Sri Racha Zoo to close - forever!!

kwilco

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/sriracha-tiger-zoo-in-chon-buri-closes-its-doors-forever

On the face of it, this is great news. The establishment has been accused of a litany of abusive and negligent practices towards their animals and it means this could no longer take place there.

However, one has to be concerned about the fate of the hundreds of animals in their charge.

We have seen with the Tiger Temple that the authorities were incapable of rehousing their animals properly and one wonders how a business like the Sri Racha Zoo will o about it it.

I hope it is monitored by the authorities and that the Tigers don't end up in bottles of wine for the TCM market.

• Like 1

Sriracha Tiger Zoo owner denies permanent closure, unveils new plans

The owner of Sriracha Tiger Zoo on Sunday disowned a post on its Facebook page that the zoo had shut down permanently.

Sriracha Crocodile Farm managing director Sumeth Panyasakhon, who took over the Sriracha Tiger Zoo in Chonburi province 10 years ago, said on Saturday that the zoo had been closed for 14 days to comply with the Chonburi Communicable Disease Control Committee's measures to contain the spread of Covid-19.

He said the Facebook post by the zoo's managing director on permanent closure was not true, adding he would continue operating the zoo even if the zoo's executives do not want to.

You can read the whole story here.

• Like 1

I loved the place.  Always had a great time there loved the shows and betting on the hog races with the staff.

Many of these animals would be killed or starve in the wild they seemed pretty well taken care of at the zoo  Sorry if some think it is all about abuse and mistreatment.  But, Liberals always seem to have a problem with these places.   Hope hey can open again soon.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Zoos are prisons for animals which are not guilty of anything and which are condemned to be locked up for life only for the pleasure of a few human visitors and to enrich the owners of the place

Too bad people don't take more concern towards actual prisons and how people wind up in them. Like in the US.

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I loved the place.  Always had a great time there loved the shows and betting on the hog races with the staff.

Many of these animals would be killed or starve in the wild they seemed pretty well taken care of at the zoo  Sorry if some think it is all about abuse and mistreatment.  But, Liberals always seem to have a problem with these places.   Hope hey can open again soon.

Yeah I'd like to check it out myself. I love zoos!

Now, when you say liberals do you also mean neo-liberals? 555

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Zoos are prisons for animals which are not guilty of anything and which are condemned to be locked up for life only for the pleasure of a few human visitors and to enrich the owners of the place

Yes - these days is are very few justifications for any zoo, but the Sri Racha establishment was actually a circus and showed all the signs of speed-breeding; techniques used in Tiger farms that supply carcasses for TCM.

normally there is a "winery" nearby......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

adding he would continue operating the zoo even if the zoo's executives do not want to.

This appears to be the most questionable point ....why would he say that?