Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

The most important thing is the tax receipts for 3 years, which you will obviously need a WP. I had to wait a few years until my job gave me an increase to 40k baht/month. I then applied with only 3 years of tax receipts and had no problems. 

I only had the three years of tax receipts too.  I had been in country a while and already had PR but wasn't working for several years. Then I went back to work and applied the moment I had accumulated three calendar years' of tax receipts and continuous WP. I also changed jobs in the course of the third year.  None of this was mentioned as an issue and SB never asked what I had been doing in the period before the three year qualifying period. I was asked to explain what I had been doing since I had arrived in Thailand at the MoI interview but that was just to introduce myself and no detail was required. I think SB asked for copies of all passports I had had since I arrived in Thailand but they didn't ask about WPs, salary or tax in the prior period.

The rule of thumb as I see it is that SB is not there to catch you out or to impose higher standards than dictated by the guidelines.  There are there to tick the boxes in accordance with the Nationality Act and minsterial regulations and guidelines and there is only pass or fail. There are no good passes or super desirable applicants as many would have you believe.  In applying for PR Immigration seems to be exactly the opposite and seem to be always looking for nasty ways to impose higher standards than required and generally make life miserable for PR applicants.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, Neeranam said:

I think there is a good chance that they will check your place if work to make sure what you say is the truth. 

On 7/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, Arkady said:

One thing to avoid is being a shareholder in the company. You have to submit the shareholders' list with the company documents and, if your name is on it with only one share, you will have to also submit the company's notarised tax records which will not be very impressive, if the bar is closed.  Having no profit is also likely to be a problem in renewing work permits, unless you are able to put some income through the company.

Well if the visit happened now they would be seeing an abandoned bar with a ton of dust. There has been zero activity there for over a year and unlikely to reopen anytime soon. 

I haven't been getting a salary but the WP got renewed and my taxes are being paid.

14 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

Well if the visit happened now they would be seeing an abandoned bar with a ton of dust. There has been zero activity there for over a year and unlikely to reopen anytime soon. 

I haven't been getting a salary but the WP got renewed and my taxes are being paid.

I didnt need a physical salary slip but my tax returns needed the minimum amount and had to be certified 

7 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I didnt need a physical salary slip but my tax returns needed the minimum amount and had to be certified 

That's right. They only verify salary from your salary letter and certified tax receipts.  They don't look at pay slips or check the money coming into your account like the nasty farang embassies do with Thais applying for visas or Thai banks do when applying for credit cards. 

I wouldn't say it is absolutely not worth FarangFB applying, if he has the time and inclination and accepts that his case is not without certain weak points to be overcome. If he has all the required documents, it is not a fraud but they are entitled to reject, if they don't like something because it is legally up to the minister's discretion.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, Arkady said:

That's right. They only verify salary from your salary letter and certified tax receipts.  They don't look at pay slips or check the money coming into your account like the nasty farang embassies do with Thais applying for visas or Thai banks do when applying for credit cards. 

I wouldn't say it is absolutely not worth FarangFB applying, if he has the time and inclination and accepts that his case is not without certain weak points to be overcome. If he has all the required documents, it is not a fraud but they are entitled to reject, if they don't like something because it is legally up to the minister's discretion.

If I start my job in August, would the tax submitted for that year count? Or does it have to meet a minimum for applying via Thai spouse?

19 minutes ago, themike1080 said:

If I start my job in August, would the tax submitted for that year count? Or does it have to meet a minimum for applying via Thai spouse?

It counts if your salary meets the minimum requirements. I think you need to show ฿480,000 for 2021

Good morning,

Good news for  all members who passed Sep 2020 final interview. SB has started calling for oath. I got a call today morning & my appointment is on 27th July morning.

Qualtrough & BkkBike09 brother, please check with your SB officer, if you haven’t got appointment yet.

Thanks to all senior members who shared their valuable experience in this forum to the new members.

I wish David143 & all other members waiting for their RG publication, will get the same soonest, hopefully within this month.

4 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Good morning,

Good news for  all members who passed Sep 2020 final interview. SB has started calling for oath. I got a call today morning & my appointment is on 27th July morning.

Qualtrough & BkkBike09 brother, please check with your SB officer, if you haven’t got appointment yet.

Thanks to all senior members who shared their valuable experience in this forum to the new members.

I wish David143 & all other members waiting for their RG publication, will get the same soonest, hopefully within this month.

Congratulations! 

4 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Good morning,

lovely and good luck so nice to heard these types of news in Pandemic felt so good

On 7/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, themike1080 said:

You need three years' of tax receipts.  I am not sure if it would count in the sense you mean. So if you apply in September after working for exactly three full years, you would technicallly be qualified but your tax receipt for the first year would only be for five months and you would not be able to get a certified tax receipt Jan-Aug in the year you applied to make three full years of tax receipts. This is the sort of question that can only be answered with any degree of certainty by SB.  I think it more likely that they would say they want three full years.  However, they look most closely at the last year's tax receipt and compare it with your salary letter to check they are consistent, which according to their logic means that the monthly salary in the letter should be exactly 1/12th of the income you paid tax on the year before.  (I had to get my letter redone as my salary had changed.)  So I think it would worth a try. 

If you go to see them in Bangkok, take all your documents with you and note the name and line ID of the officer you talk to, as they like to handle the applications when enquiries are converted to applications. If you ready to apply, you just contact that officer (unless you really didn't like them) to ask if they are still working there and if it is OK to come to start your application.  I didn't understand this system and just plonked myself down in front of the first desk I came to when I was ready to apply.  This caused problems because the officer I had talked to two years earlier remembered me and was upset that I didn't go to him  I didn't imagine they would remember people like that.  Luckily I got to deal with him for a while later when my officer was transferred to Immigration for a stint and we became friends.

6 hours ago, Arkady said:

You need three years' of tax receipts.  I am not sure if it would count in the sense you mean. So if you apply in September after working for exactly three full years, you would technicallly be qualified but your tax receipt for the first year would only be for five months and you would not be able to get a certified tax receipt Jan-Aug in the year you applied to make three full years of tax receipts. This is the sort of question that can only be answered with any degree of certainty by SB.  I think it more likely that they would say they want three full years.  However, they look most closely at the last year's tax receipt and compare it with your salary letter to check they are consistent, which according to their logic means that the monthly salary in the letter should be exactly 1/12th of the income you paid tax on the year before.  (I had to get my letter redone as my salary had changed.)  So I think it would worth a try. 

If you go to see them in Bangkok, take all your documents with you and note the name and line ID of the officer you talk to, as they like to handle the applications when enquiries are converted to applications. If you ready to apply, you just contact that officer (unless you really didn't like them) to ask if they are still working there and if it is OK to come to start your application.  I didn't understand this system and just plonked myself down in front of the first desk I came to when I was ready to apply.  This caused problems because the officer I had talked to two years earlier remembered me and was upset that I didn't go to him  I didn't imagine they would remember people like that.  Luckily I got to deal with him for a while later when my officer was transferred to Immigration for a stint and we became friends.

Yes, the letter from the company was interesting as they stated my latest salary. I had to get them to redo it and factor in my bonus and salary adjustment. This was because the salary in the letter multiplied by twelve did not correspond to my total earnings and the amount on which I paid tax. Explaining did not help much so I just got a new letter which divided my total income by 12 and stated this as my salary.

21 hours ago, sinthavee said:

Good morning,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get in touch with SB and see what they have to say.

22 hours ago, sinthavee said:

Good morning,

Congrats! Great news that some gov't sectors are still working. Now if they'd only get those RG out as well...

2 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

Congrats! Great news that some gov't sectors are still working. Now if they'd only get those RG out as well...

i was very happy yesterday after seeing this News, that we still have chance next month for RG

Just now, heiri007 said:

What points to August? Could it be this month still?

Special RG for Men always in August
Actually if you see original time Frame , its FEB - APR - Then AUG - Then NOV

On 7/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, sinthavee said:

Good morning,

Thanks! I am going to Line him right now and will report back. Keeping my fingers crossed!

On 7/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, sinthavee said:

Good morning,

Great to see they are still working! Congrats. 

Yes! I just got a call from my SB officer about the oath. July 27th at the SB office in BKK. I was in the Sept MOI interview group.

He said to:

1. Bring a bible, or they have one on hand (asked me my religion)

2. Copy of house registration with my name on it.

3. Copy of first page of passport

4 Four 2in. x 2.5in blue background photos

Dress nicely.

Because of Covid nobody else will be there with me. Wife will have to wait outside.

Anything else I should bring/know? If anyone has a link to the process I would appreciate your sharing it.

19 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Yes! I just got a call from my SB officer about the oath. July 27th at the SB office in BKK. I was in the Sept MOI interview group.

He said to:

Dress nicely.

Because of Covid nobody else will be there with me. Wife will have to wait outside.

Anything else I should bring/know? If anyone has a link to the process I would appreciate your sharing it.

Congratulations Qualtrough Brother. I too will be there that morning.

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

He said to:

Dress nicely.

Congrats, you're nearly there! 

Your wife doesn't need to go, I went myself. Best to wear a tie. 

Not sure what link you mean. 

I was told to bring flowers and a candle but I am pretty sure this is only for the Buddhist oath. Relax, it's not serious. 

Archived