Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

Here's a rub with the Phyathai 2 registration. 

It's for jabs during a two week period.

Vaccination Period: 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends)

If there is a travel ban starting tomorrow that may be for a two week period too.

So if you secure a time slot it may be during the travel ban period but it may be after it.

It will be random either way.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Passport only?

I'm assuming not.  

That would be a bar most expats here can't meet.

Needing a Thai accepted ID number such as pink card.

Navigating a Thai only app.

But please let us know how it works out.

Going further here is my opinion. The local Sinopharm program is not intended to be used by expats. So maybe you found a way to slip in but who knows what they'll say when you show up?

Use ID of 13 0's, maybe it will work maybe not. I've passed the first stage anyway, they can see my age and passport

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Use ID of 13 0's, maybe it will work maybe not. I've passed the first stage anyway, they can see my age and passport

I don't understand your answer. Could you have registered  with your passport number only or not?

So it sounds like you put in 13 0's for your Thai id. That's obviously bogus. Anyway good luck and kudos for testing their system. That's a kludge!

If another person puts in 13 0s maybe their system will reject as a dupe.

Some might characterize entering a fake ID number as a kind of fraud.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

There is no reason whatsoever to assume that travel restrictions will apply to those who have a medical appointment (including an appointment for vaccination.

Would that include people flying to the USA for a vaccine?

By "upcoming holiday weekend," do you mean 23-26 July?

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't understand your answer. Could you have registered  with your passport number only or not?

So it sounds like you put in 13 0's for your Thai id. That's obviously bogus. Anyway good luck and kudos for testing their system. That's a kludge!

If another person puts in 13 0s maybe their system will reject as a dupe.

Some might characterize entering a fake ID number as a kind of fraud.

it wants 13 digits so a passport number alone won't work. i recall another thread where someone registered and used 13 0's and it was fine and got a vaccine elsewhere, clearly they can see it isn't an actual ID. Wait for another vaccine next year maybe

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

it wants 13 digits so a passport number alone won't work. i recall another thread where someone registered and used 13 0's and it was fine and got a vaccine elsewhere, clearly they can see it isn't an actual ID. Wait for another vaccine next year maybe

Yes they can.

Third hand report from a very credible source.

Walk in AstraZeneca doses. 

Age 75 and over only.

PASSPORT ID ACCEPTED!

Bangkok 

Bang Sue Grand Station in Bangkok

Daily

9:30 to 6:00

Until July 18

Second dose appointments provided at site.

Note: I take no responsibility if you go to Bangkok and this doesn't work out for you.

As with everything here related to vaccines the situation is subject to change. Like they might run out of doses. Like they might decide to not accept expats after all.

So AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I will not be providing the source so don't ask.

I am well under age 75 so I won't be going there.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

Yes but this choice comes with consequences for people around those refusing to get vaccinated that need to be highlighted. And since you appeal for respect and tolerance I wonder why you then at the same time assume that we all fall well short of respecting vaccination choices? Seems contradictory of your own touted values... 

I'am fully aware of the consequences of not getting a vaccine, what effect does that have on others ?

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I'am fully aware of the consequences of not getting a vaccine, what effect does that have on others ?

If you get infected as an unvaccinated person you're more likely than a vaccinated person to infect others.

Variants can more easily develop with larger pools of unvaccinated people.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Would that include people flying to the USA for a vaccine?

By "upcoming holiday weekend," do you mean 23-26 July?

The restrictions being discussed are inter-provincial travel restrictions, not international travel restrictions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not assuming either way.

Again what about the taxi driver?

I don't know for a fact but I can't recall Grab ever being shut down during lockdowns (even though I've been pretty wary about using Grab all along, through the whole pandemic.)

Just now, WaveHunter said:

I don't know for a fact but I can't recall Grab ever being shut down during lockdowns (even though I've been pretty wary about using Grab all along, through the whole pandemic.)

How do you recommend getting to Bangkok then?

Yes but there's something else.

I've read that if you do wait a long time between AstraZeneca doses, your level of protection is increased considerably. 

So if you don’t get infected during the wait, the wait is beneficial. 

I've also heard the same thing, put another way...that getting your second dose too soon diminishes long-term efficacy.  Truth probably is that nobody knows for sure.  I mean, it's just been too soon for the statistics to prove it one way or another.

I've heard two weeks. If they do this there will almost definitely be travel restrictions. 

The point of my comment was that travel for a medical appointment or vaccination would be exempted from travel restrictions (according to that news story), just as was the case with past lockdowns.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

The point of my comment was that travel for a medical appointment or vaccination would be exempted from travel restrictions (according to that news story), just as was the case with past lockdowns.

For taxi drivers too?

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

How do you recommend getting to Bangkok then?

Renting a car is a safe option available. 

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently Phyathai 2 Hospital in Bangkok has run out of Moderna already

They never had any Moderna to begint with. How do you come to this conclusion?

12 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Thanks. Maybe I should have an exit strategy to get from Pattaya to Bangkok. 

Simple really...use a local taxi for about 1000 THB each way.  I use Tom's Taxi in Pattaya whenever I fly in or out of Suvarnabhumi, and they always provide excellent service.  You can book by email at [email protected] or on their website at www.tomtaxiservice.com/ 

You can also rent a car locally in Pattaya for the round trip (probably what I will do...just to feel safer with nobody but me in the car).

14 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I've also heard the same thing, put another way...that getting your second dose too soon diminishes long-term efficacy.  Truth probably is that nobody knows for sure.  I mean, it's just been too soon for the statistics to prove it one way or another.

Small correction - there is solid scientific evidence out there that extending the duration for both Sinovac and Astra Zeneca increases the efficacy considerably and the manufacturers guidelines haven been adjusted to reflect that as well as the rollout regimes in several countries.  

7 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Small correction - there is solid scientific evidence out there that extending the duration for both Sinovac and Astra Zeneca increases the efficacy considerably and the manufacturers guidelines haven been adjusted to reflect that as well as the rollout regimes in several countries.  

I think there is a strong scientific basis for assuming that from drug trials but until that can statistically be determined from seeing how many vaccinated people are re-infected with the Delta variant, nobody can say for certain. 

Long-range efficacy studies take a lot longer than has passed since the vaccines were introduced, and Delta puts a whole new spin on things as well.

Best bet is just to follow the directions from those administering it, and just plan to get a booster (third shot) in the future to play it safe.  That's my plan anyway. 

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They ran out of reservation slots for Moderna shots that will be delivered in a few months..  not that they had any to begin with. Just wanna clarify this as I have more and more friends who tell me they prefer to wait for Moderna not realizing that it hasn't even ordered yet in the first place which will be done after all the deposits have been collected.

5 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

They ran out of reservation slots for Moderna shots that will be delivered in a few months..  not that they had any to begin with. Just wanna clarify this as I have more and more friends who tell me they prefer to wait for Moderna not realizing that it hasn't even ordered yet in the first place which will be done after all the deposits have been collected.

Just my opinion but nobody should wait for anything.  My way of thinking is to get the first vaccine you can get jabbed with, and then later get re-vaccinated with a Western vaccine if you're concerned about the efficacy of something like SinoVac.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I successfully registered for Sinopharm today using the QR code I posted earlier. Needs to be completed in Thai, if completed in English will be rejected. Will be in Pattaya, don't know when, presumably they will SMS me nearer the time but I've seen the registration confirmation

Screenshot_2021-06-28-12-45-01-881_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

What hospital is this from anyway?

This says you must have a Pattaya house registration so not sure how helpful that will be for most expats if it means you must have a yellow book.

Also, when clicking through I get the telltale sign of a screwed up or expired vaccination registration scheme I'm afraid (see screenshot)

IMG_1604.thumb.png.b5d1e9512f0d5bd52326430b03342486.png

Glad for you if it actually worked and you actually receive a appointment date, but from what I'm seeing, I'm not very impressed unfortunately. 

Maybe I'll try again in a while...or maybe I won't!  All of these flawed registrations schemes are exhausting to deal with LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think there is a strong scientific basis for assuming that from drug trials but until that can statistically be determined from seeing how many vaccinated people are re-infected with the Delta variant, nobody can say for certain. 

Long-range efficacy studies take a lot longer than has passed since the vaccines were introduced, and Delta puts a whole new spin on things as well.

Best bet is just to follow the directions from those administering it, and just plan to get a booster (third shot) in the future to play it safe.  That's my plan anyway. 

I strongly disagree with your statement that "nobody can say for certain" when in fact its common scientific knowlege that we see increase anbtibody titres in longer duration intervals and third doses. Sorry for nit-picking but since you publicly make such blanket statements and did in the past I have to call it out. Here is just one of the studies in question:

papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3873839

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Just my opinion but nobody should wait for anything.  My way of thinking is to get the first vaccine you can get jabbed with, and then later get re-vaccinated with a Western vaccine if you're concerned about the efficacy of something like SinoVac.

Couldn't agree more with that sensible approach - there is even a recommendation out of Germany to follow up on a 1st dose of Astra Zeneca with a MRNA vaccine (Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna) to elicit a strong immune response against the Delta variant.