Significant progress reported in AstraZeneca vaccine production in Thailand

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You really think they tried ?? Knowing them they didn't try hard enough because they thought they had everything under controle and wanted to show off they where the best kid in class in controlling the virus . My geuss is they didn't take the ordering the vaccine part serious enough . That's why they are in the back of the line(classroom) now . And now they are waiting (putting all their eggs) for locally produced vaccines so they can safe ( pocket) a .... load of baht . 

You seem to be ignoring the fact that countries which are manufacturing vaccines are keeping that vaccine for themselves.

If you cant get your hands on vaccines what options do you have?

Build your own facility to make vaccines perhaps?

Just now, Rookiescot said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that countries which are manufacturing vaccines are keeping that vaccine for themselves.

If you cant get your hands on vaccines what options do you have?

Build your own facility to make vaccines perhaps?

The only country doing that is india the others have contracts so need to deliver. Same as thailand producing the astrazeneca cannot keep all to themselfs . Perhaps ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

The only country doing that is india the others have contracts so need to deliver. Same as thailand producing the astrazeneca cannot keep all to themselfs . Perhaps ? 

The UK, EU, India and the USA have all been engaging in vaccine nationalism. Guess where the bulk of vaccinations are manufactured?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

They failed miserably, that is clear, they didn't even bother to register with WHO for the covac distribution.

If Thailand registers with the WHO scheme for vaccine distribution it might find itself having to hand over most of the vaccines that will be manufactured here to other countries with a higher number of cases.

Cant see the Thai government being overly keen on that idea. 

45 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If Thailand registers with the WHO scheme for vaccine distribution it might find itself having to hand over most of the vaccines that will be manufactured here to other countries with a higher number of cases.

Cant see the Thai government being overly keen on that idea. 

The Government has no option.

"Thanathorn stated Siam Bioscience had been tasked with manufacturing 200 million doses of the vaccine per year, 176 million of which will be sold to other countries in the region."

Thailand is not the Owner of the vaccines, AZ is, so Thailand has to order like everyone else. Nothing to do with cases, it is to do with when you joined the queue for the vaccine.

Source : https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30401777

SB is definitely part of the solution...but not THE solution.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

Incorrect. They didn't get the AZ deliveries that should have started in Feb so had to get what was available at the time so they could make a start.

Obviously the view on this forum is they  should have waited for AZ to meet their obligation rather than get some from China. The local AZ has always been scheduled to start in June and very unlikely the outstanding AZ order will be delivered before then.

Where was the AZ order coming from? If from SII in India, it will be ages before that can happen.

10 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Maybe , but you cannot denie that they should have ordered them when they thought they had everything under controle then your qeustion of where would have been answered . 

Maybe a standard contract feature of vaccine sales should be that vaccines not used within a certain time should be return to producer for redistribution. End the hoarding.

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

You cannot pick and choose, you will only get what the vaccine decides to give you.

You can only hope that probability works in your favour, it would be a personal choice between some chance of protection now or waiting to make a choice further down the line. I am not advocating one way or the other.

If I am prepared to pay, which I am, then of course I can choose. If the hospital is giving a vaccine I don't want such as Sinovac, I will simply look for a hospital that is giving me a vaccine that will give me peace of mind such Pfizer, Johnson, AZ etc.

I am reasonable quick off the mark, but I am not seeing where you are coming from with this?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Covax scheme has nothing to do with handing over vaccines, its to do with receiving vaccines. https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

Even some developed countries including New Zealand and Singapore joined under the self financing scheme.

Anyway, too late now they missed the boat on that one too..................

They didn't miss the boat. They turned it down. Interesting reasons given.

5 hours ago, placnx said:

Where was the AZ order coming from? If from SII in India, it will be ages before that can happen.

I believe it was to come from the EU, but was embargo because of the EU crisis. There was also a report that AZ was pulling back from dealing with Thailand because of human rights issues. Not sure what became of that. It may have been BS, but it was reported.

13 hours ago, placnx said:

The one and only delivery I believe came from South Korea.

The original order was with AZ in Europe but that may well have been reallocated to India. The Thai government have said several times that it is not expected before local production starts.

The other order for 35 million direct from AZ is not expected till the end of the year and I think the J&J vaccine is in the same timeframe.

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

If I am prepared to pay, which I am, then of course I can choose. If the hospital is giving a vaccine I don't want such as Sinovac, I will simply look for a hospital that is giving me a vaccine that will give me peace of mind such Pfizer, Johnson, AZ etc.

I am reasonable quick off the mark, but I am not seeing where you are coming from with this?

You misunderstood what I meant.

"You cannot pick and choose, you will only get what the vaccine decides to give you."

If the vaccine is not going to protect you, picking and choosing is of no benefit.

My nephew and his wife have both had both shots of AZ and they have both contracted covid, should they have chosen another vaccine, not that they had that option. Only question now is severity.

Yes you can hope that probability will work in your favour, but it is not a given. Given the timescale on deliveries, choice will be extremely limited over the next 6 months.

14 hours ago, placnx said:

Maybe a standard contract feature of vaccine sales should be that vaccines not used within a certain time should be return to producer for redistribution. End the hoarding.

Vaccination after this year will go on and will need to be done every year so there cannot be any real hoarding (i understand what you mean ) . But this time you should get what you can .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Vaccination after this year will go on and will need to be done every year so there cannot be any real hoarding (i understand what you mean ) . But this time you should get what you can .

I'm concerned about viable vaccines such as AZ going to waste. Of course it should be a concern - how the AZ is doing countering the double-mutant variant in India. If the double-mutant is evading AZ protection, AZ should update their vaccine now at every production site.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:14 AM, vandeventer said:

I think I will wait for the Sputnik v. Have they ordered it yet? But I guess any vaccine is better than the Chinese one.

Scientists back Brazil's move to ban import of Russian "Sputnik V" COVID vaccine

Scientists have backed the Brazilian drug regulator's decision to stop the import of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, on the basis that batches they tested carried a live version of a common cold-causing virus. Top virologist Angela Rasmussen told AFP the finding "raises questions about the integrity of the manufacturing processes" and could be a safety issue for people with weaker immune systems if the problem were found to be widespread.

Scientists back Brazil's move to ban import of Russian "Sputnik V" COVID vaccine - CBS News

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Scientists back Brazil's move to ban import of Russian "Sputnik V" COVID vaccine

Scientists have backed the Brazilian drug regulator's decision to stop the import of Russia's Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, on the basis that batches they tested carried a live version of a common cold-causing virus. Top virologist Angela Rasmussen told AFP the finding "raises questions about the integrity of the manufacturing processes" and could be a safety issue for people with weaker immune systems if the problem were found to be widespread.

Scientists back Brazil's move to ban import of Russian "Sputnik V" COVID vaccine - CBS News

On the other hand, it probably won't be the version manufactured in Russia that makes its way to Thailand. It's been licensed to manufacturers in other countries.

On 4/29/2021 at 5:22 AM, Jingthing said:

You've heard of Operation Warp Speed?

Thailand's program might be called Operation Wet Noodle.

The amazing thing is no reports from Astra yet about addressing the concerns about problems with the Noodle mixture. 

On 5/2/2021 at 3:53 AM, placeholder said:

On the other hand, it probably won't be the version manufactured in Russia that makes its way to Thailand. It's been licensed to manufacturers in other countries.

And you should post the whole article, the virus used has been geneticly modified so it does not cause any problems. 

The lancet has published 2 reports on the Sputnik 5 vaccine and it is testing to be the safest. 

India has just received a donation of the vaccine from Russia and they will recieve a lot more doses in the next few months. 

RT news, Rnz news. 

• Like 1