SURVEY: Will Thailand get the virus under control?

Scott

SURVEY: Covid, out of control or controllable?  

473 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sounds a lot like scaremongering, as the two US vaccines provide high protection against the Brazilian variant. Vaccines will be improved. Now that the basis is there its not that hard.

But yes Shinovax does not seem to work the other vaccines do (a bit less then the normal variant)

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-variant

This is still being studied.  No conclusive answers yet.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/04/09/985745837/can-vaccines-stop-variants-heres-what-we-know-so-far

"There's just not enough information really to draw any substantive conclusions," O'Brien said.

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thailand did a great job in containing the 1st and 2nd wave but they did a terrible job for 3rd wave in allowing people to spread out from Bangkok

"Thailand did a great job in containing the 1st and 2nd wave".  The second wave???? What about the officials getting paid to look the other way when the Burmese illegal workers were coming through the border into Thailand and spreading it through the seafood markets.

We are still waiting for the unelected "PMs" findings from the "investigations" he said he was going to do? His lies would put real politicians to shame.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Supports vaccination in Thailand starting in the first half of 2021

Well, we've already long finished with the first quarter. Perhaps ten weeks left in second which completes the 'first half of 2021'.

Misprint? 2022?

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Thailand did a great job in containing the 1st and 2nd wave".  The second wave???? What about the officials getting paid to look the other way when the Burmese illegal workers were coming through the border into Thailand and spreading it through the seafood markets.

We are still waiting for the unelected "PMs" findings from the "investigations" he said he was going to do? His lies would put real politicians to shame.

That aside but I remember the seafood province Samut Sakhon? was locked down and nobody was allowed to go out of that province, correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by EricTh

Just now, EricTh said:

That aside but I remember the seafood province Samut Sakhon? was locked down and nobody was allowed to go out of that province, correct me if I am wrong.

It was too late by then, the unelected "PM" and his "government" did nothing about stopping the illegal workers coming from Burma.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

but exercise, fresh clean air (yes I do breath it, even in Thailand) and a good diet all help to protect us.

OMG.   You're right !   Now i understand why 90% of the world population is deathly scared of facing any potential health hazard .   I mean c'mon,  how many people in today's world are willing to take care of themselves?     Now their cars and ipads ......., they are kept in pristine

working order.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

What about strengthening your immune system and applying some common sense?  But the latter seems to be in short supply...

I believe it is possible to strengthen the immune system Peter but it weakens naturally with age and cannot be fully restored - I believe that is why older people are affected most by this virus.

• Like 2

OD nungsongsahm ....    I do realize that there are people with health issues.  Of course some of those may have not been preventable,  but IMO   and FMO (from my observations),

the vast numbers of people of all ages that i witness walking around.... (if they can even be bothered to do that)....... 

seem to me to be the new evolution of homo sapiens .  a kentucky fried ipad swiping idle griping ego driven entitled mass of carbohydrates. 

surely all can not be painted with one brush.   there are exceptions to the norm..........

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

91% of all pogo stick riders may (or may not) agree with your post..

tough love has not been in fashion for a long time.

giving children the remote and telling them to go watch something has been

Edited by rumak

11 minutes ago, rumak said:

tough love has not been in fashion for a long time.

giving people the remote and telling them to go watch something has been

As I stated above-you appear to be the master of the broad stroke....an observation 'pon your rhetorical style-no offence intended,of course.

Meanwhile we will all have to to exercise due caution and wait for the vaccines to roll out at least that is what my family and I shall be doing along with Mickey the family dog.

Edited by Odysseus123

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

As I stated above-you appear to be the master of the broad stroke....an observation 'pon your rhetorical style-no offence intended.

Meanwhile we will all have to to exercise due caution and wait for the vaccines to roll out at least that is what my family and I shall be doing along with Mickey the family dog.

Now there you go,  trying to garner love and affection by bringing a dog into the picture.

Always the best wishes for you from Rumak ,   and Mickey too (remember that mask ! )

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

Now there you go,  trying to garner love and affection by bringing a dog into the picture.

Always the best wishes for you from Rumak ,   and Mickey too (remember that mask ! )

If Presidential contender Richard Nixon tried it-I cannot see why I can't try it as well.

Anyways I cannot recognise Mickey when he's got a mask on....

Edited by Odysseus123

On 4/11/2021 at 12:40 PM, Wiggy said:

IMHO I don’t think the government are taking this latest wave very seriously at all, and I wonder if it’s because they and their cronies have probably been vaccinated. 

Where , was their vaccine sourced , China .?

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The information regarding vaccine efficacy is readily available, its hard to understand how so many people get it wrong - unless it is, they want to?

I'm not going to quote you the figures for each individual vaccine - they've been published in several readily available news sources. But taking just one, the AZ vaccine - trials produced the following (after 2 doses, 12 weeks apart):

Overall protection -  82% (CI: 63% - 92%).

Protection against severe illness, hospitalisation and death - 100%

Protection against asymptomatic transmission - 50% (CI: 38% - 59%)

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-confirms-protection-against-severe-disease-hospitalisation-and-death-in-the-primary-analysis-of-phase-iii-trials.html

(AZ's own report but results also backed up by subsequent peer reviews and tested by various country's medical authorities.)

I believe that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines produce similar results.

I said most people have only have the first injection...so how much protection does that give without the follow up second one? 

And, does it have to be the same brand? Because people are having the second injection of a different vaccine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I said most people have only have the first injection...so how much protection does that give without the follow up second one? 

How much protection you get from one shot of the Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Moderna vaccines, according to the best available data

Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are likely 80% effective against symptomatic COVID-19 after one dose.

A single AstraZeneca shot is probably at least 70% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-vaccine-one-shot-effectiveness-pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-vaccines-dose-2021-3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

And, does it have to be the same brand? Because people are having the second injection of a different vaccine. 

Given that the number of studies that would have to be done would mean an exponential increase, it's unlikely that we'll ever know anything approaching a complete answer to that question.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, elliss said:

Where , was their vaccine sourced , China .?

Could be from anywhere, as we wouldn’t necessarily be privy to that information.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I said most people have only have the first injection

Yes but you also said ........and we are told the vaccine does not stop infection, only symptoms. - you didn't imply that efficacy was dependent on having both doses.

But why on earth has that any bearing on the matter? Who in their right mind would only have half the dose?

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't know of anyone who's done that.  The advice in the UK is that even in the light of the recent controvesy over the AZ vaccine, those who had AZ for their first dose should continue and have it for the second. I'll be having mine on 25 May - nothing will stop me unless the medical advice changes. There are however, trials taking place at the moment in an effort to establish whether or not there is any benefit or disadvantage to mixing vaccines.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

and we are told the vaccine does not stop infection, only symptoms..

Your most recent post does not change the fact that you were wrong on the above point in your earlier one.  Who were we told that by? I've never heard that or been told that by anyone. Please reference your claims.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The reason why the death toll from Spanish Flu was so high was because the second wave was a mutation that killed off young, healthy victims as well as the old.

Let's hope this virus doesn't emulate it, or gawd 'elp us!

I don't think your narrative is actually true. Although it is true that that flu hit young adults the hardest and there were multiple waves, my understanding is that it was not because of a mutation. It was that way from the first wave. A current theory as to why is that older people had other flu strains in their youth that provided some immunity to that particularly deadly flu and younger people missed that. 

As far as Covid-19  and the Brazilian variation, yes it is hitting younger people in much higher percentages than before. Yes, the world should be very alarmed by this as the vaccination program in most of the world isn't happening quickly enough.

That said, we should have some perspective. That we have multiple vaccines that are effective so incredibly quickly is a major and historic accomplishment of science. But the vaccines are worthless unless they get into enough arms quickly enough. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2