Insulin for Diabetes (Pattaya)

Hello,

I'm currently buying Novorapid and Lantus from Fascino pharmacy.

• Novorapid (5x3ml penfill) are 1,900 THB
  • Lantus (5x3ml Disposable Pens) are 4,500 THB.

The Lantus is very expense, does anyone know of any cheaper pharmacies/ hospitals around Pattaya?

Thank you,

Chris

nov0043_2.jpg

Lantus-Solostar.jpeg

Edited by Chris 19911
Add Photos

some large pharmacies should have in fridges vials of insulin for injection, some 100b per vial (don't remember potency and exact price, as I bought it sometimes ago, and it was in bangkok).

In the pharmacy they might tell you the nearest clinic, where nurse can administer for some 100b.

it's not as convenient, as pens, but much cheaper

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1

Prices are nto going to vary much by pharmacy. And in Pattaya, Fascino prices are as good as most.

Your problem is that you are getting an expensive imported brand.

Less expensive brand of the dame thing (Insulin glargine) is Glaritus.  Should save quite a bit compared to Lantus. They sell it as catridges that fit into a special  reusable pen, you probably have to buy the pen device separately.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, Sheryl said:

Prices are nto going to vary much by pharmacy. And in Pattaya, Fascino prices are as good as most.

Your problem is that you are getting an expensive imported brand.

Less expensive brand of the dame thing (Insulin glargine) is Glaritus.  Should save quite a bit compared to Lantus. They sell it as catridges that fit into a special  reusable pen, you probably have to buy the pen device separately.

The pharmacy I use (small independent shop in Sattahip) and normally is able to order anything they don't stock, says they can't find a supplier for Glaritus (or Basalin which you recommend on another thread).

They are able to sell me Lantus pens or vails, but say their suppliers don't have Glaritus or Basalin. 

Any idea where to order them? Pricing?

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

The pharmacy I use (small independent shop in Sattahip) and normally is able to order anything they don't stock, says they can't find a supplier for Glaritus (or Basalin which you recommend on another thread).

They are able to sell me Lantus pens or vails, but say their suppliers don't have Glaritus or Basalin. 

Any idea where to order them? Pricing?

The distributor for Glaritus  is Berlin pharma https://www.berlinpharmaceutical.com/en/home-english/

Suggest you call to verify they still have it and, if they do, tell your pharmacy to order from them

You might also ask Medisafe if they have it (have to use messenger function not web search)

https://medisafepharma.com/?fbclid=IwAR0NhUJUdRyIsNan4DSPwp5unqvoMuIbAIHhWelzlR5-P3E-b8jjLKYM6_Q

Medtidem, another online pharkmacy, does nto have Glaritus but does have Semglee which, while also imported, costs have 1,000 baht less than Lantus and is same thing

https://medtide.com

You have to register an account first then use search box at the top

There are much, much cheaper insulin alternatives with locally made insulin brands but they are not exactly the same formulation as what you are all using so need a doctor's advice to change. AND these much less expensive options are usually nto pre-filled pens, you'd have to learn to draw up correct dose from a vial.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are much, much cheaper insulin alternatives with locally made insulin brands but they are not exactly the same formulation as what you are all using so need a doctor's advice to change. AND these much less expensive options are usually nto pre-filled pens, you'd have to learn to draw up correct dose from a vial.

Drawing from a vial is not a problem.

Do you have any suggestions as to which readily available, cheap insulin has the most similar formulation/purpose to Lantus, so I can enquire with my Doctor?

31 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Drawing from a vial is not a problem.

Do you have any suggestions as to which readily available, cheap insulin has the most similar formulation/purpose to Lantus, so I can enquire with my Doctor?

It is rather complicated and would likely mean a change to your other insulin as well. And has to be customized according your bloud sugar and history etc.

Your doctor will know the options. Just tell him/her you want less expensive locally made jnsulin and are OK with drawing up from a vial.

Doctors here often  assume you want the very latest/newest medications (and indeed think anything else might offend). It is up to you to tell them that cost is a constraint and you are fine with local brands.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Your doctor will know the options. Just tell him/her you want less expensive locally made insulin and are OK with drawing up from a vial

My Dr is US based and unlikely to know the less expensive local options in Thailand. 

Can you offer any guidance on what's inexpensive and readily available locally so I can pass that info on to the US Dr?

Edited by ftpjtm

4 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

My Dr is US based and unlikely to know the less expensive local options in Thailand. 

Can you offer any guidance on what's inexpensive and readily available locally so I can pass that info on to the US Dr?

Tell your doctor:

1. Biosulin 30:70

Human insulin (30% soluble insulin, 70% isophane insulin)

2.  Biosulin R

Regular Insulin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Tell your doctor:

1. Biosulin 30:70

Human insulin (30% soluble insulin, 70% isophane insulin)

2.  Biosulin R

Regular Insulin

Thanks Sheryl. You're responses and advice are alway appreciated. 

Edited by ftpjtm