Thailand reports new daily record of 21 deaths, 1,891 new cases, in third virus wave

webfact

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

A small increase within the general rate of decline has brought out the doomsayers again. Funny how they disappear when the numbers of infections go down....

Another note: please don't spread unconfirmed rumors. Misinformation during a pandemic can be deadly.

Small numbers, eh?

In the past 7-days, the number of infections/day has increased 15%.

In the past 7-days, the number of deaths/day has increased 128%.

As you say, small numbers.

• Like 2

Travel restrictions imposed in Thailand’s Nonthaburi province

All people living in Bangkok’s neighboring province of Nonthaburi, who want to leave the province, are now required to register via QR code, upon departure and arrival, from today (May 1st) until further notice, as the provincial administration tightens restrictions to stem the continuing surge of COVID-19 infections in the province.

Everyone is asked to stay home between 9pm and 4am, unless it is absolutely necessary. Hospitals are also advised to prohibit visits to patients by their relatives or friends.

Migrant workers are banned from leaving the province, unless they have permission from the authorities.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/travel-restrictions-imposed-in-thailands-nonthaburi-province/

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Small numbers, eh?

Week on week comparisons are useful after several months but not when we are looking at a wave that has only lasted 4 weeks so far. It's more useful to consider that the peak was around 2,800 cases and we're still way off of that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its only sad when you mean it.

All you do is play down the deaths at every opportunity. Even to the point that you said you've never heard of him.

I don't obsess over them...it's not going to bring them back; much more productive to focus on the living (don't you think). 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Sure it's sad when someone died...but as I have said many times, that's what happens in a pandemic. This death is no different than the 350 or so others in Thailand.

So what happens if the deaths keep rising and the case numbers continue on their Thai exponential flatline.The flatline you have when you're not having a flatline.

19 minutes ago, rabas said:

Except for that pesky little factor, COVID can and does spread like wildfire, other deaths don't.

Today after 1.5 years, the world hit a new record cases/day.

Agreed...that's why we all need to follow Covid-19 prevention guidelines. I wonder if this person did?

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Agreed...that's why we all need to follow Covid-19 prevention guidelines. I wonder if this person did?

Following the guidelines doesn't seem to be stopping the large number of healthcare workers getting infected.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:
21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Small numbers, eh?

Expand  Expand  

Week on week comparisons are useful after several months but not when we are looking at a wave that has only lasted 4 weeks so far. It's more useful to consider that the peak was around 2,800 cases and we're still way off of that.

How about wave-on-wave comparisons? Comparing last years 353-day First Wave and the current 31-day Third Wave.

The number of infections/day have increased over 6000%

The number of death/day have increased almost 2000%

This Third Wave is off to a flying start whichever way you grin and bear it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I don't obsess over them...it's not going to bring them back; much more productive to focus on the living (don't you think). 

Actually I think its much much more productive to avoid further deaths, not long before it may touch us all with someone we know or a family member be that here or abroad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the rest of the world trusted them they would be here seeing how Thailand achieves it's beautiful numbers.All countries test to capacity,that capacity can be at any level for any reason each country wishes it to be some choose a high capacity some choose a low capacity Thailand has chosen a low capacity for testing for reasons they have expained.There is no cover up or any need to falsify figures to achieve Thailands numbers.It's said that low testing capacity limits ability to see what is actually happening.The numbers don't show exponential growth but we already know that the numbers don't reflect the reality of the current situation so there could well be exponential growth and we could be at the bottom of a very steep hill or we might be on a plateau good lick trying to pick a winner in this race.

Trumpian logic. That country is in serious  trouble. Any foreigner who has the resources should get out pronto. Unless testing is easily accessible and free to all the data is pretty much useless. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Actually I think its much much more productive to avoid further deaths, not long before it may touch us all with someone we know or a family member be that here or abroad.

So we agree..."further deaths" can only be of the living.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Following the guidelines doesn't seem to be stopping the large number of healthcare workers getting infected.

Yea but apparently to some here there is an excuse for a death if they did not follow them. I do remember Anutin mentioning this once, seems like there's somebody here following suit:

"Anutin Charnvirakul criticised medical personnel infected with the coronavirus, drawing anger in social" 

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1243177893129097235

Edited by Bkk Brian

59 minutes ago, anchadian said:

28 Feb to 30 April is 64 days:

1,477,078  shots dispensed

Daily average 23,078 daily doses

It’s going to take a while to vaccinate 70% of bangkok at this rate. And they haven’t even finished 70% of Phuket yet!

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand set a grim daily record for COVID deaths Saturday as it reported 21 new fatalities

If the number triples it will almost total the number of daily road deaths!   Anyway it sounds like control is being lost in the absence of a decent vaccine.  

8 minutes ago, pegman said:

Trumpian logic. That country is in serious  trouble. Any foreigner who has the resources should get out pronto. Unless testing is easily accessible and free to all the data is pretty much useless. 

I'm in Thailand so I'll call it Thai logic!I've already had the virus so I feel no need to flee,fear or vaccinate.If testing was freely available and I had a positive test recorded then that should free me from the restrictions and the same should be for those that have been vaccinated as promised by the authorities (everywhere).If you've been infected or vaxed you are no longer considered a danger to society.

• Confused 1

temperature checks when traveling by land?  not  that i've seen.

people still not wearing masks in public?  yes, i've seen it at least 20 times a day, and it's not like I'm out a lot.

and if a lot of cases are asymptomatic...  well, then if you think you are in a high-risk category......stay safe until the vaccine.  

yes, 40% of people don't go in my aisle in 711....ok, whatever.

and 60% seems to be sick of the regulations....

i can't stay in my room all day if i'm allowed to go out....so i guess i'm half-dumb.  

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why are people thinking this is under control? It's just getting started thanks to Songkran travel being allowed. 

Now the more virulent strains of the virus are out and about half-measures and empty platitudes won't work any more.

Baton down the hatches, storm incoming.

And how many died from overdose, violence and vehicle accidents  , during the same period? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

It’s going to take a while to vaccinate 70% of bangkok at this rate. And they haven’t even finished 70% of Phuket yet!

People, including the news media, need to be careful how they report the vaccinations data. I saw one report earlier that said Thailand had vaccinated 1.4 million people, which would be about 2% of the population.  In fact, though, that's incorrect. They administered about 1.4 million DOSES to a total of about 1 million PEOPLE, because the numbers include those who have also gotten their second dose.

Wrong:

Screenshot_3.jpg.0493d5a9371acec93ef21401dd1022eb.jpg

Better:

Screenshot_5.jpg.1b15a8904f8341ecab047ba6aad9787f.jpg

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How about wave-on-wave comparisons? Comparing last years 353-day First Wave and the current 31-day Third Wave.

The number of infections/day have increased over 6000%

The number of death/day have increased almost 2000%

This Third Wave is off to a flying start whichever way you grin and bear it.

No one doubts the current wave is worse. The point of disagreement is whether the trend is still up or has it turned down. 

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People, including the news media, need to be careful how they report the vaccinations data. I saw one report earlier that said Thailand had vaccinated 1.4 million people, which would be about 2% of the population.  In fact, though, that's incorrect. They administered about 1.4 million DOSES to a total of about 1 million PEOPLE, because the numbers include those who have also gotten their second dose.

Wrong:

Screenshot_3.jpg.0493d5a9371acec93ef21401dd1022eb.jpg

Better:

Screenshot_5.jpg.1b15a8904f8341ecab047ba6aad9787f.jpg

This is an important point because most of those 1 million have been vaccinated with Sinovac, which is only 10% effective after the first dose. AstraZeneca, by contrast, is 80% effective 3 weeks after the first dose.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yea but apparently to some here there is an excuse for a death if they did not follow them. I do remember Anutin mentioning this once, seems like there's somebody here following suit:

"Anutin Charnvirakul criticised medical personnel infected with the coronavirus, drawing anger in social" 

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1243177893129097235

An even more recent example is the Czar saying the latest wave is the peoples fault for not doing enough to mitigate the spread and he said this days after being fined for failing to mitigate the spread of the virus.

I noticed on one of your testing graphs you posted that the record number of infections of 2800 the number of tests said about 14,000 which gives an infection rate of 20%! I tried the link you provided but could not for the life of me find those testing graphs.It would be great if you could give some navigational tips to find those graphs....Pleeeaase?I've been on holidays which is why I didn't raise the issue earlier.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

This is an important point because most of those 1 million have been vaccinated with Sinovac, which is only 10% effective after the first dose. AstraZeneca, by contrast, is 80% effective 3 weeks after the first dose.

Numbers of vaccine doses allocated by the government thus far, Sinovac compared to AZ:

1419108364_Vaccinesallocatedbygovtthru04-27-21.jpg.ec12969160755db0a32fd2dfea44ce44.jpg

52 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So what happens if the deaths keep rising and the case numbers continue on their Thai exponential flatline.The flatline you have when you're not having a flatline.

That is a likely near term scenario.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

And how many died from overdose, violence and vehicle accidents  , during the same period? 

How does that bear any sound resemblance to Covid on an OP about Covid.  It has no bearing at all.  Overdoses are self inflicted, vehicle accidents have a direct correlation to the driver or drivers actions, but Covid is indiscriminate and travels at will infecting whomever it wants to and spreads faster than a drug overdose and speeding car or motorbike.  Try again, no comparison when it comes to what the world facing as an unprecedented Novel virus.

• Thanks 1