SURVEY: Will Thailand get the virus under control?

Scott

SURVEY: Covid, out of control or controllable?  

473 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

The key to it in my opinion is mass rapid vaccinations of the population of Thailand. Progress appears to have been very slow in this regard to be honest. 

Agree been a slow roll out of the vaccine. Thailand is not alone in this regard.

Until the vaccine program gathers momentum, believe the key is Back to Basics - social distancing, face masks, restrict indoor gatherings (clubs and bars) and protect the vulnerable. The Thais generally are good at this, just the HiSos got tired of it all. Bars, clubs closed, precautions back, contact tracing still possible with the numbers as nothing like Europe, and the health volunteers will help in the provinces. 

I'm hopeful and will be interesting to see which provinces sort it soonest. Expect Bangkok will be last.

• Like 1

not with there covid-19 plans for vaccination!!!!

won't reach herd vaccination the way they are going and pass the responsibility("excuse" to private hospitals and clinics.")

what happens in the areas that do not have private hospitals or clinics????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Could do a survey of whether people would like to see the return of "World News"

Unfortunately, that will not be possible at that time, but it is missed by many.  Now, let's get to Covid in this topic.

4 hours ago, faraday said:

How much do you get paid for these surveys , Scott,?

And my post is gone....no doubt labelled as a troll post.

No, it's not trolling.  Maybe a comment on moderation, though.   Mod's and Admin do not get paid.   But just to keep this on track, let's get back to Covid in Thailand.  

I think Thailand is headed toward a taste of the hurt that much of the rest of the world has witnessed.   I don't think it's anybody's fault, it's just almost inevitable when dealing with a highly infectious disease.   

• Like 2

Interesting in what the PM and health minister will do next having totalled the economy with no virus only to be savaged again with the same virus with help from some gyrating girls and a bunch of their own ministers????  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I think Thailand is headed toward a taste of the hurt that much of the rest of the world has witnessed.   I don't think it's anybody's fault, it's just almost inevitable when dealing with a highly infectious disease.   

I sincerely hope not. The indifference prayut & et al show, this country could be devastated. 

I prey that this stupid virus goes away. Soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Credo said:

Yes,I agree.

It is hard to tell what the future will bring and how predictable it will be.

Back to basics (mentioned by another poster) seems a reasonable start.

• Like 1

Personal responsibility is key until everyone gets a vaccine.  Social distance, wear a mask, and wash your hands. 

Government can only get virus under "control" by getting and distributing vaccines as quickly as possible.   Have no idea if vaccines are available as so many other countries are getting millions currently.  

Stay safe out there people!   

Traffic deaths already rolling upwards from 1st official day of Songkran.

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, faraday said:

I sincerely hope not. The indifference prayut & et al show, this country could be devastated. 

I prey that this stupid virus goes away. Soon.

unfortunately this UK strain is a lot more infectious than the original Wuhan strain that the Thais successfully beat twice previously. 

The UK should have locked themselves down in September last year. But they didn’t. And now it has spread all over the world killing thousands and finishing off thousands of businesses that had been able to just survive the first two waves.

A tragedy that was preventable. Now the UK don’t want to share the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That flies in the face of the results of countries that have in fact, brough the virus under control.

I cite the UK for example, yes, the UK.

The UK government made a proper hash of things during most of 2020 and the virus went wild.  Our 'leaders' failed to act on advice and wasted vast amounts of time and money on measures that just didn't work. People ignored the rules in full view of the authorities etc. etc. - it was nothing short of a complete shambles. Many European countries experienced the same problems - some faired better, some about the same.  Other countries that had experience of epidemics before did much better.

However, the one thing that has been a total game changer in the UK is the vaccine.  From January to now, the difference that having an effective vaccine makes is clear to see. 

I would agree that shutdown measures have made little difference in the UK but that's because the perception of a lockdown and what happens in reality are two completely different things. The fact is that the virus cannot spread if people don't mix - if a lockdown is properly applied and adhered to, it will not only work, it will not need to be so long.

The lockdown us what reduced infections. 

Now most people are vaccinated and the lockdown is easing, the cases of infection are on the rise again.

Also moat people have only had the first injection so far....and we are told the vaccine does not stop infection, only symptoms....

Just now, Peter Denis said:

What about strengthening your immune system and applying some common sense?  But the latter seems to be in short supply...

Mitigates spread but the virus doesn't go away. If you believe that herd immunity will occur naturally, you're deluded. It would be the first virus in history where herd immunity was achieved without vaccines.  Try using your common sense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

unfortunately this UK strain is a lot more infectious than the original Wuhan strain that the Thais successfully beat twice previously. 

The UK should have locked themselves down in September last year. But they didn’t. And now it has spread all over the world killing thousands and finishing off thousands of businesses that had been able to just survive the first two waves.

A tragedy that was preventable. Now the UK don’t want to share the vaccine.

What nonsense ! The vaccine is in European countries production and development paid for by UK.  The EU has failed miserably .total EU disaster

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Where was the option to say no government can control COVID.

No need to bash the thai government.

Also no option to say it depends if all Thai people are willing to take it seriously again and modify their behavior as though the risk of the virus is real.  The behavior of the average Thai now and at Christmas suggests they aren't doing a lot to try to stop the spread.

26 minutes ago, polpott said:

Mitigates spread but the virus doesn't go away. If you believe that herd immunity will occur naturally, you're deluded. It would be the first virus in history where herd immunity was achieved without vaccines.  Try using your common sense.

The idea that herd immunity could be achieved with mass-vaccination also looks like a pipe-dream according to this March 2021 article in Nature.

> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

Even with vaccination efforts in full force, the theoretical threshold for vanquishing COVID-19 looks to be out of reach.

And the author spells out five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible:

• It's unclear whether vaccines prevent transmission
  • Vaccine roll-out is uneven
  • New variants change the herd-immunity equation
  • Immunity might not last forever
  • Vaccines might change human behavior

Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible _ Nature - March 2021.pdf

• Like 1

Just now, jak2002003 said:

The lockdown us what reduced infections. 

Now most people are vaccinated and the lockdown is easing, the cases of infection are on the rise again.

Also moat people have only had the first injection so far....and we are told the vaccine does not stop infection, only symptoms....

The lockdown did greatly reduce spread but the success in the UK is primarily in vaccinating 50% of the adult population. Infections are not on the rise, they continue to fall. 2584 new infections and 40 deaths yesterday, over 6000 on the 25th March.

The first injection gives good levels of protection better than some vaccines after the full dosage. Having vaccinated over 50s and high risk groups, the UK is now concentrating on administering the 2nd dose. Yesterday: 83.5 k given 1st dose, 255k given 2nd dose. 

The vaccine produces high levels of immunity, almost as high as the levels of efficacy.

• Like 2