Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Better if people just stop posting off topic here or if they're not really interested, ignore the topic.

Just because there is no local option here right now doesn’t mean options won't appear later.

Surely eventually they will and when they do helpful details can be posted here.

There isn't a time-line on that.

Days, weeks, months, or years.

Who knows?

I think probably months. 

32 pages discovering nothing more than what we knew on page 1, yet, you offend members who digress a little. 

Get a grip man.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

32 pages discovering nothing more than what we knew on page 1, yet, you offend members who digress a little. 

Get a grip.

I couldn't have predicted back then how little actual progress we would have by now, just as I can't predict future progress or no progress. The point is to keep track of it and when there is even a little nibble of REAL possibility for local expat registration, try to broadcast that sort of information. 

I'll ignore your personal attack. I consider it worthless. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I couldn't have predicted back then how little actual progress we would have by now, just as I can't predict future progress or no progress. The point is to keep track of it and when there is even a little nibble of REAL possibility for local expat registration, try to broadcast that sort of information. 

I'll ignore your personal attack. I consider it worthless. 

It's not a personal attack.

Just saying, some posts may digress because there is little by way of REAL policy and procedure for vaccinating expats here.  By that very fact, should the thread wander a little to discuss why that may be the case, I don't see a problem with it.

The thread can get back to complying with said Thai policy and procedure for expats being vaccinated here when one REALLY exists, because to date, and 32 pages later, it's quite clear to all of us no REAL working policy currently exists, something that you have agree with in previous posts.   

Seriously, 2 week from now, and 50 pages on, with still no expats being vaccinated here, what is the discussion to be?  Then, 2 months from now the same.  

I'm suggesting to allow some latitude on the matter.

Edited by Leaver

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

I got so bored and frustrated with this nonsense that I even spent a while browsing the British Consular Information site. This was posted by the Consular Team and just confirms what we've already concluded for ourselves:

"We also understand that the the Thai government has said that Covid 19 Vaccines will only be offered to Thai nationals at this time.

The UK Ambassador is raising this as a matter of urgency with the Prime Minister, as well as the Minister of Health. He is asking for clarity on the government policy and for equal access to vaccines for all residents of Thailand, Thai or foreign. Again, we will update the Forum when there is any new information."

That was posted on May 5th. There was an update six days later:

"We promised an update on this. Since this post our Ambassador has spoken to the Thai Prime Minister about this issue, and the Prime Minister has re-confirmed Thailand’s commitment to equal access to vaccines for all living in Thailand, including British Nationals. We are in constant discussions with the Ministry of Public Health in follow-up."

And that, more or less, is that. They started a "vaccine bulletin" which you can sign up to receive, and I have in the vague (and almost certainly vain) hope that somebody senior in Westminster might do something positive like the French have done.

So there we have it, the different ways for an expat to get a vaccine in Pattaya:

• Wait until one or other of the official websites/apps actually starts working and allows reservations to be made (probably a serious risk of dying from old age if you depend on this one).
  • Wait until one or other of the private hospitals offers reservations for the Moderna vaccine again, then make sure your elbows are nice and sharp and join the non-socially distanced scrum to sign up.
  • Hope against hope that your government sees sense or takes pity and sends some vaccines (cue somebody singing "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha, lol.)

Pretty much agree with your summation except I would put your last bullet point at the top of the list if your home country has a surplus inventory of vaccines.  I have very little faith that expats will receive vaccinations through the Thai public rollout anytime this year, based on the shoddy handling of something as simple as expat registration to date.  There is no reason that expats should not have been able to at least register by now.  

So I would put public rollout at the bottom of your list.  Private hospitals are a good option since the private sector is usually much more efficient at bringing products to market (that's all this vaccine really is...a product).  However, the way Pattaya Memorial Hospital has handled this so far is about as shoddy as the InterVac registration has been, so I'm pretty wary of that option now.

I hope I'm wrong but I now see this as a near-crisis for expats in Pattaya, unless other home governments do what China and France have done, and in one way or another, come to the aid of their expat citizens here.

We can NOT wait until next year to be vaccinated, considering the new dangers of the Delta and now the Delta+ variants which are growing exponentially all around the world!

Thailand reported the first instance of the Delta variant in Bangkok last month and up to now it has spread to 20 provinces with over 660 cases recorded.   

The WHO recently stated that the Delta variant is the fastest and fittest coronavirus strain that will "pick off" the most vulnerable people.  Its'  rate of infections is 40% faster compared with the Alpha variant, and it's estimated that worldwide it will represent 90% of infections before the end of the year.

This all makes vaccinations ASAP even more important, especially for those people in high risks groups.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Switzerlands embassy in Bangkok has secured AstraZeneca vaccination appointments for 20 of its citizens in a private hospital in Bangkok.
To register, Swiss citizens aged 60 and above can send their name, date of birth and passport number to [email protected]

Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis, the embassy said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Switzerlands embassy in Bangkok has secured AstraZeneca vaccination appointments for 20 of its citizens in a private hospital in Bangkok.
To register, Swiss citizens aged 60 and above can send their name, date of birth and passport number to [email protected]

Applications will be accepted on a first come first served basis, the embassy said.

Only 20?

Is that a typo,?

Interesting that the Swiss are not remaining neutral on helping their own nationals in Thailand.

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

There are 3 Swiss guys living in my village alone, 20 doses isn't going to make much difference across the whole country, lol!

It may well lead to bad blood too, the older and less-healthy people who need the vaccine the most are also the ones least likely to be watching the media constantly so as to pick up on this kind of announcement.

I was told October  was a likely  date for  vaccines to be available.

I was told the French have sent  vaccines over for French people.

My Thai  friends are full of stories  of people dieing after getting  the vaccine  and those  that were  enthusiastic  are now refusing.

If anybody can confirm or otherwise  please feel free to comment

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Guderian said:

There are 3 Swiss guys living in my village alone, 20 doses isn't going to make much difference across the whole country, lol!

It may well lead to bad blood too, the older and less-healthy people who need the vaccine the most are also the ones least likely to be watching the media constantly so as to pick up on this kind of announcement.

That low number does sound bizarre. Hard to believe even. If you're gonna do it, do it.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I was told October  was a likely  date for  vaccines to be available.

I was told the French have sent  vaccines over for French people.

My Thai  friends are full of stories  of people dieing after getting  the vaccine  and those  that were  enthusiastic  are now refusing.

If anybody can confirm or otherwise  please feel free to comment

Facebook scare mongering. 

At this point October sounds optimistic as far as overwhelming local vaccine access for expats. Possibly I suppose. First quarter next year may be more realistic. 

I do not have any interest in any program that chooses the vaccine for me. Undoubtedly it would end up being the Sinojunk. No thanks. If I cannot get the Pfizer or the Moderna, I will fly back to the US for it, as I need to get back anyway for some time, and I have no interest in having ineffective junk injected into my veins. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Facebook scare mongering. 

At this point October sounds optimistic as far as overwhelming local vaccine access for expats. Possibly I suppose. First quarter next year may be more realistic. 

My senior doctor at PBH said October.  Apart from  FB the two reports  I read of death of a  policeman  and a health  worker were on real news media. As for FB..I'm not in that rabbit hole  but most Thais are. I would take them Sinovac if I could get it

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

20 really ???

If the number is right, has to be some leftovers from embassy staff vaccination or something like that,, 

• Like 1

All the announcements I've seen from the private hospitals have said that they hope to receive Moderna in October or sometime thereafter. They're in the hands of the GPO which is sourcing the vaccine and will then distribute it, presumably in direct proportion to the thickness of the brown envelopes offered.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

All the announcements I've seen from the private hospitals have said that they hope to receive Moderna in October or sometime thereafter. They're in the hands of the GPO which is sourcing the vaccine and will then distribute it, presumably in direct proportion to the thickness of the brown envelopes offered.

I've seen December and January mentioned for Moderna and even that only half the doses will be available, so not looking good

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

Look on the bright side Jingthing and Wavehunter, the French government have just moved you up the Pattaya queue by a few thousand places without you having to lift a finger, plus the queue will be a bit quieter when you join it.

Yes, it must be quite a relief to be able to expect to get vaccinated in late May next year now, instead of in early June, lol!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Yes, it must be quite a relief to be able to expect to get vaccinated in late May next year now, instead of in early June, lol!

I hear you on that!  With the Delta and Delta+ variants rising as quickly as they are, unvaccinated people are gonna be in a whole heap of trouble before the end of this year.  IMO, All expats should have a worst scenario plan of returning to their home countries for vaccination before the end of this year, if they don't have a firm date for vaccination here in Thailand before that time.  I really am confident that major home countries with surplus vaccines are going to step up to the plate on behalf of their expat citizens but still it's better to be prepared for the worst instead of idly expecting the best.

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

Look on the bright side Jingthing and Wavehunter, the French government have just moved you up the Pattaya queue by a few thousand places without you having to lift a finger, plus the queue will be a bit quieter when you join it.

Or the French jumped the queue to be above them.....

The board will be a bit quieter when they join it....

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I hear you on that!  With the Delta and Delta+ variants rising as quickly as they are, unvaccinated people are gonna be in a whole heap of trouble before the end of this year.  IMO, All expats should have a worst scenario plan of returning to their home countries for vaccination before the end of this year, if they don't have a firm date for vaccination here in Thailand before that time.  I really am confident that major home countries with surplus vaccines are going to step up to the plate on behalf of their expat citizens but still it's better to be prepared for the worst instead of idly expecting the best.

Any and all options should now be considered.  

The longer Thailand's vaccination program progresses, the more obvious it becomes that potentially life saving medication is purposely being withheld from expats here, despite them being in the most vulnerable demographic for death, by virtue of age.  

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But the Dr, at BPH who has been vaccinated  along with  all the staff  there advises not to wait or choose but get the first  vaccine  you can when you  can as soon as possible if the chance arises

If only the chance would arise.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

The longer Thailand's vaccination program progresses, the more obvious it becomes that potentially life saving medication is purposely being withheld from expats here

I believe it is being withheld from Thais too..... Bangkok residents, and Phuket residents (to get ready for tourists) are being put first, along with military conscripts..... I don't think this is being broadcast, just totals of injected people, and that is not impressive either. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What are  your medical qualifications? I am no fan of China politics but there is nothing wrong with the Chinese vaccines in particular that has not been greatly exaggerated for political  reasons. The Oxford AZ vaccine is still  banned in the  USA because it's being distributed  at cost price, about 5 dollars. You might not want the Chinese  vaccine  but to call  it junk is ignorance.  Chinese science  and technology is some of the best  in the  world. No. I am not a  Sinophile but a realist. All the nurses  and Dr's at BPH have  had it. They are lucky.

Nope. Just read a letter yesterday by a doctor who checked her own antibodies 30 days after her 2nd shot of Sinojunk. Zero for Covid. Avoid it like the plague. Many studies have shown it offers dramatically less protection. And the most optimistic studies show only a 50% efficacy. 

Chinese technology may be very good, but this Vax is not. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Any and all options should now be considered.  

The longer Thailand's vaccination program progresses, the more obvious it becomes that potentially life saving medication is purposely being withheld from expats here, despite them being in the most vulnerable demographic for death, by virtue of age.  

I'm really not sure what the motive is for why expats are not being served well.  Thailand certainly has its' hands full with limited vaccine stockpile presently, and being overwhelmed with new clusters of outbreaks, especially around Bangkok...but I think the CCSA is being really disingenuous at not directly addressing expats and their legitimate and serious concerns, and instead only providing vague promises but no real facts.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it is being withheld from Thais too..... Bangkok residents, and Phuket residents (to get ready for tourists) are being put first, along with military conscripts..... I don't think this is being broadcast, just totals of injected people, and that is not impressive either. 

Again, let's not forget about the migrant workers, who do not seem to be getting vaccinated, even though they are the ones being locked up.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Don't know who for or what type, but looks like they are giving vaccines now on BR at Soi 6.  Not very crowded.

If not jabbed yet maybe stop by and see if you can get it.

16248582552255512428901821522610.jpg

Is it perhaps the same as another pic on here saying Blue House-book and Thai ID required?

Just now, TaaSaparot said:

Again, let's not forget about the migrant workers, who do not seem to be getting vaccinated, even though they are the ones being locked up.

Thank God all the employees at Army golf courses have been vaccinated.