Please help: Visa/WP question

I am really hoping to get help with my situation, as I am concerned and not sure how to proceed. Recently, I severed ties with a business (I am a former teacher) and I found out this business engaged in very unscrupulous business practices, including promoting a very hostile and toxic environment. My husband and I worked for this employer for 3 years and we both recently found out our employer turned out to be incredibly deceptive, lying to teachers about certain legal practices, as mentioned, engaging in unscrupulous business practices overall, they encouraged/enjoyed this completely horrible work environment with gossip everywhere and we wanted nothing to do with them, etc. Because of this, I chose to leave the school bad terms because I knew I did not trust them and left my contract a few days early, as the situation was getting worse and worse. On paper/in terms of my legal obligation, I fulfilled my obligation as a teacher with them but did not stay the few extra days they asked about through email about 1 month prior. On my passport, I only received a Visa stamp until 1st April and now this company is withholding my Work permit because I somewhat confronted them about their practices, despite trying to be objective and sincerely explaining things from my perspective (it still did not go well with them, of course). At this point, I do not anticipate them giving me my Work permit back. I asked them to mail it but do not anticipate it as they are not good people. My questions to you are: 1) As it is very difficult to find info about Visas (the answers change depending on the source, and it doesn't help I do not speak Thai), what should I tell the Immigration office? Most teaching jobs will start back up in May due to a month-long intercession (some schools just finished their 2nd term, so I don't know what to do until then about my visa situation, especially since my former school said they would contact me about extending it - I know that is definitely not going to happen with how things ended) and 2) As I do not anticipate them giving back my Work permit, what should I do next? I will go to the Immigration office tomorrow and see what my options are but I am concerned because the former school still has my WP and will most likely not give it back. I would like to work for another school, however, as my previous school will not give me back my WP, I believe that will cause future issues with my next school. Is this right? I am at a loss for what to do. Thank you for any help.

Edited by gracefulwinnie

Your first stop should be the Labour Department office, not Immigration. If you are lucky, they will be sympathetic and try to help you. At any rate, work permit issues are their purview. Take full documentation to explain the situation to them.

Your employment will be considered to have ceased, together with the associated extension of stay, if you have an extension of stay based on working. I recommend you visit the Labour Department early Tuesday, and plan to visit Immigration as soon as reasonably possible (depending on what the Labour Department say) thereafter. Expect to pay an overstay fine. You should be able to get a 60-day Covid extension, after paying the 500 baht per day fine, on payment of 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

Firstly you should never have allowed them to hold your work permit. That belongs to you not them. Only you can cancel your permit, head to the labor Ministry office with appropriate docs and cancel the permit. You are already on overstay do cancelling the permit will not cause an already present overstay situation. If the labor office says they need the physical permit, file a police report and tell them the employer has stolen it and refuses to give it back.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your first stop should be the Labour Department office, not Immigration. If you are lucky, they will be sympathetic and try to help you. At any rate, work permit issues are their purview. Take full documentation to explain the situation to them.

Your employment will be considered to have ceased, together with the associated extension of stay, if you have an extension of stay based on working. I recommend you visit the Labour Department early Tuesday, and plan to visit Immigration as soon as reasonably possible (depending on what the Labour Department say) thereafter. Expect to pay an overstay fine. You should be able to get a 60-day Covid extension, after paying the 500 baht per day fine, on payment of 1,900 baht.

Tuesday, April 6 is a holiday, and all government offices will be closed.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Hi BritTim, Thank you very much for your response. I just sent you a message privately.

Edited by gracefulwinnie

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Firstly you should never have allowed them to hold your work permit. That belongs to you not them. Only you can cancel your permit, head to the labor Ministry office with appropriate docs and cancel the permit. You are already on overstay do cancelling the permit will not cause an already present overstay situation. If the labor office says they need the physical permit, file a police report and tell them the employer has stolen it and refuses to give it back.

Hi TonRay, I just sent you a private message about this. Thank you for your help!

Edited by gracefulwinnie

20 minutes ago, allane said:

Tuesday, April 6 is a holiday, and all government offices will be closed.

Hi Allalone, yes, I also came across this info a few days ago, and would like to thank you for re-confirming this info. 

Edited by gracefulwinnie

Hi,

Well as many mentioned or will, you shouldnt give your workpermit to your employer. That was a mistake.

Also from what your telling us it is very obvious that your very new to thailand. unfortunately working as a teacher in thailand is not that great as many youtubers or some other people keep telling. You will be threated like a dog in many schools and yes including some famous ones. I can understand that your working in a small village or small school. So my 14-15 yrs of experience in thailand and teaching at some universities for 2-3 yrs. would be, be ready for these kind of situations. its very normal here. Im lucky that now im working for a military company and not teaching anymore.  My other advice to you is never ever work with teaching agencies. I think you are now, because you mentioned that a company is keeping your work permit. 

So that been said;

First things first, do you have a letter from the school saying that your not working there anymore, letter of termination? thats the most important thing. You really need that. With that letter you wont need any work permit dont worry. You will use this letter to change your visa at immigration or to leave the country and to cancel your work permit at labor office. For the work permit part, just go to the local nearest police station and tell them you lost it. With the police report go to the labor office and tell them you want to cancel. But again they will probably ask a letter form the school. In most cases, school cancels auto because they dont want your name in their employee list. this is the easy part..

Then our problems might start at immigration. If school dont give a letter or refuse to give one, tell this to the immigration, they will call the school or give the director's no. They will surely contact if you talk and request nicely. i would call the school or director when im at the immigration and let them talk to them. Then you can do the rest. You can call the school at labor office, that might be a better idea. Basically let someone from he office talk with the person whoever holding your workpermit. it is illegal that they are holding your workpermit. So if you want to pass all of this nonsense just go to the police station and tell them you lost it. and keep the report always.

Here the biggest problem most likely will be your visa situation.. its most possible that your overstay already. Now im not sure you might get or not covid extension, im sure there are people in the form can help you about that better then i. Someone mentioned about 500 per day overstay, its true. But surely you will pay overstay. After canceling your visa NORMALLY you must leave the country at once or in a few days if you pay 2000baht, but im not sure whats going on about covid now. i believe your a pinay. So you better check your country conditions if they have flights to accept you. 

If your married with a thai things will be great for you. If you are send me a message and i will introduce you to my lawyer. You can get a 1 year visa like a magic. around max 29K and no headaches. 

Good luck 

Edited by problemfarang

14 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Hi,

Well as many mentioned or will, you shouldnt give your workpermit to your employer. That was a mistake.

Also from what your telling us it is very obvious that your very new to thailand. unfortunately working as a teacher in thailand is not that great as many youtubers or some other people keep telling. You will be threated like a dog in many schools and yes including some famous ones. I can understand that your working in a small village or small school. So my 14-15 yrs of experience in thailand and teaching at some universities for 2-3 yrs. would be, be ready for these kind of situations. its very normal here. Im lucky that now im working for a military company and not teaching anymore.  My other advice to you is never ever work with teaching agencies. I think you are now, because you mentioned that a company is keeping your work permit. 

So that been said;

First things first, do you have a letter from the school saying that your not working there anymore, letter of termination? thats the most important thing. You really need that. With that letter you wont need any work permit dont worry. You will use this letter to change your visa at immigration or to leave the country and to cancel your work permit at labor office. For the work permit part, just go to the local nearest police station and tell them you lost it. With the police report go to the labor office and tell them you want to cancel. But again they will probably ask a letter form the school. In most cases, school cancels auto because they dont want your name in their employee list. this is the easy part..

Then our problems might start at immigration. If school dont give a letter or refuse to give one, tell this to the immigration, they will call the school or give the director's no. They will surely contact if you talk and request nicely. i would call the school or director when im at the immigration and let them talk to them. Then you can do the rest. You can call the school at labor office, that might be a better idea. Basically let someone from he office talk with the person whoever holding your workpermit. it is illegal that they are holding your workpermit. So if you want to pass all of this nonsense just go to the police station and tell them you lost it. and keep the report always.

Here the biggest problem most likely will be your visa situation.. its most possible that your overstay already. Now im not sure you might get or not covid extension, im sure there are people in the form can help you about that better then i. Someone mentioned about 500 per day overstay, its true. But surely you will pay overstay. After canceling your visa NORMALLY you must leave the country at once or in a few days if you pay 2000baht, but im not sure whats going on about covid now. i believe your a pinay. So you better check your country conditions if they have flights to accept you. 

If your married with a thai things will be great for you. If you are send me a message and i will introduce you to my lawyer. You can get a 1 year visa like a magic. around max 29K and no headaches. 

Good luck 

Wow, thank you problemfarang for your response. I will be messaging you privately. 

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I hope that everything turns out ok for you!  It would be great if you could keep us updated on the situation.

Yes, she went to immigration and they gave her 19 days and told her they will give her another 60 days after 19 days.

They also told her no need to do any paper work. 

• Like 1