Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Yes! I just got a call from my SB officer about the oath. July 27th at the SB office in BKK. I was in the Sept MOI interview group.

He said to:

1. Bring a bible, or they have one on hand (asked me my religion)

2. Copy of house registration with my name on it.

3. Copy of first page of passport

4 Four 2in. x 2.5in blue background photos

Dress nicely.

Because of Covid nobody else will be there with me. Wife will have to wait outside.

Anything else I should bring/know? If anyone has a link to the process I would appreciate your sharing it.

I got a call this afternoon too, for afternoon of 27th. Same instructions / requirements although I told my SB officer that I wasn't sure I could get photos (blue or grey background) given the 'basically shut all businesses' edict that takes effect tomorrow. He said not to worry too much and just to bring whatever I can, even if they're old photos.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Congrats, you're nearly there! 

Your wife doesn't need to go, I went myself. Best to wear a tie. 

Not sure what link you mean. 

I was told to bring flowers and a candle but I am pretty sure this is only for the Buddhist oath. Relax, it's not serious. 

Thanks. I just thought it would be nice for the wife to witness it, but it's not a deal breaker.

By link I meant a link to any detailed description of what takes place. Is there a copy of the oath in Thai so I can practice it?

36 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I got a call this afternoon too, for afternoon of 27th. Same instructions / requirements although I told my SB officer that I wasn't sure I could get photos (blue or grey background) given the 'basically shut all businesses' edict that takes effect tomorrow. He said not to worry too much and just to bring whatever I can, even if they're old photos.

I was thinking the same thing about the photos. I need to collect my passport at immigration tomorrow and we will scout around for a photo place. I might have some old ones somewhere. I am glad you thought to ask. See you there!

3 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Thanks. I just thought it would be nice for the wife to witness it, but it's not a deal breaker.

By link I meant a link to any detailed description of what takes place. Is there a copy of the oath in Thai so I can practice it?

The officer asks you to wai the king then tells you to repeat after him while facing the kings photo. 

47 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I couldn't find it. Just repeat words after the SB officer. There were some long words I didn't know and just mumbled them, no biggie. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I couldn't find it. Just repeat words after the SB officer. There were some long words I didn't know and just mumbled them, no biggie. 

I mumbled it but was made to repeat some because the officer didn't feel I had articulated it clearly enough.  I think I asked him to read it out a bit slower because he was gabbling it too fast for me to follow. I tried to get the text beforehand to practice but they wouldn't send it, as they said it was very easy and nothing to worry about. They give you a choice of 3 different oaths: Buddhist, Christian or Muslim.  Mrs Arkady immediately replied without a moment's hesitation that I wanted the Buddhist one and I accepted that, as it made no difference to me, even though I am not a Buddhist.  I think they are very similar with only a few words changed anyway. No provision is made for people of other religions or atheists and agnostics.  

8 hours ago, Arkady said:

I mumbled it but was made to repeat some because the officer didn't feel I had articulated it clearly enough.  I think I asked him to read it out a bit slower because he was gabbling it too fast for me to follow. I tried to get the text beforehand to practice but they wouldn't send it, as they said it was very easy and nothing to worry about. They give you a choice of 3 different oaths: Buddhist, Christian or Muslim.  Mrs Arkady immediately replied without a moment's hesitation that I wanted the Buddhist one and I accepted that, as it made no difference to me, even though I am not a Buddhist.  I think they are very similar with only a few words changed anyway. No provision is made for people of other religions or atheists and agnostics.  

I'd still love to find a copy of what I said as although I'm not a Buddhist, I'm interested in some of the Pali words. I wish I had recorded it on my phone. 

6 hours ago, Arkady said:

I believe the same officers that i did the oath with are still there. I think they are way more relaxed then when you went through the process. I am not proud to tell you that i mumbled a lot and no one blinked 

i can felt the happiness for you guys who will go for Oath on 27 , Congratulations and very happy for you guys .
As i remembered , first put hand n Bible and then first 2 straight lines was , i will be sincere to King and country, i will not do anything which will harm the monarch, i will not do anything which will harm Thai govt and thennnn i am out of dictation the thai he dictate  its all over my head.
i mumbled alot in third and fourth line , but he said never mind

you can let your wife stand outside the small door behind, let her make your picture for you as its a proud moment for you.
SB will make 3 to 4 pictures from their Mobile Cam/  to send back with your Oath Signature Paper to MOI.

Good luck all Brothers.

Congrats to all who got calls for the oath. Thanks all forum seniors for the suggestions & experience sharing.

For Buddhist oath taking one needs to take พวงมาลัย(flower Garland) & ธูป(joss sticks) และ เทียน (candle);แบบกล่อง(pack type).

Those who are travelling from another province, should start early , have the necessary permission for inter province travel (get an approval letter from the village headman. They have pure printed form in which they fill in the travel details, passport number & also the vehicle registration number) & have a QR code from the following link. Only Thais/ foreigners with pink card are able to get QT code (passport details are not accepted). Also, one needs to fill the online form just on the day of travel as it gives permission for that day only.

https://covid-19.in.th/en

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'd still love to find a copy of what I said as although I'm not a Buddhist, I'm interested in some of the Pali words. I wish I had recorded it on my phone. 

Ditto, although in my case whatever people opting for the Christian version must say. I am not a believer, but opted for that out of habit and since that was the religion I was raised in.

20 hours ago, yankee99 said:

my only advice if you dont live in bkk make sure you move your yellow book is moved back to your home province. 

I was advised by the SB and other to change my yellow book from my non-BKK address to a BKK address so they could handle my case. The latter is what I used throughout this process. I was told to bring a copy of my Bangkok address yellow book to the oath. I plan to change it back once this is finished. Does that sound right?

18 hours ago, Arkady said:

I didn't want to cause any trouble by saying I was atheist so said I was buddhist. Likewise, it didn't really matter to me.

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I didn't want to cause any trouble by saying I was atheist so said I was buddhist. Likewise, it didn't really matter to me.

When was that? Did you have to bring the candle, flower etc, or is that a new rule?

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

I was advised by the SB and other to change my yellow book from my non-BKK address to a BKK address so they could handle my case. The latter is what I used throughout this process. I was told to bring a copy of my Bangkok address yellow book to the oath. I plan to change it back once this is finished. Does that sound right?

If you move your book out of bkk before the oath then you can complete the process where you live. If you go to the oath ceremony with your bkk book you will need to come back to bkk to complete the process. 

My SB officer told me to move it back to Chonburi so i dont need to return to bkk except for my certificate. 

16 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

GerryP said he took the Buddhist oath, that's why I am asking. So that's a yes, is it? Did you also take the Buddhist oath?

Yes, I took the Buddhist oath last July and had to bring a candle and flowers. They can be bought nearby, on the way from Siam square. 

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

When was that? Did you have to bring the candle, flower etc, or is that a new rule?

Five or so years ago. I was asked to bring flowers, but can't remember being asked to bring a candle. 

19 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Five or so years ago. I was asked to bring flowers, but can't remember being asked to bring a candle. 

For Buddhist oath taking, garland+joss sticks & candle are required(Candle for lighting the joss sticks).

14 hours ago, qualtrough said:

don't change your Yellow book until RG.
After Taking oath they will use your yellow Book Address to publish in RG, and 1 letter will be sent to your BKK Yellow Book Amphur, 1 Letter to Registration of your Name in Data base National Identification with Same address..
IF you change your Yellow book to another province as soon after Oath, then get ready for more delay for your ID, because MOI will send Letter to BKK Amphur not the change one.
So i suggest you , if you need smooth process grab your ID first from BKK Amphur  , then change back to your Province.

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I took the Buddhist oath last July and had to bring a candle and flowers. They can be bought nearby, on the way from Siam square. 

Thanks. I guess I should also buy a lighter on the way. ????

11 hours ago, sinthavee said:

For Buddhist oath taking, garland+joss sticks & candle are required(Candle for lighting the joss sticks).

Thanks. It was too to hear from Neeranam that they can be bought nearby. 

2 hours ago, david143 said:

don't change your Yellow book until RG.
After Taking oath they will use your yellow Book Address to publish in RG, and 1 letter will be sent to your BKK Yellow Book Amphur, 1 Letter to Registration of your Name in Data base National Identification with Same address..
IF you change your Yellow book to another province as soon after Oath, then get ready for more delay for your ID, because MOI will send Letter to BKK Amphur not the change one.
So i suggest you , if you need smooth process grab your ID first from BKK Amphur  , then change back to your Province.

I was going to change my yellow to where I actually live but never did as I was scared of issues/delays. At the end of the day, I had to make just one extra trip to Bangkok. 8 trips in total.

Archived