Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

3 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I was told after moving my Tabien Bahn to Bkk, I'd have to wait 3 months before applying, so never took the documents to BKK. Then, I called SB and they said I could apply straight away! Sigh, so much varying information.

Also, noticed that now I have 2 yellow books. My previous one was kept by that amphur. My lat yellow book is only 4 years old -  could this be a problem? Please don't tell me I'll have to go back to that province to get a letter from there!

The book is tied to the house not you. When you move out of one address, the yellow book will be retained by the District Office where it was issued (if the have the opportunity arises). I assume your current book is for the address where you currently reside. That is the one you need for your application. Likewise, if you wish to move address to Bangkok. Your current yellow book becomes worthless to you, the one issued for your new address in Bangkok will be the one you will need for your application. No mention needs to be made about previous yellow books in so far as they are irrelevant to you and your citizenship application. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2017 at 11:06 AM, EricTh said:

I read the first post but he had a work permit in Thailand.

Is there anyway for a retiree to get Thai citizenship? What are the requirements.

I disagree with some members, 

You can apply by section 11 that includes section 10 (4)(5).

11(1) you must show you have been of done acts of benefit to thai. 10 (4) docimile in Thailand not less than 5 years at the time of application. 

10 (5) speak Thai. 

33 minutes ago, greenchair said:

11(1) you must show you have been of done acts of benefit to thai. 10 (4) docimile in Thailand not less than 5 years at the time of application. 

10 (5) speak Thai. 

Wow! Thanks a lot. 

This is my first year so I still have to wait 4 more years. Speaking Thai is not a problem.

Where can I get more information regarding this? Is there an office in Chiang Mai or do I go to Bangkok?

The ministry name and road name would be helpful. 

Edited by EricTh

Wow! Thanks a lot. 

This is my first year so I still have to wait 4 more years. Speaking Thai is not a problem.

Where can I get more information regarding this? Is there an office in Chiang Mai or do I go to Bangkok?

Don't put your hopes too high. You need to show that you have done good deeds to thailand. Which has to be something of an extra ordinary kind. Not a simple thing like you paid medical bills for Somchai or taught english to kids etc.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

The book is tied to the house not you. When you move out of one address, the yellow book will be retained by the District Office where it was issued (if the have the opportunity arises). I assume your current book is for the address where you currently reside. That is the one you need for your application. Likewise, if you wish to move address to Bangkok. Your current yellow book becomes worthless to you, the one issued for your new address in Bangkok will be the one you will need for your application. No mention needs to be made about previous yellow books in so far as they are irrelevant to you and your citizenship application. 

I see. So 5 years is for living in Thailand but you don't need the Tabien Bahn for 5 years. I believe you more point though if you have a longer time.

I think I'll lodge the application next month. I think I have to take my wife and children. 

58 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I see. So 5 years is for living in Thailand but you don't need the Tabien Bahn for 5 years. I believe you more point though if you have a longer time.

I think I'll lodge the application next month. I think I have to take my wife and children. 

Based on marriage it is 3 years. However, I only got my yellow house registration book about 8 months before I applied if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greenchair said:

10 (5) speak Thai. 

I have never heard of anyone obtaining Thai nationality under Section 11.1 has rendered distinguished service to Thailand or has done acts to the benefit of official service, which is deemed suitable by the Minister;  Under a previous nationality act an Italian sculptor, who I believe sculpted the equestrian statue of King Rama VI at Lumpini Park, was bestowed Thai nationality.  The provision is a hang over from several earlier nationality acts and I think might be effectively redundant today.  If not,  I guess it would probably by invitation only and that the Minister will call you, rather than the other way round.  There was an American daughter of missionaries, born in Thailand and speaking the language like the native she is, who attempted to apply under Section 11.1, since she had helped her father produce the only dictionary of a Thai aboriginal language,  but she was given short shrift by officials who flatly refused to accept her application.  Fortunately she later managed to get citizenship on the basis of her birth in Thailand, following the 2008 amendments.  It is highly unlikely that anyone would ever be considered for Section 11.1 anyway, unless they were working in Thailand.  Otherwise it is hard to imagine how they could have performed beneficial acts of such magnitude that they could come to the attention of the Minister.  

For ordinary mortal men, not born in Thailand before 1992, the only realistic routes are either through permanent residence or marriage to a Thai, both of which require the exercise of a profession in the Kingdom .  

8 hours ago, Arkady said:

I have never heard of anyone obtaining Thai nationality under Section 11.1 has rendered distinguished service to Thailand or has done acts to the benefit of official service, which is deemed suitable by the Minister;  Under a previous nationality act an Italian sculptor, who I believe sculpted the equestrian statue of King Rama VI at Lumpini Park, was bestowed Thai nationality.  The provision is a hang over from several earlier nationality acts and I think might be effectively redundant today.  If not,  I guess it would probably by invitation only and that the Minister will call you, rather than the other way round.  There was an American daughter of missionaries, born in Thailand and speaking the language like the native she is, who attempted to apply under Section 11.1, since she had helped her father produce the only dictionary of a Thai aboriginal language,  but she was given short shrift by officials who flatly refused to accept her application.  Fortunately she later managed to get citizenship on the basis of her birth in Thailand, following the 2008 amendments.  It is highly unlikely that anyone would ever be considered for Section 11.1 anyway, unless they were working in Thailand.  Otherwise it is hard to imagine how they could have performed beneficial acts of such magnitude that they could come to the attention of the Minister.  

For ordinary mortal men, not born in Thailand before 1992, the only realistic routes are either through permanent residence or marriage to a Thai, both of which require the exercise of a profession in the Kingdom .  

I think this is a very negative view. 

I suggest the 

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

Wow! Thanks a lot. 

I often find people are very negative about what you can and can't do. If I listened to every joebob that told me "you can't do that,I'd be dodo bird by now. 

You have 4 wonderful years to investigate and learn thai. Since you are retired, you will have plenty of time. pop down to special branch in Bangkok, (the police office opposite paragon) and ask them face to face. You never know what little loopholes there might be. 

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

You have 4 wonderful years to investigate and learn thai. Since you are retired, you will have plenty of time. pop down to special branch in Bangkok, (the police office opposite paragon) and ask them face to face. You never know what little loopholes there might be. 

Thanks.

Is that the police headquarters in Bangkok near Siam Paragon?

Edited by EricTh

I often find people are very negative about what you can and can't do. If I listened to every joebob that told me "you can't do that,I'd be dodo bird by now. 

Lol. There's a difference between being negative and reality mate. Arkady post which you deem negative is a reality. Go visit the police headquarter and they will make sure to put you out of your dreams
  • Like 1

You are misguided and badly informed which is your privilege but on this forum I don't think it is right to mislead others.Thai immigration rules no matter what you think of them are very clear and administered bureaucratically in a culture which doesn't encourage flexibility.Rules may change over time but there is no possibility of finding loop holes in the way you suggest.

I'm quite interested in the citizenship issue and sparing his blushes I can't imagine a better informed or more articulate guide than Arkady.So please don't muddy waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You are misguided and badly informed which is your privilege but on this forum I don't think it is right to mislead others.Thai immigration rules no matter what you think of them are very clear and administered bureaucratically in a culture which doesn't encourage flexibility.Rules may change over time but there is no possibility of finding loop holes in the way you suggest.

I'm quite interested in the citizenship issue and sparing his blushes I can't imagine a better informed or more articulate guide than Arkady.So please don't muddy waters.

We all are entitled to our right to post. Arkady can stand up for himself so stop butt kissing. I stand by my statement, the best place to get information is at the relevant office and even then, I've been told many a time no no, yes. 

So don't talk to me about thailand being inflexible. The man is retired, what would it hurt him to have a try. Some people here are determined to frighten would be citizens off. It does not say in any of the laws that a retired person cannot apply. He should go and ask. 

If wasting time is no problem, feel free to knock yourself out. You are talking to people who have already gone through the process from start to finish and know what they are talking about. You can either take in our knowledge, or you can start from scratch and waste a lot of time and effort. Up to you, so knock yourself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 7/12/2017 at 11:14 AM, JackThompson said:

You need a work-permit and working and paying taxes for years to qualify to apply for Citizenship or Permanent Residence.  If married to a Thai, it makes more sense to go for Citizenship (cheaper - not including lawyer's costs for either - and full-rights as a citizen). 
See Camerata's thread for the Permanent-Residence process, which might be a better route if you are not married to a Thai:
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

I'm married in Thailand with my Thai wife and now have two children at the ages of 11 & 12, kindly advice the process to qualify for the Thai citizenship. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

I'm married in Thailand with my Thai wife and now have two children at the ages of 11 & 12, kindly advice the process to qualify for the Thai citizenship. Thanks

I am not an expert - just finding the way through it myself.  I would start with the beginning of this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

We all are entitled to our right to post. Arkady can stand up for himself so stop butt kissing. I stand by my statement, the best place to get information is at the relevant office and even then, I've been told many a time no no, yes. 

So don't talk to me about thailand being inflexible. The man is retired, what would it hurt him to have a try. Some people here are determined to frighten would be citizens off. It does not say in any of the laws that a retired person cannot apply. He should go and ask. 

A lot of retired people waste a huge amount of time researching the possibilities of PR and citizenship when there is no possibility of proceeding with either.All the necessary information is on this forum and there are experts available to guide.Certainly there is some flexibility on entry requirements etc from Immigration Officers at ports of entry etc.But on matters like PR and citizenship, rules have been burnished and refined in the Thai political and official bureaucracy and there is no flexibility at all, at least on essentials - nor would even a high level official have the willingness let alone the power to make exceptions.All of this you would have grasped if you had long experience of dealing with Thai bureaucrats at the higher level.I don't think people should be encouraged to make pointless journeys.Nevertheless if someone is perfectly happy to make inquiries in the knowledge there is no prospect of flexibility, so be it.

• Like 2

That wasn't very nice. 
Who wants to read 20 pages 

Who wants to repeat what's already here? If you're too lazy to spend 10 minutes helping yourself by reading a thread, what are the chances you'll make it through the naturalization process?

Anyway, if you want to be "nice", you're welcome to answer the guy's question.

10 minutes ago, jayboy said:

A lot of retired people waste a huge amount of time researching the possibilities of PR and citizenship when there is no possibility of proceeding with either.All the necessary information is on this forum and there are experts available to guide.Certainly there is some flexibility on entry requirements etc from Immigration Officers at ports of entry etc.But on matters like PR and citizenship, rules have been burnished and refined in the Thai political and official bureaucracy and there is no flexibility at all, at least on essentials - nor would even a high level official have the willingness let alone the power to make exceptions.All of this you would have grasped if you had long experience of dealing with Thai bureaucrats at the higher level.I don't think people should be encouraged to make pointless journeys.Nevertheless if someone is perfectly happy to make inquiries in the knowledge there is no prospect of flexibility, so be it.

Perhaps one of those "lot of retired people " would care to comment. 

Oh what, there aren't any on the thread 555

11 minutes ago, NewlyMintedThai said:

Well, you could set up a company, relinquish your retirement visa in favor of a non-imm B and work permit, then wait three years. That is, if you really wanted to.

Are you replying to my post?

I am on extensions based upon marriage so I could work. I looked into setting up a company a few years ago but decided not to do to bother with it a the time since I was not sure how long  it might take to get the final approval. Also since I didn't really need the income from the company it would only be set up to get a work permit and etc and was worried I might be turned down.