Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

You seem to have missed the latest news (if you are talking about registration for public rollout).  Phyathai will be offering online registration beginning 12 July at 9am.

The registration will be in Google Form Format and the link of Google Form will be published on their website 12th-16th July 2021.

The period for pre-registration is between 12 and 16 July from 09.00-12.00 hours only. Most likely they will shut down well before 16 July, so do it as soon as they publish the form!  Use this opportunity ASAP or lose it, as they say

The vaccination period will be 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends), and the vaccine provided will be Astrazeneca. 

Thanks for the reminder WaveHunter.    I was aware through a friend of the Phyathai  offering and registration.     

I only wonder if the site will be able to withstand the onslaught of applicants at whatever time it is and avoid crashing as did the Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital did today.

I have a suggestion  to possibly improve registration.    I propose extending the time period of registration and dividing  it up according to doses available and the first  letter of a person's last name.    I know of no other way to  avoid  a site crashing.     Anyone who  tries to register outside his last name letter would simple be voided.

It's an idea and refining it could possibly  be an improvement over their current system which doesn't seem to work well.

13 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Thanks for the reminder WaveHunter.    I was aware through a friend of the Phyathai  offering and registration.     

I only wonder if the site will be able to withstand the onslaught of applicants at whatever time it is and avoid crashing as did the Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital did today.

I have a suggestion  to possibly improve registration.    I propose extending the time period of registration and dividing  it up according to doses available and the first  letter of a person's last name.    I know of no other way to  avoid  a site crashing.     Anyone who  tries to register outside his last name letter would simple be voided.

It's an idea and refining it could possibly  be an improvement over their current system which doesn't seem to work well.

Hopefully, since they are using Google Forms, the Google server, not the hospital's server will be handling the load, and that may preclude a crash (hopefully).  I think that's why they are only allowing a three hour registration period per day.

I'm not really sure whether they are working with a predefined quota of vaccines available, or if they are going to fulfill every request that is made.  If they have set a five day window for registration, it would seem that they should honor all requests even ones that come in right up to the closing date. 

Of course the private hospital rollout at Pattaya Memorial also promised a five day registration window but closed it down in less than 12 hours...so I guess we just have to see what happens.

All I can say for certain is that up until now, this sounds like the most well conceived registration scheme that's been offered, so I feel guardedly optimistic.

As for your suggestions, don't forget that this is Thailand we're talking about LOL.  If they merely manage to get the link published on time and there are no hitches in filling it out and posted, I'll be amazed and grateful.

Edited by WaveHunter

47 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Look I respect your opinion but I simply disagree very strongly.  Many of us have diligently tried to become registered.  Few have succeeded.  Those that have been able to did not try any harder; they were just luckier.

Registration should not be by the luck of the draw.  MorProm failed to give most expats an even chance to register, the same was true with InterVac or InterVac/expat. 

The CCSA clearly stated that you can only seek vaccinations from the Province where you reside, even though most hospitals in Bangkok were turning a blind eye to this mandate. Nobody really knew this...until it was too late to take advantage.

So, for all intents and purposes, ALL of the registrations schemes to date (both public and private) have been poorly conceived and resulted in most expats NOT being able to register, and only a lucky few being able to...simply by blind luck and nothing more.

Do I feel ill will towards those expats who were lucky enough to succeed?  No! 

Do I think that those of us who have diligently tried to register countless times but have met insurmountable obstacles every single time is unacceptable?  Absolutely!

No expat should have to go through 5+ iterations of the various registration scheme only to being frustrated each and every time, and then have a fellow expat who registered purely by blind luck reprimand them for not being diligent enough.

I don't mean this to be harsh or directed at you personally, but many on this forum seem to think that all expats have been given ample opportunity to register, and it's simply their own fault that they  did not succeed.  That is just not so!

Look I am used to be called lucky and I fully agree that the scheme has been extremely poorly managed and handled atrociously and the surrounding communications have been extremely poor, confusing and outright shameful.

Having said that I stayed up till 3 am on the 13th to secure a slot online, after spending a few hours to setup and test and alert to get an email when something changes on the Intervac website and called the Ministry of Health when you declared online that all Chonburi residents were not entitled to vaccines in Bangkok (why did you do that if you don't know for sure?) and on top of that I personally drove to MedPark and PhyaThai 2 to enquire about the vaccination process before even able to sign up. So yeah call me lucky or even call me other names but based on my personal experience there is a strong causal relationship between persistence, proactiveness and "getting lucky". Thanks and agree to disagree!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

With all due respect...GIVE IT A REST!  I said nothing about the "last guy"; nor am I saying anything about the "present guy".  I am saying that the present administration is letting us down PERIOD!  

You are the one trying to twist my words to make this sound partisan, not me.  I could give a rat's ass whether the current administration is republican or democrat!  I am talking about an administration that to date has shown a flagrant disregard for the rights of US citizens abroad PERIOD!

Agree to disagree about what your post implied. Agree to give it a rest.

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Just a side note for anyone anticipating COVID vaccination with the next 4 weeks.  Do not get a Flu vaccination in the meantime.  A nurse I spoke with the other day said that you should allow at least 2-4 weeks after influenza vaccination, before receiving a Covid vaccination.

Just posting this since it would be a shame if after all the frustrations we have gone through to hopefully be registered through Phyathai upcoming registration scheme, you had to forfeit it for having gotten a Flu shot too recently.

just to add - that applies to all vaccines - Rabies, Tetanus, Yellow Fever etc..

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

All I can say for certain is that up until now, this sounds like the most well conceived registration scheme that's been offered, so I feel guardedly optimistic.

I hope your optimism  proves to be well founded.    Otherwise, I'm forced to recall one of the definitions of insanity which is something along the lines of trying the same thing over and over again and thinking... 

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Agree to disagree about what your post implied. Agree to give it a rest.

No, I won't agree to disagree! 

You accused me of making a partisan remark which was completely unfounded.  My remark was only about the current administration not honoring a past precedent and instead they said there was no precedent (which of course was a lie), and then when I clarified my position you insulted me by saying I was being disingenuous!

However I will agree to give it a rest since your accusations are now causing this silly discussion to go off-topic.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I hope your optimism  proves to be well founded.    Otherwise, I'm forced to recall one of the definitions of insanity which is something along the lines of trying the same thing over and over again and thinking... 

Who do you think that applies to, us expats who keep trying over and over to register even though each one fails, or the officials in charge of all the failed registration schemes, that just keep coming up with new ones that have the same flaws in them?

Honestly I'm beginning to think it applies to both LOL!  

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

No, I won't agree to disagree! 

You accused me of making a partisan remark which was completely unfounded.  My remark was only about the current administration not honoring a past precedent and instead they said there was no precedent (which of course was a lie), and then when I clarified my position you insulted me by saying I was being disingenuous!

However I will agree to give it a rest since your accusations are now causing this silly discussion to go off-topic.

Not cool.

You did not give it a rest.

So here goes.

You posted this:

Will they?  With any other past Administration, I think it would already have happened.  With the present Administration, considering their track record so far for doing what's right for its' citizens, well, I'm not holding my breath.

Note the phrase ANY OTHER. Even an American toddler would first think of the last president in the currently historically charged politically divided nation.

Then you launched an unsupported  generalized partisan attack on the current president that had nothing specifically to do with the embassy policy. 

Sorry the claims of not posting partisan content simply does not wash.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not cool.

So here goes.

You posted this:

Will they?  With any other past Administration, I think it would already have happened.  With the present Administration, considering their track record so far for doing what's right for its' citizens, well, I'm not holding my breath.

Note the phrase ANY OTHER. Even an American toddler would first think of last president in the currently historically charged politically divided nation.

Then you launched an unsupported  generalized partisan attack on the current president that had nothing specigically to do with the embassy policy. 

Follow your own admonition which you repeat over and over to anyone whose words offend you and give it a rest!  This is an open forum and this thread is not your private fiefdom.  My original post was not off-topic and not a politically partisan sentiment.

FYI, the present administration is the only one that has faced a major pandemic and not addressed an urgent need voiced by its' expats citizens.  The last time such a situation existed, the Administration in office did respond swiftly. 

Who knows how other Administrations might have responded?  They were never put to  the test, but the current one IS BEING PUT TO THE TEST and have failed to respond!

BE REAL and stop trying twist my words into a partisan sentiment, which it clearly is not.  This is solely about the present Administration's failure to respond and nothing else!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not cool.

So here goes.

You posted this:

Note the phrase ANY OTHER. Even an American toddler would first think of the last president in the currently historically charged politically divided nation.

Then you launched an unsupported  generalized partisan attack on the current president that had nothing specifically to do with the embassy policy. 

I agree with Wavehunter here  - he specifically said that any other past administration which obviously includes both sides of the aisle would have handled this better so I think its fair from him as a tax paying citizen to vent his frustration about the current administration. We might have a different opinion than him and I personally doubt very much than any other administration would have handled that much better but I don't think its fair to label it partisan if by definition administrations are partisan. But now back to the topic at hand - has anybody contacted and /or heard from Samitivej?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Follow your own admonition which you repeat over and over to anyone whose words offend you and give it a rest!  This is an open forum and this thread is not your private fiefdom.  My original post was not off-topic and not a politically partisan sentiment.

FYI, the present administration is the only one that has faced a major pandemic and not addressed an urgent need voiced by its' expats citizens.  The last time such a situation existed, the Administration in office did respond swiftly. 

Who knows how other Administrations might have responded?  They were never put to  the test, but the current one IS BEING PUT TO THE TEST and have failed to respond!

BE REAL and stop trying twist my words into a partisan sentiment, which it clearly is not.  This is solely about the present Administration's failure to respond and nothing else!

This is getting truly bizarre.

I agree that President Biden should help us and as I've said before multiple times the buck stops with Biden now.

I also agree that nobody knows how previous administrations would have responded.

But recently you said the exact opposite. 

Talk about twists.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I read all that is posted here and thank goodness i got a pink card ,registered on mor phrom 6 weeks ago and got an Astra Zenica jab 4 weeks ago just down the road in Sri Racha , just hoping that they cut the 16 week wait down to 12 as has been promised.

so to all those who say the pink card is of no use  rubbish.

as for the Thailandintervac ,registered was accepted and still waiting for an appointment ,and will be this time next year.

fully agree that the Pink ID card is of use but correct me if I am wrong but I think you need to have your name entered in a Tabian Ban, be married with a Thai or have a work permit or permanent residence in Thailand to be able to apply or not?

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Just a side note for anyone anticipating COVID vaccination with the next 4 weeks.  Do not get a Flu vaccination in the meantime.  A nurse I spoke with the other day said that you should allow at least 2-4 weeks after influenza vaccination, before receiving a Covid vaccination.

Just posting this since it would be a shame if after all the frustrations we have gone through to hopefully be registered through Phyathai upcoming registration scheme, you had to forfeit it for having gotten a Flu shot too recently.

i actually got my flu jab 5 weeks before ,but reading a medical report  it said you can have them same time ,just saying what i read. it was British medical report 

Just now, VaccineHunter said:

fully agree that the Pink ID card is of use but correct me if I am wrong but I think you need to have your name entered in a Tabian Ban, be married with a Thai or have a work permit or permanent residence in Thailand to be able to apply or not?

not sure but i am married to a Thai and  have a yellow house book , mind you thousands of Burmese etc have them dont they ,doubt they are married to a Thai or own a house .

7 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

not sure but i am married to a Thai and  have a yellow house book , mind you thousands of Burmese etc have them dont they ,doubt they are married to a Thai or own a house .

yeah but the Burmese get it because because they have a work permit and subsequently a Thai ID - so your point doesn't hold any water. I am happy for you that you got vaccinated but getting a Pink ID is just not an option for many of us out here... 

Edited by VaccineHunter

1 hour ago, VaccineHunter said:

I agree with Wavehunter here  - he specifically said that any other past administration which obviously includes both sides of the aisle would have handled this better so I think its fair from him as a tax paying citizen to vent his frustration about the current administration. We might have a different opinion than him and I personally doubt very much than any other administration would have handled that much better but I don't think its fair to label it partisan if by definition administrations are partisan. But now back to the topic at hand - has anybody contacted and /or heard from Samitivej?

Thanks simply for being a voice of reason regarding my post. 

Are you referring to some development that has occured in the last 24 hours or so?  Let me know if you are. Trying to stay abreast of all of this stuff is exhausting and I may have missed something.

I spoke with a senior nurse there at length by phone the other night and she told me that they had just finished up their regular registration and knew nothing about the message appearing on InterVac concerning a "pre registration".  She specifically said that their registration which had just closed that day was a genuine registration, not a "pre-registration".

She said to check back with the hospital call center periodically since the Ministry of Health is very bad about communicating back & forth with hospitals but she did put me on hold and check with another department to be sure that was she was telling me was factual, and for certain, the hospital knew nothing about the message on InterVac...go figure LOL!

Please post if you learn more. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't know where she got that from. The plan this autumn is to give half the UK's population a Covid booster shot at the same time as they get their annual flu jab, one in the left arm and one in the right, apparently.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-of-uk-to-get-third-covid-booster-jab-to-avoid-further-lockdowns-trt6mnr8n

2 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

You need a yellow book but you don't need to be married to a Thai, have a work permit, or permanent residency. 

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks simply for being a voice of reason regarding my post. 

Are you referring to some development that has occured in the last 24 hours or so?  Let me know if you are. Trying to stay abreast of all of this stuff is exhausting and I may have missed something.

I spoke with a senior nurse there at length by phone the other night and she told me that they had just finished up their regular registration and knew nothing about the message appearing on InterVac concerning a "pre registration".  She specifically said that their registration which had just closed that day was a genuine registration, not a "pre-registration".

She said to check back with the hospital call center periodically since the Ministry of Health is very bad about communicating back & forth with hospitals but she did put me on hold and check with another department to be sure that was she was telling me was factual, and for certain, the hospital knew nothing about the message on InterVac...go figure LOL!

Please post if you learn more. 

no news from my end - just wondering if anybody contacted Samitivej as they have no acknowldgement of the Intervac registration on their website which seems odd but then what isn't odd about the vaccine rollout... 

34 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

no news from my end - just wondering if anybody contacted Samitivej as they have no acknowldgement of the Intervac registration on their website which seems odd but then what isn't odd about the vaccine rollout... 

Well it's not the first time that "official" announcements don't relate to what's actually happening, and it won't be the last time either.

We (expats in general, not exceptions) were supposed to get direct access via intervac to public system vaccines at PATTAYA hospitals long ago based on such announcements.  Didn't ever happen. After that there was talk of a local expat online registration system like in Chiang Mai and Phuket. Didn't happen. 

This opportunity for online registration at Phyathai 2 Hospital in Bangkok is obviously better than nothing for PATTAYA expats (the topic here) but practically speaking, there is no way that one short term, limited program in BANGKOK is going to actually result in vaccinations for a significant percentage of high risk expats located here. 

I will also add the obvious for anyone that hasn't made the connection yet. By not offering us anything in Pattaya in the near future, those of us that do manage to secure slots for this limited upcoming program in Bangkok are going to be exposed to infection risks that we wouldn't have if we had a LOCAL option. 

Sure, you can take a cab. If the driver is infected with Delta, that's about a 100 percent chance of spreading it on such a long ride, masked or not. 

This is NOT good enough yet. Not even close.

Edited by Jingthing

My employer has purchased the AZ vaccine for all staff, tomorrow we get the jab.

Today HR was finalizing the details and sending copies of ID's to the hospital in readyness.

hospital replied only one foreigner per business can be vaccinated according the government policy in regards to the distribution of AZ allocation.

5 Foreigners at my work so only the big boss will get the jab !!

• Thanks 1