the end of the month.

I found the Note 9 glitchy and the speaker is in the worse place, 10 probably similar until it's ironed out

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I found the Note 9 glitchy and the speaker is in the worse place, 10 probably similar until it's ironed out

Probably similar? You mean that you have no idea and you just made it up?

There is almost nothing similar about the phones, including the speakers. Note 10 has stereo speakers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my new phone two days ago,bought it at the AIS shop.

Redmi note 10,i like it a lot.The camera has a lot of options and i will have to learn

how to use it right.

Macro,slow motion,all cameras at once,many options!

The only problem i have is with installing my fingerprint,only does parts of it.

So i have to use my code for now but part of the charm is being able to unlock it

quickly.

Just to ad the reason why i like the AIS phone shop.

You tell them what kind of phone you want and they do not try to sell you something you do not want.

Also bought the Redmi 9 A,half price.2999baht.

Edited by jvs
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Looking to replace my Xiaomi redmi 6 which I bought exactly 3 years ago for just under 6k. It's getting slow and the camera which wasn't brilliant when new is now very poor. Happy to stick with Xiaomi and a while ago my friend bought the Poco X3 NFC which he thought was the best value at that price at that time. I'm considering the Poco X3 Pro which is just under 8k for the 8gb version, I want at 

least 6gb, my old one was 4gb.

Now this was released in March and Xiaomi have released over 25 phones since then, many out of my price range of what I want to pay, are any of them better value than the X3Pro?

I've looked at some of the specs and I know for example Snapdragon 850 is better than 625 but 

some have a different type, Mediatek, so I don't know how to compare them. Also some have windows 10, some 11. 

Do I need 5G? I expect the lifespan of this phone to be around 3 years before I replace it.6

So 6/8 gb, maximum 10k Baht but preferably no more than 8k.

All comments and suggestions welcome, even sarky ones !

2 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Looking to replace my Xiaomi redmi 6 which I bought exactly 3 years ago for just under 6k. It's getting slow and the camera which wasn't brilliant when new is now very poor. Happy to stick with Xiaomi and a while ago my friend bought the Poco X3 NFC which he thought was the best value at that price at that time. I'm considering the Poco X3 Pro which is just under 8k for the 8gb version, I want at 

least 6gb, my old one was 4gb.

Now this was released in March and Xiaomi have released over 25 phones since then, many out of my price range of what I want to pay, are any of them better value than the X3Pro?

I've looked at some of the specs and I know for example Snapdragon 850 is better than 625 but 

some have a different type, Mediatek, so I don't know how to compare them. Also some have windows 10, some 11. 

Do I need 5G? I expect the lifespan of this phone to be around 3 years before I replace it.6

So 6/8 gb, maximum 10k Baht but preferably no more than 8k.

All comments and suggestions welcome, even sarky ones !

Windows 10?! :smile:

That be Android.

It has Snapdragon 860; not 850.

The Poco looks to be more for the type who likes to play games on their phone; the camera function seems just ok.

2 MP for Macro is not great. 5 MP is considered decent.

Comparison: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11101&idPhone2=10802

• Like 1