Buriram becomes first Thai province to penalize refusal for COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Thailand was among the first nations to sign the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948 and seemed committed to safeguarding Human Rights in Thailand. In practice, the reality has been that the powerful can abuse the human rights of their subjects with impunity.

"quoted from google"

Thank you, yes.  Unfortunately, I believe this is not legally binding.  More of an aspirational thing.

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Democracy?  Nope.  Totalitarian state with the dictatorial powers residing in the offices of governors in order to take the heat off of the so-called Czar. 
This will be the template for Thailand.  Guaranteed.  Just like provincially mandated mask wearing, this will catch on with the other governors like wild-fire. 
"Shut up, line up, get a shot, if you get sick and die, so sad too bad.  It's for the greater good." 
And it will not hurt the profits of CP or Siam Bioscience either. 

Wait.  Let's see how the Thai population responds to the heavy handedness.  It may be entertaining.  I have no dog in the fight.  I've already assumed that Thai Immigration will mandate shots for visa extensions in 2022.  But a "free" Thai citizen in this land of Freedom and Democracy <cue Chart Thai>? 
Let's wait and see.

While I hope you're wrong about the shot mandates for visa extensions in 2022, it could happen (it definitely won't be this year of course...but sometime in 2022...possibly). For now, it's Thais that are being targeted by this totalitarian measure. In Cambodia, they've started to mandate vaccinations too - starting with people in the "red zones" in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and a few other places, and for government workers. Later, it will be expanded to cover various groups of occupations. Not sure if they can mandate rice farmers and those not employed in the formal sector can be vaccinated...but this ruling in Buri Ram sure seems to suggest that so it could be the same in Cambodia.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

LOL. Foreigners aren't covered here. Only Thais. Even so, it's a shocking abuse of power and human rights. Everyone should be treated with dignity and have bodily autonomy, whether Thais or foreigners. Even if this mafia like ruling is never applied to foreigners, my heart goes out to the poor Thais that may/will be affected by this. 

Not covered... today.  Could change tomorrow.

Then change back next week.

Then flip flop again the week after.

Talk about russian roulette ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

penalties as high as two years in prison and a maximum of 60,000 Baht.

imagine back home if you are forced.   and your family member dies...

lawsuits until it's raining cats and dogs......payouts in the trillions

here........it's a mai bpen rai kap.  ok, next!!!

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, JayBird said:

It's an interesting point if this is a 'Human Rights' violation or not.  As far as I know, such things are handled by the Country's own legislation, rather than being dictated by say the UN.

I do not know if Thailand has a Human Rights Act (such as the UK, Australia, etc.).  And how many ways that could be interpreted.

I do know some legislation takes into consideration the concept of 'Right To Life', and could be used in this situation to state that by an individual not taking the vaccine they are endangering the right to life of others.

Legally, I doubt that anything could be done about forced vaccination, certainly not in time, and very unlikely by a foreigner.  And the foreigner always has the option to simply leave if they do not like the rules here, so do not expect much help from your home country.

Note: I'm not anti-vaccine.  I'm all for it.  Show me the approved and tested stuff from the US/EU and I'll roll up both sleeves.  However, I have yet to see sufficient data and independent research on the vaccines developed in China to give me the confidence that they are safe and effective.

I'm pretty sure foreigners would be able to fight forced vaccination more easily than a Thai. We tend to be more aware of our rights, and in the worst case scenario could always leave the country. We certainly won't be held here and forcibly vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"imagine back home if you are forced.   and your family member dies..."

That's actually a very interesting point. I wonder if there is a disclaimer you have to sign, and even if there were, would it hold up in court? My guess is not. 

Obviously, no one is Buriramland has thought about this very deeply. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I'm pretty sure foreigners would be able to fight forced vaccination more easily than a Thai. We tend to be more aware of our rights, and in the worst case scenario could always leave the country. We certainly won't be held here and forcibly vaccinated. 

Cute

11 minutes ago, connda said:

I just talked to the Mrs about the dictatorial powers of Thai governors.  She responded with a comment directed at the governor that was a reference to male genitalia. The Mrs was never a blushing lass. 
She then shared a spreadsheet she received by someone connected to our local goverment regarding the numbers of villagers taking their government up on their vaccination offer and registering for a vaccination (the Mrs was invited to sign up almost a month ago so vaccination registration has been open for quite awhile).  The average number of those registering was about 30% of villagers from all local villages, in other word, 70% don't want the shot.  In one of the largest villages only 5% of the villagers signed up.  So if you don't know what rural Thais think about all this vaccination rigamarole - now you do.  A lot of the issues involve knowing the global track record of the AZ vaccine and the number of countries rejecting the vaccine.  My Mrs doesn't want to assume the risk.  She is not giving informed consent to take the experimental AZ vaccine that is authorized only under emergency authorization.
Rule 1 of the Nuremberg Code.
The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential. This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion; and should have sufficient knowledge and comprehension of the elements of the subject matter involved as to enable him to make an understanding and enlightened decision.

And here I thought Thais lived in a bubble.  I guess that rural Thais are a little more worldly than I previously thought.  Good for them.
I think mandating masks is one thing as most Thais go along.
But mandating shots?  Repeatedly stating that the manufacturers say they are "safe" doesn't inspire confidence when people are getting sick after vaccinations and suffering from the same symptoms - blood clots.  Yeah, mandating shot will be a different buffalo. 

From the Thai National Anthem:
Thais love peace, but are not afraid to fight. 

I wonder if this will be the straw that broke the camel's back?

Agree with almost everything you mentioned aside from AZ. It's actually Sinovac that they are using there. There in no more AZ till June or July

• Like 2

Just now, sungod said:

I'm kinda confused, first we had a bunch or foreingers complaining they couldn't get a vaccine, now we have a bunch of foreigners complaining they will be forced to have one. ????

It's just not a vaccine they would trust. That's why... Would you?

• Like 2