New CX-5 2.5 Turbo 4WD or Fortuner Legender 2.8 4WD - Help deciding?

Morning All...

I live on Samui, and I'm about to buy a new car but not sure which one to go for.  I've narrowed it down to either a CX-5 Turbo or a Fortuner Legender.

I really like the look of the Fortuner and I understand that Toyota holds their resale value better.  It's a practical SUV which is definitely suited for Samui roads.  However, I'm not sure if I really need such a big truck for my small family, and I'm sure the CX-5 will get much better fuel economy for short runs plus it'll probably be more fun to drive.

Decisions.. decisions...

I'd really appreciate your input and which one you would go for.

TIA,
Tom.

• Like 1

Imagine all the demands the vehicle will meet throughout it's lifetime & buy accordingly....

Check out the comfort level you'd need for a long trip.... I'm 195 tall and find some vehicle's ergonomics just don't work out well.....

Personally, I'd go with more vehicle, rather than less - always have & have never been disappointed....

• Like 1

Don't like the brakes on the Mazda CX-5 and the Fortuner is far too agricultural for me.

However, if it came down to it the Mazda wins hands down as it has a much nicer interior, 19" wheels, BOSE sound system and subwoofer, heads up display and driving modes including economy and sport. It's far more fun to drive and feels sportier.

The Fortuner is built on a very old platform now and it definitely shows its age when you drive even the newest models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live on samui and have a pajero sport . I would like to have a SUV like the Mazda etc but the flooding in samui in parts of the main roads can still be awful and deep so I will stick with the pajero for peace of mind that it will drive through mostly anything. But if you don’t need go out much or you live in an area that has good drainage then I would pick Mazda.

• Like 1

I would go with the Honda CR-V.  It slots right between the two size-wise.  Not too big like the Fortuner and not too small like the CX 5--we looked at both before we bought the Honda.  Very comfortable, great for long trips, and a very flexible interior--we are always amazed at all the big stuff we buy that we can fit inside.   Maybe give it a look.  

• Like 1

I think the Mazda is the way to go. Excellent performance, handling, and an interior that belongs in a European marque. It is an extremely highly regarded car by the international motoring press. In addition, it will be much easier to navigate the small winding Samui roads.

I would only recommend the Toyota if you really needed the size, or perhaps if you were going to drive long distances, say from Surathani to Bangkok, on a fairly regular basis.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

However, if it came down to it the Mazda wins hands down as it has a much nicer interior, 19" wheels, BOSE sound system and subwoofer, heads up display and driving modes including economy and sport. It's far more fun to drive and feels sportier.

I got a Fortuner TRD and it has a nice interior, 19" wheels, a BOSE sound system and subwoofer, and driving modes including eonomy and sport.

You sure you are pointing out differences?

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

I got a Fortuner TRD and it has a nice interior, 19" wheels, a BOSE sound system and subwoofer, and driving modes including eonomy and sport.

You sure you are pointing out differences?

Both have a lot of the same accessories but not sure the Fortuner has cooled seats and 360 front and rear cameras.

21 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

CX 5, no doubt!

Years ago I had to make a similar choice between a CRV and a Fortuner. I took a test drive with the CRV, sat behind the wheel of the Fortuner, and didn't even start the engine; I wanted a car, not a truck. 

BTW I find the CX 5 attractive but right now I'd buy another CRV, as the Honda service is great, and their network, here in Issan, is more developed than Mazda's. But I might be different I that, for me, buying a car is buying a long term transportation service, not an object of devotion.

6 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Years ago I had to make a similar choice between a CRV and a Fortuner. I took a test drive with the CRV, sat behind the wheel of the Fortuner, and didn't even start the engine; I wanted a car, not a truck. 

BTW I find the CX 5 attractive but right now I'd buy another CRV, as the Honda service is great, and their network, here in Issan, is more developed than Mazda's. But I might be different I that, for me, buying a car is buying a long term transportation service, not an object of devotion.

I find the Mazda service in Korat very good. I owned a 2014 Mazda 3 and now a 2020 CX30 always serviced at the dealer. I didn't need anything larger than the CX30 as there is only 2 of us in the family and the wife thought the CX5 to large for her taste. 

8 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

I live on samui and have a pajero sport . I would like to have a SUV like the Mazda etc but the flooding in samui in parts of the main roads can still be awful and deep so I will stick with the pajero for peace of mind that it will drive through mostly anything. But if you don’t need go out much or you live in an area that has good drainage then I would pick Mazda.

A lot of guys change the suspension on the pajero sport and put on profender shocks/struts. I drove the sis-in-laws pjs and found it quite bouncy on rough roads. You may consider that, if you find the same issue. I have a crv - about the same general comfort level but much better on rough roads - firm but a stable feeling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Both have a lot of the same accessories but not sure the Fortuner has cooled seats and 360 front and rear cameras.

The cooled seats are a game-changer for me.

Next purchase will include that for sure, I always have a hot ass here in thailand.

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, DavisH said:

If the roads are bad, probably go with the cx-5. Ride comfort is superior. It has AWD so should suit most of your needs, unless you go offroad often. 

agree, the new CX5 has all the goodies and great ride comfort

There is much criticism of the Fortuner being a pickup dressed up as an SUV because of the pickup chassis. That to me is a positive, not a negative. It means that it is built like a tank. Look at all the abuse that pickups are subject to and they take it in their stride and keep going. You need to consider the type of roads you'll drive on,  how you intend to use it, and what sort of comfort you are after. As well as the usual considerations. For some people the Fortuner is the right answer, for others it will be the CX5

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:35 AM, newnative said:

I would go with the Honda CR-V.  It slots right between the two size-wise.  Not too big like the Fortuner and not too small like the CX 5--we looked at both before we bought the Honda.  Very comfortable, great for long trips, and a very flexible interior--we are always amazed at all the big stuff we buy that we can fit inside.   Maybe give it a look.  

CRV would be great if Honda didn’t palm Thailand off with its ancient technology engines that it years ago discontinued in western markets. I drove a hybrid CRV in U.K. almost 3 years ago which is a gem - no sign of it here . 
Worse still is Honda still charges premium price for that major shortcoming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

CRV would be great if Honda didn’t palm Thailand off with its ancient technology engines that it years ago discontinued in western markets. I drove a hybrid CRV in U.K. almost 3 years ago which is a gem - no sign of it here . 
Worse still is Honda still charges premium price for that major shortcoming.

Yes.  I'm hoping the next CR-V here will have a hybrid model.  Even with the old technology we liked it better than the Fortuner and the CX 5--one was too big and one too small.   The new CX 8 might be a consideration--it wasn't available when we bought a couple years ago.  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, newnative said:

Yes.  I'm hoping the next CR-V here will have a hybrid model.  Even with the old technology we liked it better than the Fortuner and the CX 5--one was too big and one too small.   The new CX 8 might be a consideration--it wasn't available when we bought a couple years ago.  

I think they’ll sweat the engine line churning out those old petrol engines until people wake up and stop buying them. The Mazda CX8 and CX9 are far superior offerings in every department now at similar price,but Thaiscare pretty uninformed and undiscriminating and will probably just keep letting the brand dictate their choice.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

I think they’ll sweat the engine line churning out those old petrol engines until people wake up and stop buying them. The Mazda CX8 and CX9 are far superior offerings in every department now at similar price,but Thaiscare pretty uninformed and undiscriminating and will probably just keep letting the brand dictate their choice.

CX 9??

Never seen one of them.