CCSA Shifts Focus on Household Covid-19 Infections

0279e1eee9e0d068de19b8b1b4853cb5_small.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has shifted it focus onto infections in households as the number of new cases among family members continues to rise at an alarming rate.

CCSA Spokesman Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin said health authorities’ concern now is that the disease is no longer out there but instead has already come into households, especially ones in Bangkok, citing a sharp drop in the number of new infections detected in active-case finding operations carried out in at-risk places other than local communities.

He said these fluctuations in the number of new cases are not satisfactory, and point to the need to adopt more stringent control measures, adding that the cumulative number of Covid-19 infections has risen to 67,044, with 224 deaths, and the vast majority of deaths contracted the virus from their families.

At a meeting of the CCSA on Saturday, the Department of Disease Control has set a goal of bringing daily new cases in the capital to under 400, or eight cases in each district, as the city steps up measures to control the spread.

nnt.jpg

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

what you are admitting is that the spread is further than the hotspots you are focused on and is in the greater community in large numbers.

The only way to know the extent of spread is to test everywhere not just a few locations were you think you might find it.

The people who are in their homes untested and infected will not be coming forward for tests because they don't want to be detained, the only people that will come forward are those that are very sick and need medical treatment - we have already heard horrific stories of these sick people being denied hospital treatment and left stuck at home infecting others while family members try to treat them as best they can, you filled the hospitals and medical facilities with people that didn't need to be there while ignoring the very sick who have been abandoned and left to die at home. This is a horrendous way to treat people shame on you and a pity those in charge cannot be held to account for their deeds.

There is not one thing you have done right these last two months and you continue down the same foolish path, failure upon failure - I am pretty sure Thailand now has thousands of unreported untested infections that are spreading far and wide unhindered because you refuse to perform wide spread random testing across the whole country - you are either trying to hide the numbers or scared and shamed to reveal the truth and true extent of your gross massive failure.  

We will see how stupid the Thai authorities are in the coming weeks. If infections die out, they were right. What we do know is that there are enough available indicators to know if infections are really dying out or not, such as hospital admissions. If the Thai authorities claim infections are down, but hospitals are swamped, then we know the data is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Will Thailand become the new India for Covid? I sincerely hope not. The government and health ministry should be ashamed of themselves. More testing and vaccination needed. Too little too late. They were hoping it would go away. It hasn't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DLock said:

I can't imagine the average Thai bread winner wants to be confined to a sports arena for 14 days, sleeping on a cardboard bed, making no money for their family, possibly losing their job...so they white knuckle through the virus...and spreads it to the family and friends...

Which is precisely why GOVT must pay people to be in quarantine!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

the disease is no longer out there but instead has already come into households,

What does that mean? I can just see it now, mandatorily infringing on peoples freedom of privacy by snooping in everyone's house and what they do. Everywhere in Thailand has an appointed overlord in their neighborhood. Like it or not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

concern now is that the disease is no longer out there but instead has already come into households, especially ones in Bangkok,

The Disease has always been  " out there " . It has never had the opportunity until now to be found due to a miserable performance in mass testing.

Do these people think the Virus is 3 Mtrs tall and bright Green or something.

I have news for them.

Its an an itty bitty little thing that can hide undetected for ages until a host comes along to be infected, and if you dont test randomly, you are never going to find it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What does that mean? I can just see it now, mandatorily infringing on peoples freedom of privacy by snooping in everyone's house and what they do. Everywhere in Thailand has an appointed overlord in their neighborhood. Like it or not.

Knock Knock

Whose there

It's the Covid Minders and testers

Go Away

Open up now so we can check you for Covid

Go away I said

Open up or the Immigration police will come

Go away I said

Big Joke arrives

Kick in the door boys

Door is kicked down, Foreigner is thrown on the ground, pants are removed and an Anal probe for Covid is conducted leaving the foreigner feeling violated.

Big Joke smiles widely and says, "if you had just opened the door they would have used the rapid test by putting it in your mouth", instead you get violated by my immigration boys again.  15 minutes later the photo shoot is conducted and your face with a grimace is posted with the black clad ninja immigration officer shown shoving the swab in your rear.

Does that sum up the possibilities of house to house cavity searches?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Door is kicked down, Foreigner is thrown on the ground, pants are removed and an Anal probe for Covid is conducted leaving the foreigner feeling violated.

In China that is not being violated unless the swab is bigger than a broom stick..

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Knock Knock

Whose there

It's the Covid Minders and testers

Go Away

Open up now so we can check you for Covid

Go away I said

Open up or the Immigration police will come

Go away I said

Big Joke arrives

Kick in the door boys

Big Joke smiles widely and says, "if you had just opened the door they would have used the rapid test by putting it in your mouth", instead you get violated by my immigration boys again.  15 minutes later the photo shoot is conducted and your face with a grimace is posted with the black clad ninja immigration officer shown shoving the swab in your rear.

Does that sum up the possibilities of house to house cavity searches?

They would have to use swat tactics to get over my walls. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

That is completely wrong 

to get a feel for virus spread in a pandemic you must test a random selection of the population and from that you can with reasonable accuracy extrapolate the results to accurately determine virus spread along with a lot of other useful data, without this information you are guessing and quite frankly relying on pure luck.

honestly mate you need to get back studying again because you have lost some of the fundamentals and clearly lack an understanding of how to do an assessment and population sample 

Errr... that’s what I said.

Thai authorities are randomly sampling the population, etc.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

It's what happens when complete morons are in charge.

I expect no different. Assume the very worst because that's a likely scenario.

Just out of curiously, what will be your opinion if this wave dissipates?

On 5/2/2021 at 5:00 PM, Danderman123 said:

Errr... that’s what I said.

Thai authorities are randomly sampling the population, etc.

no they are not and many people who suspect they may have been infected are not coming forward because they don't want to be detained 

This whole thing going on here right now is a total cluster <deleted>

On 5/2/2021 at 5:16 PM, smedly said:

no they are not and many people who suspect they may have been infected are not coming forward because they don't want to be detained 

This whole thing going on here right now is a total cluster <deleted>

Thai authorities announce random sampling almost every day. We know the schedule for Bangkok this week, and for Chonburi. 

I cannot ask you to prove a negative, but is it your position that they are lying about random sampling?

Thailand is chasing infections after the fact - they wait until someone is ill and reports themselves to the authorities - by that time it is too late, that one person has already spread it to others and those others have already spread to others and so on 

It takes a combination of measures to control, countries in the west limit travel and limit contact, what did Thailand do 3 weeks ago ?

They allowed masses of people to travel around the country and still have not introduced travel restrictions even now, it is almost like they wanted it to spread it was so foolish.

They have no idea of the spread right now because they do not do random mass testing which is fundamental

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Thai authorities announce random sampling

what random sampling ?

have you been tested ?, do you know anyone that has been tested - I certainly don't and the current level of testing across the whole country is 13k a day for a population of almost 70m, you really have no clue

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

That is completely wrong 

to get a feel for virus spread in a pandemic you must test a random selection of the population and from that you can with reasonable accuracy extrapolate the results to accurately determine virus spread along with a lot of other useful data, without this information you are guessing and quite frankly relying on pure luck.

honestly mate you need to get back studying again because you have lost some of the fundamentals and clearly lack an understanding of how to do an assessment and population sample 

You would probably benefit from some understanding of infectious disease epidemiology of viruses,  the study of complex relationships among hosts and infectious agents. 

It is far from a random process and the Thai epidemiologists, virologists, scientists, and health workers seem to have a very good system based on their deep understanding of Thai society and social structure.

Of course, they probably have a few statisticians helping with numbers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

This is why lockdowns are ineffective. Covid-19 is a virus that spreads indoors so keeping everyone locked up at home with numerous other family members, some of them elderly, is just going to increase the number of infections. This is why "two weeks to flatten the curve" generally turns into 3 to 6 months or more. And then you make everyone fat and unhealthy due to lack of exercise and sunlight so you increase the risk of severe illness and death.

No one is locked down into their homes. You can go outside, walk around, get fresh air, walk to the store, go to the mall etc. Yes gyms, pools, and parks are closed but your not stuck inside. Wear a mask, sanitize your hands, social distance and enjoy.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

What a shocking news.... I wrote already a few weeks back that this was the case. Same in schools. If 1 student gets a cold the class will get sick. Some more than other kids but it is normal. Here in Thailand they seemed shocked that if you live together, eat together and sleep together you have a great risk to get infected by Covid if one of the family memebers is infected. A mask in the car will not prevent that. Thailand re invents the wheel time after time

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

You would probably benefit from some understanding of infectious disease epidemiology of viruses,  the study of complex relationships among hosts and infectious agents. 

I go by what experts around the world are saying - they know more than you and your mates and evidently the people running this debacle, we have already heard from medical experts calling for certain people to be removed from post, pretty sure they have now been silenced and received some attitude adjustment.

17 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

This is why lockdowns are ineffective. Covid-19 is a virus that spreads indoors so keeping everyone locked up at home with numerous other family members, some of them elderly, is just going to increase the number of infections. This is why "two weeks to flatten the curve" generally turns into 3 to 6 months or more. And then you make everyone fat and unhealthy due to lack of exercise and sunlight so you increase the risk of severe illness and death.

strange reasoning, people always return home anyway. So those infections would be there anyway.

The lockdown is just there to stop people going to illigal bars and partying as that is one of the  biggest spreaders. So lockdowns work. Also lockdowns don't stop you from going out just at certain times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1