Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, kst said:

Wow, nice piece of news to go with coffee this morning. 

Jan'20 MOI / Aug'20 Oath batch here so apparently Nov-Dec'19 & Jan-Feb'20 MOI batch in this latest RG? 

Congrats to all on this latest list, and to all still in the process, I'm sure your time will come soon. 

My timeline as follow:-

Applied June'18

NSB Interview July'18

MOI Jan'20

Oath Aug'20

RG Aug'21

To those still in midst of process

Your in RG name please ?

6 hours ago, sinthavee said:

Hi All,

Exciting news. 70 more people got Thai citizenship today. Published in RG today. This must be the April 2021 batch. This was signed by the Interior Minister on 8th July,2021.

Congrats to each one.

File attached.6CE61C40-9AD5-451C-9C97-1C1A1912850C.thumb.jpeg.113aca988f7568ce09d09e7f2ceef41f.jpeg

T_0016.PDF 91.17 kB · 4 downloads

Holy cow, ma name's on it, I made it! Was in the April oath batch indeed - kudos to the relevant authorities for speedy work during this crisis!

Thanks for sharing @sinthavee guess I have reason to celebrate a bit.

8 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Congrats to david143, yankee99 and kst! (+ all others who got it this round). Within a month you should have in hands that blue shiny ID that will make your life in Thailand much easier and more enjoyable. I'm happy for you guys.

Thank you brother , box of RG is now open Total : 112 People in 2 days

Congratulations to you all.  It would seem that there are now quite a few of us who are active on this thread who have successfully obtained Thai citizenship.  I will forever be grateful for the advice/suggestions posted on this thread over the years, and the direct messages exchanged with some of the members (they know who they are).  

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Congratulations to you all.  It would seem that there are now quite a few of us who are active on this thread who have successfully obtained Thai citizenship.  I will forever be grateful for the advice/suggestions posted on this thread over the years, and the direct messages exchanged with some of the members (they know who they are).  

anytime.

I am not going anywhere to Keep this 14 year old Thread alive.

5 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Holy cow, ma name's on it, I made it! Was in the April oath batch indeed - kudos to the relevant authorities for speedy work during this crisis!

Just out of interest...

Can you give me a guideline to how long it took for you from start to finish?

RAZZ

Just now, RAZZELL said:

Just out of interest...

RAZZ

UNTIL Yesterday RG

it tooks me 3 years, 4 months, 13 days
will Add up another 1 month for Certificate and ID , and Passport

9 minutes ago, david143 said:

UNTIL Yesterday RG

it tooks me 3 years, 4 months, 13 days
will Add up another 1 month for Certificate and ID , and Passport

Is this after applying?

And three years before that to fulfil the requirements?

RAZZ

Just now, RAZZELL said:

Is this after applying?

And three years before that to fulfil the requirements?

RAZZ

yes After applying .
Before that i have WP for 11 Years, NON O Family Visa.
Paid Taxes for 11 years,
You can check the checklist it might help you easily

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 20.31.00.jpeg

10 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Just out of interest...

RAZZ

It takes a few years, but the process seems more streamlined now than in the past. I got PR and Thai wife and family, so there is not much they could to to refuse me ???? still, lots of patience is needed and for me being averse to bureaucracy and mountains of paperwork, this seems something.

27 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

It takes a few years, but the process seems more streamlined now than in the past. I got PR and Thai wife and family, so there is not much they could to to refuse me ???? still, lots of patience is needed and for me being averse to bureaucracy and mountains of paperwork, this seems something.

Let me say the paperwork is really not terrible i probably spent less than 7 days (not full days) getting it together including trips to the embassy and amphur. Once you get through SB and NIA which are not a huge deal its just a waiting game.  Anyone that has a wife and 3 years tax returns should apply if they want citizenship. 

6 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Congratulations! 

it's such a great feeling, especially when you get the ID card in a month or so.

10 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Let me say the paperwork is really not terrible i probably spent less than 7 days (not full days) getting it together including trips to the embassy and amphur. Once you get through SB and NIA which are not a huge deal its just a waiting game.  Anyone that has a wife and 3 years tax returns should apply if they want citizenship. 

Big congratulations to all of you on this most recent batch.  Just this last week I travelled on my new Thai passport.  Since I applied for an ABTC card, I even went through the diplomatic/VIP security.  What a great experience to go through immigration as a Thai!

I agree, the paperwork is not much more difficult than the annual visa renewal.  The difficult part is making sure you have all the boxes checked.  If you are married and employed then you should start the process right now, because it is just a waiting game.  I have a few friends that were paying millions of baht in Taxes each year for decades, but they didn't apply for citizenship when they had all the boxes ticked.  Now that they are retired, they are no longer eligible and have to restart Non O visa and set up their own company to have a WP just to jump through the hoops to apply now.  See if you qualify, and if you do, don't hesitate, life is so much easier (assuming you are from a country that doesn't require you to renounce your original nationality). 

10 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Big congratulations to all of you on this most recent batch.  Just this last week I travelled on my new Thai passport.  Since I applied for an ABTC card, I even went through the diplomatic/VIP security.  What a great experience to go through immigration as a Thai!

I agree, the paperwork is not much more difficult than the annual visa renewal.  The difficult part is making sure you have all the boxes checked.  If you are married and employed then you should start the process right now, because it is just a waiting game.  I have a few friends that were paying millions of baht in Taxes each year for decades, but they didn't apply for citizenship when they had all the boxes ticked.  Now that they are retired, they are no longer eligible and have to restart Non O visa and set up their own company to have a WP just to jump through the hoops to apply now.  See if you qualify, and if you do, don't hesitate, life is so much easier (assuming you are from a country that doesn't require you to renounce your original nationality). 

Thanks alot Brother

22 hours ago, heiri007 said:

It takes a few years, but the process seems more streamlined now than in the past.

I got my Thai citizenship back in January 2016. It took about 6 1/2 years from SB until RG.

Congratulations to all new Thai citizens.

1 minute ago, aidenai said:

I got my Thai citizenship back in January 2016. It took about 6 1/2 years from SB until RG.

Congratulations to all new Thai citizens.

wow
So we are lucky that we reached to RG in 3 years and 4 months lets add up another 1 month for ID card Certificate Passport Process.

36 minutes ago, david143 said:

wow
So we are lucky that we reached to RG in 3 years and 4 months lets add up another 1 month for ID card Certificate Passport Process.

Exactly 3 years for me, from SB to ID card. 

Dec 2017 to Dec 2020.

6 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Can people explain the differences in requirements for PR?

I'm a few years from applying for either but will be good to know for the future.

RAZZ

PR gives you (after the first year) five-year stays. To leave Thailand you'll need re-entry permits, which are valid for one year max. Meaning you cannot stay abroad for longer or your PR will expire.

But you still have to apply for Work Permit and enjoy few benefits. Heard that it's easier to get a mortgage or get credit, but who knows.

Also, getting PR these days seems more difficult than citizenship, but you have to check on this. I was told the big PR committee meets once a year only and then decides on all pending cases, meaning no cases are moving ahead.

Since getting the Thai ID has been streamlined kind of, I'd immediately head for citizenship procedures.

13 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

PR gives you (after the first year) five-year stays. To leave Thailand you'll need re-entry permits, which are valid for one year max. Meaning you cannot stay abroad for longer or your PR will expire.

But you still have to apply for Work Permit and enjoy few benefits. Heard that it's easier to get a mortgage or get credit, but who knows.

Also, getting PR these days seems more difficult than citizenship, but you have to check on this. I was told the big PR committee meets once a year only and then decides on all pending cases, meaning no cases are moving ahead.

Since getting the Thai ID has been streamlined kind of, I'd immediately head for citizenship procedures.

And you made it brother .
Stay Safe

1 hour ago, heiri007 said:

I have PR and can stay as long as I want. ???? Yes, you have to renew the red book every five years, but if you miss that, you pay a fine of THB 400, that's all (been there, done that). 

The pains are the re-entry permit (called Non-Quota Immigrant Visa) and the work permit. 

Archived