Education visa running out. How to stay longer?

Hey there guys!

I am currently on an ED visa which I acquired during all the madness of last year and now it is running out on the 23rd.

Considering the still ongoing global climate I would obviously rather stay here for a couple more months and see things out a bit more while the light at the end of the tunnel draws closer, but not long enough to merit another 1 year education visa.

So my question is, what are my current options? I am having trouble researching this and obviously the immigration situation changes like the weather in wet season.

Ideally I would love to just go to Phuket Immigration and get myself a TR visa or something like this. Nice and simple, so probably not gonna happen knowing what the LOS is like!

What does the crowdsourced wisdom of the expat experts suggest?

(English, 35 y.o.)

Edited by Ferangatang

Excellent, that is what I was hoping to hear.

Are you guys sure that it applies to me considering this will be end of my education visa and not just another COVID extension (I wish I had just extended all this time and still had that ED money in my bank!).

Has anyone heard of someone going from an expired 1-year ED visa to a COVID extension?

13 minutes ago, Ferangatang said:

Excellent, that is what I was hoping to hear.

Are you guys sure that it applies to me considering this will be end of my education visa and not just another COVID extension (I wish I had just extended all this time and still had that ED money in my bank!).

Has anyone heard of someone going from an expired 1-year ED visa to a COVID extension?

Yes, you can apply for a Covid extension. Others in the same situation have done it.

10 hours ago, Ferangatang said:

Is it best I wait until my visa finishes or apply now? I'm guessing somewhere in between like a week prior to it expiring.

Best not to wait until your current extension expires. You will need a letter from the school stating the last day you will be attending classes to cancel your new extension apply for the 60 day extension a few days before it expires.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Best not to wait until your current extension expires. You will need a letter from the school stating the last day you will be attending classes to cancel your new extension apply for the 60 day extension a few days before it expires.

Damn it! I knew it wouldn't be that simple, my school are useless!

Wish me luck ????

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is this always required? At least for studying at a language school, the letter from the school used to apply for the extension states the end of study already, and immigration grants the extension until this day. So they have a letter stating this letter already, why would they need another one?

Yea, been learning Thai. My Thai has come along quite a bit actually. That's not my gripe.

My criticism is more to do with their handling of the visa. For example, they screwed up my first extension and only got me a 1 month. So I lost 2 months on my year. I shouldn't even be thinking about a new visa right now really as I should have another 2 months.

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Is this always required? At least for studying at a language school, the letter from the school used to apply for the extension states the end of study already, and immigration grants the extension until this day. So they have a letter stating this letter already, why would they need another one?

The existing extension has to be canaled to apply for a different type of extension. Immigration requires a letter with the date a person will no longer be attending school and that is date the extension will be canceled.

2 minutes ago, Ferangatang said:

Having an extension cancelled and then applying for a new one makes it sound like I will be in the country illegally between visas! An unnerving thought.

As soon as the cancellation is done you would apply for the 60 day extension. They would not cancel it unless you had the documents for the extension.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, jackdd said:

60 day covid extension

Just search for this in Google: "60 day covid extension site:thaivisa.com"

Simply overstay could be an option.. 555555???????????? Forgive my jokes, it is Monday and I have too much ' Power'