Holiday in the uk

I think you have a retirement EXTENSION. You will therefore need a Re-entry permit as a start point.

As it stands, standard quarantine applies on your return. 

Things could change after 1st July if you have been vaccinated.

The exact requirements are constantly changing so you should check with the Thai embassy (or the UK government)

• Like 1

Not likely to get vaccinated in the UK unless you can prove that you are a still a resident there, I would just stay in Thailand think flight cost, plus quarantine upon return which could be 10 days (ball park figure 40,000thb per person as per ASQ websites)

Edited by beano2274

39 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

Not likely to get vaccinated in the UK unless you can prove that you are a still a resident there, I would just stay in Thailand think flight cost, plus quarantine upon return which could be 10 days (ball park figure 40,000thb per person as per ASQ websites)

If you have a NHS# should not be an issue getting first jab but 2nd usually 3 months after

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

So you think that any Brit who returns to the UK can get the vaccination? Sorry but I know of many who returned from Thailand and could not get treatment for other issues straight away as they had not paid contributions for a long time, they had to wait 3 months before they could even see a doctor.

Brits are entitled to free emergency treatment immediately upon return to the UK.

For something as routine as a vaccination it could take sometime if they have not made sure that they are retained on a doctor's books. I wrote to mine to explain that Covid had prevented my normal return to the UK and I would contact the surgery, when I did eventually return, to arrange my vaccination.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Brits are entitled to free emergency treatment immediately upon return to the UK.

Only if they can show/prove that thet have moved back to UK permanently eg a house rental. Even then I think there is a certain waiting time unless it's an emergency, for which anyone would be treated.

• Like 2

as long as you are registered with the g

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

For something as routine as a vaccination it could take sometime if they have not made sure that they are retained on a doctor's books. I wrote to mine to explain that Covid had prevented my normal return to the UK and I would contact the surgery, when I did eventually return, to arrange my vaccination.

As you said if you are retained on a doctors books, but the GP can also remove you from his books if you move out of his catchment area, which means you will have to re-register.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, treetops said:

NHS treatment for Brits returning home gets discussed frequently on here and if anyone waits for 3 months then they only have themself to blame.

It appears that anyone with an NHS number can make their vaccination appointments on line in England, so even if not registered with a GP the OP could still get a jab if he wanted.

Did I miss a post from the OP?

Where did he mention the trip to UK was for vax jab.

Sounds like he was going for a visit. Stupid idea.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Post 2 brought up the subject of vaccination which was then replied to incorrectly.

I did say in my post "the OP could still get a jab if he wanted" (emphasis on "if") as it was clear he had not indicated as such.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

Post 2 brought up the subject of vaccination which was then replied to incorrectly.

I did say in my post "the OP could still get a jab if he wanted" (emphasis on "if") as it was clear he had not indicated as such.

Point taken. 

Think I gave the OP a laugh emote as his plan of trip home and return is just crazy in current situation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

Very true, a mate of mine had required some treatment but had to wait a minimum of 3 months due to the fact that he moved back from Thailand, and could not prove he had returned permanently.

Free medical treatment in prison/police custody.

Just pointing out.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Only if they can show/prove that thet have moved back to UK permanently eg a house rental. Even then I think there is a certain waiting time unless it's an emergency, for which anyone would be treated.

The post you are replying to also only says that returning Brits get emergency treatment for free. Your reply makes it sound as if they said something different.

However even stating that anyone returning can get emergency treatment is understating it slightly. The official advice from the NHS is that anyone is entitled to free emergency treatment and GP service. 

It's only for non-emergency hospital treatment that you're officially supposed to wait three months.

See link below from the NHS website:

How to access NHS services in England if you are visiting from abroad

As stated on that page:

If you're in England for a short visit but need to see a GP, you can register as a temporary patient with a local doctor.

And although the OP wasn't talking about getting a Covid vaccination, it is still interesting to note that the page does also mention (right at the top of the page) that visitors to the UK are entitled to get a coronavirus vaccination for free.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, beano2274 said:

Really, that's what I paid last March, still got the voucher after cancelling. 

I had hoped to travel in July, get vaccinated there and come back Aug/Sep. Should be able to get the vaccine here I guess by July. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, beano2274 said:

So you think that any Brit who returns to the UK can get the vaccination? Sorry but I know of many who returned from Thailand and could not get treatment for other issues straight away as they had not paid contributions for a long time, they had to wait 3 months before they could even see a doctor.

I imagine there are private hospitals with vaccines? 

Personally, if your life is here, I would not risk leaving. There is no guarantee that Thailand won't react to increasing hysteria and public pressure by entirely banning entry to non-nationals. I have a feeling that the new dominant variant in India, with a double mutation, is going to prolong the whole mess for longer than we had hoped when the vaccines first emerged.

All the posts about entitlement to NHS services are irrelevant. The vaccine drive falls into a different category. The aim is to protect the population as a whole by inoculating the maximum number of people. The UK government have stated that everyone in the UK, including illegal immigrants, will be eligible.

There may be some confusion because the main mechanism for connecting with the public is via GP surgeries, or by applying online and providing your NHS number, but they will be addressing various groups in other ways. The short of it is that, if they have reached your age group, you will be able to swing it. They want to vaccinate as many people as possible.

They know that vaccine hesitancy is going to be a massive problem as they start to do the age groups for whom Covid is a neglible risk, and as more reports (both founded and unfounded) emerge about side-effects, or reduced effigacy against new variants.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, beano2274 said:

Some misinformation there. The NHS is effectively a 2 tier arrangement, you are registered on the NHS and with a GP, the latter is dependent on the former but not the reciprocal.

I regularly received bowel cancer screening packs from the NHS direct although not registered with a GP, and I suspect an invitation for the vaccine was sent to the  address on file.

People visiting the UK can register with a GP on a temporary basis subject to the practice accepting new patients. A list of GP practices accepting new patients can be found on the NHS website.

16 hours ago, beano2274 said:

Yes, any visitor to the UK is entitled to get a coronavirus vaccination as clearly stated on the NHS website I linked to earlier. Of course, on the current vaccination schedule being used in the UK, you'd need to be there 3 months to get both doses.

As that page also points out, visitors (even short term) are allowed to get GP service. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sounds like he was going for a visit. Stupid idea.

I think the "vax jab" arose as a sticking point when trying to re-enter Thailand.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beano2274 said:

As you said if you are retained on a doctors books, but the GP can also remove you from his books if you move out of his catchment area, which means you will have to re-register.

I believe that the rules regarding catchment areas have been changed. I had changed my address a couple of years back, and moved well away from the old catchment area. I wanted to remain a patient at my surgery and they said okay. Presumably at their discretion. 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

From the Link -----> 

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

- Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

The statement that I need to show proof that I have this level of Health-Insurance for re-entering Thailand (from the UK) with a Non-O (retirement-)extension comes as news to me.    -   I thought that this requirement only applied to Non-0-A's.

1 minute ago, andersonat said:

The statement that I need to show proof that I have this level of Health-Insurance for re-entering Thailand (from the UK) with a Non-O (retirement-)extension comes as news to me.    -   I thought that this requirement only applied to Non-0-A's.

It was recently added to the requirements for a COE.  It would not be required for extending a stay in country as it is for the O-A visa.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, treetops said:

It was recently added to the requirements for a COE.  It would not be required for extending a stay in country as it is for the O-A visa.

Many thanks for the info, Treetops.   ---  I have not left Thailand since October 2019, but I was hoping to visit the UK again "when-things-look-normal" (in both the UK and in Thailand). 

So (paraphrasing your reply) under The Latest Rules, until the COE's are no longer necessary (whenever that may be), all Returning Long-Stayers will have to provide a proof of their Health-Insurance.