Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2021 at 7:13 PM, sinthavee said:

Yesterday I had shared a VDO of oath taking from “Youtube”. I think all those who will be taking oath this week will have similar wording accept any small changes for Christian oath & also the Nationality approval clause could be different for different persons(married to a thai national/based on PR etc).

Thai transcription (Thanks to my Thai friend) of the VDO is given below for all those who are interested.Oath portion is given within the quotation marks.. You may highlight it & use “ speak” capability of smart phone to listen & practice. If you want to understand the meaning in English, use Google translation.

All the best.

Neeraman brother, 

You might be interested in this transcript.

ข้าพระพุทธเจ้า ราษฎรที่ได้อนุมัติสัญชาติไทย ตามมาตรา 7 ทวิ วรรค 2 ขอให้คำปฏิญาณตนว่า " ข้าพเจ้า จะจงรักภักดี ต่อชาติ ศาสนา และ พระมหากษัตริย์ จะอุทิศตน และเสียสละชีวิต เพื่อปกป้องอธิปไตยของชาติไทย มีความเคารพ และ ปฏิบัติตามหลักกฎหมายและนโยบายของรัฐบาลไทย จะประกอบอาชีพโดยสุจริต ช่วยเหลือแบ่งปันแก่เพื่อนมนุษย์ จะดำรงตนตามหลักครรลองครองธรรม และยึดหลักการดำเนินชีวิตอย่างพอเพียง จะไม่ยุ่งเกี่ยวกับยาเสพติด และสิ่งผิดกฎหมาย ทุกอย่างโดยเด็ดขาด จะช่วยเหลืองานราชการ ช่วยเหลือสังคมและชุมชน เต็มกำลังความสามารถ จะประพฤติตนเป็นคนดีตามหลักคำสอนศาสนา และตามแนวทางพระบรมราโชวาทตลอดไป"

The Christian version of the oath for those married to a Thai is along these lines but I thought a bit shorter. I wouldn't obsess about trying to learn the oath because if what you have to say is not exactly what you've learnt, then it could be more confusing than just repeating what the officer says. The language is not complicated and the format is he says no more than literally a word or two and then you repeat them eg "I, xxxx" ... "do swear" ... "in front of these" ... "sacred items".... "that I" ... "will be" ... etc etc.

I was in and out yesterday in 10 minutes. One of the SB guys kindly took some photos afterwards. When I said "I'm actually smiling but you can't see because I'm wearing a mask" he said it was okay to take the mask off briefly, which of course I did.

I also didn't have any photos of the right size and didn't have the energy to traipse around in a suit and tie looking for a place that was open. It didn't seem to be a problem and my SB guy just said to try and get some ASAP because they have to stick a photo on the oath declaration that you sign, before they send it back to MOI. The photo has to be 2x2.5 inches in a suit and tie and with dark blue or grey background. Incidentally I didn't actually 'sign' the declaration - I was asked to just write my name in Thai. That's easy for me to do but may be worth practising for anyone who's not very confident. I don't know if a signature is acceptable if you can't write your name in Thai. Luckily my name is simple in Thai - akin to Billy Bud, rather than say Arkadiusz Szczepanski.

Time-wise SB told me from oath to RG should be "a couple of months" but then agreed that, with Covid,  it could be longer.

On, on!

16 hours ago, sinthavee said:

What could be the real reason for the unusually long delay of RG publication. Probably, too many items to be published are in RG in queue, due to Covid. If we see the RG now a days, too many cases of “ประกาศเจาพนักงานพิทักษทรัพย” (Announcement of the property protection officer) published are seen. Today’s RG has 175 numbers of such announcements.

However, inserting one or two notifications on new Thai citizen approvals should not be difficult.

It is difficult to understand how Covid might be delaying RG publication.

Hope, both the batch long awaited RG publications come out at the earliest.

They managed to publish the women's nationalities. Problem with the RG unlike SB and moi theres really no one to inquire with.

19 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

<snip>

I also didn't have any photos of the right size and didn't have the energy to traipse around in a suit and tie looking for a place that was open. It didn't seem to be a problem and my SB guy just said to try and get some ASAP because they have to stick a photo on the oath declaration that you sign, before they send it back to MOI. The photo has to be 2x2.5 inches in a suit and tie and with dark blue or grey background.

<Snip.>

Time-wise SB told me from oath to RG should be "a couple of months" but then agreed that, with Covid,  it could be longer.

On, on!

Congrats, but you better get those photos done! I’m pretty sure one of those photos will be on your actual naturalization certificate. 

The clock on your RG date won’t start ticking until photos are submitted! Pretty sure “couple of months” is their standard statement although no one has gotten published in under 4 months for a very lng time, right?

Good Luck all!

11 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Congrats, but you better get those photos done! I’m pretty sure one of those photos will be on your actual naturalization certificate. 

The clock on your RG date won’t start ticking until photos are submitted! Pretty sure “couple of months” is their standard statement although no one has gotten published in under 4 months for a very lng time, right?

Good Luck all!

latest RG Male was on 17 November 2020

till now we are waiting for RG

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Good Luck all!

Thanks. Photos are a top priority but, as I explained to SB, all the photo places I know were/are shut and Monday / today being public holidays doesn't help. I'll find somewhere tomorrow or Friday. I'm not stuck in a job I hate (I own the company) so a little extra time here or there really doesn't bother me.

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Thanks. Photos are a top priority but, as I explained to SB, all the photo places I know were/are shut and Monday / today being public holidays doesn't help. I'll find somewhere tomorrow or Friday. I'm not stuck in a job I hate (I own the company) so a little extra time here or there really doesn't bother me.

I had the same photo issue. I took a taxi down to Siam Square and found a photo place that was open (Called Digital Photo). I then returned with the photos. I didn't want to take any chance the missing photos would delay by application. Even by one day ????

On 7/28/2021 at 11:54 AM, BKKBike09 said:

The language is not complicated and the format is he says no more than literally a word or two and then you repeat them eg "I, xxxx" ... "do swear" ... "in front of these" ... "sacred items".... "that I" ... "will be" ... etc etc.

One word I do remember in the Buddhist oath is the word for "sacred(holy) things""sing sak sid" สิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:32 PM, qualtrough said:

I didn't see anyone take any photo or VDO of me doing the oath.

One of the officers will have taken a photo to send to the MOI.

If you want a photo, LINE the officer and ask. 

Very interesting topic, I've literally read through the whole thing and still have questions ????

Can anyone who has been through the process, or who knows, advise if citizenship is a questions of 1 + 1 = 2, or is there a lot of discretion?

Currently I get 25 points for salary (70k married), 5 for age and will need to get my Thai language up to maximum 15 points and by able to answer the questions about Thailand to at least 5 points to scrape the 50 required.

I don't have a huge amount of money, basic house in company (genuine company for 5 years) a car and that's about it. Now I will be able to apply in just over 2 years (have made the error over the past 8 years of trusting other companies to my future, having been let go twice, (nice severance pay ???? though) from different companies leading to a start again for the work permit, I now use my own company.

When it comes to donations, how do I prove this?

So my main question, being of limited but comfortable means, will I have a chance at citizenship and therefore is it worth me putting in the hours to get to fluency in Thai, I find it very, very hard so would be a substantial commitment, that being said I find the letters and writing to be easy.

I despise (wish there as a stronger word to use) my country of the UK (hate PC, woke, cancel culture etc) and really want to be able to renounce my British citizenship so I no longer have to feel connected to the absurdity of it all, so I need to know if I will get Thai citizenship by dotting the i's and crossing the t's or should I move somewhere where the process is more black and white. At 35 now, been in Thailand since 18, had the dream of citizenship since then but just sort of coasted along, I'm still British though and hate what the country has become and now realise I need to act fast if Thai citizenship is not a realistic guarantee.

Thanks all!

5 minutes ago, Boarn said:

Very interesting topic, I've literally read through the whole thing and still have questions ????

Can anyone who has been through the process, or who knows, advise if citizenship is a questions of 1 + 1 = 2, or is there a lot of discretion?

Currently I get 25 points for salary (70k married), 5 for age and will need to get my Thai language up to maximum 15 points and by able to answer the questions about Thailand to at least 5 points to scrape the 50 required.

I don't have a huge amount of money, basic house in company (genuine company for 5 years) a car and that's about it. Now I will be able to apply in just over 2 years (have made the error over the past 8 years of trusting other companies to my future, having been let go twice, (nice severance pay ???? though) from different companies leading to a start again for the work permit, I now use my own company.

So my main question, being of limited but comfortable means, will I have a chance at citizenship and therefore is it worth me putting in the hours to get to fluency in Thai, I find it very, very hard so would be a substantial commitment, that being said I find the letters and writing to be easy.

I despise (wish there as a stronger word to use) my country of the UK (hate PC, woke, cancel culture etc) and really want to be able to renounce my British citizenship so I no longer have to feel connected to the absurdity of it all, so I need to know if I will get Thai citizenship by dotting the i's and crossing the t's or should I move somewhere where the process is more black and white. At 35 now, been in Thailand since 18, had the dream of citizenship since then but just sort of coasted along, I'm still British though and hate what the country has become and now realise I need to act fast if Thai citizenship is not a realistic guarantee.

Thanks all!

Pay to any Govt Agency i.e Thai RED Cross , keep the receipts  5000THB
WP TAX 3 years,
You are already married to Thai it will hmm, i must say not faster but relief from many other docs.
i think if you can grab the 50 you are already in good score to apply citizenship.

4 minutes ago, david143 said:

WP TAX 3 years,
You are already married to Thai it will hmm, i must say not faster but relief from many other docs.
i think if you can grab the 50 you are already in good score to apply citizenship.

Thanks, I think I can get to Thai fluency in 2 years but would be soul destroying if I didn't get citizenship. It seems its a gamble and I don't know if I should take the risk or simply move somewhere else where citizenship is easier.

5 minutes ago, david143 said:

WP TAX 3 years,

few month back my friend applied and this is the checklist from SB office .
Others can keep it too if they like it.
his documents are already forward to MOI in April 2021

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 20.31.00.jpeg

2 minutes ago, david143 said:

few month back my friend applied and this is the checklist from SB office .
Others can keep it too if they like it.
his documents are already forward to MOI in April 2021

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 20.31.00.jpeg

Thanks thats helpful!

Just now, Boarn said:

Thanks, I think I can get to Thai fluency in 2 years but would be soul destroying if I didn't get citizenship. It seems its a gamble and I don't know if I should take the risk or simply move somewhere else where citizenship is easier.

no brother don't get serious on Thai , yes it is necessary and good but i have seen people who even can't speak a word @ moi interview and wife translate for them and they already took OATH in April 2021 as well.
yes basic Thai you should know, hello my name is -------- i am --- years old , i m working in my own business blah blah,
at least you should not see your wife face and 2 years very long, just basic Thai will help you -you should know that if MOI ask you คุณทำงานอะไร what kind of work you doing , you should know the answer what is the nature of your work. 

1 minute ago, david143 said:

no brother don't get serious on Thai , yes it is necessary and good but i have seen people who even can't speak a word @ moi interview and wife translate for them and they already took OATH in April 2021 as well.
yes basic Thai you should know, hello my name is -------- i am --- years old , i m working in my own business blah blah,
at least you should not see your wife face and 2 years very long, just basic Thai will help you -you should know that if MOI ask you คุณทำงานอะไร what kind of work you doing , you should know the answer what is the nature of your work. 

Thanks, yes but without getting the Thai to fluency I won't have enough points to qualify. I can only get 25 for salary and 5 for age. Need to get 20 for somewhere!

2 minutes ago, Boarn said:

Thanks, yes but without getting the Thai to fluency I won't have enough points to qualify. I can only get 25 for salary and 5 for age. Need to get 20 for somewhere!

You Still have points for Education.
Sing National Anthem / Sanseon Phrabarami.
while submitting Doc i was less then 35 , SB officer said i will tick for you Anthem and Phra barami. and truly i learned it before my MOI interview,
@ moi interview they asked me can you sing anthem , i said YES i can sing , can i show you , Hua NA said NO no no , its okay. @ MOI interview its only stand for 4 to 5 mint so you can go with this plan brother, but make sure you can sing Anthem not fluent but rhythm sing slowly sing clear.

these 2 Cords will get you 50.

42 minutes ago, Boarn said:

There is an amount of points (10, I think) that is at discretion of SB, awarded for intangibles like general demeanour etc etc.

The fact that you've been living here for 17 years, legitimately, married, and now wish to apply for citizenship would likely count in your favour - because it makes clear you're not someone who moved here from Country X specifically with intention to get Thai nationality (because it's somehow preferable to what you hold at the moment) and have applied the moment you're eligible. 

As for despising the country of your birth because you hate PC, woke, cancel culture ... I think you'll find that UK doesn't have a monopoly on those issues. If you don't want to be a national of a country where those issues are mainstream, you might find the list of alternatives neither long nor attractive. 

AGE AND EDUCATION

Age Points
20 to 30 2 points
30 to 40 5 points
40 to 50 10 points
50 to 60 8 points
Over 60 5 points

Education qualification

Level Points
Up to Mor 6 or vocational training 3 points
Diploma 5 points
Bachelors Degree or equivalent 8 points
Masters Degree to equivalent 10 points
Doctorate level 15 points

SECURITY OF PROFESSION

This is done via an assessment of income, and can take two forms.

• Assessments based on verifiable income in the year of application; and
  • Assessments based on verifiable tax payments from the tax year immediately prior applying

Readers should note that the thresholds for verifiable income in the year of application are more generous, and should aim to apply using that measure.

Verified monthly income in the year of application

a) Income for general applicants who do not have other ties to Thailand (as outlined below)

Income (baht per month) Points
80,000 to 90,000 15 points
90,001 to 100,000 20 points
100,001 and above 25 points

b) Income for applicants who are designated ethnic minorities*:

40,000 to 50,000 15 points
50,001 to 60,000 20 points
60,001 and above 25 points

c) Income for applicants who are designated ethnic minorities* and who have held an Alien ID Card for at least 10 years:

20,000 to 30,000 15 points
30,001 to 40,000 20 points
40,001 and above 25 points

d) Income for applicants married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from secondary educational institution in Thailand:

40,000 to 50,000 15 points
50,001 to 60,000 20 points
60,001 and above 25 points

e) Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities* married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:

20,000 to 30,000 15 points
30,001 to 40,000 20 points
Over 40,001 25 points

Alternatively, Special Branch are able to allocate points based on verified taxable income based on the based on tax returns made in the year immediately before the submission of your citizenship applications. These thresholds are higher than those outlined above, which are based on your current income in the year of application.

We’ve put it in here as it is part of the formal information sheet given by Special Branch. The use of these thresholds may suit some people.

1 minute ago, BKKBike09 said:

There is an amount of points (10, I think) that is at discretion of SB, awarded for intangibles like general demeanour etc etc.

The fact that you've been living here for 17 years, legitimately, married, and now wish to apply for citizenship would likely count in your favour - because it makes clear you're not someone who moved here from Country X specifically with intention to get Thai nationality (because it's somehow preferable to what you hold at the moment) and have applied the moment you're eligible. 

As for despising the country of your birth because you hate PC, woke, cancel culture ... I think you'll find that UK doesn't have a monopoly on those issues. If you don't want to be a national of a country where those issues are mainstream, you might find the list of alternatives neither long nor attractive. 

Thanks, I hope the time here will count in my favor.

Yes, countries I'm interested in excludes Europe, The US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. Thai would be preferable but I would hate to commit and then not get it. I've got to the point now where I want to completely disassociate myself with the UK, now if we could go back in time 130 years.......

1 hour ago, Boarn said:

You don't need fluency in Thai language if you are married to a Thai. 

It's only 5,000 baht to apply. 

it's not really a gamble, if you get the 50 points, go ahead and apply, don't believe all the rumours that it's impossible. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need fluency in Thai language if you are married to a Thai. 

It's only 5,000 baht to apply. 

it's not really a gamble, if you get the 50 points, go ahead and apply, don't believe all the rumours that it's impossible. 

Thanks, Im currently at 30 points, need to find 20 from somewhere ???? No degree, left school at 16 to travel! Only been in yellow book for about 8 months.

1 hour ago, Boarn said:

Thanks, Im currently at 30 points, need to find 20 from somewhere ???? No degree, left school at 16 to travel! Only been in yellow book for about 8 months.

Thai Citizenship - Points Allocation (minimum 50/100 required for further consideration) 2010

AGE AND EDUCATION
30 to 40 – 5 points
40 to 50 – 10 points
50 to 60 – 8 points
Over 60 – 5 points

Education:
Mor 6 and above – 3 points
Diploma – 5 points
Bachelors Degree – 8 points
Masters Degree – 10 points
Doctrate – 15 points

SECURITY OF PROFESSION
Income (monthly):
80,000 to 90,000 – 15 points
90,000 to 100,000 – 20 points
Over 100,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities
40,000 to 50,000 – 15 points
50,000 to 60,000 – 20 points
Over 60,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities holding an Alien ID Card for 10 years or more:
20,000 to 30,000 – 15 points
30,000 to 40,000 – 20 points
Over 40,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
40,000 to 50,000 – 15 points
50,000 to 60,000 – 20 points
Over 60,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) in the case of ethnic minorities married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
20,000 to 30,000 – 15 points
30,000 to 40,000 – 20 points
Over 40,000 – 25 points

Income (monthly) on which tax paid:
80,000 to 100,000 – 15 points
100,000 to 120,000 – 20 points
Over 120,000 – 25 points
OR
Income (monthly) on which tax paid in the case of those married to a Thai national, or having Thai children, or having graduated from high school in Thailand:
40,000 to 60,000 – 15 points
60,000 to 80,000 – 20 points
Over 80,000 – 25 points

RESIDENCE IN THAILAND
Domicile:
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years but no Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate – 5 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 5 years – 10 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 7 years – 15 points
Has evidence of civil registration showing domicile in Thailand for at least 5 years and has Certificate of Residence or Alien Registration Certificate for at least 10 years – 20 points

KNOWLEDGE OF THAI LANGUAGE
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai – 8 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai and sing the National and Royal Anthems – 10 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read Thai – 13 points
Able to speak and understand spoken Thai, sing the National and Royal Anthems, and read and write Thai – 15 points

KNOWLEDGE OF THAILAND
Has a medium level knowledge of Thailand
(1-5 correct answers) – 5 points
Has a good knowledge of Thailand
(6-8 correct answers) – 8 points
Has a very good knowledge of Thailand
(9-10 correct answers) -10 points

PERSONALITY
Assessment based on personality, physical appearance and bearing, speech, Thai manners, attitude towards Thailand, Thai culture and ceremonies - 5 points

3 hours ago, Boarn said:

Thanks all!

You didn't say if you have only 5 points for age because you are 20-40 or over 60.  If the former, you can wait till you are over 40 and get 10 points for age.

I think you will have to work on your Thai and try get the full 15 points to be sure.  I got the 15 points and it is not that difficult, if you have an intermediate knowledge of Thai, Advanced is not required.  The reading test for me was just read out a few lines from a memo on the officer's desk and writing was writing out the full name and address of the citizenship section at Special Branch.  The reading and writing tests may have got a bit more sophisiticated as I think I was one of the first to request to do them after they were introduced but the standard would be about the same.  Your spoken Thai will be assessed on you conversations with you case officer over several meetings. You need to learn some specialised vocab to do with applying for citizenship which always comes up in conversation, the language tests and the knowledge of Thailand test. Many of these can be found in the Nationality Act which you should read and understand at least in translation as several questions in the Knowledge of Thailand test will likely be based on it.  So you should be able to spell the Thai words for Nationality Act, minister, discretion, Royal Gazette, oath, MoI, SB etc etc.   This will also help you a lot in the meetings and will probably get you the full 5 points for personality too.  It is hard to imagine that they give full points for personality to anyone who can't communicate properly in Thai.  in any event you will find your life in Thailand far more rewarding and easier with an intermediate knowledge of Thai.

Many people can also get full marks or at least 8 out of 10 in the knowledge of Thailand test with adequate preparation.

Re points for residence.  They seem to chop and change on whether they allocate any points to applicants who have had a yellow book for 5 years or more.  Even though the guidelines say yes, I believe they have recently said that only blue books of people with PR count for this.

You ask if they have any flexibility.  The answer in most cases is no.  It's a tick the box system.  You either qualify or you don't and everyone is terrified of being accused of corruption, if another department finds that someone was allowed through without proper qualifications.  The flip side of that is that people who have the bare minimum of qualifications are allowed through without discrimination.  Even though your points are sent to the MoI with your file, there are no good passes or borderline passes.  There is only pass or fail and, as I have said many times here, things that are not on the list, like having Thai children or not having them, don't make any difference to your application, even though your kids are scrutinised and you get the third degree if you don't have any yet.  You will get through fine without them, as I and many others did.  Having big shots as your referees doesn't making any difference either and won't get you through if you are not fully qualified.  Connections might be able help speed things up for you but they have to be extremely high and they need to work the phones after you have applied to have an impact.  They don't need to be your referees.  Having said it is a tick the box system, they do, of course, have flexibility in how they award the points that are subjective, e.g. personality and how strictly they administer the tests.  If the officer likes you and knows you need the points to qualify, they may be lenient, as long as it will not backfire on them, e.g. giving full marks for Thai language for someone who can hardly speak a word.  Timely little gifts like boxes of those ghastly sticky cakes that Thais love to eat for the whole office will help build up a favorable impression that you are someone who is well assimiliated into Thai society.

Good luck with your journey towards Thai citizenship.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

You didn't say if you have only 5 points for age because you are 20-40 or over 60. 

Hi Arkady, Boarn mentioned he's 35 and as you said, it means in 4+ years he can secure 5 additional points (compared to applying before). 

Thai ID cards can be having different first numbers depending on the criteria given in the table (source:Wikipedia) below. Numbers starting with 8 is for foreigners naturalised as Thai Nationals. 

Category Description
0 (Not found on cards of Thai nationals but may be found in the other issued identity cards below)
1 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 and had their birth notified within the given deadline (15 days).
2 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 but failed to have their birth notified in time.
3 Thai nationals or foreign nationals with identification cards who were born and whose names were included in a house registration book before 1 January 1984
4 Thai nationals who were born before 1 January 1984 but were not included in a house registration book at that time, for example due to moving residences
5 Thai nationals who missed the official census or other special cases, for instance those of dual nationality
6 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand temporarily and illegal migrants
7 Children of people of category 6 who were born in Thailand
8 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand permanently or Thai nationals by naturalization

Archived