Thailand reports 2,419 new coronavirus cases, 19 new deaths

webfact

Replying respectively to JackSalesman regarding mask use above, I posit that it depends on what location one's talking about. Last March I was living in Din Daeng and it was/is crowded and hardly anyone was using masks except in the malls and not always there and there was no Covid and it was a conundrum to me. Now Din Daeng has some of the highest numbers. It just took time.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Agree.

When Melbourne, Au reached ~ 1000 cases per day they went into HARD lockdown that lasted 112 days. Currently that state has zero daily positive from testing. Few days ago another state WA had ~ 2 or 3 test positive and went into 3 day lockdown. Sydney recently had couple of + tests and other states of Oz banned entries from some areas. 

Bangkok is not in lockdown. Far from it.

Granted different countries so comparison is over simplifying the issue.

A 3 day lockdown is completely useless, if you work with a premise that you need a 14 day quarantine to cover the incubation period.

People were told in March 2020 to lockdown for 2 weeks to stop the spread of the virus. Melbourne had minimal cases and it took 4 months of locking up the entire population to bring cases to near 0.

How long do you think that lockdown would have to be in BKK where cases are higher? 

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Masks are only as good as the people who wear them.

The recent research has shown that masks can be very effective at preventing transmission of the virus, especially when both the infected person and those around are both wearing masks.

But, in real life, things fall down.  The current outbreak got started in the clubs and entertainment venues of BKK where pretty much no one was wearing masks inside those places at the time. And now lately, it's spreading from family member to family member where, once again, people aren't wearing masks at home.

The failing isn't of the masks... it's of the people.

Compliance and how people were masks has not changed from last April to now. But testing has increased.. hence more cases.

Also look at excess mortality in January and February 2020. Thailand , Singapore had higher deaths than the historic average - after their Lockdowns, deaths decreased below the average for most of 1 year.

Would it be infeasible to assume that covid existed in Asia before it was isolated, named? Maybe the Wuhan strain was not the origin but a mutation which was more aggressive - this could explain why Covid traces were found in wastewater in Spain and in blood samples in Italy before covid officially existed in late 2019.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Miami007 said:

Compliance and how people were masks has not changed from last April to now. But testing has increased.. hence more cases.

Also look at excess mortality in January and February 2020. Thailand , Singapore had higher deaths than the historic average - after their Lockdowns, deaths decreased below the average for most of 1 year.

Would it be infeasible to assume that covid existed in Asia before it was isolated, named? Maybe the Wuhan strain was not the origin but a mutation which was more aggressive - this could explain why Covid traces were found in wastewater in Spain and in blood samples in Italy before covid officially existed in late 2019.

There are snippets of data indicating that something was around before the Wuhan outbreak.

If the virus mutated in Wuhan from an earlier, less lethal strain, then it might not have been noticed prior to Wuhan.

9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its a sad reality of the situation now, there's no getting away from it. I fear the only light at the end of the tunnel is herd immunity through vaccinations and we know how long thats going to take here.

True. But we should be thankful that there are vaccines that are so efficacious and that they are available. It will take a bit longer than we would like. But we'll get there eventually. Patience and perseverance are what's required now. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The recent research has shown that masks can be very effective at preventing transmission of the virus, especially when both the infected person and those around are both wearing masks.

But, in real life, things fall down.  The current outbreak got started in the clubs and entertainment venues of BKK where pretty much no one was wearing masks inside those places at the time. And now lately, it's spreading from family member to family member where, once again, people aren't wearing masks at home.

N95 masks really work well.  They are leaps and bounds better.  The problem is getting them.  And if you get one you can't just use the same thing day after day.  I cycle through my four and it's worked - you technically cannot reuse them but they are far better re-used than a standard mask.  

Its important to really keep yourselves safe right now.  With space running out of hospitals the chances of having no care becomes high.  Please be very careful.

Consider when you get home washing your face well after taking your mask off too.  And don't forget to sterilize your phone, keys, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Sars Cov 2 virus is said to be 20 smaller than smoke particles, so yesterday I gave my mask the "Bong Cloud Test".The result was there was no discernible difference in the size of the bong cloud between wearing the mask and not wearing the mask.The only thing the mask did was deflect the smoke around the mask, before billowing into the surrounds.So I give masks the big thumbs down.If you think these surgical masks stop virus laden air from entering the lungs imagine how effective they would be in a burning smoke filled room. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The importance of keeping the Indian variant out of Thailand is being demonstrated by its upsurge in cases in the UK. While the UK is now at low numbers, its the fastest growing variant via imported cases and is now officially classified as a "variant of concern"

"The subtype of the Indian variant that has been moved to "variant of concern" today by Public Health England. First, it’s clear case numbers from this lineage are growing faster than other imported variants have done in the UK."

Lets keep this bad boy out!!

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1390666071724765185

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So I give masks the big thumbs down.If you think these surgical masks stop virus laden air from entering the lungs imagine how effective they would be in a burning smoke filled room.

It's a percentage reduction.  Smoke filled room, you need your own gas supply!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I posted this link in another OP a few ago, but it should be here with what we are discussing as far as testing goes.  It appears the Indian Variant is in the UK and has been deemed to be very worrying and they are conducting what they call surge testing to locate and corral the cases.  Something Thailand should be doing with this UK variant we are seeing now.  If the Indian variant gets here, well then what we are seeing so far with this wave will be just Childs play.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/british-officials-warn-over-indian-coronavirus-variant-reports-2021-05-07/

"We're doing a huge amount, obviously, to make sure that when we do find outbreaks of the Indian variant that we do surge testing, that we do door-to-door testing."

PHE cited evidence that it spreads more quickly than the original version of the virus and could spread as quickly as the so-called "Kent" variant which fueled England's second wave of infections.

• Like 1

Outside Tesco, Rama 4 Klong Toei area today there was huge white tents in the carpark, about 1,000 Thais, Dr's and nurses giving out free vaccinations, it was very WONDERFUL to see common folks getting covid protection. 

Nurse in charge was asking people to come in and be vaccinated, I jokingly asked if I could be vaccinated. She said NO! I wasn't offended, I knew it was 99.9% Sinovac the Chinese vax and I didn't want it anyway. 

What did disturb me was her attitude, which is about 50% of Thai Gov/people who are anti farangs. That is RACISIM! In stark contrast the other 50% of Thais are NON racist and are wonderful people. And I for one LOVE them!

Covid will expire sooner or later and Thailand wants tourism to return, the Gov would do well to STOP the racist attitudes and look to the future.  

34 minutes ago, joe jadore said:

What did disturb me was her attitude, which is about 50% of Thai Gov/people who are anti farangs. That is RACISIM! In stark contrast the other 50% of Thais are NON racist and are wonderful people. And I for one LOVE them!

The racism is just disgusting.  Also it tells me someone like this is stupid. Do I really want someone like this giving me the jab?

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Either I will be proven right or proven wrong over the coming days and months.

Can’t argue with that statement , at least.   As to the rest . . . ??

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I went for aa drive with the family yesterday just to get outside of BKK.  We all had our masks on in the car, but I watched as other cars drove by filled with families and low and behold no masks.  Waiting on a law to forbid drinking a soda while driving as well....

Do you wear your masks to bed too?

9 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The Sars Cov 2 virus is said to be 20 smaller than smoke particles, so yesterday I gave my mask the "Bong Cloud Test".The result was there was no discernible difference in the size of the bong cloud between wearing the mask and not wearing the mask.The only thing the mask did was deflect the smoke around the mask, before billowing into the surrounds.So I give masks the big thumbs down.If you think these surgical masks stop virus laden air from entering the lungs imagine how effective they would be in a burning smoke filled room. 

The virus doesn’t just float away by itself while you are exhaling or coughing, it travels in water droplets.

Those water droplets are what is trapped by face masks.

Nice try trying to disprove science using a bong, you are a regular Galileo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The virus doesn’t just float away by itself while you are exhaling or coughing, it travels in water droplets.

Those water droplets are what is trapped by face masks.

Nice try trying to disprove science using a bong, you are a regular Galileo.

Yes it does just float away, like the experts keep telling us this virus is airborne, this has been known from the beginning but some people think that it's only transmitted by droplets which is why so many health care workers get infected at work.Take a look at the story in the link, it's a worry when so many refuse to listen to the experts and at least I did some independent research to confirm what our internet friends tell us.Follow the science and get up to date.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-04/covid-19-aerosol-spread-concerns-in-melbourne-hotel-quarantine/13120058

• Sad 2