Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

7 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Getting Thai nationality is all just a matter of how much you want to put into it.  For me I spent approximately 3500 EUR per year total to maintain a company on paper and pay taxes in Thailand to qualify me to apply  (including cost to set up company, taxes, Work permits, employee taxes and social fund contributions, accounting and auditing fees every month and year, etc) for almost 6 years (3 years before I applied and 3 years after I applied). I had to do this since my company is based overseas.  I'm here because Thailand is such a nice place to live.  So I invested about 20,000 Euro total in my pursuit of Thai citizenship.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely! Owning land, the convenience of flashing my blue ID card or Thai passport when needed is so satisfying.  I never paid a single bribe, and I jumped through all of the hoops unaided by lawyers or connections.  Anyone can do it, it just depends on how much you care about it.  As far as I'm concerned, the only limiting factor is wanting to live in Thailand long term and being married to a Thai person. 

If I had known at the beginning how easy it is to set up a company and do the monthly accounting, then I probably could have done everything for 10,000 EUR total.  

If you are already working in Thailand and married to a Thai person, then why wait, apply now.  Your only cost is 10100 THB as david143 mentioned. 

Wow, that's quite some financial commitment! Congratulations. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Getting Thai nationality is all just a matter of how much you want to put into it.  For me I spent approximately 3500 EUR per year total to maintain a company on paper and pay taxes in Thailand to qualify me to apply  (including cost to set up company, taxes, Work permits, employee taxes and social fund contributions, accounting and auditing fees every month and year, etc) for almost 6 years (3 years before I applied and 3 years after I applied). I had to do this since my company is based overseas.  I'm here because Thailand is such a nice place to live.  So I invested about 20,000 Euro total in my pursuit of Thai citizenship.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely! Owning land, the convenience of flashing my blue ID card or Thai passport when needed is so satisfying.  I never paid a single bribe, and I jumped through all of the hoops unaided by lawyers or connections.  Anyone can do it, it just depends on how much you care about it.  As far as I'm concerned, the only limiting factor is wanting to live in Thailand long term and being married to a Thai person. 

If I had known at the beginning how easy it is to set up a company and do the monthly accounting, then I probably could have done everything for 10,000 EUR total.  

If you are already working in Thailand and married to a Thai person, then why wait, apply now.  Your only cost is 10100 THB as david143 mentioned. 

Your post gives me hope sir. Well done!

11 hours ago, Arkady said:

I expect we have all been watching the political pantomime over the past couple of days with amazement and wondering what it might mean for citizenship applications.  I doubt the minister will sign any approvals while he is in caretaker minister status but that probably won't make any difference, as there is no evidence that he has signed any, since taking over the job. Since the new PM has already been voted in, I don't think there will be much delay in appointing a new cabinet and getting their Royal endorsements, so they can officially start work.  Media reports suggests there will not be much change from the Srettha cabinet and, if true, that would suggest things are already pretty much agreed and there will be minimum horse trading and delays. 

Since Anutin seems to have gained clout over Thaksin and Pheua Thai during the course of the Srettha government, I would expect him to retain the Interior Ministry which is a very powerful portfolio that he obviously liked and would want to retain.  If that's the case, then there is likely to be little change in the current snail like speed of processing applications beyond the SB level.  If it is someone new, we will have to wait and see what is his approach to citizenship and what sort of priority he places on it.  If it's any consolation, there have been several slow periods in the last couple of decades but they never last for ever.  Sooner or later the logjam breaks and things start moving again.

Thank you @Arkady for your comforting last few lines. I am waiting patiently since 2020 but getting apprehensive with the latest political developments. I hope some mob or the other does not come out on the streets yet again.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2024 at 11:20 AM, saakura said:

Thank you @Arkady for your comforting last few lines. I am waiting patiently since 2020 but getting apprehensive with the latest political developments. I hope some mob or the other does not come out on the streets yet again.

Seems like Ung Ing is going to take about 3 weeks to form a cabinet and claims she will start afresh rather than stick with the Srettha choices.  I still think Anutin is in a strong position with the second largest party and will bargain hard to keep the Interior which is, after all, regarded as the prize ministry.  But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Mobs don't necessarily slow things down.  The red shirts were occupying Ratchprasong in front of National Police HQ during my application with SB and the NIA called me for interview at McDonalds Ratchprasong which was being used for R&R by senior red shirt figures, some of whom I recognized.  It was only possible to get there on the BTS, as the roads were blocked.  It didn't slow things down a bit. The police worked as normal iwith the racket of the loudspeakers in front of their HQ and my application was forwarded to the MOI within three months of starting the process with SB.  Delays only happened at the MOI.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Seems like Ung Ing is going to take about 3 weeks to form a cabinet and claims she will start afresh rather than stick with the Srettha choices.  I still think Anutin is in a strong position with the second largest party and will bargain hard to keep the Interior which is, after all, regarded as the prize ministry.  But we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Mobs don't necessarily slow things down.  The red shirts were occupying Ratchprasong in front of National Police HQ during my application with SB and the NIA called me for interview at McDonalds Ratchprasong which was being used for R&R by senior red shirt figures, some of whom I recognized.  It was only possible to get there on the BTS, as the roads were blocked.  It didn't slow things down a bit. The police worked as normal iwith the racket of the loudspeakers in front of their HQ and my application was forwarded to the MOI within three months of starting the process with SB.  Delays only happened at the MOI.

Hope anutin is thrown out, its well known that he is an anti foreigner 

If he stays,  may not be good for the candidates in the pipeline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Same with me, the process with SB to MOI took just a few months and I also had the NIA interview at their rented co-working space in some Bangkok Soi during the Covid lockdown. Whichever party rules the Interior Ministry gets to appoint their cronies or shuffle all the provincial governors and disburse central budget funds to the provinces. Thereby gaining enormous political clout. So Anuthin will fight to keep it.

44 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Hope anutin is thrown out, its well known that he is an anti foreigner 

If he stays,  may not be good for the candidates in the pipeline.

How ironic considering that his own great grandparents came from China as poor emigrants looking for opportunity and the Thais welcomed them and they are now one among the richest and most successful.

Edited by saakura

2 hours ago, saakura said:

Same with me, the process with SB to MOI took just a few months and I also had the NIA interview at their rented co-working space in some Bangkok Soi during the Covid lockdown. Whichever party rules the Interior Ministry gets to appoint their cronies or shuffle all the provincial governors and disburse central budget funds to the provinces. Thereby gaining enormous political clout. So Anuthin will fight to keep it.

There are many reasons why the MOI is a sought after prize, both financial and political.  The ministry is involved in organizing elections.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, saakura said:

How ironic considering that his own great grandparents came from China as poor emigrants looking for opportunity and the Thais welcomed them and they are now one among the richest and most successful.

Male Shinawatra is even more anti foreigner and highly corrupt.

If I am not wrong, during his last tenure there was no citizenship/PR interviews. Further he increased the PR fee from 50,000 thb to 200,000 thb (to discourage foreigners to apply).

The lady is a mere puppet, the Govt will be run by him.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, david143 said:

yesterday was a Thai Nationality interview meeting was held at Lam Luk Ka District, Pathum Thani .
Candidates from 2019 badge

Great news David

Thanks.

Congrats to all !

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, david143 said:

yesterday was a Thai Nationality interview meeting was held at Lam Luk Ka District, Pathum Thani .
Candidates from 2019 badge

Your friend from Dec 2019 , was he called for interview?

Hi everyone,

I recently got married and have been living here for almost 10 years. I am interested in applying for citizenship and would like to know if the requirements need to be valid for a certain number of months before applying. I currently hold a non-immigrant B visa and have a valid work permit. I have been working at my current company for 9 months, and I was with my previous company for 2.8 years.

Thank you for your help.

11 hours ago, JayLeno said:

Hi everyone,

I recently got married and have been living here for almost 10 years. I am interested in applying for citizenship and would like to know if the requirements need to be valid for a certain number of months before applying. I currently hold a non-immigrant B visa and have a valid work permit. I have been working at my current company for 9 months, and I was with my previous company for 2.8 years.

Thank you for your help.

If I were you, I'd contact the Thai Citizenship group on FB. They'll supply all the info you need.

14 minutes ago, JayLeno said:

I thought this thread would be the best place. Am I wrong?

From what I've read here, if you're a resident of Bangkok, fastest and most reliable source of information for your particulars is Special Police Bureau. They are the ones who would set you on the right path.

Or, alternatively, read this entire thread, only took me about 2ish weeks😅

Edited by IsaanExpat
Spelling

This is great news for those on the waiting list. I wonder if all those who were invited were applicants based on PR or there were also applicants based on marriage to Thais.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

This is great news for those on the waiting list. I wonder if all those who were invited were applicants based on PR or there were also applicants based on marriage to Thais.

They had both, those based on PR and based on marriage to a Thai citizen. The females married to male Thai citizens were the first in the list to be interviewed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, saakura said:

They had both, those based on PR and based on marriage to a Thai citizen. The females married to male Thai citizens were the first in the list to be interviewed.

Congrats

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

Correct, and I was in that batch. Phew, my waiting finally paid off in the sense that I am one step further. Most candidates I spoke to had applied in 2019, some even earlier. 

This meeting was number 1/2567 and rumour has it that there will be monthly meetings again from now on. While the staff would neither confirm nor deny this, this meeting shows that things are moving again.

Interesting: They asked for my work permit and took a copy of the page with the personal details and the latest extension. I had brought all my books even though the invitation only asked for the passport and the alien book. They also asked for the latest tax declaration (ภ.ง.ด. 91) which I did not bring. They asked to send it by email and had prepared an email address for that. I wasn't the only one, I guess everyone who had applied on basis of business was asked or these.

Good wishes

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, GarryP said:

Since most people I saw were couples, I thought that most applications were based on marriage. Thinking about it, the Thai wife might have accompanied her foreign husband for support, and he might have applied based on business. Who knows. Anyway, I was told by the staff that they would interview the applicants based on marriage first, and that's why I had to wait until afternoon. This shows that there were indeed applicants based on marriage.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:14 AM, saakura said:

Thank you and yes, the news is correct. On 29th Aug, I got a call from SB asking if I still remember having applied for citizenship and if I could attend the MOI committee meeting the next morning. He further asked me if I was still working at the same job and staying in the same residence. An official invitation was sent by email (attached here) asking to carry original PR, WP, Thabien Baan and PP.

Upon reaching next morning, they only asked for a copy of my WP and tax submissions for 2023 (which I did not have and explained that it was not mentioned in the letter. They accepted to receive it by email but no mention of it was made again and I did not ask). The interview itself lasted about 7 minutes with very general banter about work, family, hobbies, food etc. Thank you for all the support and I will update any further developments.

51049.jpg

This is why I stated in this forum a few times I was told do not cancel your work permit or Visa until you have the declaration in hand and register at the District Office. They can ask for these documents at any stage in the process until the end.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:09 AM, onthemoon said:

Correct, and I was in that batch. Phew, my waiting finally paid off in the sense that I am one step further. Most candidates I spoke to had applied in 2019, some even earlier. 

This meeting was number 1/2567 and rumour has it that there will be monthly meetings again from now on. While the staff would neither confirm nor deny this, this meeting shows that things are moving again.

Interesting: They asked for my work permit and took a copy of the page with the personal details and the latest extension. I had brought all my books even though the invitation only asked for the passport and the alien book. They also asked for the latest tax declaration (ภ.ง.ด. 91) which I did not bring. They asked to send it by email and had prepared an email address for that. I wasn't the only one, I guess everyone who had applied on basis of business was asked or these.

You applied based on having 5 year PR right? Did you have to sing the songs?

• Haha 1