COVID-19 situation in Thailand is nearing critical point – Dr. Prasit Wattanapha

webfact

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You mean they are acting like normal Thais. I don't think these guys are any worse then normal drivers. I seen them in my area Thong lor and my previous area. Nothaburi no problems at all. Maybe its different where you are from but here they certainly don't stick out. 

Did you guys perhaps live somewhere secluded ?I can't imagine anyone in BKK thinking its a problem. Sure there are a food delivery bikes but there are motorcycle taxis and all other kinds of traffic. Did not become busier.

Maybe it stands more out in those previously desolated areas.

Well I live on a soi off Thong Lor and as soon as these guys enter the soi they give it all they can. Yes they drive incredibly fast and on both sides of the road. There are also areas along Ekamai where they park waiting to pick-up food, reducing the 4 lane road to 3 lanes.

Anyway. this thread is about the Covid situation so I will add this statement. Last week we were contacted by one of the delivery companies who told us that their driver had been tested positive. They said as long as he didn't come into the house (which he didn't) and that as long as we all wore masks everything should be ok. It was a bit of a shock phone call, but now 12 days have passed and everything seems to be ok.

2 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

Wear your face mask at all times......even while eating your dinner! Can't be too careful ????

Why are we still wearing masks after 1 1/2 years if they work? Why are we still wearing masks after 1 1/2 years if they don't work?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, howbri said:

Why are we still wearing masks after 1 1/2 years if they work? Why are we still wearing masks after 1 1/2 years if they don't work?

An other denier, people seem to have a totally wrong idea what all these measures are for. They can never eliminate the spread 100% just make it less. Just look at India or Brazil what happens when there are no measures. 

All these measures just help to get the spread down a bit to slow it down so hospitals can take it. Its crazy to think that it will stop covid. Only vaccinations can do that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

probably he meant overflowing of hospital beds, overstretch of medics.

But that is only in some places - bangkok and in the red zones.

Patients can be moved to the other provinces.

To free space they should now allow self-quarantine for asymptomatic.

It's no point keeping them, when there are symptomatic waiting at home for any treatment - already several of them died without any help 

Moving patients is a difficult process and very unpopular. We  saw results of this when Italy transfer small number to Germany (Big fuss). In Canada they have same problem with many complaints  from patients and families for those  transferred 100 km+ away.

The other provinces do not have the ICU beds to absorb any significant numbers and it is expected that they too will have a surge..

Your  demand that all asymptomatic patients isolate at home is irresponsible. Assymptomatic does not mean that people are not infectious.  These people are in fact more dangerous because they think they are ok and circulate infecting others. There isn't a real quarantine, but a separation from those who are infected from others. You forget that many of those who are in the holding centers come from places where they cannot self isolate. There can be 1 washroom for 10+ people or 5+ people in one room and communal eating space.  Please take into consideration the living conditions of the majority of Thais.   Learn from catastrophe of high rise dwellings  in EU, USA Japan and Canada. Once Covid gets into a 20+ floor high rise, it spreads like wildfire.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, howbri said:

Masks work.  UIf these minimal measures were not used, the situation would be much worse.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

FB_IMG_16200434060328579.jpg

The chart above is worthless. Factcheck.org gets funding from the Annenberg Foundation which does not have $1.8 billion in vaccine stock:

As of December 31, 2019, the Annenberg Foundation’s total assets were valued at $1.47 billion. Our endowment portfolio, which is invested to generate income to support our grantmaking and direct charitable activities, represented $1.33 billion of this figure. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah a non mask aficionado.  I have my Masks accessorized so they match my wardrobe.  When I wear my suits they are stylish like my tie and handkerchief in the top pocket.  When I workout I have my adidas mask, my puma mask my Nike mask and so on.  My sleepwear has a mask that matches my eye mask as well and that is just the mask covering the CPAP machine mouth piece, My artificial leg is affixed with the names of companies that pay me sponsorships as well, and when I wear shorts I have a matching mask for the cloth cover on the fake leg.  Don't be a mask hater.  They work and are here to keep the spread down.

Yes don't be a mask hater as there are so many fake masks that China makes. They say 70% are fake.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Today, he said, infections are on the rise and the fatality rate, which was 0.12% of all infections, has increased to 0.36%.

Well, this is finger in the wind stuff but developed countries with mass testing programs and having gone through several major waves are showing a 0.10-0.19% fatality rate.

A possible inference of a fatality rate increasing from 0.12% (normal range- limited case numbers, track & trace approach) to 0.36% is that Thailand is under reporting current COVID cases by a factor between 2-4x, which is possible based on their relatively limited testing program and a wider outbreak. 

Food for thought...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, realfunster said:

Well, this is finger in the wind stuff but developed countries with mass testing programs and having gone through several major waves are showing a 0.10-0.19% fatality rate.

A possible inference of a fatality rate increasing from 0.12% (normal range- limited case numbers, track & trace approach) to 0.36% is that Thailand is under reporting current COVID cases by a factor between 2-4x, which is possible based on their relatively limited testing program and a wider outbreak. 

Food for thought...

It is very likely that the daily numbers are under reported. 

But the relatively small daily numbers are not the potential problem - it is the rate of increase in infections that would be problematic, if it is being hidden. I don’t see any evidence that the positivity rate is both hidden and growing, though.

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

I live in Thong lor too, cant say i see them drive faster then other motorcycles. I am sure they clog up some places but that is normal in Thailand.

Good that you did not get it, but i think the risk is really low as long as you just take the stuff and use the hand gel and a mask. I certainly think its far safer then picking up stuff yourself and standing in lines waiting for food. In a way these people are taking the risks. So a bit more gratitude towards them is not a bad thing.

I think i risk it more when i go to the makro on rama iv then getting stuff from a delivery driver.

Yes, I agree with you that the risk is low. We order all our food as delivery (or cook ourselves) and we use gel every time there is a dleivery.

We will definitely stay away from Makro, Big C and Lotus on Rama 4 for a while.

4 minutes ago, petedk said:

Yes, I agree with you that the risk is low. We order all our food as delivery (or cook ourselves) and we use gel every time there is a dleivery.

We will definitely stay away from Makro, Big C and Lotus on Rama 4 for a while.

Rama 3 has a Makro we use.  never seen it very busy the past few months.  We used to shop on Rama 4, but it was always busy at all locations down in Klong Toey.  We have a few friends who live not to far up Rama 4 from Sukhumvit and they order all of their items delivered to the condo front doors.  They have even indicated that Sukhumvit is not that busy during the day like it had been.  Maybe people are finally listening and staying indoors for the most part.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Rama 3 has a Makro we use.  never seen it very busy the past few months.  We used to shop on Rama 4, but it was always busy at all locations down in Klong Toey.  We have a few friends who live not to far up Rama 4 from Sukhumvit and they order all of their items delivered to the condo front doors.  They have even indicated that Sukhumvit is not that busy during the day like it had been.  Maybe people are finally listening and staying indoors for the most part.

To be honest i was in the Big C rama IV Sunday to have a hair cut and I never seen it that empty. So your friends are right lots of less people around. But I am not outside that much so i cant say if it was just a one time thing or all the time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand can get on top of Covid provided immediate lock down to restrict spread and other safety measures social distancing wearing masks etc every effort should be made to expedite vaccine roll out for entire country. Forget about Tourism International or Domestic until at least 70% vaccinated unfortunately this means not before 2022 earliest 

More like 2027....

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Not sure why one would have to use cash. Just add your Thai bank card and you can even tip the drivers in the app. At least grab you can. I use lineman less I prefer grab.

One of the safest ways to get food. Don't have to wait yourself, minimal contact. Wide selection just perfect.

What app is that?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Captor said:

What app is that?

Really?  Grab, Line-man, Food Panda, or call the restaurant order pay and it arrives  in no time flat, well most of the time in 30 minutes or so.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

To be honest i was in the Big C rama IV Sunday to have a hair cut and I never seen it that empty. So your friends are right lots of less people around. But I am not outside that much so i cant say if it was just a one time thing or all the time.

My observations around Udon is more people are staying out of shops, malls and even markets. The most frequent shopper sighted at Tops and Villa is a green-clad Grab rider doing someone else's shopping for them.

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Really?  Grab, Line-man, Food Panda, or call the restaurant order pay and it arrives  in no time flat, well most of the time in 30 minutes or so.

I thought he was making a word joke... what app (whats app)

I can't imagine people not knowing about grab, foodpanda, lineman. 

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Yet there is a new danger out there, home deliverer   food ,which has increased  1000 fold from the virus. Young kids on scooters racing up and down the streets as fast as they can go to make a buck. I wonder how this is going to end.

With mangled motorcycles and dead riders. The traffic accident risk is higher than that of Covid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is far from contained yet with overall positive rate well over 5% from official daily published figures, this is up to 2nd May. They did not report any lab figure update for the 1st May so it looks like it was carried over to the 2nd. https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/situation.php

may update 2nd.png

Would that make May 1st and 2nd about 11,000 tests for each day?That would bump the infection rate up towards 20% if that was the case.

• Like 2