90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
Over 100,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities
40,000 to 50,000 – 15 points
50,000 to 60,000 – 20 points
Over 60,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities holding an Alien ID Card for 10 years or more:
20,000 to 30,000 – 15 points
30,000 to 40,000 – 20 points
Over 40,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
Over 60,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
Over 40,000 – 25 points

Income (monthly) on which tax paid:
80,000 to 100,000 – 15 points
100,000 to 120,000 – 20 points
Over 120,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) on which tax paid in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
40,000 to 60,000 – 15 points
60,000 to 80,000 – 20 points
Over 80,000 – 25 points

RESIDENCE IN THAILAND
Domicile:
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years but no Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate – 5 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 5 years – 10 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 7 years – 15 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 10 years – 20 points

KNOWLEDGE OF THAI LANGUAGE
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai – 8 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai and sing the National and Royal Anthems – 10 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read Thai – 13 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read and write Thai – 15 points

KNOWLEDGE OF THAILAND
Has a medium level knowledge of Thailand
(1-5 correct answers) – 5 points
Has a good knowledge of Thailand
(6-8 correct answers) – 8 points
Has a very good knowledge of Thailand
(9-10 correct answers) -10 points

PERSONALITY
Assessment based on personality, physical appearance and bearing, speech, Thai manners, attitude towards Thailand, Thai culture and ceremonies - 5 points

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 10:22 AM, cmsally said:

Following on from my last post - the process of cancelling Thai visa (the last thing to do). (Apart from getting Thai passport, which can be done at any time.)

If using CM immigration there is a counter labelled quite clearly "cancel visa". Going to that counter you will need to explain to them you are cancelling your visa as you now have Thai nationality.

They require your passport, your Thai ID card.

Photocopies  (1 set) , of each page of passport incl. 90 days, TM entry card

also ID card  (in my case I incl. house reg. but don't know if they required it).

They will require copies of the document that proves you have Thai nationality - which in my case was the copy of Royal Gazette announcement. A copy that came by post with attaching letter , stamped and signed (photocopy of each page, even pages listing other peoples names).

Took 20 mins max.; you will get a stamp in your passport saying that on xx date you no longer need to extend you visa as you now have Thai nationality. Date on stamp also gives date you cancelled your visa.

Congrats - glad they are more efficient in CM.

My wife went in at 11am at Chaengwattana and didn't leave till after 6pm for the same thing!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, samran said:

Congrats - glad they are more efficient in CM.

My wife went in at 11am at Chaengwattana and didn't leave till after 6pm for the same thing!

My experience working with Immigration in various provinces vs Chaengwattana is exactly the same.  Chaengwattana is a perfect example of why throwing more people at a problem doesn’t solve the underlying process flow issues.  The provinces do a much better job, especially the smaller provinces.

For those that moved their Yellow Book to BKK for the process, definitely move everything back, and get a new ID card with your real provincial address, so that you can take care of Visa cancellation in your home province.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Has anyone thats moved their yellow book to bkk changed it back to their another province before the oath? 

I was just thinking about this actually. 

As it stands, I'll have to travel to Bkk twice after the oath and organize the owners of the Bkk house to be available.

Sorry, I don't know the answer.

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was just thinking about this actually. 

As it stands, I'll have to travel to Bkk twice after the oath and organize the owners of the Bkk house to be available.

Sorry, I don't know the answer.

I changed mine a few minutes ago 20 baht. I believe it needs to be changed before the oath. Otherwise i will be traveling to bkk for id and if they cant sort it i dont want to make multiple trips. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khongaeng said:

For those that moved their Yellow Book to BKK for the process, definitely move everything back, and get a new ID card with your real provincial address, so that you can take care of Visa cancellation in your home province.  

Do you know if all Provincial offices are able to issue a new ID card?

I changed the yellow book (Bangkok) to a blue one (province where I live) after I did the oath and got the ID card. I was worried that it might cause problems in the same way that everyone says you should keep your work permit valid throughout. I just wanted to play it safe.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, saakura said:

Thank you for the good information. I am eligible both by way of PR and marriage to a Thai national, but was advised to take the marriage route. Will report back next about how it went. As it is scorching hot in Bangkok now, plan to go in smart casual attire and a good pair of shoes, no tie.

So you are saying that after these 2 interviews with SB & NIA, it will take several years before being interviewed by the big MOI committee? That is a mighty disappointment and a risk since i may retire just short of 4 years from now.

My SB interviews with 2 different officers (they both have tiny individual cabins just behind where the case officers are sitting) went off well. We were ushered into the first cabin where after normal courtsies, there were some expected questions about the year and reason for my arrival in Thailand, my education, work and my family back home, how i met my wife etc. And he then gave me a printed sheet with 10 questions in Thai language, with 4 answers for each and i had to tick the right answer. I can read Thai very well but he volunteered to help if required. I got all the answers right (extremely basic questions) and my points added up to 73 (after some extra documents regarding my Master's degree in Engineering was asked for). In the next cabin with the higher officer, it was just friendly idle banter in Thai.

Everyone was very friendly and polite. But other than telling me my points score and assuring me of a fair chance at success, they had no information about the next timeline. Anyone know how long before the NIA interview? And will it be somewhere in the same complex or some different location in Bangkok?

Edited by saakura

I also had to sign my name in Thai about 15 times on various forms the case handler had prepared for me. I was then given 3 sealed envelopes with government emblems. Two of them i had to go and deliver at my home embassy (understood that one of them was to do with "intention of giving my nationality" but not sure about the second sealed envelope.). The third sealed envelope i had to deliver to the district office where our marriage was registered (understand that this is for cross checking that the marriage is genuine). 

20 minutes ago, saakura said:

My SB interviews with 2 different officers (they both have tiny individual cabins just behind where the case officers are sitting) went off well. We were ushered into the first cabin where after normal courtsies, there were some expected questions about the year and reason for my arrival in Thailand, my education, work and my family back home, how i met my wife etc. And he then gave me a printed sheet with 10 questions in Thai language, with 4 answers for each and i had to tick the right answer. I can read Thai very well but he volunteered to help if required. I got all the answers right (extremely basic questions) and my points added up to 73 (after some extra documents regarding my Master's degree in Engineering was asked for). In the next cabin with the higher officer, it was just friendly idle banter in Thai.

Everyone was very friendly and polite. But other than telling me my points score and assuring me of a fair chance at success, they had no information about the next timeline. Anyone know how long before the NIA interview? And will it be somewhere in the same complex or some different location in Bangkok?

NIA is 4-6 weeks its not in the same area. 

15 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Its been so long but isnt on for the bank to show your balance? 

I'm pretty sure there wasn't one for that.

1- Embassy to show age of majority and confirm passport

2 - Embassy - background check(which they never did)

3 - Amphur where we got married

4 - Khet in Bangkok for choosing Thai name

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm pretty sure there wasn't one for that.

1- Embassy to show age of majority and confirm passport

2 - Embassy - background check(which they never did)

3 - Amphur where we got married

4 - Khet in Bangkok for choosing Thai name

I actually got six letters, the four above + two letters for Chaeng Wattana PR section (Regarding PR Blue book and alien Red book).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, saakura said:

I also had to sign my name in Thai about 15 times on various forms the case handler had prepared for me. I was then given 3 sealed envelopes with government emblems. Two of them i had to go and deliver at my home embassy (understood that one of them was to do with "intention of giving my nationality" but not sure about the second sealed envelope.). The third sealed envelope i had to deliver to the district office where our marriage was registered (understand that this is for cross checking that the marriage is genuine). 

My NIA was at McDonald's. one could choose not to deliver anything to the embassy. there isnt any follow up by sb on such matters.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, echrist said:

My NIA was at McDonald's. one could choose not to deliver anything to the embassy. there isnt any follow up by sb on such matters.

I doubt his application would move without intention to renounce notarized by his embassy 

19 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I doubt his application would move without intention to renounce notarized by his embassy 

Yes, for men this is a must.  Your MOI interview will not happen until you have this letter in the file.  I know someone whose application was "lost" from long before the requirement was instituted.  When attempting to reactivate his application, he was told he must submit that letter.

For me, only 3 letters were given from SB, I was not required to show majority of age, and the passport notarization and criminal record letter was combined into one.  

52 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

So will the NIA interview happen only after the notarization by my embassy? I delivered the sealed envelopes to the clerk at my embassy, hoping he did not throw it in the trash can. Due to covid distancing, there was a table set up on the embassy grounds with just a clerk to take the envelopes, i have no no proof of acknowledgement that he did receive it.

8 minutes ago, saakura said:

So will the NIA interview happen only after the notarization by my embassy? I delivered the sealed envelopes to the clerk at my embassy, hoping he did not throw it in the trash can. Due to covid distancing, there was a table set up on the embassy grounds with just a clerk to take the envelopes, i have no no proof of acknowledgement that he did receive it.

I cant say for sure but i would follow up and get everything sb wants. Its a 2.5-3 year process so might as well follow all the steps. SB is very helpful and the key to success so keep a good relationship with them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khongaeng said:

Yes, for men this is a must.  Your MOI interview will not happen until you have this letter in the file.  I know someone whose application was "lost" from long before the requirement was instituted.  When attempting to reactivate his application, he was told he must submit that letter.

For me, only 3 letters were given from SB, I was not required to show majority of age, and the passport notarization and criminal record letter was combined into one.  

I don't recall getting a criminal record letter. Perhaps, when I applied it was not a requirement or there was some reason why it was not necessary. I applied in 2012 and at the time I had been on the same visa with annual extensions for at least 20 years.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, echrist said:

I heard about the McD interviews. However, I was invited to NIA HQ last year, and I understand that is the norm now.

I was given three letters by SB: One for the embassy to confirm that my passport copy is true and correct; another one for the embassy to confirm that I have intention to renounce current citizenship; and one for the Khet (Amphur) to apply for a Thai name. I had to bring the three answer letters back to SB.

The NIA interview took place while the answers from the embassy were still pending, the choosing of the Thai name was quick and easy and I had the letter but hadn't handed it in yet.

The case was only moved to the MoI earlier this year after all documentation was complete at SB.

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I heard about the McD interviews. However, I was invited to NIA HQ last year, and I understand that is the norm now.

I was given three letters by SB: One for the embassy to confirm that my passport copy is true and correct; another one for the embassy to confirm that I have intention to renounce current citizenship; and one for the Khet (Amphur) to apply for a Thai name. I had to bring the three answer letters back to SB.

The NIA interview took place while the answers from the embassy were still pending, the choosing of the Thai name was quick and easy and I had the letter but hadn't handed it in yet.

The case was only moved to the MoI earlier this year after all documentation was complete at SB.

Thanks, those are exactly the three sealed letters given to me, but i was told that they only needed to be delivered to my embassy and khet. And would be answered directly to SB. Will check with the case officer again on Monday.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:44 PM, Neeranam said:

AGE AND EDUCATION
30 to 40 – 5 points
40 to 50 – 10 points
50 to 60 – 8 points
Over 60 – 5 points

Education:
Mor 6 and above – 3 points
Diploma – 5 points
Bachelors Degree – 8 points
Masters Degree – 10 points
Doctrate – 15 points

SECURITY OF PROFESSION
Income (monthly):
80,000 to 90,000 – 15 points
90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
Over 100,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities
Over 60,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities holding an Alien ID Card for 10 years or more:
Over 40,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
Over 60,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
Over 40,000 – 25 points

Income (monthly) on which tax paid:
80,000 to 100,000 – 15 points
100,000 to 120,000 – 20 points
Over 120,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) on which tax paid in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
40,000 to 60,000 – 15 points
60,000 to 80,000 – 20 points
Over 80,000 – 25 points

RESIDENCE IN THAILAND
Domicile:
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years but no Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate – 5 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 5 years – 10 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 7 years – 15 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 10 years – 20 points

KNOWLEDGE OF THAI LANGUAGE
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai – 8 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai and sing the National and Royal Anthems – 10 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read Thai – 13 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read and write Thai – 15 points

KNOWLEDGE OF THAILAND
Has a medium level knowledge of Thailand
(1-5 correct answers) – 5 points
Has a good knowledge of Thailand
(6-8 correct answers) – 8 points
Has a very good knowledge of Thailand
(9-10 correct answers) -10 points

PERSONALITY
Assessment based on personality, physical appearance and bearing, speech, Thai manners, attitude towards Thailand, Thai culture and ceremonies - 5 points

Can one point on the difference between (married to a thai Monthly salary point)  and (married to a thai monthly salary tax paid)? Why is the latter higher, even though one is married/has children

1 hour ago, Smokegreynblues said:

Can one point on the difference between (married to a thai Monthly salary point)  and (married to a thai monthly salary tax paid)? Why is the latter higher, even though one is married/has children

For a more detailed breakdown, see the following website, which has excellent information :-

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/scoring-criteria-for-thai-naturalisation-applications/

22 hours ago, yankee99 said:

the letter of renunciation that you have stamped and return to sb is not one of the letters your drop off at the embassy. do as you please...im a thai citizen, just sayin'.