UK Passport Renewal, proof of address.

I'm going to BKK early in May to renew my UK passport and to prove my address in Thailand the website requests one of the following :

Name and address and/or residency evidence Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) • tax record eg a letter from a tax authority • educational record eg school report • employment record eg official letter from your employer • letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department • medical/health card • voter’s card • immigration documents

I don't have any of those, I was presuming a current bank statement would suffice. What has anybody else used or is it another 500 Baht in the pocket of the immigration officers for a letter?

UKPA are very flexible and I have their written confirmation that a copy of my wife's Thai ID card, signed by her, with the words.. " I confirm that XXX lives with me at YYY address" is sufficient. I have nothing originating in Thailand with my address on - many expats are the same - a brief covering note explaining that + say, the copy ID card will work.

Anything received from the UK (within the last 6 months) ie bank statements, tax notices etc will suffice.

The Yellow house book mentioned by Charlie H is technically not on the list unless it was issued in the last 6 months..... same Thai DL. It does, however, show how flexible UKPA are.

Note... you are dealing with UKPA NOT VfS  and they are not arbiters of what you send. They should simply ask if you are happy with the supporting information that you provide.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

I rent so have a rental agreement - what do you do?  I have home internet via 3BB.  I get a bill with my full name in English on it + my address.  I get an annual p60 with my Thai address on it.

I don't get a P60 whatever that is and none of the other things you mention are on their list of acceptable documents.

I don't rent, I ''own''.

Emailed them twice with no reply so just tried a third time and they confirm I can use my UK bank statement provided the address is the same as my application form.

Thanks for all replies.

N.B. For anyone wanting to book an appointment they are only open Mondays and Wednesdays.

22 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I don't get a P60 whatever that is and none of the other things you mention are on their list of acceptable documents.

A P60 is a certificate of income and tax deducted issued by a employer or pension provider in the UK.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, Upnotover said:

Note it says and/or.  They really don't care what your address is they are only interested that you are in the country legally.  In your case a copy of your current visa/extension and a bank statement will be fine.

HMPO should surely be able to satisfy themselves on the legitimacy of our stay in Thailand on the basis of the copies of our existing passport pages which we are in any event required to submit with our renewal applications. So why should they also insist on some recent official document such as a bank statement which includes our current address if they don't actually care about it, as you say? I accept that they would probably be justified in asking for this if they were prepared to send our replacement passports directly to this address - but, unfortunately, they aren't!

IMHO this absurd requirement is on a par in the completely pointless bureaucracy stakes with 90-day reporting!

My daughter's passport was posted beginning of April to the UK.

By chance, I found today an email from the UK in my Spam, asking for the email address of the person, who countersigned the application.

Good to open sometimes your spam.

The Proof of address needs to be in English.

Thus: my Pink ID could not be used (or my Yellow house book) - I had them with me, but they were rejected. Fortunately, I had my Thai DL in my wallet (when at the VFS making the application). 

I have used my Thai Driving Licence 3x now for proof of address when obtaining a British Passport (for my Son), then 5 years later when renewing his passport and also when renewing my passport. 

Op, if you have your Thai DL - thats the solution you are looking for. 

Edited by richard_smith237

I just sent mine back to UK with form filled in,

and my daughter paid and sent it off for me,

returned in a week, few more days back to

Thailand.while not really kosher, did not fancy

2 trips to Bangkok.

regards worgeordie

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: my Pink ID could not be used (or my Yellow house book) - I had them with me, but they were rejected. Fortunately, I had my Thai DL in my wallet (when at the VFS making the application). 

I have used my Thai Driving Licence 3x now for proof of address when obtaining a British Passport (for my Son), then 5 years later when renewing his passport and also when renewing my passport. 

Not necessarily if you have a lifetime Thai DL - as several members do.On the lifetime license the address is printed in Thai.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They will accept my bank statement which I will use though my DL will be in the car with me. I'm surprised they are accepting a DL as it could be up to 5 years old so not necessarily your current address. It's also not on their list of acceptable documents though they are being flexible about that list.