Thailand reports 1,443 new COVID-19 cases, 4 new deaths

webfact

39 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I'm not really sure why all these people are lining up for testing...unless they need a - test for work or travel purposes. If somebody was at risk of exposure, self isolate for 1-2 weeks and if no symptoms then resume normal activities. If mild symptoms develop, stay in isolation and self-treat, and if serious conditions (high fever, SOB) then present at a hospital for treatment.

The above post was what I responded to @Pattaya Spotter

Nowhere did I see any of this information you just now provided, shown in the quote below in the post above.

7 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I think you intentionally misread or misunderstood my post...which was people should self isolate if they feel unwell or may have had an exposure episode. Then you went on to restate all that can happen if they don't (which I agree with) thus my initial statement. Thai people, even the lower classes, are very resourceful and I'm confident most could locate a room of their own, relative, or friend to self-isolate in. Of course, many also already live alone. If they were truly destitute, they can present for testing, like those pictured, and if they're positive, be sent off to state quarantine. 

I never intentionally misread your post, you can look at it again and see I responded directly to it. Had I read such as you posted in the most recent quote in the first post i reference I never would have answered it the way I did.  Thanks for the clarification, most times we do see things similarly. 

1 hour ago, Osthos said:

Another is that if we compare regional countries that had not gone into full lockdown to control the virus. Both Singapore and Hong Kong have been in similar positions to Thailand and both had similar restrictions on nightlife, restaurants, and bars. Through these measures, both have defeated waves of cases that infected relatively small numbers of its population. And both these places are much more dense population wise compared to Thailand, even to Bangkok. 

The diffrence is that HK and Singapore do not have parties like the Phuket Kolour beach party, full of covid deniers, no one wearing mask etc. 

Not to mention their strict rules for entering the country. Actually Thailand had similar strict rules last year which helped to control the outbreak quite effective. 

If you look at Vietnam and Taiwan it is the same story there. Border pretty much closed since start.

However, Thailand choosed a diffrent path in recent months and now even made quarantine shorter 1st April. I know majority (at least here) dont seem to think that it makes any diffrence but im not so sure. Quarantine infections has dropped since 1st April. Why is that?

It might seem irrelevant comparing those small quarantine numbers with the Thong lor outbreak but why risk these new mutations from Brazil, UK, SA and now even the double mutation from India by reducing the quarantine? 

I do think there is a need for a month lockdown right now, mass testing, 14 day quarantine, penalties for not wearing masks, fast vaccine rollout etc. 

I prefer to suffer now a month rather than to suffer forever if action is not taken fast enough.

We did suffer last year during lockdown, then we pretty much lived normal lives for the whole year while the outside world went info chaos. 

Easy choice if you ask me.

Edited by Nismooo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You realise that 500,000 people die each year in Thailand. That's over a thousand a day. Who is responsible for this "sad reality"? Death is a fact of life. Get over it.

So empathetic you must be.  Cold hard facts seem to be of no concern to you, kudo's sir on being cold and calculated with your response. I hope that one day you may understand an empathetic response and have compassion when the time is needed for your own.  Your responses remind me of my grandfather's, a WW2 vet who survived Pearl Harbor.

A couple of local COVID vaccine updates:

Another 500,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine will be delivered to Thailand on Saturday, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced on Tuesday after the weekly Cabinet meeting.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000023

Prayut said ... the government were in the process of acquiring between 5-10 million doses of Pfizer and that general registration for vaccines is due to begin on May 1 ahead of the locally produced AZ vaccines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taxin said:

Not according to these stats. Some provinces are down on cases, CM quite significantly.

Panic over everybody, doomsayers can go back to their sad lives of misery and doom.

Bangkok -- 350 (up from 293)

Chiang Mai -- 116 (down from 197)

Chonburi -- 82 (down from 98)

Samut Prakan -- 60 (down from 82)

Pathum Thani -- 57 (up from 19)

Surat Thani -- 47 (down from 42)

Nakhon Ratchasima -- 47 (up from 35)

Phetchaburi -- 43 (up from 35)

Prachuap Khiri Khan -- 41 (up from 23)

I think you missed his point on it spreading......

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The above post was what I responded to @Pattaya Spotter

Nowhere did I see any of this information you just now provided, shown in the quote below in the post above.

I never intentionally misread your post, you can look at it again and see I responded directly to it. Had I read such as you posted in the most recent quote in the first post i reference I never would have answered it the way I did.  Thanks for the clarification, most times we do see things similarly. 

If I misquoted you it was my bad and unintentional. Since the start of the pandemic, I've not understood the penchant for testing...do people run out and get tested when they have the flu? Unless needed for work or travel what's the point...wear a mask in public (if your unknowingly + reduce risk of transmission) and try to follow physical distance rules as much a practical. If suspect exposure or symptomatic self-isolate or seek medical treatment if serious.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nismooo said:

If you look at Vietnam and Taiwan it is the same story there. Border pretty much closed since start.

Yes, exactly. I believe Cambodia, Malaysia and Hong Kong  also did the same, right?

3 minutes ago, Nismooo said:

I do think there is a need for a month lockdown right now, mass testing, 14 day quarantine, penalties for not wearing masks, fast vaccine rollout etc. 

Yes,  strict lockdowns for a short period of time will most certainly give us our freedom back sooner than later. 

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Prayut said ... the government were in the process of acquiring between 5-10 million doses of Pfizer and that general registration for vaccines is due to begin on May 1 ahead of the locally produced AZ vaccines.

Using the Pfizer vaccine and others alongside the AZ vaccine makes a lot of sense.

There are other highly effective vaccines available as well. They should be buying them all, of course they should have done this a year ago but I guess they watch what other countries do before acting.

6 minutes ago, Nismooo said:

We do have a more or less 2 week lockdown...and if numbers stay the same can see them extending it another two weeks till mid-May. Hopefully this will squash virus spread as effectively as last March/April.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

We do have a more or less 2 week lockdown...and if numbers stay the same can see them extending it another two weeks till mid-May. Hopefully this will squash virus spread as effectively as last March/April.

That would make perfect sense. 

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

.do people run out and get tested when they have the flu?

As a matter of fact yes, in Asia people have a tendency to go to the hospital for every small little thing, whereas in the West, we go to the pharmacy and just buy paracetamol.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

As a matter of fact yes, in Asia people have a tendency to go to the hospital for every small little thing, whereas in the West, we go to the pharmacy and just buy paracetamol.

Most Thai's i know go to pharmacy when they have the common cold or flu, but they get given a sh** load more drugs!

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nismooo said:

The difference is that HK and Singapore do not have parties like the Phuket Kolour beach party, full of covid deniers, no one wearing mask etc. 

On that point I would say HK was in exactly the same position last November as Thailand is in now. The superspreader event that triggered a wave of serious cases was linked to a ballroom dancing club. People in close proximity dancing without masks and violating the limit on the number of people present at the same time (Sound familiar?). From this wave HK implemented very similar restrictions as Thailand has now, controlling the spread over a month or two.

As to the reduction of quarantine, I think it's obvious the economic considerations were weighed quite heavily in that decision.

And I agree short term lockdown pain will control this wave quicker and would be preferable for some. But what about those who would lose their livelihoods or those who can't afford a hard lockdown? Does the government have the will or the means to help them survive?  

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran.  The sad reality is that 2 were 78 years old, one was 86 and then one was only 30.  Sure the 30 year old was obese and ran with the Thonglor groups, but 30 is still way to young to die had preventive measures been adhered to by the clubs.

So tiring to hear you exaggerating on a daily basis after every wave:

According to a government spokesman, the new deaths included:

--a bed-bound 78-year-old Thai woman from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a 78-year-old Thai man from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a bed-bound 86-year-old Indian national woman with pre-existing conditions,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yep, seems to be leveling out very fast, despite an increase in testing which is  a very good sign.
I said from the get go  that Thailand has done an exceptional job containing the virus. But, of course i was constantly ridiculed by some members here. 

Increase in testing , care to elaborate with some firm data ?

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So tiring to see this and to know that the 4 deaths could have possibly been prevented had travel been stopped for Songkran.  The sad reality is that 2 were 78 years old, one was 86 and then one was only 30.  Sure the 30 year old was obese and ran with the Thonglor groups, but 30 is still way to young to die had preventive measures been adhered to by the clubs.

3 of the 4 were exposed long before Songkran, a positive test usually comes one week after exposure. The fourth was an 86 year old woman who was already bedridden with severe thyroid illness. Pretty unlikely that she was out partying for Songkran. Yeah it's tiring, but there is no way to eliminate all risk. Young men are going to go out and seek "Entertainment" no matter what. people are going to be stupid. Meanwhile, compare Thailand's numbers to the rest of the world. 600,000 dead in the US and people are still behaving recklessly egged on by the most vile and soulless "leaders". Thai leaders are virtual angels by comparison. Monday morning quarterbacking is not helpful. Nor are your baseless speculations. Nobody has a crystal ball, Thai leaders are trying to make the safest practical decisions without causing undue hardship. They are in a difficult position and I doubt you could do better if you were in their shoes. Clearly they thought banning the celebrations would be sufficient. Not unreasonable. I'm sure a majority of people thought that was sufficient. And I repeat, there is no established connection between the 4 deaths and Songkran travel. There are a range of choices from absolute lockdown to completely opening. The choices were made and now we are seeing the results. I would rather be here than anywhere else in the world. I know how to stay safe and use common sense. 

"Thailand Post has announced that all post offices around the country are changing their operation times, starting from 19 April 2021 as follows:

1. The Thailand Post main branches in Bangkok and other provinces will open until 18.00 hr.

2. Thailand Post's general branches and offices in gas stations will open until 17.00 hr.

3. As for Thailand Post branches in department stores and in airports, they will open until 19.00 hr.

Information about the post offices can be checked at http://www.thailandpost.co.th/th/index     For more information, please contact Hotline 1545."

ThaiPost.jpg.744c009cc221f78815dbabdc91de1978.jpg

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So tiring to hear you exaggerating on a daily basis after every wave:

According to a government spokesman, the new deaths included:

--a bed-bound 78-year-old Thai woman from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a 78-year-old Thai man from Bangkok with pre-existing conditions,

--a bed-bound 86-year-old Indian national woman with pre-existing conditions,

There was also a 30 year old Thai male who died RIP check some sources, its all there

5 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yes, exactly. I believe Cambodia, Malaysia and Hong Kong  also did the same, right?

I think you are correct but for some reason it did not work as well in Malaysia.

I do have a few ideas on why but yeah, unfortunally. 

I remember HK citizens complained a lot about the border to China being open too long. Then in March i believe it was they closed everything for non-residents, alco bans etc.

They also increased quarantine to 21 days end of last year.  

4 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

There are a lot of expats in Thailand old with pre-existing conditions. And I have not heard of a single one of them dying. I think Thailand is doing an excellent job keeping you all safe and managing this virus 

Another that needs to check first, at least 3 have died

23 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Not sure that is enough due to the diffrence in numbers right now and last year but i really hope you are right. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, taxin said:

Not according to these stats. Some provinces are down on cases, CM quite significantly.

Panic over everybody, doomsayers can go back to their sad lives of misery and doom.

Bangkok -- 350 (up from 293)

Chiang Mai -- 116 (down from 197)

Chonburi -- 82 (down from 98)

Samut Prakan -- 60 (down from 82)

Pathum Thani -- 57 (up from 19)

Surat Thani -- 47 (down from 42)

Nakhon Ratchasima -- 47 (up from 35)

Phetchaburi -- 43 (up from 35)

Prachuap Khiri Khan -- 41 (up from 23)

Gotta love Surat Thani. Nothing like an upside down place ????