Pattaya: Sunday rains bring devastating damage to resort's multi million baht beach

webfact

Im no engineer.

Surely though, Pattaya beach, isnt "unique" in the whole world? I mean surely there are other beaches, which suffer the same problems with drainage of rainwater etc?  

Surely! these other beaches have managed to overcome the problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, skorp13 said:

Reminds me of soi pit hole, every time it rains all the money spent to fix it gets washed away. perhaps time to look for another contractor 555

Not the best example..... not much money gets spent on it really. The pedestrian walkways on the promenade, Bali Hai area and the beach itself, really make there look minor. 

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

Yes, a city like Vegas, in the Nevada desert, is exactly like a city by the sea on a hill in a tropical climate with monsoons.

Yup.  Exactly the same problem.  Flooding.  Massive flooding.  Which they solved.  Just saying, it can be done.

6 hours ago, skorp13 said:

Reminds me of soi pit hole, every time it rains all the money spent to fix it gets washed away. perhaps time to look for another contractor 555

As my wife says, when I complain about this....can't make money if you don't spend money.  Corruption....

20 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that damage to both the environment and tourism - with many visitors in town for the Songkran holidays - was massive. 

Another multi-million baht quick fix.

Time the "Mr Fix-it" got removed to make way for someone who knows what they're doing.

20 hours ago, Shuya said:

If there just would be some kind of new exiting technology to collect the water during storms so they don't flood the streets... Guess there is nothing that can be done about it... 

stormwater-solutions-small.jpg

Will not happen to much graft money to be made, why fix it its not broken!

20 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

My understanding is that there is a group of professionals who can assist. They are called Professional Engineers. 

Or better yet, the  Pattaya people could look at some of the successful beach preservation projects. 

The Tweed River Entrance Sand Bypassing Project, alias Tweed Sand Bypassing (TSB), is a joint initiative of the Queensland and New South Wales governments and has done a  decent dual purpose of keeping a navigable river open, while replenishing a beautiful beach area. I find it fascinating that Thai government cannot do simple basic engineering while country like Australia can.

Just concrete it all and paint it with fluorescent paint stripes. 

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, Patong2021 said:

My understanding is that there is a group of professionals who can assist. They are called Professional Engineers. 

Or better yet, the  Pattaya people could look at some of the successful beach preservation projects. 

The Tweed River Entrance Sand Bypassing Project, alias Tweed Sand Bypassing (TSB), is a joint initiative of the Queensland and New South Wales governments and has done a  decent dual purpose of keeping a navigable river open, while replenishing a beautiful beach area. I find it fascinating that Thai government cannot do simple basic engineering while country like Australia can.

Correct this circus has been going on since i arrived here 17 years ago

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Exactly, same sections every time? Then make those sections into concrete spillways and modify the road/kerbs to direct the water that way. Put bridges over for beach users to access. At least that should reduce the sand loss every time it rains a bit.

Better to let it wash away every time there's a bit of rain then replace it, it' makes a few people VERY happy! ???? ???? ???? Khup Phoom! ????   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

2 excavators and 2 rubber ducks hard at work opposite A-One hotel, no Songkram jollys for their drivers. The beach will be as good as new by teatime.

What on earth are the rubber ducks for, the bathtub?

49 minutes ago, Leaver said:

And trashed again after the next rain, and so the band aid solution cycle continues.

Very true. I presume the City Council are paying for the remediation whether in-house or contracted out. They do a good job; they get plenty of practice, mind.

Okay, I know that this is a Pattaya centric thread, but we have been to Prachuap Kiri Khan, Cha Am & visited Hua Hin, they all have nice beaches, ie sandy & wideish, what happens over there when you get a monsoon rain blowing through ?? Anyone care to comment ?

Edited by Golden Triangle
Predictive text again

14 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

Will not happen to much graft money to be made, why fix it its not broken!

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where exactly they would put these canals. Or maybe there is some other way to do it when you don't have any place to put them.  Like maybe some sort of tubular thing they could bury under the streets or something idk. ????

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, shdmn said:

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me where exactly they would put these canals. Or maybe there is some other way to do it when you don't have any place to put them.  Like maybe some sort of tubular thing they could bury under the streets or something idk. ????

They've got a few canals used for drainage.  Which have been blocked by illegal building.  Just like they've done in Bangkok.  I think they cleared some up a few years ago, but who knows.

For sure, it'd take some big canals or tunnels to handle the flow of water.  But it can be done.  Other cities have done it.  Sadly, they don't have the qualified engineers here to deal with it...and massive corruption doesn't help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

The topic is about the beach and the damage heavy rain is doing each and every time we get any. 

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The topic is about the beach and the damage heavy rain is doing each and every time we get any. 

Ok cool then why are we talking about canals?

Also, there is no damage.  The beach washes away where they designed it to wash away.  They just fill it back in within a day or two no big deal.  The serial complainers here just love beating this deal horse over and over again every time it rains, refusing to accept that they planned it this way.  I guess they don't have lives so they don't have anything better to do.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Ok cool then why are we talking about canals?

Trenches from The Beach Road out to sea were mentioned... the water obviously pours down onto the beach in a few particular places, bottom of Nua, Soi 6 area, Klang etc. It would make sense to facilitate it. The new sand gets washed away every heavy rain. The Beach reclamation project, and the Beach Road drainage project were effected as separate entities. I am not sure the beach was designed to be washed away, I never heard that, and it really does not make sense if it was. 

Your assumption that people do not have lives is as presumptive as your theory of the wash-away beach! And it isn't really the point. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Trenches from The Beach Road out to sea were mentioned... the water obviously pours down onto the beach in a few particular places, bottom of Nua, Soi 6 area, Klang etc. It would make sense to facilitate it. The new sand gets washed away every heavy rain. The Beach reclamation project, and the Beach Road drainage project were effected as separate entities. I am not sure the beach was designed to be washed away, I never heard that, and it really does not make sense if it was. 

Your assumption that people do not have lives is as presumptive as your theory of the wash-away beach! And it isn't really the point. 

So you never noticed the sections where the sidewalk is shaped like a spillway?  If you never noticed that they you would have never connected the dots that those are the exact spots where the beach washes away.  And no, it's not (primarily) so that vehicles can drive up onto the sidewalk although they do use it for that.  There is at least one spillway section where there is a tree or something right in the middle of it.  So no, that is not (primarily) what they are for. They are spillways.  

Regarding this ridiculous canal idea.  Remember as a kid where you would sit on the beach and make little rivers in the sand, the water would come in and fill up the moat around your castle or whatever.  Now, let's scale up to these canals you 'experts' are talking about.  The beach road is at sea level.  It's mere feet from the base where the concrete meets the sand and sea level.  During a high enough tide it's even less.  Now let's dig down several feet.  Deep enough where you can have a good enough foundation to permanently put in concrete or whatever. Probably would need to be quite deep and a bunch of other things done even deeper like pylons driven in and gravel and rocks added but whatever  Let's pretend you can just spend 1 day digging a little trench in the sand and pouring in concrete and put in this canal that the 'experts' here say will totally solve the problem.  What will happen?  I'll wait for your answer.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, shdmn said:

What will happen?  I'll wait for your answer.

I am not suggesting they use a few kids with plastic buckets and little spades. 

We are also not discussing 'spillage' but large volumes of water pouring down from the Nua Beach Road section.  Having a tree in the middle sort of proves the point that it is not designed to handle large volumes of water. I have been to many countries where large concrete trenches are used to handle storm water....

As asked before, you think they designed a system that deliberately washes away large sections of beach sand exposing cement filled bags? I don't. The ensuing complaints are not exactly met with 'it is designed to be that way'... that is a cop out. 

The Beach Road is not at sea level. as you claim... go take a look, stand on Beach Rd and your feet won't get wet, unless it has been raining hard. You have to look down to the sea near Walking Street end. The Beer garden is at the same level as Beach Rd and not under water. 

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

If the beach washes away in a few specific locations, why not simple concrete those run-off areas?

Yes  concrete canals from Beach rd at North end, Soi6 and South end with outfall into bay. Unlike the failed drainpipe projects even if sand builds up in canals it would be easier to clear. 

IMG_20210218_093332.jpg