Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

the unvaccinated farang will be sitting ducks when the tourists start arriving

Thinking the exact same thing......likewise......if they rush to open up the rest of Thailand, which looks likely, before expats get a jabbed 'our' death rate could be quite high.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yeah, I can see it now in a few months time when Pattaya opens up. My mates from England and Canada will return, fully-vaccinated of course, and will want to meet up for a beer or five. But, of course, I will  just have to cower unvaccinated in my house, afraid they might be carrying Covid asymptomatically due to the vaccine. So the great city of Pattaya will return to normal for vaccinated Thais and tourists, but vulnerable expats will be forced to self-isolate until the government sees fit to allow us to get the dregs of their vaccine supplies, or the private hospitals get their act together. And given what a mess they've all made of it so far this year, I wouldn't put money on either one happening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Yeah, I can see it now in a few months time when Pattaya opens up. My mates from England and Canada will return, fully-vaccinated of course, and will want to meet up for a beer or five. But, of course, I will just have to cower unvaccinated in my house, afraid they might be carrying Covid asymptomatically due to the vaccine. So the great city of Pattaya will return to normal for vaccinated Thais and tourists, but vulnerable expats will be forced to self-isolate until the government sees fit to allow us to get the dregs of their vaccine supplies, or the private hospitals get their act together. And given what a mess they've all made of it so far this year, I wouldn't put money on either one happening.

First post was better.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree.

As I have said in the past, it only takes one elderly retiree to die from covid here, and for his family back home to go to the media about how expat retirees here are being left exposed to covid, due to their nationality, and it will make global news for all the wrong reasons.   

The clock is ticking on their policy of pushing elderly foreigners to the back of the queue here. 

On 6/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, Jingthing said:

Well, the effect is definitely that we're up the creek without a paddle. However, I'm not at the level of knowing all of the reasons and motivations for this total excrement show. It would be funny if it is wasn't real.  Is it possible that the intentions aren't as bad as you suggest but rather it's a just a series of unfortunate events?

Yea sure it's all one big accident....Kinda like the online 90 day reporting that took years and years and years for it even to work a little bit sometimes, that was just a unfortunate accident too...........

Edited by redwood1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree.

As I have said in the past, it only takes one elderly retiree to die from covid here, and for his family back home to go to the media about how expat retirees here are being left exposed to covid, due to their nationality, and it will make global news for all the wrong reasons.   

The clock is ticking on their policy of pushing elderly foreigners to the back of the queue here. 

Who will care about the 'global news'?

What's it gonna do, stop tourists coming......oh hold on a minute, that's already happened!

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Who will care about the 'global news'?

What's it gonna do, stop tourists coming......oh hold on a minute, that's already happened!

Thailand is reactionary, rather than proactive.

Anything that "tarnishes" Thailand's image get their attention.

If one, or a few elderly expats were to die of covid here, and their family went to the media, it would hasten the vaccination of expats here.  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

If one, or a few elderly expats were to die of covid here, and their family went to the media, it would hasten the vaccination of expats here. 

Sorry, can't stop laughing at this - you really think so.

Perhaps they might lie about it but in reality i'm sure nothing would change.

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sorry, can't stop laughing at this - you really think so.

Perhaps they might lie about it but in reality i'm sure nothing would change.

It would be a loss of face for them on the world stage, especially with some media spin.  

Just now, Leaver said:

It would be a loss of face for them on the world stage, especially with some media spin.  

Coz they've never lost face before with bad publicity??

Think Koh Tao, 2 british back packers...

Think Red Bull son, slicing in 1/2 a policeman...

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Coz they've never lost face before with bad publicity??

Think Koh Tao, 2 british back packers...

Think Red Bull son, slicing in 1/2 a policeman...

Arrests were made in the Koh Tao case, most likely innocent scapegoats, due to global media pressure, which proves my point.

When it comes to negative publicity in relation to Thailand's tourist areas, especially when people have died, they will act. 

Unfortunately, it usually takes people to die, and the media to be involved, before they act. 

The clock is ticking.  The longer they hold off on vaccinating elderly foreigners here, the more chance of mass deaths among that demographic, and the negative publicity that comes with it, particularly as there are racial overtones to policy.  

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Thailand is reactionary, rather than proactive.

Anything that "tarnishes" Thailand's image get their attention.

Sir you need to look no further than the tightening of the O-A visa during Covid to see what they think of farangs.....Vaccinations are just to hard but visa tightening no problem......I really don't think they want farangs here much at all....Rich or poor....

Edited by redwood1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Arrests were made in the Koh Tao case, most likely innocent scapegoats, due to global media pressure, which proves my point.

Therefore a loss of face, right?

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The clock is ticking.  The longer they hold off on vaccinating elderly foreigners here, the more chance of mass deaths among that demographic, and the negative publicity that comes with it, particularly as there are racial overtones to policy

I don't think they'll ever get vaccinated here, i think most of the expats will need to go home to get the vaccine ( if they want it ).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I don't think they'll ever get vaccinated here, i think most of the expats will need to go home to get the vaccine ( if they want it ).

That's probably true in the coming months, but too negative in the long run. Globally, vaccine production is ramping up exponentially and a year or 18 months from now there might well be a surplus. Hospitals in Thailand will be selling you your vaccine of choice at an appropriate gouging markup, something they're pretty good at doing. The problem facing many of us is how to safely get from now until such time as we reach a state of vaccine plenty. Going back home is indeed Plan B, though I haven't worked out yet what exactly will cause me to trigger that option rather than just try and sit things out here. An uncontrolled outbreak of the Indian variant or something similar, hospitals overwhelmed and patients dying in their car parks, funeral pyres in the streets outside the temples, and bodies washing up on the beaches would be enough, but I'd like to think I can finesse things and make a wise decision before we get to that point. .  

Another bit of vague (as usual) news about Pattaya vaccinations.  The original news release completely slipped by me becuase I'm just getting jaded with all the so-called news releases by officials, but here goes for those of you unaware of the latest:

The city of Pattay has ordered 100,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine from the Chulabhorn Royal Academy, according to the Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume.

He says that 50,000 people will be vaccinated (the population of Pattaya that are over the age of 19 and thus eligible to receive the vaccine is around 80,000 people).

According to the Mayor...“Registration for the vaccines will be online as well as paper registration in local communities.”...but of course no website link was provided in the news release, nor was an explanation given of what is meant by "paper registration in local communities."

(so typical LOL!)

And it should go without even saying, how this pertains to foreigners was not mentioned.  

In other words, this news (in Thai parlance) "Same-Same" as far as any of us expats are concerned. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

...The clock is ticking.  The longer they hold off on vaccinating elderly foreigners here, the more chance of mass deaths among that demographic, and the negative publicity that comes with it, particularly as there are racial overtones to policy.  ...

There is no doubt that foreigners are being (unofficially) discriminated against in terms of priority of vaccination.  However, when you really think about it, that is a completely illogical policy, and actually places everybody (including Thai nationals) at greater risk of infection!

When you really think about it, the real intent of vaccinations is not to protect the individual, but rather to protect the entire population as a whole. 

Every single unvaccinated person that becomes infected, regardless of their nationality, is just one more person that can spread the virus to the population as a whole. 

Nationality should have nothing whatsoever to do with who gets vaccinated first.  Having such a policy (whether it is official or unwritten) just places more people (including Thai nationals ) at risk.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Therefore a loss of face, right?

Those experienced with Thailand will know the way they handle things here, but to the rest of the viewing world, they will appear to have got their man.

18 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I disagree.

Eventually foreigners will be vaccinated here.   The question is, will foreigners need to die in order to get that demographic ahead of less vulnerable Thai's in the queue, and what vaccine will it be.?   

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Those experienced with Thailand will know the way they handle things here, but to the rest of the viewing world, they will appear to have got their man.

I disagree.

Eventually foreigners will be vaccinated here.   The question is, will foreigners need to die in order to get that demographic ahead of less vulnerable Thai's in the queue, and what vaccine will it be.?   

I think any foriegners that are genuinely concerned about their well being will return to the montherland to get vaccinated ( if they can afford it ), at least you can make a fixed plan if you take that option rather than waiting until who know's in thailand.

8 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

There is no doubt that foreigners are being (unofficially) discriminated against in terms of priority of vaccination.  However, when you really think about it, that is a completely illogical policy, and actually places everybody (including Thai nationals) at greater risk of infection!

When you really think about it, the real intent of vaccinations is not to protect the individual, but rather to protect the entire population as a whole. 

Every single unvaccinated person that becomes infected, regardless of their nationality, is just one more person that can spread the virus to the population as a whole. 

Nationality should have nothing whatsoever to do with who gets vaccinated first.  Having such a policy (whether it is official or unwritten) just places more people (including Thai nationals ) at risk.

I accept what you say, but the simple reality is, it mainly kills the elderly, and people with pre existing health conditions. 

Therefore, regardless of nationality, these people should be vaccinated sooner, rather than later.   

Covid deaths in a country are covid deaths in that country, which shows that particular country's government's inability to initially deal with the spread, and in the latter stages of the pandemic, their inability to quickly vaccinate the population.   

On 6/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, Surelynot said:

We are already sitting ducks from the largely untested and unvaccinated population around us and remain so.

Far less risk from fully tested and vaccinated future visiting tourists than the people next to you in every day life right now.

Even vaccinated would question the sanity of a tourist who would risk visiting a country where the vast majority of people have not been tested for Covid and have been discouraged from doing so and where the vaccination role out is minimal and vaccine numbers quoted based on the first jab only!

Holiday of a lifetime in Thailand with a free gift of Covid 19 for you and your family!

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I think any foriegners that are genuinely concerned about their well being will return to the montherland to get vaccinated ( if they can afford it ), at least you can make a fixed plan if you take that option rather than waiting until who know's in thailand.

I have a friend in the UK eager to get back to Thailand. 

Out of curiosity, I am currently making enquiries if somehow he is able to transport a set of vaccines for me.  I don't expect any joy, and I am not doing this out of fear, just a few emails and calls to see if it is possible.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have a friend in the UK eager to get back to Thailand. 

Out of curiosity, I am currently making enquiries if somehow he is able to transport a set of vaccines for me.  I don't expect any joy, and I am not doing this out of fear, just a few emails and calls to see if it is possible.  

The problem is how to document it if you get some transported here, who confirms you've been injected with it.

My ONLY reason for wanting the vaccine to make travelling easier. that's it.

46 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I accept what you say, but the simple reality is, it mainly kills the elderly, and people with pre existing health conditions. 

Therefore, regardless of nationality, these people should be vaccinated sooner, rather than later.   

Covid deaths in a country are covid deaths in that country, which shows that particular country's government's inability to initially deal with the spread, and in the latter stages of the pandemic, their inability to quickly vaccinate the population.   

I agree with you but am just stating it in a roundabout way.  The logical emphasis emphasis should make those most likely to be infected (the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions) regardless of nationality, and then the rest of the population.  Discriminating against nationality (i.e.: allowing any Thai that is not elderly or with pre-existing conditions to be vaccinated before a foreigner with those conditions) just puts the entire population at risk. 

22 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The problem is how to document it if you get some transported here, who confirms you've been injected with it.

My ONLY reason for wanting the vaccine to make travelling easier. that's it.

Sure, but I will look into if there is a problem with a double dose.  

Like I said, it's just a brief enquiry to see if it's possible.  It's not my vaccine strategy.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I just got an email today from Pattaya Memorial Hospital telling me that booking the Moderna vaccine for October has been halted.  No reason given in the email.  Booking was not suppose to close until June 27.  

Probably something to do with having a line of over 500 people waiting to register every morning? It's a temporary suspension. Two private hospitals in Udon Thani had exactly the same issues last month and suspended registrations until they have confirmation of how many doses they'll get. Sounds logical to me. People happily sign up (and make deposits) all the time for cars that the dealership doesn't have in stock and no clue when they will arrive.

As for those that here that see foreigners as being discriminated against, none of the hospitals offering online or walk-in registration are demanding Thai-only or farangs with pink cards only. They are even allowing people who are not registered there to sign up. Meanwhile, back in the UK, one needs to be registered with a doctor who signs you up and gets you on the vaccination schedule.

Too much whining here by foreigners who can't do things or work things out for themselves. Blame the locals for everything and then blame their embassies for ignoring them while not lifting a finger to find out exactly what can be done. Just fire up the computer, read about the latest false-start or vaccination delay and launch into their morning tirade in the 'they don't like us' affirmation echo chambers of ThaiVisa. Sad.

So far six of my mates have managed to either get their first shot or will get it next week. They variously stay in Udon, Bangkok and Pattaya. They were focused on finding out for themselves what was available and what was needed. One of them is on three registrations with three different hospitals in three different cities but will take whatever comes up first.

As for the rest of you, here's your report card.

4/10

Must try harder.

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Probably something to do with having a line of over 500 people waiting to register every morning? It's a temporary suspension. Two private hospitals in Udon Thani had exactly the same issues last month and suspended registrations until they have confirmation of how many doses they'll get. Sounds logical to me. People happily sign up (and make deposits) all the time for cars that the dealership doesn't have in stock and no clue when they will arrive.

As for those that here that see foreigners as being discriminated against, none of the hospitals offering online or walk-in registration are demanding Thai-only or farangs with pink cards only. They are even allowing people who are not registered there to sign up. Meanwhile, back in the UK, one needs to be registered with a doctor who signs you up and gets you on the vaccination schedule.

Too much whining here by foreigners who can't do things or work things out for themselves. Blame the locals for everything and then blame their embassies for ignoring them while not lifting a finger to find out exactly what can be done. Just fire up the computer, read about the latest false-start or vaccination delay and launch into their morning tirade in the 'they don't like us' affirmation echo chambers of ThaiVisa. Sad.

So far six of my mates have managed to either get their first shot or will get it next week. They variously stay in Udon, Bangkok and Pattaya. They were focused on finding out for themselves what was available and what was needed. One of them is on three registrations with three different hospitals in three different cities but will take whatever comes up first.

As for the rest of you, here's your report card.

4/10

Must try harder.

I call B.S.

How can I get a vaccine soon in Pattaya?

There is no way.

Yes there was before mor phrom with pink cards but registration using that has ended and most expats need to use passports anyway.

Thailandintervac.com never had Pattaya and its been down for days anyway.

No, expats with passports can't just walk in here to hospitals and get vaccines on the spot or registered for vaccines soon.

Even if they're high risk, even if the hospital has their records.

Getting on a list for October is an entirely different kettle of fish.

October is a long ways off from now.

It's June now.

I think you're just here to insult people that want vaccines in Pattaya soon and have hit a brick wall.

I find that deplorable.

If you have practical information to share related to Pattaya that can actually help people  get vaccines here, please let us know. Otherwise you and anyone else that is here only to insult people trying to get vaccinated in Pattaya please do not post here. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2