Reasonable affordable wine find.

DaLa

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

Lucky man, as I was only just informed of the Tesco Lotus clearance of wines yesterday, so shot along to my big local Tesco Lotus store and managed to pick up just a few bottles left, for a friend of mine, but I did see my favourite sweet dessert wine, the Moscatel de Valencia on special at 225 baht (as you say) so I bought the last three bottles of that.

I previously bought the Châteauneuf du Papes on special at 875 baht, but even for that price it was a poor example (IMO) of what that wine should be like, however I'm wondering what the Margaux will be reduced to, as would like to try it.

Will have to pay a few visits to keep an eye on this!

MARGAUX 2016 is 830 baht. That is the reduced price.

Sold in the UK for £22.  https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/295163689

It's the most expensive option other than Champagne. 

Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2017 goes for £18: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254092414

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

Lucky man, as I was only just informed of the Tesco Lotus clearance of wines yesterday, so shot along to my big local Tesco Lotus store and managed to pick up just a few bottles left, for a friend of mine, but I did see my favourite sweet dessert wine, the Moscatel de Valencia on special at 225 baht (as you say) so I bought the last three bottles of that.

I previously bought the Châteauneuf du Papes on special at 875 baht, but even for that price it was a poor example (IMO) of what that wine should be like, however I'm wondering what the Margaux will be reduced to, as would like to try it.

Will have to pay a few visits to keep an eye on this!

Reds I noted were the  Margaux 2016 (830 baht), a Faugeres(435 baht perhaps), Medoc(235 baht), Marlborough as above.

Really bought the cheaper wines for cooking more than anything else. But I can try them at the same time. If good, some might go down with food, as opposed to just in the food.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Reds I noted were the  Margaux 2016 (830 baht), a Faugeres(435 baht perhaps), Medoc(235 baht), Marlborough as above.

Really bought the cheaper wines for cooking more than anything else. But I can try them at the same time. If good, some might go down with food, as opposed to just in the food.

Give the Faugeres a try on its own, because it's not a bad wine, and at one time I was particularly fond of the wines of Roussillon with their fruitiness and use of a couple of grapes I also like.

As for the Marlborough Pinot Noir, well I have said it enough times that despite many New Zealanders waxing lyrical about their Pinot Noirs, I am not a fan, and I am a New Zealander, and have tasted the wines and toured that area.

Very average would be my rating, and far too light and uninteresting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Give the Faugeres a try on its own, because it's not a bad wine, and at one time I was particularly fond of the wines of Roussillon with their fruitiness and use of a couple of grapes I also like.

As for the Marlborough Pinot Noir, well I have said it enough times that despite many New Zealanders waxing lyrical about their Pinot Noirs, I am not a fan, and I am a New Zealander, and have tasted the wines and toured that area.

Correction............Languedoc-Roussillon  (me being lazy!).

I watched ' Travels with my father ' on netflix and the father said ' What has Australia given us , Mel Gibson , boxed wine and the didgery ....kin do.'.

Ah but I bought a bottle of Mcguigan's Black Label Sauvignon Blanc yesterday and I think it is very ok. 550 B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I didn't buy the Faugeres , as I was somewhat put off by the reviews: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/295163862#review-data

Though vivino seems to like it: https://www.vivino.com/tesco-finest-faugeres/w/6413266#all_reviews

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Picked up another bottle today:

spacer.png

315 baht

https://www.internationalwinechallenge.com/canopy/beverage_details?wid=135114

Can I ask where did you find that - Lotus on Suk?

The one on Pattaya Nua has very little left (certainly none of that Rioja) other than the Tesco Vintage Champagne at 990 baht a bottle - which if it is any good should be a real bargain here.

• 11 months later...

Always worth checking as you never know what bargains around. Spotted these beauties in my local Tesco today. Bought both the bottles of Suncraft just because they were 14 degrees. Left the Hardys for any other fortunate who might be passing. 

wine.jpg

• Like 2