Pattaya: Sunday rains bring devastating damage to resort's multi million baht beach

webfact

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not suggesting they use a few kids with plastic buckets and little spades. 

We are also not discussing 'spillage' but large volumes of water pouring down from the Nua Beach Road section.  Having a tree in the middle sort of proves the point that it is not designed to handle large volumes of water. I have been to many countries where large concrete trenches are used to handle storm water....

As asked before, you think they designed a system that deliberately washes away large sections of beach sand exposing cement filled bags? I don't. The ensuing complaints are not exactly met with 'it is designed to be that way'... that is a cop out. 

The Beach Road is not at sea level. as you claim... go take a look, stand on Beach Rd and your feet won't get wet, unless it has been raining hard. You have to look down to the sea near Walking Street end. The Beer garden is at the same level as Beach Rd and not under water. 

You still didn't answer my question but I never expected a proper answer from someone who clearly never thought it through and knows nothing about it beyond building sandcastles.

Edited by shdmn

Same same every year, let's pretend we can spend a few million baht on a beach project, the rest goes into someone's pocket. Then repeat next year.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

You still didn't answer my question but I never expected a proper answer from someone who clearly never thought it through and knows nothing about it beyond building sandcastles.

I am not here to answer your questions. But anyhow, this is the one I noticed.... which seemed rhetorical.

So you never noticed the sections where the sidewalk is shaped like a spillway? 

My recollection is that when the BR drainage project finished, there were pavement steps ups all the way along. Subsequently, after some rain water remained in the road for some time, as  it had nowhere to go. Construction people came back and created what you are calling the 'by design' spillways. It really does not gel with your 'deliberate, by design, wash away Beach fabrication'. 

17 hours ago, shdmn said:

I'd love to see some written proof or evidence of what you claim, unfortunately I doubt very much that any exists, it is purely a moneymaking machine for those in power to benefit from, your idea is ludicrous in the extreme. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

The info is out there for those who want to find it as opposed to just trying to find reasons to bitch and complain about everything. Sadly, you have to know how to use google to find it.

I know if I posted it the rock throwers and serial complainers would just try find some other line of argument.  Total waste of my time.

The story could be posted a thousand times and the serial complainers will just be here again the next time it rains going "Buh The bEacH, THAis caN't do aNYtHinG rIGHt".  You know you have been in Thailand too long when you live to just bitch complain about everything in Thailand.  What kind of life is that?

Which in a nutshell means you are talking out of your backside and have no proof, give me the Google keywords you used & I will check it and post it here.

Nah I I thought not.

On 4/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, shdmn said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where exactly they would put these canals.

Certain soi could become the canals, permanently.  Pattaya could offer a NEO Venice experience to tourists.  ????

On 4/12/2021 at 3:48 PM, webfact said:

Hundreds of millions of baht have been spent on beautifying Pattaya's beach only to see it frequently washed away as soon as it rains, notes Thaivisa.

Given that the problem could be solved quite easily, one has to wonder if that is the point ( hundreds of millions of baht ) of not fixing the problem.

Let's remember that back in happier days they didn't have the same problem to the extent of now.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, welshguy said:

Im no engineer.

Surely though, Pattaya beach, isnt "unique" in the whole world? I mean surely there are other beaches, which suffer the same problems with drainage of rainwater etc?  

Surely! these other beaches have managed to overcome the problem?

I think Pattaya beach is unique now, even though it managed to avoid the beach washing away after a minor rainfall back in the 90s. It's a different administration now, and they do things "differently".

On 4/15/2021 at 1:14 AM, shdmn said:

The beach road is at sea level.

No, it's not.

Easily solved by putting a big tunnel under gratings at the end of every soi that directs the water under the beach and out to sea a few hundred meters. Of course that would mean the sea would get polluted with all the garbage that washes down the sois, which was why they put big tunnels under the road that took the water down to the "supposed" water treatment plant by Walking Street. Apparently the tunnels are not big enough, or filled with sand etc because they never get cleaned out, so they don't work properly.

Given the will, there is a solution to most problems. However I doubt that they have the will to do so, for the reason most of us know about.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 4/11/2021 at 9:25 PM, Shuya said:

If there just would be some kind of new exiting technology to collect the water during storms so they don't flood the streets... Guess there is nothing that can be done about it... 

stormwater-solutions-small.jpg

Picture looks nice, but I think canals need to be cleaned though, or they become trash ways and breed mosquito's and disease. I'm thinking of the khlong toei in bkk or any bkk canal some of which were so foul I almost threw up. I used to walk by one there and it actually bubbled up like a tar pit. My guess it was sewage. Almost threw up one day I leaned over close.

If you can't clean them it's better to not build them.

Edited by DerbyDan

22 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

I used to walk by one there and it actually bubbled up like a tar pit. My guess it was sewage. Almost threw up one day I leaned over close.

Yes that is very true.... but they can be kept clean and reasonable. Many of the old canals in the UK offer pleasant recreational facilities. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, DerbyDan said:

Picture looks nice, but I think canals need to be cleaned though, or they become trash ways and breed mosquito's and disease. I'm thinking of the khlong toei in bkk or any bkk canal some of which were so foul I almost threw up. I used to walk by one there and it actually bubbled up like a tar pit. My guess it was sewage. Almost threw up one day I leaned over close.

If you can't clean them it's better to not build them.

It doesn't have to be sewage. It could be food waste. IMO any biodegradable substance could ferment.

Of course you are correct that they have to be cleaned.