Shopping Malls and Retail Stores to Stock up Goods for Increasing Demand

webfact

a90331de2face22d4973b53e4b54bef9_small.jpg

By Paphamon Arayasukawat

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Internal Trade has asked shopping malls and retail stores to stock up on necessary goods to meet consumer demand as the third Covid-19 outbreak remains volatile.

Department Director-General Wattanasak Sur-iam said the department wants to make sure there are enough goods, notably rice, dry and frozen food, canned food and drinking water, for sale at supermarkets as people may increase their purchases during the ongoing outbreak.

He said consumers are likely to buy and stock up on food and other necessary products as they try to avoid leaving their home to reduce the chance of contracting the contagious virus. Meanwhile, wholesalers and retailers confirmed that there are enough products for sale so customers don’t need to hoard.

The Director-General said the department also asked operators of online food delivery platforms, which are expected to receive more purchase orders, not to increase their service prices.

nnt.jpg

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said consumers are likely to buy and stock up on food and other necessary products as they try to avoid leaving their home

And they will increase their prices for more profit .

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Director-General said the department also asked operators of online food delivery platforms, which are expected to receive more purchase orders, not to increase their service prices.

Following the hotel price increase debacle , I have little faith that will be observed !

• Like 1

The entire reasoning of the minister's request doesn't make sense to me...do people eat or drink more during a pandemic...if not, it seems stocking the normal level of goods should be more than sufficient. I remember early in the pandemic of the panic buying of goods, especially household cleaning products and paper goods in the West leading to empty shelves while in Thailand such goods were never in short supply. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Next will be banks requested, due to falling baht, to replace all 100 and 500 baht notes in ATMs nationwide with 1000 baht notes only

I have never come across an ATM that gives anything other than 1,000 Baht notes? 

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The entire reasoning of the minister's request doesn't make sense to me...do people eat or drink more during a pandemic...if not, it seems stocking the normal level of goods should be more than sufficient. I remember early in the pandemic of the panic buying of goods, especially household cleaning products and paper goods in the West leading to empty shelves while in Thailand such goods were never in short supply. 

Condoms and alcohol.

7/11 stocked up.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

About time Makro stocked up with Cumberland Sausages again; haven't had any for three months and they are only made in Bangkok !   The wheels turn slowly in Thailand.

Those things are not real cumberlands anyway. They put sodium nitrate in it which no self-respecting butcher would do.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Not used many A.T.M.s have you, every 1 in this area, gives notes other than 1000 baht notes.

your lucky, most in my area seems to spend most of their time "out of service". Luckily for my my wife doesn't ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Those things are not real cumberlands anyway. They put sodium nitrate in it which no self-respecting butcher would do.

Now available in your local 9/13

Freshly made every 2 years.

A1ED8AD9-BEC5-4AEC-9D1E-56486D3F4AB0_4_5005_c.jpeg

Just now, Excel said:

your lucky, most in my area seems to spend most of their time "out of service". Luckily for my my wife doesn't ????

Send her to me.

Must be a burden to see "out of service" written on it.

Have you seen a Dr?

Makro Samsen was almost empty today. Had checkout people calling customers to open lanes.

I will say they did seem to be stocking up. Many of the isles were closed off for forklift manoeuvres, while others were clogged up with pallets of goods to be shelfed. 

2 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Makro Samsen was almost empty today. Had checkout people calling customers to open lanes.

I will say they did seem to be stocking up. Many of the isles were closed off for forklift manoeuvres, while others were clogged up with pallets of goods to be shelfed. 

Thanks for the update.

Have you seen if they were stocking up on the "Jamaican face cream I usually use? 

Regards,

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Department of Internal Trade has asked shopping malls and retail stores to stock up on necessary goods to meet consumer demand as the third Covid-19 outbreak remains volatile.

I didn't realise the outbreak increases ones appetite?

5 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

This is a prelude to a national lockdown to be announced soon?

That would be my guess too, plus curfew. Prayut has now taken all the relevant powers for himself so something big must be about to happen. 

On 4/27/2021 at 12:15 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Because a respiratory virus causes the runs?

"COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. 

Most common symptoms:-  fever, dry cough, tiredness
Less common symptoms:- aches and pains, sore throat, diarrhoea, conjunctivitis, headache, loss of taste or smell, a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes."