Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

2 hours ago, rsskga said:

I'm definitely still here!

The transfer of the condo that my father-in-law owned to my husband has been completed. We'll be going to visit my in-laws this weekend to collect the paperwork and update our Tabien Baans to Bangkok so that I can file my application with Special Branch.

I was a little surprised that I needed to sign some of the documents related to the condo transfer. To be honest, I'm unsure what I signed. I imagine it has something to do with how marital property works in Thailand, but since this was a gift between father and son and I have no investment at stake, I didn't ask too many questions. Perhaps someone here can enlighten me though?

What is the recommended way to package all the documents when submitting the application?

That is a standard spousal consent for purchase of land, house of condo. If the buyer declares he or she is married, the land officer will require spousal consent because property bought after marriage is spousal property not personal property. If the Land Office has a spousal consent signature on purchase, spousal consent will also be required to sell it. This is to try prevent people from taking on purchase (and consequent debt) obligations and from selling spousal property without telling their spouse.  But many people lie to the officer and claim to be unmarried when they buy property.  The Land Office doesn't check the veracity of the statement and the penalty for lying to a government official is not much.

I bought a piece of land from an old lady upcountry once. On the title deed it was specified that it had been transferred to her as an inheritance and spousal consent is not required for inheritances.  So she didn't bother to bring her old man along to sell the land and thought it was nothing to do with him.  The Land Officer told her to bring him along to sign anyway and cautioned me that he could legally make the transfer without the spousal consent but thought exposed me to the risk that the husband could come and dispute the sale later on and try to force a reversal, if the price went up.  So after much discussion a motor bike was despatched to wake up the old boy who was taking a nap.  He appeared looking rather bewildered but signed the form anyway.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Can I ask a question in relation to the list of docs required above?

Item 11 says 'copy of proof of company registration for the commercial establishment where one works'

My wife and I have a small medical business but we decided to not to have company structure. We operate the business through her personal name and she pays taxes every 6 months. I have a WP.  Do you know if this is going to be an issue when I try and apply next year. Should I go to SB next time Im in bkk and ask them. If they say its mandatory then I suppose we can open a company this year but then its going to state the date of incorporation etc. 

If anyone knows about this technicality could you please help me

thanks

I am of the opinion that neither the law, the ministerial regulations nor the guidelines insist you should be employed by a company as long as you have a WP.  However, actual practice might be different and you will need a business registration as per item 11.  I think sole traders can register the business name they trade under with the Revenue Dept in their PNG 91 tax returns and certain types of businesses need to be registered with the district office, such as bars and restaurants.  I don't know if these types of registration count as item 11.  There is also the issue of whether there is any specific change coming up in the new ministerial regulations that are supposed to be announced this year that will also phase SB out from the process altogether.  You will have to ask SB about this.

I suspect that incorporation will be either be necessary or will just make things easier. However, this will not necessary involve waiting for another 3 years.  Most of the scrutiny and documentation is aimed at your current employer but  you are allowed to change jobs and for employment earlier in the 3 year qualifying period they don't need documentation on the employer, just your WP and personal tax receipts.  If you decide to incorporate, it is advisable not to have shares in your own name until you have submitted your application because having shares in your employer means you have to submit the companies audited accounts which is doable but why subject it to unnecessary scrutiny?  Also make sure that there is no gap when getting a new WP under the company but this should be easy to arrange since your missus would your employer in the new and old job.

9 hours ago, qualtrough said:

The activity on this thread seems to me to have really dropped off in recent months, with sometimes a week or more between posts. Am I just imagining that, or are there really many fewer contributions now? Back last year prior to my obtaining citizenship things seemed much busier. If that is the case, anyone have any ideas why that may be the case? Are fewer people interested? Are there more alternative information sources, or?

still here and only comment when it is necessary.

18 hours ago, qualtrough said:

The activity on this thread seems to me to have really dropped off in recent months, with sometimes a week or more between posts. Am I just imagining that, or are there really many fewer contributions now? Back last year prior to my obtaining citizenship things seemed much busier. If that is the case, anyone have any ideas why that may be the case? Are fewer people interested? Are there more alternative information sources, or?

There is a good Facebook group that answers many questions. 

On 2/15/2023 at 8:53 PM, ubonr1971 said:

In the future you should download google translate and click on the camera. Take a photo and you have automatic translations to English. Problem solved

Thank you! I've used the Google Translate website extensively and didn't realize the native app has more advanced capabilities. I installed it today and I've used this feature already to transcribe hardcopy documents into an editable format. 

My husband and I went to Special Branch today. There is a specific office dedicated to women applying through their husbands. We were delighted to meet the very helpful Police Senior Sergeant Major that had advised us by phone briefly last year.

We received the application forms (one for my husband and one for me) that we'll need to fill out as well as the witness forms. I had looked for them online but had never been able to find them.

Some of the answers are pre-filled on my application form. For instance, in response to a question regarding income, property and securities, it is pre-filled to say that my occupation is housewife and I will be financially dependent on my husband. In response to a question regarding membership in any organization, association or club, it is pre-filled that I am not a member of any. And in response to questions about having ever declared bankruptcy, ever received insignias, or ever required criminal punishment it is pre-filled that I never have.

A few takeaways from our experience thus far (subject to change as the process unfolds):

• The senior sergeant major indicated that if my husband had been previously married and divorced they would want records of it, but that he doesn't think there will be any interest in the foreign wife of a Thai man having had a prior marriage and divorce to a non-Thai. Still, I'm prepared with my divorce decree and intend to have a related affidavit notarized at my embassy. I'll likely have an affidavit related to my "intention to denounce" my American citizenship notarized at the same time so I'll be prepared with both and can minimize trips to the Embassy since their online scheduling process is a source of frustration for me.

• The senior sergeant major requested that my husband file a PND 90 for 2022 and get the official tax receipt so that we can include it with our application. My husband claimed 40,000 THB per month in self-employment income for 2021 and we'll do the same for 2022. The senior sergeant major is aware that my husband actually works remotely for an American company, and that we're filing Thai taxes specifically to create the necessary paper trail for my citizenship application. I believe my husband offered to further substantiate/document his income but the officer indicated the tax receipt is all he wants/needs.

• We asked about my ability to travel outside of Thailand during the process (I want to be prepared in case I need to visit my parents urgently). We were advised that I should remain in Bangkok for about 4 months after submitting the application so that I am available for a home visit and other interviews. After that traveling might be ok, and after the first year traveling should be ok.

My husband was very excited after our visit to Special Branch. He feels reassured that they want us to succeed with our application, and that we do have everything in order that we should need for the process.

1 hour ago, rsskga said:

My husband and I went to Special Branch today. There is a specific office dedicated to women applying through their husbands. We were delighted to meet the very helpful Police Senior Sergeant Major that had advised us by phone briefly last year.

We received the application forms (one for my husband and one for me) that we'll need to fill out as well as the witness forms. I had looked for them online but had never been able to find them.

Some of the answers are pre-filled on my application form. For instance, in response to a question regarding income, property and securities, it is pre-filled to say that my occupation is housewife and I will be financially dependent on my husband. In response to a question regarding membership in any organization, association or club, it is pre-filled that I am not a member of any. And in response to questions about having ever declared bankruptcy, ever received insignias, or ever required criminal punishment it is pre-filled that I never have.

A few takeaways from our experience thus far (subject to change as the process unfolds):

• The senior sergeant major indicated that if my husband had been previously married and divorced they would want records of it, but that he doesn't think there will be any interest in the foreign wife of a Thai man having had a prior marriage and divorce to a non-Thai. Still, I'm prepared with my divorce decree and intend to have a related affidavit notarized at my embassy. I'll likely have an affidavit related to my "intention to denounce" my American citizenship notarized at the same time so I'll be prepared with both and can minimize trips to the Embassy since their online scheduling process is a source of frustration for me.

• The senior sergeant major requested that my husband file a PND 90 for 2022 and get the official tax receipt so that we can include it with our application. My husband claimed 40,000 THB per month in self-employment income for 2021 and we'll do the same for 2022. The senior sergeant major is aware that my husband actually works remotely for an American company, and that we're filing Thai taxes specifically to create the necessary paper trail for my citizenship application. I believe my husband offered to further substantiate/document his income but the officer indicated the tax receipt is all he wants/needs.

• We asked about my ability to travel outside of Thailand during the process (I want to be prepared in case I need to visit my parents urgently). We were advised that I should remain in Bangkok for about 4 months after submitting the application so that I am available for a home visit and other interviews. After that traveling might be ok, and after the first year traveling should be ok.

My husband was very excited after our visit to Special Branch. He feels reassured that they want us to succeed with our application, and that we do have everything in order that we should need for the process.

Sounds good. In my experience the SB officers definitely want the applicants to succeed. I had already been though the PR process at Immigration when I applied at SB and it is day and night. The Immigration officers in the PR section are far nicer than their colleagues in the rest of the office but Immigration in general still seem to delight in throwing banana skins in the applicants' paths.  They seem to treat all foreigners as undesirables until proven otherwise, while SB, perhaps because they have no contact with run of the mill foreigners in Thailand, seem to take the opposite stance.  It took me a while to get used to this.

23 hours ago, DrJoy said:

MOI has not conducted any citizenship interviews since Sep 2022.

Definitely things are slow.

The current administration at the MOI is probably gearing up for elections and and may be losing focus on peripheral actvities.  It is also possible that they prefer to avoid doing things to do with citizenship while the current witchhunt goes on for Chinese "triads" with Thai citizenship, even though only one has been found to my knowledge. It has been made a political issue as Pheua Thai has been blaming the current interior minister for signing Tuhao's citizenship application while government points out that his application was actually approved by Yingluck's interior minister on the recommendation of the interior ministry's screening committee which includes represenatives frm other government agencies, while Anuphong merely signed to put the announcement in the RG.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:54 PM, qualtrough said:

I'm still here too, but there's been zero movement in my case since Sept when my paperwork was sent to the Palace. I was originally told I should be prepared in Ian for the swearing in, but my paperwork still hasn't been signed by HRM. SB has not had any feedback and no idea when it will be signed

On 2/15/2023 at 6:54 PM, qualtrough said:

I'm still here too, but there's been zero movement in my case since Sept when my paperwork was sent to the Palace. I was originally told I should be prepared in Ian for the swearing in, but my paperwork still hasn't been signed by HRM. SB has not had any feedback and no idea when it will be signed

53 minutes ago, Marcati said:

so far i remembered , December 2019 interview batch file was  sent to King Palace FEB 2020 and i got call for Oath on 14 August 2020.

Based on the prior cautionary posts regarding how missing/delayed documents can set approval back by months or years, I'm hoping to provide as many documents up front with my initial application as I can.

Of course, we've covered everything on the published list for wives applying through their Thai husbands. In addition, I'm planning on providing:

• my American divorce decree, with a related Embassy notarized affidavit and translation
  • an Embassy notarized affidavit of my intent to renounce US citizenship upon receipt of Thai

I'm wondering about providing the following since I've seen others here indicate they were eventually asked for them (all Embassy notarized and translated):

• birth certificate
  • driver's license (Arun Mai reports being asked for this here - I only have an American license)
  • Thai work permit (once issued by the company we're planning to create)
  • Thai company registration docs (once we've created the company)
  • certificate of residence (I don't currently have)
  • alien book (I don't currently have)

In regards to the intent to renounce US citizenship, is there any risk in completing this affidavit so early in the process?

General thoughts on providing any/all of these documents?

Just now, yankee99 said:

dont think the embassy does this anymore 

Thank you.

I understand there has been some reluctance on the part of the Embassy to formally acknowledge a willingness to participate in this process, but I believe if I take their standard affidavit form with a statement I've written myself they will sign it.

DrJoy suggested something like, "I RBS, an American citizen, my US PP number is XXXX. In connection with my recent application for Thai citizenship, I confirm I will renounce my US citizenship when granted Thai."

On 8/10/2022 at 8:53 PM, saakura said:

Yes, I can confirm that we were also asked for a 'gift' of 50,000 THB (apart from the official fee). Before asking, the officer went through my documents and casually commented (or rather commended) that both me and my wife were earning 'high' salaries.

I'm trying to get a grip on what tokens of appreciation (food or other gifts, charitable donations, etc.) might be appropriate within this process, so I'm researching the topic in general. I'm only partway through this article, but find it very interesting so thought I'd share a short excerpt.

I am still new to Thailand, and have very few experiences upon which to form a personal strategy or opinion about how things are/aren't done here. We did take a gift basket of food to the Tessaban last year when they were in the process of completing my Tabien Baan. It was not an incentive as they had already more or less finished the work, but was meant as a token of genuine appreciation because I don't think they'd previously issued many yellow books and it seemed like the process was mildly daunting for them. They seemed to receive the gift happily. We similarly gave our neighbor an edible gift for his critical assistance as a witness.

A Traveler’s Guide to Gifts and Bribes

"In this case, he suggested that money and a radio would be appropriate gifts. What he did not tell me was that his culture’s traditions required him to use the money to provide a feast—in my honor—to which he would invite everyone in his social and commercial circle whom he felt I should meet. The radio would simply create a festive atmosphere at the party. This was to mark the beginning of an ongoing relationship with reciprocal benefits."

4 minutes ago, rsskga said:

I'm trying to get a grip on what tokens of appreciation (food or other gifts, charitable donations, etc.) might be appropriate within this process, so I'm researching the topic in general. I'm only partway through this article, but find it very interesting so thought I'd share a short excerpt.

I am still new to Thailand, and have very few experiences upon which to form a personal strategy or opinion about how things are/aren't done here. We did take a gift basket of food to the Tessaban last year when they were in the process of completing my Tabien Baan. It was not an incentive as they had already more or less finished the work, but was meant as a token of genuine appreciation because I don't think they'd previously issued many yellow books and it seemed like the process was mildly daunting for them. They seemed to receive the gift happily. We similarly gave our neighbor an edible gift for his critical assistance as a witness.

A Traveler’s Guide to Gifts and Bribes

"In this case, he suggested that money and a radio would be appropriate gifts. What he did not tell me was that his culture’s traditions required him to use the money to provide a feast—in my honor—to which he would invite everyone in his social and commercial circle whom he felt I should meet. The radio would simply create a festive atmosphere at the party. This was to mark the beginning of an ongoing relationship with reciprocal benefits."

You can certainly ask the embassy when you have your passport notarized but id wait for the case officer to gove you the list of requirements .

Personally if someone asked for extra money i wouldn't be posting it here.

To be clear, no one has asked us for anything, and based on my husband's interactions with Special Branch so far it seems unlikely that anyone will.

Being bluntly asked for cash (as some here have been) or bluntly offering it seems rather indelicate. Edible gifts seem appropriate and fun to offer.

I haven't had the opportunity to discuss with my husband yet, but I'm imagining that my husband could ask the officer if he has any family, friends, or colleagues looking for a bit of work, and explain that we may be looking to hire help. Clearly someone that the officer trusts would be someone that we could trust as opposed to putting an ad out to the public. The help could be related to any number of things... someone to run errands, or drive, or cook, or clean, or more of a personal assistant if the candidate is skilled in that way.

The point would be that we'd be communicating/demonstrating our willingness to look after him via his proxy in a fair and ethical manner, in the hopes that he'll reciprocate by looking after us and the timely progress of our application. Ideally, the help would be meaningful work for meaningful pay rather than merely performative. It could have the effect of bringing us into his inner circle as the article I linked above mentions. We would simply be befriending him in an intentional way through someone he cares about, with no strings attached.

Right now, this is just a thought exercise. Based on the success so many have had without such a strategy, it seems wholly unnecessary. I guess part of me is just curious if it's possible to expedite the process without being famous (as others have mentioned here as an expediting factor).

3 hours ago, rsskga said:

The point would be that we'd be communicating/demonstrating our willingness to look after him via his proxy in a fair and ethical manner, in the hopes that he'll reciprocate by looking after us and the timely progress of our application.

Firstly, I would leave it totally at the discretion of your husband, who will understand the subtleties of such 'บุญคุณ' better than you. 

Personally, my wife noticed นะหน้าทอง and offered a religious artefact to the big guy.

5 hours ago, rsskga said:

To be clear, no one has asked us for anything, and based on my husband's interactions with Special Branch so far it seems unlikely that anyone will.

Being bluntly asked for cash (as some here have been) or bluntly offering it seems rather indelicate. Edible gifts seem appropriate and fun to offer.

I haven't had the opportunity to discuss with my husband yet, but I'm imagining that my husband could ask the officer if he has any family, friends, or colleagues looking for a bit of work, and explain that we may be looking to hire help. Clearly someone that the officer trusts would be someone that we could trust as opposed to putting an ad out to the public. The help could be related to any number of things... someone to run errands, or drive, or cook, or clean, or more of a personal assistant if the candidate is skilled in that way.

The point would be that we'd be communicating/demonstrating our willingness to look after him via his proxy in a fair and ethical manner, in the hopes that he'll reciprocate by looking after us and the timely progress of our application. Ideally, the help would be meaningful work for meaningful pay rather than merely performative. It could have the effect of bringing us into his inner circle as the article I linked above mentions. We would simply be befriending him in an intentional way through someone he cares about, with no strings attached.

Right now, this is just a thought exercise. Based on the success so many have had without such a strategy, it seems wholly unnecessary. I guess part of me is just curious if it's possible to expedite the process without being famous (as others have mentioned here as an expediting factor).

Just relating my experience, but at no time during the process did anyone solicit a bribe, or even hint at that at SB and any other branch of government I dealt with. I did bring a big chocolate cake to the SB office when my paperwork was completed.

5 hours ago, rsskga said:

I was once pushed for a bribe by an official in the Commerce Ministry who wanted a "part time" job in exchange in exchange for a necessary business approval. It turned out that the employment she wanted didn't involve showing up in our office or producing any work product. I refused and still got the approval. I would definitely not offer voluntarily to employ someone's family or friends. You could be putting your head into the lion's den. 

Giving cakes and stuff is fine, as you say. if anything else is needed, they will tell you.  Remember they are police and the whole force is builit on corruption and they are not shy. They might have had to scratch someone's back to get such a cushy job with very little work to do. Also be aware that SB has zero influence in what happens to your application once it leaves them and that is when most delays take place.  They will also avoid passing anyone who is not fully qualified as that will come back to them.  But they do need to get your file approved by the various agencies before it gets sent  to MOI. The narcotics people are said to be the worse and will probably not sign at all, if no one from SB calls and chases them a few times.  So, if your case officer doesn't like you, all he or she needs to do is not chase the narcotics bureau for their signature and your file will never be forwarded to the MOI but not the fault of SB.

9 hours ago, rsskga said:

DrJoy suggested something like, "I RBS, an American citizen, my US PP number is XXXX. In connection with my recent application for Thai citizenship, I confirm I will renounce my US citizenship when granted Thai.

Yup.

You write anything and they simply stamp it.

Signature verified

Details here -

Affidavits
An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it. This includes statements that you are free to marry or any statement that you yourself wrote and are having notarized. Please note the Embassy and Consulate assume no responsibility for the veracity of the representations that appear in the affidavit. Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

10 hours ago, rsskga said:
  • birth certificate
  • driver's license (Arun Mai reports being asked for this here - I only have an American license)

1. Birth Certificate - The US Embassy does not stamp/verify it anymore.

Alternate is to get it stamped by the Thai Embassy in Washington DC

https://thaiembdc.org/

2.Your US DL has nothing to do with this process.

3. AFAIK Foreign Women married to Thai men do NOT need to show any WP. Your Mans documents/earnings will be checked. PND 90 or PND 91 of your man. Minimum salary of 30,000 THB monthly

4. Yes company documents will be required

5. COR - Its only for those who hold Thai Permanent Residence

6. Alien Book -  Its only for those who hold Thai Permanent Residence

Hope this helps

On 2/23/2023 at 3:52 AM, rsskga said:

Based on the prior cautionary posts regarding how missing/delayed documents can set approval back by months or years, I'm hoping to provide as many documents up front with my initial application as I can.

Of course, we've covered everything on the published list for wives applying through their Thai husbands. In addition, I'm planning on providing:

• my American divorce decree, with a related Embassy notarized affidavit and translation
  • an Embassy notarized affidavit of my intent to renounce US citizenship upon receipt of Thai

I'm wondering about providing the following since I've seen others here indicate they were eventually asked for them (all Embassy notarized and translated):

• birth certificate

In regards to the intent to renounce US citizenship, is there any risk in completing this affidavit so early in the process?

Re intent to renounce US citizenship. Yes the US embassy no longer certifies this affidavit. They have probably decided it makes no sense for the US government to indulge the Thai government’s efforts to get other governments to enforce for them a Thai law that doesn’t exist but MOI officials wish it did exist. My American friend applied last year and SB had mandated a comical work around for US citizens which involved submitting a selfie of himself standing outside the US embassy on the point of going inside to attempt to get the affidavit. They had some wording for him to declare that he did indeed  plan to renounce and had attempted to get the affidavit but had been thwarted by zealous US government officials at the embassy.

Re birth certificate. I don’t understand why they have been asking for this as it has never been in the regulations or guidelines. The British embassy has never verified these (the UK has a government records office that provides certified copies) and I and not surprised if the US embassy doesn’t either. There must be a way to get certified copies in the US too.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:52 AM, rsskga said:

• birth certificate

You say 'driver's license (Arun Mai reports being asked for this here - I only have an American license)'.  I must confess, I don't recall remarking about being required to present my driving licence, which isn't to say that I didn't or that I wasn't.  Unfortunately the link doesn't pinpoint the post to which you are referring.  If you can pinpoint the post, I'd be happy to comment.

34 minutes ago, Arun Mai said:

You say 'driver's license (Arun Mai reports being asked for this here - I only have an American license)'.  I must confess, I don't recall remarking about being required to present my driving licence, which isn't to say that I didn't or that I wasn't.  Unfortunately the link doesn't pinpoint the post to which you are referring.  If you can pinpoint the post, I'd be happy to comment.

You don't need any driver's licence to apply for Thai citizenship.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:19 PM, Arun Mai said:

Is this a common experience?

I submitted my application to SB on the basis of PR and paid the fee towards the end of last year.  I submitted the remaining documents requested (name reservation +++) in December last year.  I was contacted by a new officer on Saturday, a lady with whom I had not previously been in communication, requesting more documents ahead of fixing an interview (with whom I don't know).  She said the interview would last no more than 1 hour by video call.  Anyhow, the list of documents she is requesting is broadly the same ones that I already submitted at the point of making my original application (there were one or two additional documents asked for - drivers licence and birth certificate).  I pointed out to her that I had already submitted all of these documents last year to SB.  She said the document had been sent to the National Intelligence Agency.  At first I didn't really understand what she was asking for.  It seems she wants me to submit copies of more or less the same set of documents that I already submitted to SB which may either be submitted by Line app, email, or post.  Upon receipt of the said documents she would then arrange for my interview.

Is this common?  Has this happened to other applicants?

Thank for the input in advance.

Hello Arun Mai, please see above for where you referenced being asked for additional docs.

Thanks to all for relaying your experiences and helpful tips!

I have an appointment at the US Embassy March 7. I'll report back after as to what they will/won't sign.

Archived