What new phone to buy?

jvs

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Windows 10?! :smile:

That be Android.

It has Snapdragon 860; not 850.

The Poco looks to be more for the type who likes to play games on their phone; the camera function seems just ok.

2 MP for Macro is not great. 5 MP is considered decent.

Comparison: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11101&idPhone2=10802

I wasn't quoting the specs of the Poco, just my limited knowledge of what differences to look for, and yes, I should have said Android version not windows !!! That shows my overall knowledge !

Thanks for the tip about the camera, I will look at some camera specs more closely.

The 11 lite you compared with is nearly 3 times more than I want to pay, any better suggestions than the Poco?

On 4/5/2021 at 4:39 AM, straylight said:

For video/photography, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is way beyond the rest. There is just no comparison. With it you don't need a camera although I personally couple it with a Leica. 

Yeah, old lady has one of those, like around 36,000tbh

For 5,000 tbh you won't get a great camera,

Edited by EVENKEEL

On 4/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, straylight said:

For video/photography, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is way beyond the rest. There is just no comparison. With it you don't need a camera although I personally couple it with a Leica. 

Might come in at just a tad over his budget, especially if you couple it with a Leica!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I wasn't quoting the specs of the Poco, just my limited knowledge of what differences to look for, and yes, I should have said Android version not windows !!! That shows my overall knowledge !

Thanks for the tip about the camera, I will look at some camera specs more closely.

The 11 lite you compared with is nearly 3 times more than I want to pay, any better suggestions than the Poco?

You're budget is 3,500?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-11-lite-5g-ne-6128gb-sku-bundle-i2788373261-s10148197443.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pre-orderxiaomi-11-lite-5g-ne-6128gb-9-64-i2771067085-s10074258564.html

If 5G isn't a consideration and u=you were disappointed with your current camera; then consider the Redmi Note 10 Pro: 

Not really going to make the original budget, but ...

Hands down for quality and value, the OnePlus family. 

Best phone I ever owned, after almost 4 years of the OnePlus 6, I've just got a Oneplus 8T (International model) last year's flagship, they've launched the OnePlus 9 series so the 8s are almost half price, they come with 3 years of Android and Oxygen OS upgrades, and 4 years security patches. A rapid charger, (Samsung deleted their chargers!) Plus it comes with a factory fitted scratch screen and clear drop-case  too.  Dual SIM. 4 Cameras.

It's 5G ready. There's a new budget OnePlus Nord 2 (International) that's almost as good. And they price well on Amazon. Get the international version. Superior to the US version for some odd reason. Superior reviews to Xiaomi and Oppo in the same price range too. I used to have an Oppo. Fun fact: Oppo and OnePlus are merging as I write this.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 1:39 PM, Fab5BKK said:

The new "A" series from Samsung surely worth a look, a little bit over the budget but there are some promotions around...

Just bought a Galaxy A22 4G (5,600 Baht after discounts, 'officially' 7,000 Baht). First appeared around July, works great. They apparently only sell the model with the highest specs (6/128 GB) here in Thailand.

• Like 1

People still buying Chinese phones, unbelievable, you think they would make a small effort not to support the CCP economy after what they inflicted on the world over the past 2 years, Samsung for me as well.

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

People still buying Chinese phones, unbelievable, you think they would make a small effort not to support the CCP economy after what they inflicted on the world over the past 2 years, Samsung for me as well.

You mean what the USA funded and inflicted on the world.  What country's phone manufacturing would you suggest ?   USA, UK, France, top weapon sellers and providers of death, along with Russia & China, whom I'm assuming you are anti them also.  Also the 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council, keeping the world safe ????

I go with the best product for the best price.  No country has any morals, as never did, never will.  Are there any phones no made in China ? ????

ON TOPIC ....  Xiaomi & POCO (Xiaomi) fan myself.  Try to find one with replaceable battery.  Though good luck with that.  They can't really improve phones much more than now, so to get you to buy new one, batteries aren't replaceable, so when they die, your phone dies ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You mean what the USA funded and inflicted on the world.  What country's phone manufacturing would you suggest ?   USA, UK, France, top weapon sellers and providers of death, along with Russia & China, whom I'm assuming you are anti them also.  Also the 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council, keeping the world safe ????

I go with the best product for the best price.  No country has any morals, as never did, never will.  Are there any phones no made in China ? ????

ON TOPIC ....  Xiaomi & POCO (Xiaomi) fan myself.  Try to find one with replaceable battery.  Though good luck with that.  They can't really improve phones much more than now, so to get you to buy new one, batteries aren't replaceable, so when they die, your phone dies ... ????

Any phone battery is replaceable, even thought they tell you it's not so you will trot off and buy more communist copies to help support the CCP's despotic oppression. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why are batteries not replaceable ? please name one phone brand you can't replace the battery .

1 hour ago, cormanr7 said:

Just bought a Galaxy A22 4G (5,600 Baht after discounts, 'officially' 7,000 Baht). First appeared around July, works great. They apparently only sell the model with the highest specs (6/128 GB) here in Thailand.

720 x 1600 pixels(274 ppi), 20:9 ratio vs  1080 x 2280 pixels(403 ppi), 19:9 ratio on his current phone.

on 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Not really going to make the original budget, but ...

Hands down for quality and value, the OnePlus family. 

Best phone I ever owned, after almost 4 years of the OnePlus 6, I've just got a Oneplus 8T (International model) last year's flagship, they've launched the OnePlus 9 series so the 8s are almost half price, they come with 3 years of Android and Oxygen OS upgrades, and 4 years security patches. A rapid charger, (Samsung deleted their chargers!) Plus it comes with a factory fitted scratch screen and clear drop-case  too.  Dual SIM. 4 Cameras.

It's 5G ready. There's a new budget OnePlus Nord 2 (International) that's almost as good. And they price well on Amazon. Get the international version. Superior to the US version for some odd reason. Superior reviews to Xiaomi and Oppo in the same price range too. I used to have an Oppo. Fun fact: Oppo and OnePlus are merging as I write this.

Pure nonsense @ double the budget stated. Ridiculous!

1 hour ago, clivebaxter said:

Any phone battery is replaceable, even thought they tell you it's not so you will trot off and buy more communist copies to help support the CCP's despotic oppression. 

Tell me please,can you buy any phone these days(or anything else)that does not have

at least parts made in China?

I phone is all USA made right?

Edited by jvs

I think some people are getting confused with the budget, I reopened the topic yesterday. My budget is up to 10k but preferably no more than 8k which is the price of the Poco.

I will review all suggestions later. 

I don't want Samsung, I had before my 2 Xiaomi's.

I'm in the same boat.

Looking to get something around 8000  Baht.

Was looking at the Poco x3 but it looks as if the  Redmi Note 10 Pro has better reviews.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-redmi-note-10-pro-108mp-snapdragon-732g-120hz-amoled-i2232853001-s7467550573.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.89.91a31dd2LY1NzW&search=1&freeshipping=1

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, straylight said:

30,000 over budget 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Yes it's very unfortunate that almost everything is made in china..but the reason is because they can make it super cheaply  with what maybe called slave labour !  they have taken jobs from western industrialised countries along with their intellectual properties and know how  whilst we thought they where doing us a favour ????

Update so far: The Oneplus phones are more than I want to pay so I'm pretty much between the Poco X3 Pro and Redmi Note 10 Pro.

I would go as high spec as I can so I would probably go for the 8gb version over the 6gb version.

According to GSM the Poco comes in 8 + 128 or 8 + 256, the 8/128 would be enough for me but I don't see any on Lazada.

The camera on the Note 10 does look awesome although I probably wouldn't play with the features, I just want to point and shoot.

Other differences Poco Snapdragon 860, Note 732, Adreno (I've no idea what it is ) Poco 640, Note 618, battery Poco 5160, note 5020, selfie cam Poco 20mp, Note 16mp.

I'm not sure of the implications of those differences, if it's camera alone then the Note wins hands down.

Cost on Lazada Poco 8/256 approx 8000, Note 8/128 approx 8500

Lazada are pushing discounts on 10/10 but not sure if a gimmick or genuine discounts but I will aim to buy that day. Any more thoughts?

6 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Update so far: The Oneplus phones are more than I want to pay so I'm pretty much between the Poco X3 Pro and Redmi Note 10 Pro.

I would go as high spec as I can so I would probably go for the 8gb version over the 6gb version.

According to GSM the Poco comes in 8 + 128 or 8 + 256, the 8/128 would be enough for me but I don't see any on Lazada.

The camera on the Note 10 does look awesome although I probably wouldn't play with the features, I just want to point and shoot.

Other differences Poco Snapdragon 860, Note 732, Adreno (I've no idea what it is ) Poco 640, Note 618, battery Poco 5160, note 5020, selfie cam Poco 20mp, Note 16mp.

I'm not sure of the implications of those differences, if it's camera alone then the Note wins hands down.

Cost on Lazada Poco 8/256 approx 8000, Note 8/128 approx 8500

Lazada are pushing discounts on 10/10 but not sure if a gimmick or genuine discounts but I will aim to buy that day. Any more thoughts?

You can Google x3 vs the note 10 and get some good idea's on the comparisons if you wish.

The Note 10 does seem to come out on top.

Might take a look at a 5G phone.  Why? it looks like the future is in 5G for mobile phones.  Recently I spent more than a month in the US and my less than one year old Samsung Phone was not compatible with both ATT and T-Mobile networks.  All US Based mobile companies are upgrading their networks and many of the older phones are not compatible with many of their networks.  Also, I was able to buy a prepaid sim card at a Target store for my phone but the best Data speed I could get was .5 MBPS(this is really slow and really can't do much at this speed).  .  

Even some of the Thai mobile companies are pushing 5G capable phones.  

The cheapest unlocked Samsung(my favorite brand) 5G capable phone is between 9000 to 10,000 Baht.  Upgrading my current phone to a 5G phone is on top of my to do list.  

Just something to think about. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Will27 said:

You can Google x3 vs the note 10 and get some good idea's on the comparisons if you wish.

The Note 10 does seem to come out on top.

I have done that already myself and posted my findings. The only place I see the Note come out on top is the rear camera which at 108 MP would probably beat most phones. It has slightly inferior chipset and battery.

46 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Have yourself a look at the Vivo Y11 @ about 3,800

Large screen for your Photos, and long  battery life ( 5000 ma ), with an excellent camera for the money

I think you must have read the opening posts only, I updated this thread yesterday. The Vivo is a lower spec than the Xiaomi I am replacing but thanks for the input.

43 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I have done that already myself and posted my findings. The only place I see the Note come out on top is the rear camera which at 108 MP would probably beat most phones. It has slightly inferior chipset and battery.

I thought the screen quality and build was better also.

1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I think you must have read the opening posts only, I updated this thread yesterday. The Vivo is a lower spec than the Xiaomi I am replacing but thanks for the input.

I picked up the POCO X3 NFC last year, a Xiaomi product, and really like it.  Also, one of the few left that battery is user replaceable.  From LAZ/Xiaomi:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1620308672-s4447784478.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Excellent camera and screen is fairly indestructible:  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1