What new phone to buy?

jvs

On 4/10/2021 at 7:36 AM, jackdd said:

Nearly everything is noticeable better. Apps open faster, the screen looks crisper, the photos you take look better.

I'm not talking about the specs on the spec sheet, but when comparing 5k vs 10k I think the average person can just "feel" these differences.

(If comparing 10k vs 20k it does of course have better specs, but subjectively you won't notice them much)

True

My girlfriend looks much better on my 10k phone.

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

Poco has lcd screen whereas Note has super amoled.

Not much in it TBH.

Will come down to personal preference.

Thanks Will, that's a good video. I had no idea about the LCD screen and how poor it is. It did show the conclusion I had come to that the Poco is quicker and more efficient in most aspects but that screen has put me right off. More research needed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

If you are that keen on Xiaomi phones did you have a look @ Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite...

Cherry on the cake, they are available on 4G & 5G versions:

Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G (from THB9,000)

Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G (from THB12,000)

available on Shopee, etc.

Just compared the 11 lite with the Note 10 and the platform is the same, very similar spec except the Note 10 has the better camera and battery so I don't think it's worth the extra cash unless I'm missing something. However, Lazada has one for 8,600 though from the photos and no warranty I expect it could be a fake.

xiaomi mi 11 liteใหม่ศูนย์ram8/128gb จอใหญ่ ประกันศูนย์ | Lazada.co.th

The 5G version does have higher spec but I'm not willing to pay the extra at this moment in time. I expect when I replace my next one in around 3 years 5G will be the norm.

Edited by YorkshireTyke
posted wrong image

20 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Just compared the 11 lite with the Note 10 and the platform is the same, very similar spec except the Note 10 has the better camera and battery so I don't think it's worth the extra cash unless I'm missing something. However, Lazada has one for 8,600 though from the photos and no warranty I expect it could be a fake.

The 5G version does have higher spec but I'm not willing to pay the extra at this moment in time. I expect when I replace my next one in around 3 years 5G will be the norm.

Yes highly dodgy that Lazada ad, no ratings and no seller ratings, could even be a guy selling his used phone he doesn't like. Only buy from sellers with good rating and item with lots of legit ratings

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Fed up with reading reviews and comparisons !

At the moment settled on the Redmi 10 Note Pro, my only misgivings are the chipset only being the Snapdragon 732 and not 860 like the Poco 3 Pro. 

I have until the 10/10 to change my mind otherwise on that date I will search lazada and shopee for the best deal for 8gb/128, currently around 8,600 Baht.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:14 AM, YorkshireTyke said:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro:

164 x 76.5 x 8.1 mm (6.46 x 3.01 x 0.32 in)

193 g (6.81 oz)

Dual SIM card slot + Memory Card

3.5 mm jack

Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G:

160.5 x 75.7 x 6.8 mm (6.32 x 2.98 x 0.27 in) Thinner, and overall smaller, than Note 10 Pro

157 g (5.54 oz) Lighter than Redmi Note 10 Pro (18% less than Note 10 Pro)

Hybrid dual SIM card slot

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro:

164 x 76.5 x 8.1 mm (6.46 x 3.01 x 0.32 in)

193 g (6.81 oz)

Dual SIM card slot + Memory Card

3.5 mm jack

Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G:

160.5 x 75.7 x 6.8 mm (6.32 x 2.98 x 0.27 in) Thinner, and overall smaller, than Note 10 Pro

157 g (5.54 oz) Lighter than Redmi Note 10 Pro (18% less than Note 10 Pro)

Hybrid dual SIM card slot

Don't think I will notice 36 grams and the difference in sim won't affect me. However, I went to a mall this afternoon to check them out, no one stocked the Poco but several had the Note 10 at around 9,500 and the thing I noticed, it is BIG.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes highly dodgy that Lazada ad, no ratings and no seller ratings, could even be a guy selling his used phone he doesn't like. Only buy from sellers with good rating and item with lots of legit ratings

I only buy higher end stuff from the authorized / official LAZ site of the product.  Xiaomi has one, which I linked earlier.

Edited by KhunLA

On 4/6/2021 at 12:09 PM, Fab5BKK said:

The new "A" series from Samsung surely worth a look, a little bit over the budget but there are some promotions around...

Agree 100%

Started with a Samsung A5 and now an A71.

But this range is way over the OP's budget.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, jvs said:

I have a real camera already but have not used it for years,i like the idea of only having to carry one thing around.

Living in Thailand with the possibility to take a quick photo to help a salesman understand what you are wanting to purchase is high on my list for a must have . No camera no sale 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You didn't get the S or Pro? no NFC?

They stated what they bought back in May. Perhaps you are getting confused with the poster who added his question to this thread.

Remember the OP's budget was 5k and he wanted it for taking pictures. There was never a Redmi Note 10 Pro for anywhere near 5k.

• Like 1

Update: I didn't buy one on the 10th, after reading reviews on GSM Arena I decided the Snapdragon 732 on the BIG Note 10 Pro was too slow and the camera on the Poco X3 not good enough.

So more research for a faster phone and better camera but still under 10k Baht but I thought I would wait for more models to be introduced.

Today we had a monitor lizard down our small soi so I took photo/video of it but they are so poor it is indistinguishable so I desperately need to replace it. Apart from the fact the lens is scratched as I took the protective cover off, I've looked at the specs and although a dual camera it is 12 mp x 5 mp, and only 3 years old !

So revisited the thread and checked the M11 Lite 5G recommended by Fab5BKK. It's only Snapdragon 780G but in the GSM review was faster even than Poco's 860 and the camera is better than the Poco, 64 MP as opposed to 48 and has the 5 MP macro as recommended by Bruno.

So can I get it for under 10K? I want the 8GB/128GB version ,I've dismissed a couple of cheap ones on Lazada with no seller ratings but Lazada has one for 10,999 Baht, they have 95% seller rating but one year warranty apparently.

(ศูนย์ไทย + free gift )Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G NE 8GB+128GB Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G|รับประกันศูนย์ไทย แถมฟรี Honor Seaker | Lazada.co.th

Edited by YorkshireTyke

You may need to spend at least 10,000 baht to get one with a nice camera setup. 

That said a 5,000 baht phone these days is probably as good as a 30,000 baht phone 3 or 4 years ago.

My OnePlus 8 pro got thrown in the washer.  Its still working but the people at Oppo said it'll probably just crash after about 3 months due to water damage.

Bummed, I was hoping to use it for a few years.  35,000 baht last year.  (20,000 baht now).

Maybe get last years middle range phone?

Oppo nice because they can be repaired locally.

8 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Update: I didn't buy one on the 10th, after reading reviews on GSM Arena I decided the Snapdragon 732 on the BIG Note 10 Pro was too slow and the camera on the Poco X3 not good enough.

So more research for a faster phone and better camera but still under 10k Baht but I thought I would wait for more models to be introduced.

Today we had a monitor lizard down our small soi so I took photo/video of it but they are so poor it is indistinguishable so I desperately need to replace it. Apart from the fact the lens is scratched as I took the protective cover off, I've looked at the specs and although a dual camera it is 12 mp x 5 mp, and only 3 years old !

So revisited the thread and checked the M11 Lite 5G recommended by Fab5BKK. It's only Snapdragon 780G but in the GSM review was faster even than Poco's 860 and the camera is better than the Poco, 64 MP as opposed to 48 and has the 5 MP macro as recommended by Bruno.

So can I get it for under 10K? I want the 8GB/128GB version ,I've dismissed a couple of cheap ones on Lazada with no seller ratings but Lazada has one for 10,999 Baht, they have 95% seller rating but one year warranty apparently.

(ศูนย์ไทย + free gift )Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G NE 8GB+128GB Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G|รับประกันศูนย์ไทย แถมฟรี Honor Seaker | Lazada.co.th

Keep in mind that neither have a headphone jack; if you need such a thing.

Edited by Bruno123

On 10/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, Bruno123 said:

One thing that I would advise, if looking for a phone to take pictures, is to look for one that has AF for Macro @ 5 MP.

2 MP without auto focus is scraping the barrel and there will be nothing that you can do about it.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:47 PM, Bruno123 said:

Bought one after checking out your suggestion.

Banana IT threw in a lot of free extras: Two Year Supercare warranty(https://instore.bnn.in.th/super-7-care-plus-update-oct20/), a six month warranty against accidental screen damage and a couple of accessories; power bank and something else I've forgotten.

I think the offer runs until the end of the month.

He must be on  must be on the same planet as the  person that advised against buying a phone with a 2 MP macro lens and yet less than 6 months ago that is exactly what they did

Just now, vinny41 said:

He must be on  must be on the same planet as the  person that advised against buying a phone with a 2 MP macro lens and yet less than 6 months ago that is exactly what they did

Think about it....I advised after I bought the phone. New knowledge.

Apart from that, it wasn't for me ????

Anyway, I deleted the nonsense I wrote, as I mixed up the phones about which I was writing.

Edited by Bruno123