Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

38 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Hi Arkady, Boarn mentioned he's 35 and as you said, it means in 4+ years he can secure 5 additional points (compared to applying before). 

Thanks.  That makes it easier for him, if he waits till 40. More time to work on his Thai too.  I think he should be fine.

I believe you are both right about the 8:

I am not a Thai but I have an ID card starting with an 8. sinthavi is right, as I carry PR. The card does not say Thai Citizen, it does say ID card issued for a foreigner living in Thailand permanently. It is easy to distinguish from a Thai citizen ID, as it is pink in colour.

Obonjoe is right, because that list is only about Thai citizens. I am not a Thai citizen (yet), so my case is not even considered in that list. Once I receive Thai citizenship, I will keep the same number.

Edited by onthemoon
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. See 8 here.

image.png.63ff3ad809da0ad26b51411d9e68291e.png

Most Thais I know have first digits 1 or 3.  The prefix 8 is correct.  All naturalised Thais and PRs have that prefix. PRs are issued with their ID number they get their first blue tabian baan as a PR and they retain that number when they become citizens. For the other digits I don't know but it sounds logical.  However, the last 4 digits of my number are the year of my birth in the Thai calendar.  I don't know if that was purely a coincidence or intentional but it does make it easier to remember. I am unaware of any other Thais having that but it could particular to naturalised Thais and PRs, if not just a coincidence.  I have 4 zeros as digits 5 to 8 which also helps memorisation.

Does anyone else have their birth year as the last 4 digits?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. See 8 here.

image.png.63ff3ad809da0ad26b51411d9e68291e.png

PR holders are foreigners having permanent residence in Thailand & get Pink ID cards. These cards start with number 8.

Also, 8 will be the starting number of Thai ID cards of foreigners naturalised  as Thai citizens. 

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

I have 4 zeros as digits 5 to 8 which also helps memorisation.

Does anyone else have their birth year as the last 4 digits?

No, but six zeros in it, so easy to remember. Digits 5 to 9 are 0.

The first digits show the Khet in Bangkok,  I believe. . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Since talking about this no. 8, this is interesting:

I don't know anything about vaccine distribution organised by the mobile phone companies but it would be unconstitutional to discriminate against Thais on grounds of racial origin and it sounds like a screw up by someone. Whoever it was who was not allowed to register should threaten them with a case in the Constitutional Court. May as well through in 112 considering who signed for you to become Thai.

My own experience with vaccine registration was pretty straightforward through Mor (Mai) Prom. The funny thing was that there are two slightly different Mor Prom apps: the original Chonburi Hospital developed one and another version developed later for LINE presumably by the ministry.  I registered on the Chonburi app which was in fact nationwide and it was very easy,  On keying in my ID number it immediately spat out my name in English and suggested an appointment at my local private hospital.  Later I tried to register the mother-in-law on the LINE version and found that the name had to be keyed in in Thai to be spat out again in English. The laser ID number at the back of the ID card also had to be keyed in. It seemed like some thought had gone into how to keep foreigners out when they developed the LINE version which obviously was the one that the vast majority of people downloaded.  The Chonburi people kept sending new versions of their app but never added those nasty racist features. So it was possible for PRs to register pn that one without needing a laser number or being able to key your name in Thai and even non-PR foreigners could register using a pink ID number or social security number.  I helped quite a few people to register and get vaccinated with AZ in the over 60s scheme using the Chonburi app.  I like to think that the Chonburi Hospital developers refused to add the ministry's racist features to the app they designed but who knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That guy is on  a crusade to highlight the unfair treatment he gets as a foreigner and wonders why he gets a hard time from Immigration.  He has been working here for 27 years and could easily have become a Citizen, instead of moaning all the time. 

It sounds a bit like sour grapes on Barrow's part. He was teaching some kind of international programme at a university upcountry until they were told to let him go. He may not have ever earned enough to go the PR route to citizenship.  I don't know, if he has a Thai wife. 

But the point is well made  We come across countless farangs who moan a lot about Immigration etc but have passed up the chance to apply for PR and/or citizenship when they could.  I remember lots of people ridiculing my efforts to get PR when that was the only route to citizenship but I have never had any regrets about applying for either.  Meanwhile many of those guys stayed on in Thailand and had so many hassles that they eventually applied for PR or citizenship many years later when applications (PR in particular) had become a lot more difficult.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I registered on the LINE Mor Prom here in Bangkok (not the Chonburi one) without any problems back in May. In fact, it did not "spit out" anything, but displayed what I had keyed in, which included my name in Thai.

I agree that the rejection of the ID card starting with an 8 must be something the mobile phone companies must have screwed up. 

I was able to register on Mor Prom on day 1 using my pink ID and slave name. Next day they made the 'Thais Only' announcement. But when the time came they honored it.

Edited by qualtrough

Barrow has mentioned that he applied for citizenship but was rejected. I think he didn't meet the salary requirement.

Just because some of us have been more successful doesn't mean it is easy or even possible for others here. There but for the grace of God go I.

I also don't fault him at all for pointing out unfair treatment. 

IMHO he has probably done more to promote Thai tourism that the TAT and private tourism agencies combined. It would be an excellent PR move for the Thai government to bestow an honorary citizenship on him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, qualtrough said:

Barrow has mentioned that he applied for citizenship but was rejected. I think he didn't meet the salary requirement.

Just because some of us have been more successful doesn't mean it is easy or even possible for others here. There but for the grace of God go I.

IMHO he has probably done more to promote Thai tourism that the TAT and private tourism agencies combined. It would be an excellent PR move for the Thai government to bestow an honorary citizenship on him.

He is single and was Rejected from immigration in 2019 from PR.
his house is very near from me , Paknam Samutprakarn.

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I was able to register on Mor Prom on day 1 using my pink ID and slave name. Next day they made the 'Thais Only' announcement. But when the time came they honored it.

I helped a couple of guys apply though the Chonburi Mor Prom using pink ID numbers up to 10 days after they announced it was for Thais only and they got their vaccines. They didn't even do the racial discrimination efficiently.  BTW what is a slave name in this context?

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I agree.  Nothing against Barrow at all. He was right to point out the ID card anomaly and he does a sterling job providing information and promoting tourism in Thailand.  His reports were also great during the red shirt protests in 2010 and he got himself into some pretty hairy situations to let people know what was going on.  It's a shame about his PR application and the way he was kicked out of his job and harassed over his visa. I am glad he got his visa renewed in the end and hope he can doesn't have problems with it in future.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:32 PM, yankee99 said:

ok i just saw this and was wondering if any members here can confirm this to be the case 

FB_IMG_1627561771168.jpg

I was never able to get registered on the Mor Prom App for a Covid vaccine. I got an error “please enter correct information”. After dozens of tries over weeks, the only thing incorrect would have been the starting digit “8”.

I was able to make other arrangements. 2nd jab next week! 

8 hours ago, Kwarium said:

I was never able to get registered on the Mor Prom App for a Covid vaccine. I got an error “please enter correct information”. After dozens of tries over weeks, the only thing incorrect would have been the starting digit “8”.

I was able to make other arrangements. 2nd jab next week! 

I too had the same issue, when I used the app. But I was able to register & get vaccine through Mhophrom line.

20 hours ago, david143 said:

I guess he shouldn't have taken a photo of the head guy at the tax office and posted it all over the internet a few years ago. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Arkady said:

I helped a couple of guys apply though the Chonburi Mor Prom using pink ID numbers up to 10 days after they announced it was for Thais only and they got their vaccines. They didn't even do the racial discrimination efficiently.  BTW what is a slave name in this context?

Some black Americans reject their 'slave names', e.g. the surname given by their master, and adopt a new African name. A good example would be Cassius Clay becoming Muhammed Ali. So by slave name I meant my English or birth name, not the new Thai name that I chose when applying for citizenship.  A joke, and not a very good one, but no apology.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

My wife's ID number is a random number not her birth date. The first digit is 3.

first digit 3 is pre-1984 people maybe they got assigned new numbers on 1984 and I've seen people in same family  (husband, wife, child) got sequential numbers (the last digit being different of course) the newer 1 first digit seem just random 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Some black Americans reject their 'slave names', e.g. the surname given by their master, and adopt a new African name. A good example would be Cassius Clay becoming Muhammed Ali. So by slave name I meant my English or birth name, not the new Thai name that I chose when applying for citizenship.  A joke, and not a very good one, but no apology.

Joke? 

1.) You chose the Thai name by yourself. No "master" gave it to you.

2.) You don't even have to use it.

3.) If becoming a Thai makes you a "slave", don't apply for citizenship. Other people see it as a privilege.

Sorry, I don't usually reply to stupid posts, or to posts I don't agree with. This forum is here to help each other. However, your posting was just over the top. 

Edited by onthemoon

10 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Joke? 

1.) You chose the Thai name by yourself. No "master" gave it to you.

2.) You don't even have to use it.

3.) If becoming a Thai makes you a "slave", don't apply for citizenship. Other people see it as a privilege.

Sorry, I don't usually reply to stupid posts, or to posts I don't agree with. This forum is here to help each other. However, your posting was just over the top. 

Read what I wrote again please and my follow-up post*. By 'slave name' I was referring to my birth or English name, not my Thai name. In other words, my slave name was the name that was given to me at birth, NOT the Thai name that I chose. That was the analogy. The person I was responding to used their Thai name to register for Mor Prom, and I used my English name. In retrospect I could have made that clearer. So all of your crticism above is unwarranted. A poor joke, and it's fine to find fault with that, but nothing at all to do with my feelings about my Thai name, Thai citizenship, or anything related to that.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:53 PM, Arkady said:

Edited by qualtrough
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kwarium said:

This was at Rajapaht University Udon. Ymmv, but making an extra effort can pay off.

I agree, I haven't been able to register with the Mor Prom app, but should contact the local hospital, even though under 60.

I do expect that there will be enough vaccines here in Khon Kaen soon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Read what I wrote again please and my follow-up post*. By 'slave name' I was referring to my birth or English name, not my Thai name. In other words, my slave name was the name that was given to me at birth, NOT the Thai name that I chose. That was the analogy. The person I was responding to used their Thai name to register for Mor Prom, and I used my English name. In retrospect I could have made that clearer. So all of your crticism above is unwarranted. A poor joke, and it's fine to find fault with that, but nothing at all to do with my feelings about my Thai name, Thai citizenship, or anything related to that.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:53 PM, Arkady said:

Some black Americans reject their 'slave names', e.g. the surname given by their master, and adopt a new African name. A good example would be Cassius Clay becoming Muhammed Ali. So by slave name I meant my English or birth name, not the new Thai name that I chose when applying for citizenship.  A joke, and not a very good one, but no apology

One good thing about being Thai, I can change my name relatively easily. 

If I do, I'll get a new British passport first. 

Does anyone know if this would affect my UK pension in 12 years? Would they have to know? 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:11 PM, david143 said:

Has he ever been rejected? I thought he just didn't meet the criteria?